Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Eirules
Topic Author

Europe To South Africa In J

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Hey all

I'm planning to fly DUB-JNB next March in J. There are loads of options including BA, AF, KL, EY, EK, TK and VS. Does anyone have suggestions based on seat, service, lounge, trip length etc

Thanks
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

fallap

RE: Europe To South Africa In J

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 am

I can only speak for TK in terms of J. But they are highly recommended, the food is beyond awesome, service is usually great and you get a duvet and an actual pillow.  
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

signol

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Whereabouts in SA will you be headed? Only Emirates fly to Durban, several fly to Cape Town and Johannesburg has the biggest choice.
Also bear in mind transfer times. Connecting in the middle east can add hours to the journey over a European connection, and break up what might be a good sleep in J.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Eirules
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Planning to fly into Cape Town and out of Port Elizabeth or vice versa. Since no European airline flies to PLZ I will probably fly into JNB instead. If it's better value to just book a return to JNB and then do 2 internal flights separately that's ok too

OA260

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:11 pm

DUB ADD 1845#0615 ET 505 B788
ADD JNB 0840 1310 ET 809 B77L

Good fares from DUB too.  

Eirules
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):

Yeah I was considering ET but heard mixed reports and that connecting in ADD is a bit of a nightmare

reifel

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:50 pm

TK has a great product and a wonderful lounge in IST.
There are airlines that do cooperate either with BA (Comair) or SA to offer domestic feeders with South Africa. I.e. you could fly LX to JNB and then connect on the same ticket on BA or SA. Not sure if pricewise this is good though, but i would do a search for that if that is your final destination! Do not use ET to CPT, as I believe they use a 737 and they have an enroute stop in Botswana, it takes ages.

signol

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:50 pm

I took ET to JNB last month. Connecting wasn't a nightmare as such. All terminal facilities are in the international zone, but before security check. On one direction, the security queue was very long. North bound it was quite short.
In SA, buy separate tickets on for domestic flights. Kulula and Mango are the cheapest, BA and SAA more expensive. Often the price difference isn't worth it. But SAA do send a widebody once per day JNB - CPT.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

gabrielchew

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I was going to suggest ET as well! I nearly booked DUB-ADD-JNB last week as they had the cheapest o/w Y fare, but ended up on QR in the end. ADD might not be the best hub, but it is a lot quieter than connecting in most other hubs.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

GRJGeorge

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I'd go for ET or QR...but ET just for the fun of it. The ADD-CPT flights start end June, the stop in GBE is short.
Internal in South Africa the low cost carriers are Kulula, Mango, SkyWise and FlySafair. Currently FlySafair offers best prices and flies between JNB, CPT, PLZ and George (GRJ)...which is between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth.

reifel

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Quoting GRJGeorge (Reply 9):
The ADD-CPT flights start end June, the stop in GBE is short.

But it's still a flight on a single aisle aircraft. I doubt ET fits them with fully lie flat sat... But I might be wrong.
Considering the total length of the flight another carrier may be more value for money in this regard.

seat64k

Fri May 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Airline is really a subjective choice. I can speak to seats though.

At JNB, morning flights usually land from the east. The view isn't worth writing poems about - on either side - but I do like the left better - at least you see the airport buildings as you land.

Cape Town morning landings are usually from the south. The right hand seats have a great view of the Cape Flats and Table Mountain.

andz

Sat May 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Quoting seat64k (Reply 11):
At JNB, morning flights usually land from the east.

That's quite tricky with runways 03/21.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

seat64k

Sun May 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 12):
That's quite tricky with runways 03/21.

Bugger, I had my directions completely mixed up. Got both wrong  
Quoting seat64k (Reply 11):
At JNB, morning flights usually land from the east. The view isn't worth writing poems about - on either side - but I do like the left better - at least you see the airport buildings as you land.

Cape Town morning landings are usually from the south. The right hand seats have a great view of the Cape Flats and Table Mountain.

Should read:

At JNB, morning flights usually land from the south. The view isn't worth writing poems about - on either side - but I do like the left better - at least you see the airport buildings as you land.

Cape Town morning landings are usually from the north. The right hand seats have a great view of the Cape Flats and Table Mountain.

Of course, this is my experience only. YMMV.