Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ben175
Topic Author

Missing 1 Leg Of A Ticket

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi a.netters,

One of my friends is booked to travel through Europe in June and has run into an issue. She booked a flight back to PER from CDG via LHR and DXB on BA/QF/EK under one ticket. But now, her plans have changed and she has ended up in London instead of Paris at the end of her journey. She has rung Qantas to try and cancel the British Airways flight from ORY to LHR and is being quoted absolutely ludacris fees to cancel the flight ($1,030!)

I was wondering, what would happen if she was a no show for the ORY-LHR flight and simply turned up to the QF counters in LHR? Would she be turned away for not flying on the first leg of the ticket - or would they not even realise?

Any help on this matter is appreciated!

[Edited 2015-04-29 05:35:21]

[Edited 2015-04-29 05:35:50]

ElanusNotatus

RE: Missing 1 Leg Of A Ticket

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:42 pm

It would depend on the conditions attached to the fare.

Some airlines will automatically cancel subsequent sectors if there is a no-show for an earlier sector. It might be that she would be accepted for boarding but still have to pay a revalidation fee.

I wish her luck but hope that she has adequate travel insurance.
Crawl, walk, fly into the future

Cipango

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 pm

Quoting ben175 (Thread starter):
I was wondering, what would happen if she was a no show for the ORY-LHR flight and simply turned up to the QF counters in LHR? Would she be turned away for not flying on the first leg of the ticket

99.9% of the time the full ticket will be cancelled and called a no-show. Doubtful that you're the 0.01%.

Quoting ben175 (Thread starter):
or would they not even realise?

Its not that a person won't realise its that the computer will cancel the ticket.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

B742

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:19 pm

This situation happened with me a couple of years back.

I ended up in New York and was due to fly BWI-JFK-LHR, I checked with DL but they said my entire journey would be cancelled if I missed the BWI-JFK leg.

In the end I had to catch a Greyhound down to Baltimore, then a cab, then a CRJ back to New York (JFK).

signol

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Miss one leg and all subsequent flights will be cancelled. So the only possible leg to miss would be the last. So in this case, buy another one way to Paris... Eurostar are quite cheap booked in advance.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

CXfirst

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:36 pm

A lot of destinations charge higher prices. Often a flight from A to B to C, will be cheaper than B to C, due to demand at B allowing for that price.

London is often one of those B markets. I once had someone ask me if I could find a cheap ticket from London to Chicago, found it cheaper to buy a one way Aer Lingus LGW-DUB, and then connect onto a BA DUB-LHR-ORD, than just buying the LHR-ORD leg. How is that for crazy!

Now, if anyone could just buy that DUB-LHR-ORD ticket, and just show up at LHR, it breaks this system, therefore fares often do not allow for this. Miss one leg, and the rest of the ticket is cancelled. Also includes returns, miss the outbound, return is often cancelled.

-CXfirst

hongkongflyer

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 4):
Miss one leg and all subsequent flights will be cancelled. So the only possible leg to miss would be the last.

A off topic question, what if I intentionally miss the final leg will it affect my milage collection?
Of cause miles for the final leg will not be given, however, how about miles for earlier legs?

reifel

Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Quoting hongkongflyer (Reply 6):
A off topic question, what if I intentionally miss the final leg will it affect my milage collection?
Of cause miles for the final leg will not be given, however, how about miles for earlier legs?

You would most likely get mileage for all actually flown segments