mfc
Topic Author

Emirates Chauffeur Service Question

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm booked on a MAD-DXB-SIN flight next Summer. My parents and I are booked in Economy Class but my sister got a ticket in Business Class with the complimentary chauffeur drive both in Madrid and Singapur. Do you think that there would be any problems if the three of us use the service with my sister? Has anyone of you already done something like that? I assume that the car would be a saloon so there would enough seats for all of us.

Regards,

Martin
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

possum79

RE: Emirates Chauffeur Service Question

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 am

I did MEL-AKL back when they were offering the service on trans-Tasman routes. I was in J and Mum in Y. The chauffeur got pretty grumpy - especially when Mum was a couple of minutes later to the car than I was - but he took us both.

I clearly remember him saying to me "Well, my booking shows one passenger, a Mr Possum79, and I've got Mr Possum79 on board, so I'm leaving."
I could see her coming so convinced him to wait - he wasn't happy about it though. Let us know how you get on!

blueflyer

Fri May 01, 2015 5:53 am

In Singapore, colleagues and I had to book two cars for a party of four due to a limit of two passengers per car. I don't know how it is enforced (at booking or by the driver) as I didn't handle the reservations. We all traveled individually to DXB, and together to SIN, so I don't know either whether this restriction is unique to Singapore or not (or indeed still valid since it was two years ago). We also were all in paid C, and entitled to a car each anyway.

You can certainly try still, but I'd make alternate plans to get to the airport on time just in case. You're assuming that the driver will be willing to take on three more passengers than his route sheet tells him to, that he'll be willing (and authorized) to let one of you sit in the front passenger seat, and that the car will be big enough for your party and luggage (sometimes it's a cab without the sign). Four times!

If anything, I'd think it more likely to happen on the way to the airport, rather than from where the chauffeur runs the risk of running into a manager or colleague who notices the excess number of passengers.
Corona is God’s punishment for the amoral, principles-free, holier-than-thou Evangelicals. The rest of us are just collateral damage

gabrielchew

Sat May 02, 2015 10:08 am

I think you might get away with 1 extra person, but 3 extra people is too many. I'd fully expect the chauffeur to say no to any extra passengers.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

mfc
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2015 11:26 am

Thank you for your responses. After reading your comments I guess that I'll book the car for my sister in Madrid, and if it's possible I will go with her in the car and my parents in their own car. Since she has paid a lot of money for the ticket and the service is paid, at least we will make use of it.

In Singapore we won't try, though. I don't know how the driver would react and it's too much hassle in an airport I don't know.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Martin

luv2fly

Sat May 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Couldn't you ask eK the name of the service providor and then call and ask them about the rate to bring three people.
You can cut the irony with a knife

possum79

Sun May 03, 2015 9:52 pm

As an aside, here's what happened when I travelled FCO-DXB-AKL with a bike (in a box) a few years back, taken from a personal diary/blog type thing I kept during the trip...

"...Chauffeur man showed up bang on time in a stylish, black Audi A6 station wagon. He took one look at my bike box and turned all Italian-taxi-driver.

Despite insisting we could fold the seats down ("Ees impossible") the box could fit across the back seat and I could sit in the front ("Not allowed") and finally asking him if he knew what a Toyota Starlet was "because we got the whole f**king lot in one of those going to Wellington airport!", he buggered off, leaving me stranded outside the hotel. Brilliant.

The lovely concierge called me a taxi...which didn't turn up...then called another, which showed up and we bunged the lot in the back. Mr Taxi drove like my grandmother and chainsmoked the entire 30 minute drive to the airport. I was getting plenty stressed, not to mention cancer-y, by now and was relieved I'd allowed plenty of time to get there! It’s always a relief when you’re getting close to the time, then you start seeing planes in the sky so you know you’re getting close.

I paid €55 for the privilege of being driven there with the added bonus of getting primary lung cancer, much to the horror of Emirates' check-in staff. After I had my wine wrapped and put in another bag, which was then wrapped, I dropped my bike at oversized luggage. Then I was free to head off to the business-class lounge, where I planned to have a beer, grab a quick shower then jump on the Boeing 777-300ER for the five hour jaunt to Dubai."

LAXintl

Sun May 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Per the terms and conditions of a chauffeur booking for a colleague it states:

Chauffeur-drive service is available only to First Class and Business Class passengers holding paid tickets with confirmed reservations in First Class or Business Class on Emirates-operated flights.
The service is available only if the booking is ticketed and is not available to passengers who are waitlisted for an Emirates flight or for passengers collecting tickets on departure.
Chauffeur-drive service is not available on reward tickets booked via Emirates Skywards airline partners for travel on Emirates (with the exception of Qantas).
Chauffeur-drive service is intended solely for the exclusive use by named passengers travelling in First Class and Business Class that hold confirmed Chauffeur-drive service reservations.
Chauffeur-drive service is not available on complimentary tickets or complimentary upgrades from Economy Class to Business Class.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

initious

Mon May 04, 2015 2:38 am

Quoting mfc (Reply 4):
In Singapore we won't try, though. I don't know how the driver would react and it's too much hassle in an airport I don't know.

I am doing the limousine business in Singapore and airlines give companies the contract for the chauffeur service. Usually, the maximum allowed in a saloon car is 2 pax. Some may twist the rules by a bit and allow 3 but 4 is unheard of in our industry since it will be very uncomfortable even in a Merc or BMW. Some companies do not allow any passengers in the front seat (I don't know why) so usually 2 is the maximum in a car.

Anyway, Singaporeans are usually not so flexible (but not to the point that we're inflexible) so they tend to go by the book. You'll enjoy seamless connection from your flight to your limo so do not worry!
One day I will fly around the world!

mfc
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks for your replies guys!

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 5):
Couldn't you ask eK the name of the service providor and then call and ask them about the rate to bring three people.

I could, but I wanted to know about personal experiences first.

Quoting possum79 (Reply 6):
Despite insisting we could fold the seats down ("Ees impossible")

In some of those cars folding the seats down is not possible. I don't know about the A6, but I can tell that for the BMW 7 series that feature is not even an option when buying the car. In any case, that driver was very rude, it was not your fault that the bike didn't fit into the car. He could have arranged an alternative transportation or offer some help I guess.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 7):
Per the terms and conditions of a chauffeur booking for a colleague it states:

Thanks, I read those conditions before starting this threat but somewhat I skipped the condition you highlighted, which is pretty clear. In any case, Spaniards are generally flexible and I guess the driver wouldn't mind to have an additional passenger, although if there are issues with the insurance then that's another story.

Quoting initious (Reply 8):
Anyway, Singaporeans are usually not so flexible (but not to the point that we're inflexible) so they tend to go by the book

That's what I thought, we can go to our hotel by taxi or train anyway.

RussianJet

Tue May 05, 2015 12:33 am

A ratio of one J to three Y is probably taking the piss a little. I would make alternative arrangements if I were you.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

jbflyguy84

Thu May 07, 2015 3:54 am

I had no problem at all when I used the service ex JFK. Car arrived on time at my Manhattan hotel and myself and my friend (who was actually travelling on BA to LHR) got in and off we went. No odd looks, no questions at all. Very pleasant experience