Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Songs That Remind Of Particular Airlines, Airports

Mon May 04, 2015 2:53 am

I was looking at a trip report just now while listening to music. Suddenly, Buried Alive by Avenged Sevenfold came on and thoughts of a Delta CR9 departing IAH at dawn filled my head.

I vividly remember the first time I found out about Flightaware. I remember being in my room at 05:00 tracking flights. My favorite was a Delta CR9 doing IAH-ATL. I was listening to that song while tracking it. So now, that's what pops in my head when I hear it.

This one is a bit weird. Every time I fly US Airways out of IAH, I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift pops in my head. Nothing weird about a big guy walking around IAH singing Taylor Swift under his breath  

I can't be the only one. What are some songs that trigger aviation thoughts?
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Songs That Remind Of Particular Airlines, Airp

Mon May 04, 2015 3:03 am

I was driving by EWR once really early in the AM (around 4am) on a road-trip and a United 757-200 was on approach while I had "All the Right Moves" by OneRepublic playing. IT just struck me as a good song to describe the dramatic beauty of such a pretty plane soaring through the night sky. To this day, whenever I hear that song, I think of that United 757 landing before dawn.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Ytraveller

Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 am

Mine are more like songs actually used by the airlines...

Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé = BA (it's used in their safety video, plus I've heard it in a video game of all places)

Rhapsody in Blue = UA of course (I love it in the pre-merger safety videos)

AA's old jingle (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rts3ezaXQBs ). Gives me the goosebumps!

seat1a

Mon May 04, 2015 3:34 am

LA International Airport ... Where the big jet engines roar. Sung by Susan Raye. Great song from the 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8f30Iguw0

aloges

Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am

"The Unforgettable Fire" by U2 reminds me of United.

More specifically: Travelling to FRA from (probably) ORD overnight on one of their 777s, I hadn't been able to fall asleep, so I made the best of my window seat. Blanket over my head and around the outline of the window, I spent lots of time staring outside and managed to find another plane flying parallel to mine. Watching those distant strobes accompanying us across much of the ocean was strangely reassuring; the North Atlantic airways are of course busy, but that night I was actually shown how very "not alone" you are up there.
As we crossed Ireland early in the morning, I started losing sight of the other aircraft, but got to watch an ocean of lights far below - not too bad of a change. That's when the song started playing, it was perfect for the moment... and then the cabin crew turned on the lights for breakfast; the reading lights, not the blinding fluorescent ones. That was a very nice end to a very nice experience.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TUGMASTER

Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 am

Spanish Bombs by The CLASH.

Has the immortal line...." I'm flying in on the DC10 tonight"

Always on my iPod when landing in a DC10....

Birdwatching

Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

Quoting TUGMASTER (Reply 5):
Always on my iPod when landing in a DC10....

Wait, the era of the iPod and the era of the DC10 overlap?   

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Homobohemicus

Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 am

I'm Czech and live abroad... Its always touching and almost on the brink when hearing "Vltava" , a Czech classical piece by Smetana. It depicts the Vltava river. This section is always played by Czech Airlines when landing in Prague...

aloges

Mon May 04, 2015 11:26 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 6):

A variety of bad "New Era" puns comes to mind...  

Anyway, I did also wonder: Apart from KC-10s, the Orbis Flying Eye Hospital and the FedEx birds, where might one find a DC-10 these days?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

VapourTrails

Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm

I was just thinking about this very thing when compiling my trip report. I am afraid this certain song that was played as boarding music will be forever stuck in my head.. The Knocks Classic    Quite funny, in a good way! http://youtu.be/emOKaGi8u5U I don't know whether the A320 is considered a classic.  profile 

LOL..  

[Edited 2015-05-04 05:10:31]

ams747757

Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 pm

"Jet Airliner" -Steve Miller Band, mentions the 707.  

Although I listened to it on a 747 since I don't know John Travolta, I can't get on a 707 too easily.

reifel

Mon May 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Remember Adiemus? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxQ4hBwp4Q4
Everywhere in Europe and the US on TV...

Also when calling Air Canada in Germany there is this incredibly cheesy children church choir like song "Air Canada with Pride" blablabla...
Not sure if they still use it in Canada. It's so cheesy I tried to find it online but couldn't. Anyone knows which song I mean?

Emirates of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9StVz_eOEo

A lot comes down to commercials...
Like the one of Garuda Indonesia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuO3NFr9G0E

In Germany airberlin had all kinds of silly songs...
I recall specifically this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL25g3CL0ro

A little bit stepping back in time, I was flying a lot with Cathay Pacific as a kid in the late 80's or so.
During Christmas one time CX hat this particular boarding music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31mjvrydaLM

And finally also defunct Sky Europe which I flew a lot also used a very refreshing boarding music from the french group "Air", which is from my hometown... Found it pretty relaxing, especially when boarding early morning flights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgfmWfJ11s

AAlaxfan

Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Beatles - "Back In The USSR" = BA
Gershwin - "Rhapsody In Blue" = UA
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

dba4u

Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 11):
Remember Adiemus?

Heeeeell yeah, delta fanboy since then  

About 3 years ago I flew SEA-PDX-AMS. In PDX they had a piano set up and somebody played a cover of "the scientist". It was absolutely beautiful! The entire world seemed to slow down around that piano player, people running for their flights just stopped and listened in. I've never ever experienced something like this, and whenever I'm hearing the scientist I think about strolling over the thick PDX carpet, slowly making my way to board an amazing piece of human ingenuity to miraculously set off to somewhere far far away, leaving all trouble behind...

jetwet1

Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 am

California Girls, the DLR version always reminds me of BCal

aloha73g

Wed May 06, 2015 6:07 am

"Honolulu City Lights" by Keola & Kapono Beamer ... any time I'm departing HNL at night.

"Spread a Little Aloha" by The Mana'o Company ... will always remind me of AQ.

"Up, Up and Away" by The Fifth Dimension ... great for takeoff

"Clocks" by Coldplay ... to me it sounds like the feeling of flying through turbulence
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

spacecadet

Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 pm

The song that starts at 2:27 of this video is "the" ANA song that's played both while boarding and as hold music if you call them, but it's also an actual song by a respected Japanese artist (I can't remember the name, though): http://youtu.be/r39avoo5FUk?t=2m27s

Whenever I hear it, I first of all can't get it out of my head (it has one of those ridiculous melodies that just goes around and around), and I also feel like I've just stepped onto my flight.

My brother-in-law actually has this on CD, and the first time he put it on in the car was really, really weird. I felt like it was time to get ready for takeoff.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Airstud

Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am

The phrase "out the window of a 747" occurs in Tom Petty's "Straight Into Darkness."
Pancakes are delicious.

TWA772LR

Fri May 08, 2015 1:15 am

I flew LAS-SNA on WN once, and when we were taxiing onto position I was listening to "Pretty Vegas" by INXS. The winglwt seemed to bob up and down with the beat of the song sand that's been stuck on my head forever now. It just seemed right to me, and made the 737 an aircraft I want to fly some day.

Another one is when I fist flew to Australia. I listened to "Treasure" by Bruno Mars virtually all the way there and every time I hear it, I think of a UA 747 landing in SYD. For you band geeks out there, I associate Prelude and Fugue (mostly Fugue) by Handel with the UA 747, I listened to that song heavily when I came back; and when I hear "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics, I think of a UA 744 cruising over the Pacific. Coming back to the states, I listened to Paul McCartney almost the whole way back, so I associate "Live and Let Die" with QF A380s.

And for some reason, I associate "Viva LA Vida" by Coldplay with JAL 744s. I don't know how that one came about!

And thanks to Call of Duty, I associate "Sympathy for the Devil" with Mi-24s

[Edited 2015-05-07 18:20:46]
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

bunumuring

Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Songs:
'Sydney From a 727' by Paul Kelly for my hometown airport, SYD... Self-explanatory, actually!
'She's A River' by Simple Minds for the Boeing 727 landing at ADL... See a thankfully long-archived thread about most embarrassing flying moments for an explanation on that one...
'Wuthering Heights' by Kate Bush for BA after spending a flight sitting across the aisle from her on a BA flight, hyperventilating and acting like a hormonal One Direction teeneybopper...

And whole albums:
Will Young's 'Friday's Child' album for Gatwick... Played it to death on IPod whilst spending one of best days of my life spotting at Gatwick and then driving along the south coast of England...

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

KPWMSpotter

Fri May 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Rush's instrumental "YYZ" reminds me of...well actually, YTZ. The song came up a few times on my trip to Toronto City Centre on Porter Airlines.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

falstaff

Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 pm

They did. Ipods came out in October of 2001 and NW flew the DC-10 until January of 2007.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

n92r03

Fri May 22, 2015 12:02 am

Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning. Think of the 747 landing in the video.

"Never rains in southern California"... Starts off with "Got on board a westbound seven, forty seven..."

TUGMASTER

Fri May 22, 2015 8:49 pm

They did. Ipods came out in October of 2001 and NW flew the DC-10 until January of 2007.

And the BG machines kept running all he way to FEB 2014....

OMP777X

Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am

Many songs by El Ten Eleven make me think of the L1011, though that's due to the name of the band.

Strangely enough, they used a 727 for the cover photo on their self titled album instead of the Tristar. There may have been copyright issues with them using it, or something.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ten_Eleven_(album)

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

flynhi808

Mon May 25, 2015 9:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_raeLlLdPE

"we are Turkish Airlines, we are globally yours"

the evil song will now be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. have fun!
fly-n-HI-808

b2319

Mon May 25, 2015 11:52 pm

All,

Another mention for The Clash:

My records show that I have flown into Hefei (old airport) six times. I can categorically state that on my second to sixth visits, I have been humming "City of the Dead" to myself during landing, taxiing, or both.....

And, apparently The Clash were booed or bottled (or both) when Johnny Green prepared the setlist for them to open with this song in Vancouver.....deeply ironic as this city is one of my favourite places on earth.....

Regards

B-2319

ORDTLV2414

Tue May 26, 2015 2:09 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 4):
"The Unforgettable Fire" by U2 reminds me of United.

More specifically: Travelling to FRA from (probably) ORD overnight on one of their 777s, I hadn't been able to fall asleep, so I made the best of my window seat. Blanket over my head and around the outline of the window, I spent lots of time staring outside and managed to find another plane flying parallel to mine. Watching those distant strobes accompanying us across much of the ocean was strangely reassuring; the North Atlantic airways are of course busy, but that night I was actually shown how very "not alone" you are up there.
As we crossed Ireland early in the morning, I started losing sight of the other aircraft, but got to watch an ocean of lights far below - not too bad of a change. That's when the song started playing, it was perfect for the moment... and then the cabin crew turned on the lights for breakfast; the reading lights, not the blinding fluorescent ones. That was a very nice end to a very nice experience.

that is absloutley beautiful.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue May 26, 2015 2:32 am

I was coming back from a road trip with a bunch of friends today and when we were passing JFK on the Belt they were using 13L for landings. Watching everything fly over us and make that sweeping right bank at about 500 feet while listening to "Geromino" by Sheppard made me pretty giddy.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

FWAERJ

Tue May 26, 2015 3:15 am

Quoting aloha73g (Reply 15):
"Up, Up and Away" by The Fifth Dimension ... great for takeoff

TWA briefly used a modified version of it in 1967, complete with the slogan "Up Up And Away".

Quoting reifel (Reply 11):
Remember Adiemus?

Yup. And it was DL that started Adiemus, as they commissioned Karl Jenkins to start with that one song. Soon, it was on the "Pure Moods" CD followed by the LP "Songs of Sanctuary".

The rest is history.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

kann123air

Tue May 26, 2015 5:11 pm

American Eagle's boarding music makes me happy because I'm always going somewhere when I hear it!  http://musicbakery.com/royalty-free-new-age-music.htm

Play "Beyond Words" and "Destiny" for the boarding music.
Going for great

kurtjeter

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:03 am

Don't forget "Eight Miles High" by The Byrds.
And just the name of Jefferson Airplane, aka Jefferson Starship.

And yes, Steve Miller Band forever for their "Jetliner."

csturdiv

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:06 am

Quoting ams747757 (Reply 10):

"Jet Airliner" -Steve Miller Band, mentions the 707.  

Although I listened to it on a 747 since I don't know John Travolta, I can't get on a 707 too easily.

When I moved from the US to Australia last year, on the date that I left I posted that song in my FB page.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

rugger

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Here's one for the older crowd. Whenever I hear the Moody Blues song "Question", I think of a take off run in a 727.

It's not the words to the song that matter, but the rhythm of the song. You can almost feel the expansion joints in the runway.

n729pa

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 14):
California Girls, the DLR version always reminds me of BCal

Me too from 1980s TV ad "I wish they all could be Caledonian Girls" I can never listen to this song now without seeing and hearing the alternative version.

When I fly to Australia on QF, I always set up a play list of about a dozen+ songs so that if I nod off during a film and wake up the music will be playing. Often there's a core of songs I always pick plus a few variations each time.

Funnily enough As TW772LR said above "Live and Let Die" was also on my list this time (a few weeks ago), plus a couple of songs from "The Long Road Out of Eden", Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Bob Seger, Beatles but after a bit they tend to stick in your head and you associate the flying/travelling with those songs.

DexSwart

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:56 am

Ever since Qantas used it on their ads last year, "Take Me" by RÜFÜS has always been my go to take off songs when i fly with them.

That song takes me places, I find it incredibly appropriate.

http://youtu.be/UKa6nkmqHFQ

Then there is of course the classic "I Still Call Australia Home" which I love...

"Rhapsody in Blue" is a given for United.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Ryanair jingle yet.   

[Edited 2015-06-14 23:01:44]
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

csturdiv

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:43 am

The Home song (not sure of the name, but there is a girl singing it) just about puts me to sleep when I hear it, either when their (QF) last ads were running on TV or when I flew them SYD-MEL-SYD and heard it while boarding/deplanning.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

rmoore7734

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:51 pm

hard to beat this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxCOLr0LQu4

DL_Mech

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 29):
TWA briefly used a modified version of it in 1967, complete with the slogan "Up Up And Away".

Here it is:

http://brandedskies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/TWA-UpUpAndAway.mp3
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11