SCQ83
Topic Author

Second Screening At German Airports?

Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

I was flying through HHN and I got this second screening in the security control. They place this thing (stick??) all over your luggage, your mobile phone and your laptop and then take it to a machine and return.

So I have a few questions:

- Is this for drugs, explosives or both?

- Is this common in Germany??? This is the reason to open this thread. A few months ago it happened to me exactly the same in DUS. So dunno, the other day I was a bit puzzled like... "this again???".

I probably don't fly that much as other a.netters but I fly a few dozen times a year (mostly Spain-UK-France). So to me that this happened in Dusseldorf and Hahn (which to be honest, I don't think those are "hotspots" for any kind of illegal activity... seriously Hahn where there are only cows around?) and not in Paris, London, Madrid (which seem to me more sensitive places) is interesting. Just pure chance?

AustrianZRH

RE: Second Screening At German Airports?

Fri May 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Thread starter):
- Is this for drugs, explosives or both?

Usually explosives.

- Is this common in Germany??? This is the reason to open this thread. A few months ago it happened to me exactly the same in DUS. So dunno, the other day I was a bit puzzled like... "this again???".

Experienced it a couple of times all over Europe, about on every 10th flight. So it's not unusual but not regular.
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

DLPMMM

Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 pm

It is Germany.

There was a German government audit of security at their airports and there were some very bad results to the audits....most notably at FRA. My GF got the dreaded SSSS on her boarding pass and was singled out for secondary screening which included going through all of her carry-one by hand, a pat down, and was also supposed to go through a USA type of body scan....but the fancy L-3 scanner was not working

LTH

Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 pm

Happened to me at various airports. From TXL, to FRA, YVR and LAX. Its no Germany-only thing.

LTH

[Edited 2015-05-08 09:09:00]

atcsundevil

Fri May 08, 2015 4:16 pm

It's Explosives Trace Detection -- very common at US airports as well. Many airports/countries have secondary screening checkpoints, specifically for flights bound for the US, Australia, Israel, etc., but they are also used as an enhancement of security procedures.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 2):
It is Germany.

There was a German government audit of security at their airports and there were some very bad results to the audits....most notably at FRA. My GF got the dreaded SSSS on her boarding pass and was singled out for secondary screening which included going through all of her carry-one by hand, a pat down, and was also supposed to go through a USA type of body scan....but the fancy L-3 scanner was not working

Thanks. I was even wondering if I was profiled for some unknown reason and I looked suspicious to German security staff. 

In both cases I didn't "beep".

dampfnudel

Fri May 08, 2015 8:54 pm

When I was a kid during 1980s/1990s, it was just one security screening at FRA. After 9/11, there's always a secondary security screening at/near the gate for flights bound for the US. When I flew from FRA to CPH last October, I just had to go through one screening, same situation with my CPH-AMS flight. I did have to go through a secondary screening for my connecting KLM flight to JFK. The line took bet. 60 and 90 minutes. One security guy also compared my name with names on his list. I'm guessing that paper he had in his hand was a no-fly list. It is what it is.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

AA AI CO CL DE DL EA HA KL LH N7 PA PQ SK RO TW UA YR

declarets

Fri May 08, 2015 9:09 pm

These are also used in the UK for Pax and Cargo.

Used for detecting explosives however they can also be set to detect drugs aswell.

Pretty cool piece of kit.

L1011

Fri May 08, 2015 11:18 pm

They have 3 security screenings at Istanbul. The first one is just to get in the door of the airport.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

aerolimani

Sun May 10, 2015 6:32 am

I was traveling through FRA with a very expensive musical instrument. After it passed through the x-ray, an agent grabbed it, asked if it was mine, and then started walking away with it. As quick as I possibly could, I grabbed the rest of my stuff, and started to run after him. He walked ridiculously fast through crowded corridors, and I struggled to keep up. Finally, after quite the journey, we arrived at this little booth where there was a machine for detecting explosives. I remember being quite worried that this guy wasn't really a security agent, and that my instrument was actually being stolen. It really was alarming.

larshjort

Sun May 10, 2015 10:52 am

The only place I've experienced it was at Durham Tees Valley Airport.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

KirkSeattle

Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 pm

I was flying through HHN and I got this second screening in the security control. They place this thing (stick??) all over your luggage, your mobile phone and your laptop and then take it to a machine and return.
Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 4):
It's Explosives Trace Detection -- very common at US airports as well. Many airports/countries have secondary screening checkpoints, specifically for flights bound for the US, Australia, Israel, etc., but they are also used as an enhancement of security procedures

Regarding second security screening, isn't it a US requirement for all flights to the US from foreign countries?

AMS - it happened at the gate area before you could get to the seating area.

MEL - Also at the gate, men and women were separated and screened bags and on their person.

SCL - happened on the ramp to the plane. What sucked was they took my bottle of water, 20 feet from entering the plane.

TXL - Also happened at the gate

I can't recall my departures from LHR, CDG and MAD since they were quite a while back

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

29erUSA187

Sun May 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 11):
Regarding second security screening, isn't it a US requirement for all flights to the US from foreign countries?

Ive never had to do this when reentering the US, both from the EU and Costa Rica.

jetblueguy22

Mon May 11, 2015 1:06 am

I've had that done to me in a couple places. On my last trip I got it done in both FAR and BDL. I believe it was because I carried a dog onboard. But it was kind of weird. In BDL they even wanded my puppy. I wanted to back hand him. That shouldn't be allowed.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

KirkSeattle

Mon May 11, 2015 1:22 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 12):
Ive never had to do this when reentering the US, both from the EU and Costa Rica.

Very odd....The Australian's were obvious about it...."We need to do it as it required by your government".

XAM2175

Mon May 11, 2015 1:16 pm

Explosive trace detection is used commonly on domestic flights in Australia, immediately after baggage x-ray and the walk-through metal detectors. I'd rather imagined that it would be quite common elsewhere too, but on the other hand domestic security in Aus doesn't involve liquid/aerosol/gel restrictions or nudoscopy, and permits non-travellers to access the gate areas, so just a different approach I suppose...

DAL763ER

Tue May 12, 2015 12:31 am

Quoting 29erUSA187 (Reply 12):

Sure you do. If you connect from an international flight to another intl/domestic flight from the US, you will have to go through security again. When you go through passport control, you're now landside and you'll have had access to your checked bags. They can't just let people back airside without security screening.

reifel

Tue May 12, 2015 7:14 pm

That machine I saw it all around the world. I can't recall this is a typically european thing. Go to Tel Aviv, they know how to check for explosives and have it for sure as well. I recall having it seen in Canada too.
When you opt out of the nudeoscanner in the US you will be sure to get your stuff swiped for the machine too...

KirkSeattle

Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting reifel (Reply 17):
When you opt out of the nudeoscanner in the US you will be sure to get your stuff swiped for the machine too...

In SEA, the explosive swipe is upon entry into the TSA line, prior to the "nudeoscanner". And it's a random check at that. However, if you are swiped with the explosive check, you go through the TSA Pre line where you don't have to take off you shoes, belt, hair piece, etc.   

PanHAM

Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am

I still enjoy almost full and metallic blonde hair, but is it really true that in the US you have to remove hair pieces or was that a joke?

I mean, as funny as it is, this is humiliating and disgusting if true
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

KirkSeattle

Wed May 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
I still enjoy almost full and metallic blonde hair, but is it really true that in the US you have to remove hair pieces or was that a joke?

I was joking   

Shoes, belt, jacket and jewelry and make sure your pockets are empty is the general rule.

PanHAM

Thu May 14, 2015 4:10 am

Quoting KirkSeattle (Reply 20):

I was joking

Shoes, belt, jacket and jewelry and make sure your pockets are empty is the general rule.

Thought so, but the fact that this could be considered serious tells you something about the Reputation of TSA.  
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!