Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mika
Topic Author

"Not Possible" To Reserve Seat According To LH

Fri May 15, 2015 12:00 pm

So i booked a roundtrip GOT-YUL with LH and AC but through a travel agent. I'm flying GOT-MUC-YUL on LH, AC from YUL to EWR and then LH from EWR-FRA-GOT on my way back. All flights are presented with AC flight numbers on my booking.

Now, i tried to reserve seats on LH's website but to no avail, it gave me an error message. So i contacted LH customer support and they told me that it's "not possible" to reserve seats on these flights since any flight you want to reserve seats on need to be LH flights with LH flight numbers. This to me sounds ridiculous, my flights are LH flights albeit they are presented as AC codeshares.

I managed to reserve my seat for the AC flight on AC's website, but naturally it doesn't allow me to reserve seats on the LH legs.

Any thoughts from a.net on this? Why wouldn't it be possible to reserve LH seats in my situation? I'm travelling in economy.

dumbell2424

RE: "Not Possible" To Reserve Seat According To LH

Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting mika (Thread starter):
Why wouldn't it be possible to reserve LH seats in my situation?

It's their policy. Under the requirements system at: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Seat-reservation#ancAbT9
it says you have to have it booked under a LH flight number.

You can try calling Air Canada, but you may have to wait until checkin.

mika
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 am

Shoot. I made a bummer out of this one...i made the booking through an agent since it was significantly cheaper, taking for granted that i could just log into my booking on either LH or AC and reserve seats, since this has worked in the past as i recall.

Oh well, nothing to do about it i suppose, but to hope that i dont end up being squished in the middle on the two transatlantic legs.

klm672

Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Why would you book through a travel agency in 2015? My grandmother did the same exact thing 5 years ago, and could not select her seats, just like you.

Good luck!

mika
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Because it was vastly cheaper. The exact same ticket was about $295 cheaper through a travel agent than through AC or LH directly, i kid you not. And following the fares for the last weeks i did not once find the same or comparable fares directly through the airlines.

Granted the back side is where i am now, not being able to reserve seats, but for me the jury is still out whether that is worth the $295 mark-up.

klm672

Mon May 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Right.. that's surprising. Let us know how you get on.

mika
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Seriously, is this a European thing? I'm a bit surprised that you would be surprised to be honest, it's not the first time that i've bought tickets through a travel agent because it's cheaper through them than through the airlines themselves.

What am i doing right/wrong?  

klm672

Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Here in the US, I haven't bought tickets off of a travel agency in the last 15 years.

roseflyer

Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting mika (Reply 6):

Seriously, is this a European thing? I'm a bit surprised that you would be surprised to be honest, it's not the first time that i've bought tickets through a travel agent because it's cheaper through them than through the airlines themselves.

What am i doing right/wrong?  

Most U.S. Airlines offer a fare guarantee. If you find a price lower than what is on their website, they will match it. Travel agents are almost never cheaper than one of the major airlines.

OA260

Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 am

One reason why I hate codeshares. I did have a good experience last week though DUB-FRA-ATH first flight LH second flight Aegean. I could select DUB-FRA no issues but at OLCI it auto assigned me a seat on the second. I got a window seat towards the front and middle seat blocked due to *G but that was an exception. I was also
able to change seats if I wanted on the A3 website.

AA757MIA

Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 am

In any case, even if you buy the ticket from the Lufthansa website, if you choose the cheapest fares available, which are the ones usually displayed on search results (I don't know why airlines -except, as far as I know, United- don't let you search by fare class/combine classes/cabins) you still cannot choose your seats, unless you pay an extra fee.

Brick

Mon May 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Quoting klm672 (Reply 3):
Why would you book through a travel agency in 2015?
Quoting klm672 (Reply 7):
Here in the US, I haven't bought tickets off of a travel agency in the last 15 years.

Some of us who travel for business are required to use company authorized travel agencies for booking air, hotel, and car rentals. I would love to book my own business travel using each company's website, but I am not authorized to do this and I won't be reimbursed for my expenses if I do.

[Edited 2015-05-25 09:58:35]

andz

Thu May 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 11):
Some of us who travel for business are required to use company authorized travel agencies for booking air, hotel, and car rentals. I would love to book my own business travel using each company's website, but I am not authorized to do this and I won't be reimbursed for my expenses if I do

I am in exactly the same position, the company I work for is global and enormous, I shudder to think how much extra they are paying for using the system they use for travel.

lesfalls

Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting mika (Reply 6):

The best choice you have to book the seat for LH is to call LH and give them your booking code that your travel agent gave you. LH will most likely then give you a new LH booking code and go onto the LH website and use the booking code . You will then have the choice to book seats. He same thing happens to me when I booked a LX flight on the LH website and I wasn't allowed to book seats so I called them and they gave me an LX booking code and I was able to book seats then on the LX website. Hope this helps  .

Brick

Fri May 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 13):
The best choice you have to book the seat for LH is to call LH and give them your booking code that your travel agent gave you. LH will most likely then give you a new LH booking code and go onto the LH website and use the booking code .

When I book Lufthansa on my corporate travel website I always get a LH booking code, even if it is booked as a code share on a United ticket. You can plug in the booking code on LH's website, but when you go to select seats you get an error message.

Quoting andz (Reply 12):
I am in exactly the same position, the company I work for is global and enormous, I shudder to think how much extra they are paying for using the system they use for travel.

Our company doesn't pay our travel agency that much. I think they add a $9 booking fee and get whatever commission they are entitled to on the airfare and hotel rooms. My company is also large, but with the arrangement with our travel agency I don't think it is costing us a fortune. If anything it probably saves our company money because our travel website knows the travel rules and policies, so people can't book unreasonable hotel rooms and flights. One of the rules is you have to book a flight within 10% of the lowest available airfare. If you book a flight that violates this rule, notification e-mails go out to your manager and the VPs. I don't like this rule because it prevents me from traveling on my preferred airlines sometimes, but that's what I signed up for when I took this job.

I wish I can book my own airfare so I can take advantage of cash back awards on my credit cards. Three months ago I had to travel to Saudi Arabia with no notice...the airfare was over $3000. I would have loved to earn $30 on my credit card by purchasing the flight myself and getting reimbursed later. A job that required extensive travel I had a few years ago allowed me to book all of my own travel which resulted in earning about $1800 a year on cash back awards on one card alone from airfare, rental cars, hotels, and meals!

reifel

Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 am

As said earlier, you should be able to reserve seats by calling LH directly. There must be a LH booking code for the LH booking generated in the background, and LH should be able to find it. LH's seat reservation is at a charge though and there might be technical issues for the payment. For payment of seats LH needs to issue a so called EMD, which is something like a ticke for additional services.

This "Ticket"/EMD needs to be issued in conjunction with the flight ticket, it needs to include the ticket number of your flight, which is a AC ticket. Not sure if it is technically possible to issue a LH EMD for a AC Ticket. But that would be a GDS/Amadeus issue, not particularly a LH one. I would just call LH and not do this online.

debonair

Sun May 31, 2015 8:39 pm

So i contacted LH customer support and they told me that it's "not possible" to reserve seats on these flights since any flight you want to reserve seats on need to be LH flights with LH flight numbers.

A friend did exact the same routing and booking like me (MUC-GRU) and his seat selection was later refunded as seat reservations are only allowed on LH flights and LH bookings; also to no avail via the customer help line. However, I did exactly the same way of booking - but my seat reservation was not refunded and I received my selected seat. So I would log into LH and book the seat online - maybe you have luck like me!
Be aware that the new LH policy is a real nightmare - passengers traveling like me in the same (cheap) fare category without seat reservation received only middle seats; according to the station manager in GRU aisle/windows seats are only given nowadays to high fare paying passengers (sorted automatically by the system!)...  Wow!