Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QF744ER
Topic Author

Scoot Charging For In-seat Power Usage

Sun May 17, 2015 7:19 am

Was just browsing the forum and saw the thread about Rouge B767's being refitted with in-seat power.

I recently flew on a Scoot B787 SIN-PER and was excited to try TZ's Dreamliner which they'd really hyped up.

One of the features I was looking forward to trying out was the in-seat power which is available in every seat and the power ports are located under the seats.

To my surprise Scoot charges passengers for the privilege of using this feature, I understand that airlines draw a large amount of ancillary revenue from additional charges on top of the basic ticket price, but surely charging for using the in-seat power is taking it too far.

The price of using the in-seat power function is based on the length of the flight, from memory it cost more on flight to SYD than PER owing to the distance from SIN.

I queried this with one of the FA's and from her response they weren't to keen on this either.

What are members thoughts on this as I'll be honest and say it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth?

This follows on from some of Scoot's other marketing department bloopers such as a recent post on their FB page where they proclaimed to be 'Operating an exclusive Dreamliner fleet', this might be factual on their Australian flights but it certainly isn't correct with the rest of their route network with B777's still operating to northern Asian destinations.

[Edited 2015-05-17 00:20:59]

SYDSpotter

RE: Scoot Charging For In-seat Power Usage

Sun May 17, 2015 7:32 am

Hmm it's a bit dubious to me. What was the cost btw?

What next, charge you for turning on your personal reading light when the cabin lights are off? It uses additional power just like charging a device would (albeit a lot less).
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

zeke

Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 am

I don't understand their fee structure, don't see how it is any more expensive to change the name on a ticket depending on stage length.

I don't understand how it is legal to charge a fee to get a tax refund.

Looked at their spreadsheet for fees from different locations, no sign of the in seat power fee, might be something new they are trying?

Do they charge for IFE ? I.e. Is this forcing consumers to either pay for using their IFE of power to use your own devices ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

S75752

Sun May 17, 2015 7:39 am

How do they even charge for it?

I think that's lame, people already paid the airfare! That's trying too hard to nickle and dime.

jbflyguy84

Sun May 17, 2015 7:45 am

Quoting S75752 (Reply 3):
How do they even charge for it?

I think that's lame, people already paid the airfare! That's trying too hard to nickle and dime.

Quite easily actually...

Pax pays the fee to the FA, or pre-purchase online and an SSR gets noted against their reservation. During the flight, FA activates which rows have been paid for. Technically only one person a row (as in a set of 3 seats) needs to pay as it will activate both sockets in that row.

Crew have been instructed not to disallow pax sharing the ports.

Quoting S75752 (Reply 3):
I don't understand how it is legal to charge a fee to get a tax refund.

Quite legal actually except where countries don't allow it (i.e. Korea on Scoot's network). Why shouldn't the airline charge a fee for the effort involved? The call centre is paid per transaction it completes. Anyway, this only affects markets that are not Korea (as mentioned above) and Australia (where the fee is less than the taxes anyway).

Also, charging name changes by sector length is purely revenue generating... Scoot just take it a bit further in that the longer the flight, the higher ALL fees are. Very few (if any, actually), do it this way.

MHG

Sun May 17, 2015 7:51 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 2):
Looked at their spreadsheet for fees from different locations, no sign of the in seat power fee, might be something new they are trying?

Have a look at: http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/inflight/wifi-connectivity.html
Just scroll down until just before FAQ´s where inseat power info is located ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

TheCommodore

Sun May 17, 2015 7:58 am

Quoting QF744ER (Thread starter):
To my surprise Scoot charges passengers for the privilege of using this feature, I understand that airlines draw a large amount of ancillary revenue from additional charges on top of the basic ticket price, but surely charging for using the in-seat power is taking it too far.

One of the reasons why I will never travel on a low cost set up...

I mean really, charging for power !

The bloody engines are whirling around,getting you from A to B, and they want another bite at the cherry. Come off it!!

Im sorry you even traveled on them,

Let it be a lesson to ALL !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

zeke

Sun May 17, 2015 8:10 am

Quoting MHG (Reply 5):
Have a look at: http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/inflight/wifi-connectivity.html

Thank you, I was looking at this http://www.flyscoot.com/images/plan_...ares_and_fees/scoot_fees_chart.pdf
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

AA737-823

Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 am

This whole thing amuses me.

What's your gripe? You flew a cheap airline, and got a cheap product.

If you don't like it, fly a full-service airline. They've become pretty crummy with fees anymore, too, but not THIS bad.

People always want to pay LoCo fares and get the service they remember from 1972.
Not gonna happen.

QF744ER
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 8):

If you don't like it, fly a full-service airline. They've become pretty crummy with fees anymore, too, but not THIS bad.

I completely agree with you, I choose to fly Scoot primarily to experience their much publicised Dreamliner (the rest of my trip PER-KUL-PEN-KL-SIN was on MH), so in the end it would of been cheaper for me to fly MH on the whole trip and bought a return fare in the first place.

Having flown extensively around Asia on LCC's I understand the old quote 'you get what you pay for'.

In the past members on here have taken exception to fees and charges applied (and proposed) by FR and U2, but Scoot IMO have taken things to a record low forcing passengers to pay to use in-seat power.

jumpseat

Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 am

Don't fly with them then?

If they think that people are going to be willing to pay for it, then of course they will charge for it. That's business.

jbflyguy84

Sun May 17, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting QF744ER (Reply 9):
In the past members on here have taken exception to fees and charges applied (and proposed) by FR and U2, but Scoot IMO have taken things to a record low forcing passengers to pay to use in-seat power.

Why though?

To be fair, I would be more concerned about 'convenience fees' and like that are added by this brethren - at least with paying for in-seat power, you are actually getting something tangible for your money. It actually does something, unlike the aforementioned convenience fees.

MaverickM11

Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

Quoting QF744ER (Thread starter):
One of the features I was looking forward to trying out was the in-seat power which is available in every seat and the power ports are located under the seats.

There's that Scootitude! Flying like you've never flown before  "So you wanna fly with Scoot. So you wanna experience flying like you’ve never flown before, and travel the world with us. But how are you gonna get there?"
I don't take responsibility at all

N867DA

Sun May 17, 2015 11:53 am

The issue is that the bare level of service keeps getting diluted as more ancillary fares are introduced.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

KaiTak747

Sun May 17, 2015 3:09 pm

With TZ you get what you pay for and even with their fees it is still fantastic value.

The only gripe I have with LLCs is hidden charges, a la FR.

But most LLCs are fairly straight forward and you get what you pay for. People don't seem to mind it, TZ don't seem to have much difficulty filling 400 seats on their 777s.

In Asia it's great to have some competition against CX, SQ, Thai and Malaysian, as I've always found they're hard to fly with on a budget.

I flew HKG-SIN in Scootbiz for less than £100. If you want to pay more than double for CX or SQ economy, the option is there.

travaz

Sun May 17, 2015 3:57 pm

If the charge for seat power is bothersome to anyone, there is a very simple solution. One can purchase a 15,000 mAh portable battery charger that will charge phones and tablets. The price is $32.99 . A 10,000 mAh charger is available for $13.99. While it wont charge a laptop it will take care of most tablets and Phones. When I use ULC carriers I plan ahead.

MaverickM11

Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 13):
The issue is that the bare level of service keeps getting diluted as more ancillary fares are introduced.

Don't fly them! It's not like Southeast Asia is starved for alternatives.

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 14):

In Asia it's great to have some competition against CX, SQ, Thai and Malaysian, as I've always found they're hard to fly with on a budget.

I flew HKG-SIN in Scootbiz for less than £100. If you want to pay more than double for CX or SQ economy, the option is there.

I don't take responsibility at all

[email protected]

Sun May 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 14):

The only gripe I have with LLCs is hidden charges, a la FR.

How are they hidden? Unless you live in a cave, everyone knows about them. And if for some inexplicable reason they don't, it's easy to read the 'fees' bit on their website.

P.S., it's LCC.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

DocLightning

Sun May 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting MHG (Reply 5):

Wow, so if the flight is longer than three hours, it's gonna charge me $21.95 to get the WiFi and $8 for the power meaning a $30 bill for IFE on a long flight. Ouch.

Fortunately, iPads have extraordinarily long battery lives and will give you about ten hours of play. So just make sure it's fully charged before boarding.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Sparrow787

Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Hahahaha you'll find this feature on Spirit coming soon (hope not)

KaiTak747

Sun May 17, 2015 8:03 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 17):
How are they hidden? Unless you live in a cave, everyone knows about them. And if for some inexplicable reason they don't, it's easy to read the 'fees' bit on their website.

P.S., it's LCC.

FR do catch a lot of un-savvy travellers out, espcially with their boarding pass fee. I'm fine flying with them as I know what to expect.

And thanks didn't notice that  

rbavfan

Sun May 17, 2015 10:50 pm

You guys do realize that every device plugged in runs the generators on the engines harder. This uses more fuel. I have been surprised that they have not done this on other airlines before.

I watch people go into restaurants all day, sit down without buying anything and plug in their devices. If your going to cost them money to charge your device at least buy a drink. Otherwise your just being rude and one of the new group of "you owe me" people. f they had solar panels to provide the power it would be a little different.

Dufo

Mon May 18, 2015 4:24 am

In my opinion this has a direct negative safety impact as more people will use questionable quality li-ion power banks which are a major concern.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

BestWestern

Mon May 18, 2015 4:35 am

Scoot is failing on their Hong Kong service it seems. Now Operated less than daily and at terrible point to point flight times I can see this route being dropped.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

DocLightning

Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 am

Quoting Dufo (Reply 22):

In my opinion this has a direct negative safety impact as more people will use questionable quality li-ion power banks which are a major concern.

Are they? Li-ion cells are used in probably at least hundreds of millions if not billions of portable devices. I haven't heard of one spontaneously combusting in years. It's certainly not a very common occurrence. Yes, it happens (and sometimes in high-profile, spectacular ways...the folks at Boeing can tell you all about it), but it's rare.

I carry a Li-ion powered phone all day every day not six inches from my testicles. It has never occurred to me to worry about that.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

9vswa

Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am

I believe power ports are free in ScootBiz, as it should be. This was the case when I flew on their 787 inaugural to PER and return the day after.

Personally, I'm not keen on flying TZ. I found ScootBiz overpriced for what you get. The hordes of ancillary charges for economy are off-putting as well. There is a credit card processing fee on all bookings - not unusual for LCCs - but what annoyed was somehow getting double-charged the fee, which took 6 weeks to refund. If you look at their fees, there is also an admin fee for ticket refunds ( and this only allowed in exceptional circumstances) and this can be requested only by snail mail last I checked.

Simply put, you get what you paid for. But for me, TZ doesn't rank very highly on my preferences. I rate Jetstar above them and I'm looking forward to seeing TZ and JQ go head-to-head on the SIN-MEL route.

hongkongflyer

Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 23):
Scoot is failing on their Hong Kong service it seems. Now Operated less than daily and at terrible point to point flight times I can see this route being dropped.
SIN-HKG is a daily flight up to today (except 20 May due to aircraft rotation which is an one-off event and has been announced well ahead)

Regarding the schedule, you think it is terrible, but in my opinion, it is perfect.

For those from HK, you can arrive downtown Singapore before noon. On the return day, you can spend the whole night before heading to the airport, then you arrive HKG early in the morning and you can even go to work on time 9am that day.

For those from Singapore, you arrive and can begin your journey in HK early in the morning. On the way back, you still have half day to spend in Singapore to settle down before you go back to your work next day.

So in both way, the schedule allow you to maximize your time in both Hong Kong and (especially Singapore).

[Edited 2015-05-18 09:01:09]

[Edited 2015-05-18 09:01:59]