mfc
Topic Author

Which Galleries Lounge Would You Recommend At LHR?

Sun May 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi,

I'm flying next Friday from LHR to MAD on Iberia. I have a business class ticket so I would like to know which lounge at T5 you prefer. I've already been in the North Lounge and it was crowded and the food selection was mainly limited to sandwiches, cakes, soup and bags of crisps. Are the South or the T5B lounges any different?

I'm flying the A340 flight and I guess the gate will be located in one of the Satellites, so I will be able to use the T5B lounge. The flight departs at 19:10 and I expect to arrive at the airport around 16:00.

So, which lounge do you recommend me to go?

Thank you.

Regards,

Martin
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

Viscount724

RE: Which Galleries Lounge Would You Recommend At

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 am

I used the South lounge a few months ago and wasn't impressed. It was very busy with hardly any empty seats and all the tables were full of dirty glasses/dishes etc. They didn't seem to have enough staff.

MonsieurX

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting mfc (Thread starter):
I'm flying the A340 flight and I guess the gate will be located in one of the Satellites, so I will be able to use the T5B lounge. The flight departs at 19:10 and I expect to arrive at the airport around 16:00.

The satellite lounges are mixed-use First and Business I believe; whether that's a blessing or a curse remains to be debated. They also appear to be quite quiet in the evening. Last summer I moved from a packed Galleries lounge in the main terminal straight into an almost empty satellite lounge at around the time your flight will be leaving. Whether that was a fluke I don't know, but the change in atmosphere was appreciable.

X

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Quoting mfc (Thread starter):
Are the South or the T5B lounges any different?

I use the South Galleries First due to status but I popped into South Galleries last month to see what they were currently offering. It was evening time and they had a hot buffet of 3 choices. One was curry with rice and then a vegetarian dish. I can't remember the other one. On that basis I would say try the South. If you dont like it then you can always go to another one.

Taity

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Personally I use the Galleries South.

It's very large. The central parts, especially where the food is, can be very busy but this goes in peaks and troughs. You can also usually get a seat and it's not crampt as people usually respect your space, from my experience. The sheer size also allows you to find a quiet area by branching out from the center.

The food cahnges as the day goes on with Sandiwhces susually served inbetween main meal times.

It's a great lounge. My only criticism is some of the sofas need updated and the toilets need a refresh. But they are still pleaseant to use. Again its better the further from the center you go.
Aer Arann • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • BMI • BMI Baby • British Airways • CityJet • Delta • EasyJet • Etihad • FlyBe • Go • Jet Blue • KLM • Lufthansa • Nok Air • Ryanair • Thai AirAsia • United • US Airways • Virgin Atlantic (Little Red)

vhtje

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:18 pm

If travelling from T5A, Galleries South over Galleries North, every time. It's bigger and has more facilities.

However, since you're travelling from a satellite terminal, head to Galleries T5B. It is much quieter than either of the T5A Galleries lounges and it arguably has better apron views. Your flight is at a peak time, making the decision a no-brainer in my view - the main T5A lounges can get very, very busy at peak times.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

mfc
Topic Author

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi!

Following your advice I finally opted for the South lounge. I liked it and despite being crowded I managed to get a seat. In any case I prefer the North lounge for a simple reason: the views. Next time I'll try the T5B lounge if possible  .

Thank you very much for your answers.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

Armodeen

Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 am

I like you prefer the views from the north lounge  

I'm doing this flight again in a few months, hopefully IB won't swap out the A 346 this time :/