Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jc2354
Topic Author

Employee/Non-Rev Global Entry And TSA PreCheck

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:15 pm

I have been researching Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, and joining. However, most of my travels are non-rev. According to the websites, you are issued a number, but no membership card or ID. And, the number is to be placed in the frequent flyer identification. The problem is that , of course as a non-rev, the only number you can enter is your phone number.

Do any other airline employees/non-revs have/use the Global EntryTSA PreCheck? I'm retired, with mobility issues this would really be an advantage for me. Only once have I been selected for PreCheck and it was great. I did find "AA To Pay Global Entry Fee For Crew Members ", but it was for working crew members, and did not discuss the TSA PreCheck.

Any help, hints, facts would certainly be appreciated.

Disclaimer: I did use the search function for "non-rev TSA PreCheck", "nonrev PreCheck,"airline employee TSA PreCheck", and similar search replacing TWA PreCheck with Global Entry.

[Edited 2015-06-01 14:37:25]
If not now, then when?

adamblang

RE: Employee/Non-Rev Global Entry And TWA PreCheck

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 pm

My airline lets me enter trusted traveler numbers during employee booking and in the employee booking profile. Probably not much help to you if you're not seeing a box for it though.

29erUSA187

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Quoting jc2354 (Thread starter):
And TWA PreCheck

I didn't know that TWA was still around to do pre checks!  

kordcj

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 pm

For global entry they do send an ID. You take the picture during the interview.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

grain

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 pm

At WN when we make a listing it has a box where you enter your KTN #. I've gotten pre-check 100% when I add the number.

Also with GE you are given a ID card. It has your KTN # on it, and really has no other use.

a340crew

RE: Employee/Non-Rev Global Entry And TSA PreCheck

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 pm

For Global entry you don't need to list your number on the booking. Your passport number is used to identify you at the kiosk.

At UA we are able to list a known traveler number on non rev bookings for tsa precheck.

PDX88

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:40 pm

At AA I can add my KTN to my personal traveler info, it automatically goes in every time I make a nonrev listing on AA/US. For all other airlines, I just ask them to add it at the counter when I check in, never been an issue.

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Quoting grain (Reply 4):
It has your KTN # on it, and really has no other use.

It is for land crossings (the card) and for using programs like NEXUS (US side only)
I was told there would be cookies...

bond007

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:47 pm

FYI, if you are going to pay for it, and are choosing Global Entry or Precheck, then pay the extra $15 and get Global Entry.
Otherwise if you decide later you would like Global Entry for international travel, you'll have to pay the extra $100 on top of the $85 you already spent.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

ripcordd

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 pm

How long is that good for?

northwestEWR

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Quoting jc2354 (Thread starter):
Do any other airline employees/non-revs have/use the Global EntryTSA PreCheck? I'm retired, with mobility issues this would really be an advantage for me. Only once have I been selected for PreCheck and it was great. I did find "AA To Pay Global Entry Fee For Crew Members ", but it was for working crew members, and did not discuss the TSA PreCheck.

Having Global Entry and PreCheck are the only way to travel anymore. At Delta, we have an option to enter our KTN - Known Traveler Number in our Travel Profile and it automatically populates whenever I checkin. Works like a charm.

Flew in from Amsterdam a few weeks ago, Customs line was LONG but I hit the Global Entry kiosk. Time from plane to outside was 10 minutes tops.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

SKC

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 9):
How long is that good for?

Global Entry / Pre-Check is good for 5 years, so all of that for only $20/year. Great deal, even if you never leave the country.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

strfyr51

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:23 pm

As an Airline Employee I get scanned regularly and I get the Pre-check just as regularly. For the price I'm flying ? I really don't mind. Somebody has to do it so it might as well be me.

Flyer732

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:10 am

I used Global Entry all the time entering the US as a crew member, and saw plenty of NonRevs doing the same thing. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

Tomassjc

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:23 am

Since I turned 55, I've gotten Pre Check while non reving about 95% of the time. No global entry number. I guess it pays to get old sometimes!

Tomas SJC   
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

N1120A

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:31 am

I believe all the US carriers have a KTN field on their employee booking profiles. Indeed, one does not need to be a member of a FF program to enter a KTN in a booking. That is just for convenience.

Quoting SKC (Reply 11):
Global Entry / Pre-Check is good for 5 years, so all of that for only $20/year. Great deal, even if you never leave the country.

$10 a year if you get NEXUS.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

B727skyguy

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:39 am

I find it rather ironic that I have never qualified for TSA Pre-Check. I've gone through numerous background checks and fingerprinting for my SIDA badges, and I'm a GSC. I guess that's not enough.

northwestEWR

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting B727skyguy (Reply 16):
I find it rather ironic that I have never qualified for TSA Pre-Check. I've gone through numerous background checks and fingerprinting for my SIDA badges, and I'm a GSC. I guess that's not enough.

Prior to getting Global Entry--I didn't either and I've been through all the background checks including military.

Today, even my parents always get PreCheck now that I'm in Global Entry. Go figure.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

MaverickTTT

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:51 am

I'm in GlobalEntry. Using GE doesn't even require entering the Known Traveler Number into the listing. Just walk up to the GlobalEntry kiosk, run the biometrics, answer a few questions, and go to the appropriate exit line. Easy cheese and worth every penny.

PreCheck is a little trickier, but most nonrev listing tools allow you to enter your KTN when you make the listing.

jc2354
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks to you all for the help, answers, and opinions. At least, I now know how and where to start.

Jack
If not now, then when?

copter808

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Go for the Global Entry program. I have used it since it's inception and VERY seldom has it ever taken me more than 3 minutes from ENTRY to the immigration hall, to EXIT from the hall. Not talking about a 3 minute wait at the kiosk, I'm talking about the total time in the hall. But then I have to wait for my check bags...

Pre Check is a free add on and will usually save you a LOT of time. Enter your Known Traveler Number on your employee site. You should only have to enter it once.

MichaelCarr

Re: RE: Employee/Non-Rev Global Entry And TSA PreCheck

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:50 am

PDX88 wrote:
At AA I can add my KTN to my personal traveler info, it automatically goes in every time I make a nonrev listing on AA/US. For all other airlines, I just ask them to add it at the counter when I check in, never been an issue.

I added to my personal travel info but when I list and check in, I don't get precheck. I have two middle names and not sure if that's the issue but I have checked to make sure the KT info and what's in the online system for AA matches perfectly. When I list, it only pulls the first initial of my middle names.

mantistobogn

Re: Employee/Non-Rev Global Entry And TSA PreCheck

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 pm

If you live near a border town, Nexus makes the most sense. They charge $50/5 years which includes Nexus, Global Entry as well as TSA Precheck.

As far as non rev travel, most employee booking systems allow you to enter or permanently save your KTN number for bookings. If the do not, then you should be able to add this on the main company website or at the ticket counter. The booking system my company uses allows it to be permanently saved for all bookings. Global Entry is separate and uses your passport to identify you.