Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

csturdiv
Topic Author

HNL Question

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:24 am

Later this month I am flying SYD-HNL to meetup with my brother and his family who are flying IAH-HNL. I arrive at 7:35AM while they arrive at 1:18PM. We are staying on the north shore and I am wondering if there will be enough at HNL to keep me entertained and occupied until they arrive or if I should head on out when I get there. Also the HNL webpage didn't show anything obvious to me in their shops directory, but are there any shops that sell SIM cards? I'll probably want to get a mobile/data plan for the week I am there.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

TakeOff

RE: HNL Question

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:09 am

Aloha, csturvid. Yes, there are plenty of things to do in HNL. Take a cab and grab breakfast at the original Eggs n' Things (the one on Saratoga), then stroll down Waikiki (maybe even take a quick dip) and head towards Diamond Head (you can go all the way to the top). On yor way back, grab lunch and a glass of wine poolside at The Modern Honolulu or do some shopping at Ala Moana. If you like art/arty objects, take a peek at Green Room, also on Waikiki. I think they may sell SIM cards at the ABC convenience stores, which are everywhere in HNL. Enjoy!! TakeOff

n901wa

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Howzit. Some things to do if you want. If you wanna watch some aircraft, and you got a rental car. You can get your rental car, pick up something to eat, and drive to the end of Lagoon Drive.
There's a parking lot at the end that has a nice spot to watch landings on 4R and takeoffs on 8R ( Reef Runway) .
If you don't wanna hang around, I would take off, and stop by Best Buy ( You can check the web page to see if they got sim cards) and pick up a card, and some Zippys or Shave Ice on the way to the North Shore.
If you do drive around the Airport, please watch the speed limit. Five O is strict  
Here's a Photo I took towards the end of Lagoon Drive, after working 28 hours ( another story). I hope you enjoy your trip  
HNL

csturdiv
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 pm

Cheers, I was asking more about things in the actual HNL airport to keep me entertained for several hours until my brother and his family arrive. When I flew into AKL I bought a sim card at a store in the international terminal, I was wondering if there was one there.

UALFAson

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:46 am

Having been stuck at HNL for hours as a non-rev, I would say no, do not hang around the airport. Head on to your lodgings in the North Shore or go into Wakiki or something--anything--else than sticking around the airport.

The place isn't so bad for a couple hours--plane spotting and enjoying the trade winds through the open-air (i.e. no windows) terminals. But it's not HKG or SIN in terms of shopping and dining--there are few very options of either.

I haven't flown into HNL from an international flight, so I can't comment about the availability of SIM cards in the int'l terminal. But don't waste 6 hours at the airport while you're in paradise!!!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

KPWMSpotter

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:11 am

I've done a few long layovers in HNL.

The airport itself if unique, plenty of good places to watch planes from the open-air terminal, plus there's a decent hobby shop with aircraft models for sale. I do have to agree with UALFAson though, once you get over the novelty of the terminal there isn't much to do; dining options especially are very limited.

You can also hop on the city bus and check out the WWII Memorial and museums, and the aviation museum on Ford Island. The WWII attractions are quite close to the airport terminal, much easier to reach without a car than Waikiki or the other big tourist destinations.
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

KirkSeattle

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 am

I love Hawaii....ahhhh. You'll love the North Shore. Waikiki? I did it once, not my thing. I love Maui and just had friends move to Kauai (jealous!)

Well, this place has sim cards, but they are down in Waikiki, which isn't a bad place to stroll around for coffee, shopping, beach while you wait for your family to arrive.

http://www.hokuwireless.com/Services/HOKUSIMCARD.aspx

As other's have said, the airport isn't really that great to hang around from 8:00am ish until 2:00pm ish when your family arrives. Here's a nice beach to sit on, used by locals, while you wait.

Kaimana Beach, Honolulu, HI

The main mall is Ala Moana.

http://www.alamoanacenter.com/

I haven't been to the Pearl Harbor Memorial, but on short notice, it's hard to get into:

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm

Enjoy your stay in the States with you family!

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

csturdiv
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:07 am

Thanks UALFAson and kpmwspotter. I did not know the terminal was open air, would they say anything if I break out my camera and do some shooting for a while?

jetwet1

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:18 am

Staying at Turtle Bay ?

While I wouldn't say HNL is a place to sit around at, there are enough things close by to keep you entertained.

n901wa

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:24 am

Hi cstudiv. I have never cleared customs in HNL, but if I remember right from when I use to work there, they exited out outside the Terminal building.
And I am not sure if you can get back inside the Terminal where the shops, and everything is without a ticket. I hope I am wrong, but maybe someone on here will know more that can help.
I just don't want you to waste time trying to get back in to take pictures, and get turned away. If you can get back in, you can take pictures   HTH

flynhi808

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:06 am

Quoting n901wa (Reply 9):

I'm afraid your right (not completely certain though)... But if you are able to get back airside, they should be fine with spotting.
fly-n-HI-808

csturdiv
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:41 am

I ended up renting a minivan to hold adults and one kid and all luggage and will go out and explore the area a little while waiting for my brother and his family to arrive. Thanks for the info.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 8):
Staying at Turtle Bay ?

I am not sure where it is, my little brother took care of the place. I know it is just on the north shore.

Another nice perk about this is my cousin just got transferred to the naval base in Honolulu, he is a P3 pilot and he mentioned that he would try to get me out on a tour of the base. I would love that!

n901wa

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi csturdiv, that's a Great plan. Awesome news about your cousin. I am not sure if the Construction at K-Bay is done yet. But If not the P-3s were at Hickam, and if you can get on Hickam the Beach down past the Hawaii ANG, close to the Taxiway to the reef runway is very cool. Airplanes and Beach   If the P-3s are back at Kaneohe Bay, that's a Awesome base too  
Have a Great Time, and if you like airplanes, swing by the Old NAS Barbers Point. There is a Museum there that has a few Airplanes. Not as much to see as the Museum on Ford Island, but very Cool. The Beach I am talking about is in the upper left of this picture my brother took. Have a Great Time, and have Fun. 1 more recommendation, I wouldn't go past Kapolei on the West coast of Oahu. I love my Island, but Waianae, Nanakuli etc. is Rough.