FlyingHollander
Topic Author

Iberia A340-600 Product

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 am

I'm scheduled to fly BRU-MAD-JFK v.v. on IB/AA in July. IB 6253 MAD-JFK should be operated by an A340-600. If I'm correct Iberia is in the process of upgrading its product on those birds. What's the chance I'll be on one of the new ones?

Also, is it correct that free seat selection isn't possible on IB in Y? I have been able to select seats on the AA operated JFK-MAD leg.

Thanks,

FlyingHollander
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

jumpjets

RE: Iberia A340-600 Product

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:52 pm

I was looking at a booking with IB a while back [though ultimately travelled with LAN] and I discovered that if on the IB website your flight was scheduled to be with an A345 that meant an upgraded A346. If it said A346 then it was the old configuration.

So try the IB website and see what aircraft is scheduled for that route on your intended dates.

reifel

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Absolutely correct.
345 is new configuration, 346 is old configuration.

Re seat reservation - as usual with most european airlines nowadays unfortunately - you usually need to pay in Economy Class. High economy class booking classes (high fares) allow free of charge reservation, and of course status guests, too. But if Iberia is trying to charge on their website, then you're not eligible for free seat reservations.

FlyingHollander
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

When going to my booking on the Iberia website I can't seem to find the AC type. When I try to select seats I get redirected to the AY site, as my flights have AY codes, where it says it's an A345. So that's good! The AY site then wants to redirect me to Iberia, but then gives me an error. The fare was dirt cheap, so I'm not complaining, but it's always nice to get a window seat. Especially as my girlfriend and I would then have the two seats for ourselves.

Thanks for the help!
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

reifel

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Since AY uses Amadeus and shows 345 this is most likely true. You should be fine with the new aircraft.
Re the seat reservation issue your only chance would be to do this by phone with Iberia, but I may not work.
They would need to issue a so called EMD which is issued in conjunction with the flight ticket. This technology is rather new and often EMD can only be issued in conjunction with the same airline. I.e. if you have an AY ticket, you might not be able to issue an IB EMD. But Iberia will be able to tell you.

MrHMSH

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:10 am

I don't have solid evidence for this, but I think that almost all of IB's A346s have been reconfigured now...

mfc

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:15 pm

There are two A346s that have not been reconfigured yet: EC-JNQ and KZI. The entire A346 fleet was supposed to be reconfigured for this Summer seasons but I heard that some problems were detected during the checks in some planes that needed additional time to be fixed.

In any case, the odds of getting an old configured A346 on a US route are low, they try to send the new ones to the US.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past