Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usa4624
Topic Author

Frontier Charging For Carry Ons - Who's Next?

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:04 pm

I flew Frontier AUS - ORD this week and they told me I had to pay an extra $30 to carry on my roll aboard suitcase because it was too big. I checked their website and they're right - they only allow 1 personal item for free!

I know Frontier is having financial problems, but I don't think running off customers this way is going to help their situation any.

sw733

RE: Frontier Charging For Carry Ons - Who's Next?

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Quoting usa4624 (Thread starter):
I know Frontier is having financial problems, but I don't think running off customers this way is going to help their situation any.

They're now an ULCC. That's their business model, so we'll see how it works. It works pretty well for Spirit.

FATFlyer

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Carry On fees are part of the ULCC model.

Besides Frontier, both Allegiant and Spirit charge for Carry Ons beyond the personal bag under the seat.
http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices
http://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

adamblang

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:35 pm

I'd be surprised if any US carrier, in the foreseeable future, aside from a new ULCC startup, starts charging for carryons.

vfw614

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 2):

Besides Frontier, both Allegiant and Spirit charge for Carry Ons beyond the personal bag under the seat.

Out of curiosity as I have neer traveled with them: How is that enforced? FA lying in the overhead bins policing that everything put up there has a payment receipt stickered to it? Or every item checked at the gate?

spinkid

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 pm

This is really old news now. As an A-net member I'm surprised you learned this the hard way.

I am curious hot its enforced though

lightsaber

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Quoting adamblang (Reply 3):

I'd be surprised if any US carrier, in the foreseeable future, aside from a new ULCC startup, starts charging for carryons.

I have quite a few cousins who LOVE the ULCC model. They know how to travel with only a daypack. These same cousins fly J international. It is all about value for the money. They certainly

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 4):
Out of curiosity as I have neer traveled with them: How is that enforced? FA lying in the overhead bins policing that everything put up there has a payment receipt stickered to it? Or every item checked at the gate?

I thought one received a tag for a paid roller... I'm curious as to how it works.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

mke717spotter

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Quoting adamblang (Reply 3):

Only way I see that happening is if they drop the fees for checked bags.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Cipango

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:21 pm

So a carry on is $30 and checked bag is $20 on a mock booking DEN-LGA.

I don't understand the pricing. Is it due to delay in boarding for those with bags?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

mariner

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting usa4624 (Thread starter):

Frontier made $127 million net profit last year.

Quoting Cipango (Reply 8):
So a carry on is $30 and checked bag is $20 on a mock booking DEN-LGA.

It's an incentive to checks bags and helps clean up - and speed up - the boarding process, which used to be the biggest single source of complaints at Frontier.

They tried strict sizing and that led to a lot of aggro - the "sizing witches" - LOL.

mariner
aeternum nauta

rtalk25

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 4):
A lying in the overhead bins policing that everything put up there has a payment receipt stickered to it? Or every item checked at the gate?

It happens at the gate when one provides the boarding pass, and not on the plane. The only policing on the plane that I've seen is on Spirit where FAs prevent back passengers from simply moving up to the Big Front Seats when those are unoccupied. Spirit FAs ensure those seats go unoccupied if nobody has paid for the upgrade at the gate or before.

nkops

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 6):
I'm curious as to how it works.

At NK, if you pay for your carry-on, you are put in zone 1 for boarding.. if your BP does not say zone 1 and you have a carry on, you are snagged at the gate and have to pay. Spirit will occasionally have someone at the TSA checkpoint line to check BP's so people will have to go back to counter. Only pre-paid carry ons are in zone 1, all other start in zone 2
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

spinkid

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 11):
Spirit FAs ensure those seats go unoccupied if nobody has paid for the upgrade at the gate or before.

This happens on Air Asia as well. I'm glad they do it, because if you pay for the extra legroom, you should get the benefit of your seatmates not showing up and being able to spread out.

I'd be ticked if I paid, and someone crammed in next to me for free after we took off.