Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Flying UA To Tokyo Help Please!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 am

Me and my friends are looking at going to Tokyo for the first week of August. This is to help with what flights to pick, but if you have any advise about Tokyo or Japan period, that would be appreciated!

We will most likely be nonreving on UA to make the expenses easier on us.

The idea I have in my head is flying IAH-SFO-HND and getting in at 10:45 pm and getting to our hostel around midnight and then having a good nights sleep to start the trio off well. I've looked at all flights on UA from the mainland USA to NRT/HND and KIX and they all look awesome uo front, but almost full in Y with Y+ looking not so bad as well from all cities. Which flights are historically the best to get on upfront to Tokyo?

Coming back, I am thinking about coming through DEN for the easy transit, butHND-SFO also looks good, but I will probably go out of NRT as it will be easier to come home in time to move to school. My question is the same as above, which ones are historically the best to get back to the US? I'm open to all options, even flying through ICN, HKG, GUM or HNL.

I will be originating in IAH and ending there as well. All input about flights and any Japan advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!      

Mods: I meant to put this in Travel, Pols, and Prefs. Please move.

[Edited 2015-07-02 18:27:51]
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

alfa164

RE: Flying UA To Tokyo Help Please!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Thread starter):
I will be originating in IAH and ending there as well. All input about flights and any Japan advice is greatly appreciated!

Why would you not fly non-stop out of IAH to NRT? I know it would probably require taking the train into Tokyo, but with the non-stop, once you get on in Houston you know you will get all the way to Japan.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:38 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 1):

That is definitely an option, and probably what I will most likely do, but I also want to see if I can fly on a 777 with F, 787, or 744. Plus the HND option is very appealing.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

DualQual

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 1):

This. Non-revving on hub to hub (IAH-SFO, IAH-DEN) is difficult on a good day. Take the non-stop.
There's no known cure for stupid

Concordski

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:06 am

I would generally advise against going to Japan if you're flying without a ticket in the first half of August. Japan will be celebrating Obon and it is a very busy time for travel. I remember checking in on my flight back to the states from Narita a few years ago and ANA staff were mentioning how the particular day I was flying was the most busy it had been out of Narita that year. So specifically, the return leg will likely be the most challenging as VFR traffic heads to the states at the beginning of Obon. Other than during Obon and Golden Week, you're less likely to get bumped, or stuck at an airport depending on your method of travel.

On another note, on a return from HND in a busy period, Delta oversold Y into LAX by ~30 on a 777 due to (assumedly) VFR traffic and I was fortunate enough to fly in J.

[Edited 2015-07-02 19:08:30]

alfa164

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:57 am

Quoting Concordski (Reply 4):
On another note, on a return from HND in a busy period, Delta oversold Y into LAX by ~30 on a 777 due to (assumedly) VFR traffic and I was fortunate enough to fly in J.

They must have really sold a lot of tickets; I think they usually fly a 767 on that route.

Maybe they gave up on SEA-HND too soon ...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:10 am

I have noticed that Y is almost sold out on almost all of the flights I looked at and then Y+ was looking decent with F/C looking almost completely open on all flights. I know its a month out so I'm cautiously optimistic.

n757kw

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:55 am

Not knowing if you are a UA employee or not or how UA non-rev systems works, the following may or may not be pertinent.

Watch for how many employees list on a flight and where you fall in that list.
Watch class of service. For example on my carrier, employees sit in economy only, no upgrades. Due to that policy, I am limited in class of service on other carriers we have agreements with.

My carrier is pretty much full to Asia from June to August. Seats are available here and there. So make sure the ticket can be easily changed or can work to another city. My carriers ZED policy can make this a hassel.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

cedarjet

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 pm

Even at the end of July hotels in Tokyo are full. Book your accommodation ahead of time, and good luck with flights. Agreed IAH is a better bet for non-rev.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

bourbon

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:59 am

If you can make it to SFO take the HND trip. Historically it always goes out with quite a few seats up front.
Coming back IAD may be your best bet. Going through GUM will still require flying through HNL. That flight alone is difficult plus HNL to IAH can be a tricky flight to get on.
And as always You might get lucky non stop back to IAH.

gocaps16

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Thread starter):
but almost full in Y with Y+ looking not so bad as well from all cities.

Once Y fills up, then they'll start filling up the Y+ seats when the date approaches near. So your chance on getting a Y+ seat at the gate is very slim even if it is wide open right now. It's only July. In 3 weeks, flights to Tokyo will fill up fast.

I just left NRT last week to the US. I bought my tickets a month in advance, business class and first class domestic were completely full even 30 days in advanced. There were a few seats in Y so I ended up taking Delta Comfort which was open. At the gate, we was going to be a full flight, but not oversold as I would give up my seat for someone else like you for you to get on.   Anyway, you guys won't be on the standby list, expect 30+. Flying to/from Japan in the summer time SUCKS. I normally avoid flying out there in the Summer. I had no choice. I had an appointment with the US Embassy in Tokyo so I had to. I normally travel out there during the non-peak travel as it is stress-free. I just hope your travel dates are flexible. Then again, a lot of my airline buddies actually get a seat from IAH-NRT, if you dont mind a middle seat.

bourbon

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:45 pm

SFO - HND is almost as wide open on a daily basis as IAD-KWI

gocaps16

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:10 pm

What's nice with united.com is that you can check the loads and the standby list on any flight the day of departure but since you are an employee with UA, you have that on your employee based computer. On today's SFO-HND flight, the loads look widely open with about 73 seats open in Y, 18 in J, and 6 in F. Depending on how many standby's are on that flight, you actually might have a chance to get on this flight. (If you were departing tonight)