Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chrisp390
Topic Author

Chaos On EK BKK - HKG

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 am

I was recently on a EK flight from BKK to HKG and it was the most chaotic flight I have ever been on. So many Asian passengers were carting several large luggage bags and many shopping bags into the airplane, well above the allowable amounts. On top of this they were all shouting, and not sitting down despite the flight attendants repeatedly shouting at them all to do so. We were driving to the runway and some were standing on seats taking pictures and videos, others were pulling luggage out of the overhead bins to try and squeeze their shopping in, and others opened up cupboards containing blankets and threw them across the cabin to other passengers. This caused many people to stand up and rush over to get their own. Then they started taking food from the galley and passing it around. This was all while we were driving to the runway and taking off. The flight attendants initially shouted and tried to stop it but by the end they just stood by and watched. Why on earth would we be allowed to takeoff with this behavior going on & secondly as I rarely travel in this part of the world is this sort of thing common?

col

RE: Chaos On EK BKK - HKG

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:58 am

Welcome to Asia, things like this are common, but yours sounds particularly extreme. The EK crew should have done more from what you are saying.

USAirALB

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:58 am

I think the standing during take off and landing is somewhat common. I flew about 25 different legs to/from HKG this year so far, and on maybe half of those flight, a passenger has normally stood up to walk around and play with the overhead bins during takeoff, but usually landing. I have never heard of them taking food from the galley areas, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

BestWestern

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:20 am

I came back from KUL to HK last Friday evening on MH and it was the very same. Delays to push back, self service to catering cart drinks and a very patient and wonderful staff doing their very best to be polite to our mainland friends.

I said to the lovely crew member serving me that I thought the crew were very patient - she gave me a lovely smile and admitted that the Chinese mainland flights are even more difficult again.

Having lived in Mainland China for four years and moved on, it's still shocking to be reminded that money and instant wealth doesn't mean education and class. Zhen de Lao Biao
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

factsonly

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:49 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 3):
our mainland friends

Says it all.

TC957

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 am

Perhaps whilst taxiing out a sharp dab on the brakes from the flight crew would be an appropriate reminder to comply with cabin crew instructions.
Totally unacceptable by these passengers and of course it will take a serious incident to change things for the better of the rest of the flying public in these areas.

directorguy

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting chrisp390 (Thread starter):

I think that had the flight been going to DXB, they would have been a lot stricter/enforced the rules. I always notice that cabin crew on QR/EK are far less likely when it's a flight heading to home base where they can call in security/back-up.

To be honest, I have seen a lot of bad behavior from mainland passengers on flights I've been on. Not adhering to seat assignments, too many carry-ons, full seat recline, but also sneaking food from the galley and even a few bottles of alcohol from the trolley during a drink run.

aerorobnz

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:36 am

Quoting TC957 (Reply 5):
Perhaps whilst taxiing out a sharp dab on the brakes from the flight crew would be an appropriate reminder to comply with cabin crew instructions.
Totally unacceptable by these passengers and of course it will take a serious incident to change things for the better of the rest of the flying public in these areas.

I flew on RJ BKK-HKG and they did just that. having already very sternly attempted to get everyone seated the captain jumped on the brakes. The entire cabin fell down like dominoes. I laughed and laughed and said out loud "serves you all right for ignoring the crew" - It still makes me laugh just thinking about it.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Byrdluvs747

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:55 am

Say what you want about the US, but we sure as hell wouldn't tolerate that on an American carrier.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

factsonly

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:13 am

Hmmmm,

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 8):
an American carrier.

full off

our mainland friends.

we'll see what happens!

AIRWALK

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 7):
I flew on RJ BKK-HKG and they did just that. having already very sternly attempted to get everyone seated the captain jumped on the brakes. The entire cabin fell down like dominoes

I can't imagine a captain intentionally putting his passengers in danger. Not the way to do it
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

airevents

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 am

Reminds me of a flight I took recently from BKK to HKG on Hong Kong Airlines. The flight attendant complained about the passengers from the mainland and how uneducated they were. And yes, the flight was a hell of a mess. What to do?

[email protected]

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:21 am

Looking forward to my EK HKG-BKK in August. Not.  
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

notdownnlocked

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:24 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 8):
Say what you want about the US, but we sure as hell wouldn't tolerate that on an American carrier.

You wouldn't have a choice on an American carrier. As soon as the brakes were applied around 50% of the passengers onboard would be calling their lawyers and 911 claiming back and neck injuries and broken ankles meanwhile the other 50% are calling CNN and other news outlets. If the ambulance or news outlets didn't make an appearance in a short amount of time other lawsuits would be filed. 1-800-HURT-911.

Byrdluvs747

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:37 am

Quoting notdownnlocked (Reply 13):
As soon as the brakes were applied around 50% of the passengers onboard would be calling their lawyers and 911 claiming back and neck injuries and broken ankles meanwhile the other 50% are calling CNN and other news outlets.

It wouldn't have even progressed to that point. The pilot would return the plane to the gate and police would be called.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

notdownnlocked

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:02 am

Hence the need to involve the lawyers.

jumpjet

Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 am

A very similar thing although not quite as dramatic happened on a BA flight I was on from LHR to TLV. As we boarded, it was obvious that the A321 was very full. People wouldn't sit down, they had far too much hand luggage and is was pandemonium instead of the usual calm atmosphere. There was swapping of seats, moving of bags, arguing and shouting, it was a complete shambles and the poor cabin crew were totally ignored. It all seemed to be down to half a dozen Israeli families who were travelling together and thought they were a law unto themselves. In the end the captain had to announce that until they sorted themselves out, we weren't going to be going anywhere!

aerorobnz

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 am

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 10):
I can't imagine a captain intentionally putting his passengers in danger. Not the way to do it

It wasn't intentional, the timing just made it seem that way.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Kashmon

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 am

I have flown on CX often
they don't tolerate this nonsense
then again HK'ers tend to fly CX
the rest the other carriers
and HK locals tend to be more civilised...

BestWestern

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 am

The mainland tourist crowd on CX are more restrained than on MH - but that is probably because the CX crew know how to treat the Lao Biao from Nanchang.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

HELyes

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting directorguy (Reply 6):
also sneaking food from the galley

Finnair FA told she once saw a Chinese gentleman sneaking HER lunch from the galley   I've heard AY flights to Xi'an and Chongqing can be especially 'interesting'.

allrite

Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting Kashmon (Reply 18):
and HK locals tend to be more civilised...

Criticising Mainland Chinese is in vogue these days and I have certainly heard a lot out of Hong Kong. However, back in 2007 we flew extensively around China on domestic airlines and saw no passenger issues whatsoever.

And I think back to a hotel in Guilin where we had a lovely room. Then a couple of Hong Kong families arrived and proceeded to shout at the top of their voices between the rooms as they played mah jong, making it unbearable for us in the adjacent room. Asking them to be quieter and more considerate (yes, being from Hong Kong they could speak English and my wife asked in Cantonese too) they just ignored us. I can think of several other incidents from rude and inconsiderate visitors and immigrants from Hong Kong. So, whilst I can think of plenty of annoying behaviours from mainland Chinese tourists (and Australian tourists and American tourists and...) I'm not sure that any nationality can claim that much superiority.
I like artificial banana essence!

HELyes

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Have to add the real problems on AY flights are mostly caused by unruly toxicated Europeans, not by unexperienced Chinese passengers.

b747400erf

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Interesting story if true, but I couldn't get over the "driving to the runway" comment. That's funny sounding. Almost as funny as all this accepted bigotry against Chinese.

hz747300

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I've taken this EK flight numerous times and I have never seen anything close to this. My guess is that a tour package was sold to a group which does not travel frequently. I have seen it on CX, but I expect it as they sell many tour packages, and package travelers are generally less frequent travelers and don't understand all the rules...
Keep on truckin'...

MD11Engineer

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:52 pm

When I flew to HKG from FRA on my way to CEB with CX last April, there was a large (probably mainland Chinese) tour group ahead of me at check in, with lots of shopping and oversized hand carry, which caused lots of discussions with the very firm check-in staff (several passengers of this group were sent away to re-pack their luggage or to go to the ticket counter to pay for overweight luggage). They were holding up the the whole check-in, but fortunately CX called everybody not in this group over to the first class counter to check in.

Whiler on business trips I was several times quartered in a hotel in LUX, which was also frequented by mainland Chinese travel groups. While I'm sure that most of them were nice people as individuals, as groups they really annoyed, especially their taking over the breakfast room in the mornings and emptying the buffet, as if they wouldn't be able to get food for the next few days. The hotel was frequented by quite a few aircraftmaintenance freelancer contractors, who had to be on time to work at Cargolux and we had a serious problem: Either get up about two hours earlier than normally necessary (not enough sleep) and get breakfast before the tourists would come in, to be late for work, or not to have breakfast.
I'm sure though that large tourist groups from other countries, including my own, are similarly obnoxious.
The tourists then are not individuals anymore, but develop an "us vs. them" mindset against everybody who is not a group member, e.g. letting other group members jump the line etc..

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

us330

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 14):

It wouldn't have even progressed to that point. The pilot would return the plane to the gate and police would be called.

From my recent experiences traveling on domestic U.S. legs, whenever people were out in the aisles when they shouldn't have been, all the cabin crew had to do was call them out over the PA system, and that solved the problem.

b747400erf

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):

I'm sure though that large tourist groups from other countries, including my own, are similarly obnoxious.
The tourists then are not individuals anymore, but develop an "us vs. them" mindset against everybody who is not a group member, e.g. letting other group members jump the line etc..

It used to be Americans that were judged for the actions of a few, China today supplies a growing number of tourists and they are the new country to be judged.

EMB170

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 26):
From my recent experiences traveling on domestic U.S. legs, whenever people were out in the aisles when they shouldn't have been, all the cabin crew had to do was call them out over the PA system, and that solved the problem.

Have seen this on AF, as well.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

Planeflyer

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Some perspective; Rules largely don't matter on the mainland. So why should they matter on a flight? Not saying this is right but this is how these folks see it.

Just return to the gate and let them face the consequences and a bit of behavior modification will take effect.

tonymctigue

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 19):
The mainland tourist crowd on CX are more restrained than on MH - but that is probably because the CX crew know how to treat the Lao Biao from Nanchang.

I have noticed a trend when I fly on CX from MEL-HKG that check-in at MEL seems to take forever even if you queue early and are near the front of the line as returning emmigrants seem to not understand (or choose to ignore) luggage limits and hence I have frequently encountered situations where all check-in agents are arguing with passengers who want to bring their 3 checked bags weighing 30 kg each on their economy ticket which allows only a combined 20 kg max. Then once the argument is complete the weight shedding must begin.....

I thankfully have not encountered the situation described in the thread opener but I would be well in favour of the tap the brakes scenario or the 'we're not going anywhere till you all sit down and shut up' approach. I'm surprised the cabin crew did not inform the captain who in turn you would expect to not proceed with ther flight until everyone had settled down.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:20 pm

I have flown BKK to HKG with EK last year and didn't experience anything like what you described.

PhoenixVIP

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:59 pm

This is just generalising and stereotyping that people from mainland like myself act like a zoo on a plane because we are rich and uneducated. Thats incorrect. You will get annoying travellers on any flight and any airline. You can have bad tour groups from England, Germany, New Zealand, Singapore etc. Or should we say if baby cry non stop on a plane we should stereotype that anyone flying with baby onboard should be sanctioned?

I myself fly on Chinese airlines frequently for business and have not once had issues with check in or in flight behaviour. Attendants are well trained on mainland airlines to diffuse such situations and I have always been part of a civilised service.

I take Chinese trains too and even that is civilised in soft sitters and sleepers. Either that or I seem to have no comprehension of the people in my country. Lets move on...
Inspire the truth.

liftsifter

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:15 pm

driving to the runway

This irrked me...

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 10):

I could certainly see it. The Arab mentality is quite different in this regard. Furthermore, I'm quite sure a slight tap on the brake to jog the passenger's manners isn't uncalled for in this situation. I, however, would return to the gate and ask those passengers to deplane.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

Cipango

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:23 pm

n top of this they were all shouting, and not sitting down despite the flight attendants repeatedly shouting at them all to do so. We were driving to the runway and some were standing on seats taking pictures and videos, others were pulling luggage out of the overhead bins to try and squeeze their shopping in, and others opened up cupboards containing blankets and threw them across the cabin to other passengers. This caused many people to stand up and rush over to get their own. Then they started taking food from the galley and passing it around.

Exact same thing happened to me EK 385 HKG-BKK. It was chaos until one very tall and very intimidating English Man stood up and in a true army style roared "Everyone sit down and shut the hell up". No one spoke for at least 5 minutes and it was hilarious to watch.

Coming into BKK we had quite a rough landing (as all of my A380 landings have seemed to be) and one of the galley compartments right across from row 79 burst open and all of the cups fell out. While hurtling down the runway those in the aisle seats of row 78 filled their duffel bags under their seats with EK cups.

Never a boring flight in Asia...
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

seabosdca

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):

Any large group of people traveling together, whether an organized tour group or a large family, seems to result in this phenomenon. It's very bad luck to be on a flight or in a hotel with such a group. And it is worse on flights when the group is made up of infrequent travelers. I expect that is what happened to OP.

our mainland friends
Quoting PhoenixVIP (Reply 32):
This is just generalising and stereotyping that people from mainland like myself act like a zoo

On the one hand, I don't think being from the Chinese mainland automatically makes people more prone to this sort of behavior. On the other hand, the Chinese mainland has a much higher proportion than most places of people who only recently developed the means to travel by air and don't yet know the social conventions of it. Because of that I can see how Chinese tour groups would be more susceptible to problem behavior.

aerolimani

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 pm

This is just generalising and stereotyping that people from mainland like myself act like a zoo on a plane because we are rich and uneducated. Thats incorrect. You will get annoying travellers on any flight and any airline. You can have bad tour groups from England, Germany, New Zealand, Singapore etc.

Yes! This thinly veiled bigotry needs to stop.

I've flown between YVR and PEK a number of times. Without exception, my experiences have been pleasant enough. People were generally polite and well-behaved. If the problem, as described by the OP, is consistent on EK, then perhaps it's a problem with the airline and not with the passengers. Humans, of all ethnicities and nationalities, will behave badly if permitted. If the lack of discipline is allowed to go on, it will simply get worse over time. It's human nature.

If they are interested in changing the situation, an airline could simply watch for a few particularly badly behaved people, and make examples of them. Stealing from a drink cart is theft. Not to mention, it's usually a crime to simply disobey the instructions of a flight crew. Get some people arrested, and put their names on a blacklist. This will make headlines, and people will notice.

I advocate that flying should be considered a privilege, and not a right.

nikeherc

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Many years ago I was on a late arriving DL flight to ATL. As we were taxiing to the terminal, we were getting ready to cross the active. During the brief stop prior to the crossing, many passengers stood up to get their stuff out of the overhead bins. The lead FA informed the cockpit and we did not move. Then, there was an announcement made that the aircraft would not move until everyone was seated with their seat belts on. My favorite line from the lead FA was "We can't move until everyone is seated because every now and then we have a jerk." It got quite a laugh from all of us. Everyone was tired and wanted to go home or catch their connecting flight, but the plane didn't move until everyone was in their seat.

I also remember being on a KAL from HND to SEL. Prior to takeoff, the FAs passed a tray with hard candy. One little old Korean lady took the tray and dumped it all into her shopping bag. The FA reloaded the tray and brought it back to the same row. The little old lady did the same thing again.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

kq747

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 36):
Quoting aerolimani (Reply 36):
This is just generalising and stereotyping that people from mainland like myself act like a zoo on a plane because we are rich and uneducated. Thats incorrect. You will get annoying travellers on any flight and any airline. You can have bad tour groups from England, Germany, New Zealand, Singapore etc.

Yes! This thinly veiled bigotry needs to stop.

I don't think anyone is being bigoted here, just reporting their experiences. Furthermore, the idea that many (not all) Chinese tourists from the mainland do not know the social conventions of travel due to it being so new to them has been repeatedly reported by many news agencies including mainland China news outlets. This coupled with the fact that the Chinese government is to the best of my knowledge the only country to disseminate a guide on how to behave properly when traveling (some of the 'guidelines' were quite ridiculous though, but others perfectly fine) suggests that the problem is well known and that efforts are being made to inform the people which I can only applaud and hope will have a positive effect.

Having never been to the mainland, I personally haven't experienced anything like what the OP is referring to. However, on my flights between the middle east and India, I have experienced the worst travelers, who are probably migrant workers. They rush the gate at the first boarding announcement, pushing and shoving (an elderly man almost fell on my last flight), and knocked people with their luggage at the baggage carousel, asking for too many drinks and the list goes on and on. Being of Indian origin, I do feel like they reflect badly on Indians in general. Bad behavior is obviously not exclusively an Asia problem as I've seen my fair share of ill mannered passengers from the US and Kenya. My point is, people who don't know the proper social conventions of flying and travelling in general, need to be informed. The Airlines and flight attendants should find some way of enforcing their rules as well as those made by governments and administrations.

Flying to me is still an experience every time as I imagine it is for many of us on this site. This sort of behavior only cheapens the experience.

COSPN

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I was on LH one time MNL-BKK some girl passenger was standing up geting something out the bin .. Was 747-400 did a ful stop on the way to the gate she went flying ... It's amazing how a 747 can stop on a dime ..

ttm

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:43 pm

I have been on several legs into and within China and have never experienced anything similar to what OP describes, except to a much lesser extent on a PEK-JNB flight. During taxi someone stood up and opened the baggage bin, which invited the already strapped in cabin crew to shout in English repeatedly and increasingly with desperation for the passenger to sit down. The passenger seemed not to recognize the instruction and continued his search of the bin. I would have thought that any airline flying into China would be ready to also issue safety directives in any of the China languages!

travelin man

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 pm

I experienced a similar situation on SQ from SIN-PEK. While we were taxiing for takeoff many people were wandering about the cabin, standing on their seats talking to people around them, and getting things in/out of the overhead bins. The flight attendants were trying to put a stop to it but it seemed to be a losing battle. My partner flew DPS-HKG and experienced something similar. I was actually shocked about this as I've never experienced people disobeying flight crews to that extent, especially as we're about to take off. I flew DL PEK-NRT, however, and nothing like that happened (that flight was relatively empty though).

That is my only experience flying to/from mainland China, so I can't say if it's a common occurrence, but it sounds like it occurs more frequently than some would care to acknowledge/believe.

I've flown NRT-SIN several times, and the comparison in terms of obeying cabin authority is quite stark.

texdravid

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:44 am

Rude and unruly passengers are common on AI international and domestic flights, and really, any flight into India.

Indians stand up before takeoff, stand up immediately after landing before the gate has been reached, and by far the worst thing they do is have a free for all once the gate has been reached. No one waits for the preceding row to deplane and then its your turn. So much pushing and shoving and cutting in line.

I was pushed so hard in the back once at DEL on a Jet airways flight that I turned around and told this pipsqueak that I was going to deck him right off the jetway. He quietly stopped shoving and turned into a mouse.

For full disclosure, I am an Indian American and my childhood was spent flying to India in the summer and experienced all this buffoonery in person.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

bunumuring

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:55 am

I have flown extensively between Australia and China, and within China, and I have only seen unruly behavior a few times on domestic Chinese flights. This mainly was limited to passengers standing before the aircraft had stopped taxying to the gate after landing, and basically pushing and shoving to get off the plane.

Never have I seen some of the extreme behaviour recounted by the OP, but I can imagine it happening.

Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

777Jet

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:24 am

I've flown the BKK-HKG route on EK several times and have never encountered such a situation.

I've never seen the pax behaving differently to those on any other airline / route combo - eg: civilized  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

MillwallSean

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:08 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 35):
On the one hand, I don't think being from the Chinese mainland automatically makes people more prone to this sort of behavior. On the other hand, the Chinese mainland has a much higher proportion than most places of people who only recently developed the means to travel by air and don't yet know the social conventions of it. Because of that I can see how Chinese tour groups would be more susceptible to problem behavior.
Quoting ttm (Reply 40):
I have been on several legs into and within China and have never experienced anything similar to what OP describes, except to a much lesser extent on a PEK-JNB flight. During taxi someone stood up and opened the baggage bin, which invited the already strapped in cabin crew to shout in English repeatedly and increasingly with desperation for the passenger to sit down. The passenger seemed not to recognize the instruction and continued his search of the bin. I would have thought that any airline flying into China would be ready to also issue safety directives in any of the China languages!

Id say that those of us who has traveled regularly in mainland china have noticed that the behaviour of some passengers leaves alot to be desired.

My own anecdotal experience is that its by far the worst on foreign, non western, airlines. And as mentioned before, a tourgroup often feels rather chaotic to the eye. But I have come to realise one thing, (as have the Chinese government) tourgroups going south to say Thailand, Philippines or Malaysia more often than others tend to be an issue.

My own highly unscientific idea is that it has all to do with the fact that Chinese tend to look at the smaller, darker skinned FA:s that smile and are very submissive and warm in their actions and think I'm the boss and they are serving me. Polite Thais or Indos seem to struggle the most with this.
To western FA:s they usually listen and mainland Chinese staff seem to know exactly how to speak to them.

PRC have a different way of communicating especially in the very broken English. Its like sister machine gun is speaking. it sounds more direct and rather aggressive, especially when they almost never have spoken the language. However Id say that this phenomenon is a lot about us getting used to a new culture.
Just like I often find the majority of American passengers and crew loud, shallow and obnoxious, despite them, in there cultural sphere act in a way thats considered nice and friendly, Id say the PRC often act ok within their culture but quite a few of the rest of us struggle with that culture. Also anyone thats seen CCTV and how they describe China in comparison to other countries may understand that the Chinese feel superior especially to other Asians. They have after all been fed that propaganda all their lives.

I sure know that the PRC workers that live and work in SG to a much higher degree struggle with basic social skills thats expected in SG. Ive also learnt that their customer service skills takes about three years to be taught.
Its funny because the SG Chinese (and the Malaysian, Indonesian, Filipino Chinese) tend to have better customer service skills than we Europeans have so its not about Chinese more the values and culture that exists in present day PRC.

To me it tends to be to be worst in Guandong or the more interior cities that I have frequently visited. But thats just my experience.

Quoting texdravid (Reply 42):

I was pushed so hard in the back once at DEL on a Jet airways flight that I turned around and told this pipsqueak that I was going to deck him right off the jetway. He quietly stopped shoving and turned into a mouse.

For full disclosure, I am an Indian American and my childhood was spent flying to India in the summer and experienced all this buffoonery in person.

This I agree on.
Getting of a plane in Delhi or any northern indian city sans Amdabad is like running in front of the bulls in Spain.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

United Airline

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:26 am

I am surprised. Are they from Thailand or UAE or Hong Kong?

Regarding the MH flight are they Malaysians? Most Malaysians I know are civilized and nice though some of them are not

Cipango

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:36 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 46):
I am surprised. Are they from Thailand or UAE or Hong Kong?

On my HKG-BKK flight they were mainland Chinese.

United Airline

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:25 am

Why do mainland Chinese want to fly via HKG while they can go direct?

Cipango

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 48):
Why do mainland Chinese want to fly via HKG while they can go direct?

If they are from Guangdong they can get a ferry from Mainland China straight to the airport without having to clear HK immigration - or so I have been told.

HK can offer the most competitive price and also it could be a better deal for the tour group.

I see many Mainland Tour groups passing through the airport.