Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Trump 757

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:21 pm

I find it interesting that his 757 repositions from JFK to LGA ... EWR to LGA I can understand because of traffic but JFK???? 8 minutes shortest 757 flight out there!

Viscount724

RE: Trump 757

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:49 am

Quoting crownvic (Thread starter):
I find it interesting that his 757 repositions from JFK to LGA ... EWR to LGA I can understand because of traffic but JFK???? 8 minutes shortest 757 flight out there!

JFK-LGA is exactly the same distance (11 miles/9 nm) as SFO-OAK which at one time had quite a few scheduled flights that originated in SFO, stopped in OAK, and then continued beyond, and vice versa westbound. Aircraft as large as 707s and DC-8s were used on those sectors. The gate-to-gate block time was usually about 25 minutes, although the time in the air was of course much less.

spacecadet

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:37 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
JFK-LGA is exactly the same distance (11 miles/9 nm) as SFO-OAK

JFK-LGA is 9.2 miles by car. SFO-OAK is 31.6. That's a huge difference.

The point isn't how long it takes to fly there. The question is why would you reposition an airliner from one airport to the other? The assumption is because Trump doesn't want to drive an additional 9.2 miles, which seems unreasonable given the cost of repositioning a 757. Of course, there could be other reasons, like parking availability or cost, fuel availability or whatever.

But JFK-LGA isn't comparable in the least to SFO-OAK. There's a good reason for a plane to stop at both SFO and OAK, which is that it's not that easy for passengers on one side of the bay to get to an airport on the other. But JFK and LGA have an "as the crow flies" expressway connecting them. Even when you're not talking about a guy with a private limousine, it's pretty easy to get from one airport to the other. It's not like SFO-OAK or even JFK-EWR (which is a comparable drive).

GavinSharp

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 pm

As I understand it, the plane is based at LGA, and only ever lands in JFK if it misses the LGA curfew (saw someone mention this in another thread). In that case they ferry it to LGA the next day. So they're not flying it JFK-LGA just to save Trump some car time, they're just bringing it home.

IPFreely

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:02 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 2):
The assumption is because Trump doesn't want to drive an additional 9.2 miles, which seems unreasonable given the cost of repositioning a 757.

Drive? I believe he usually commutes from Manhattan to LaGuardia in his helicopter.

Cadet985

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting GavinSharp (Reply 3):
As I understand it, the plane is based at LGA, and only ever lands in JFK if it misses the LGA curfew (saw someone mention this in another thread). In that case they ferry it to LGA the next day. So they're not flying it JFK-LGA just to save Trump some car time, they're just bringing it home.

Yes, I remember seeing on an episode of "Mighty Planes" featuring this 757 that it is based at LGA (I'm guessing parking isn't as expensive as JFK, and traffic is less).

I had figured it was based at JFK, being closer to Manhattan. Won a bet with a friend who thought it was based at TEB.

Marc

flymia

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting crownvic (Thread starter):

The plane is based in LGA. The amount of money saved in parking at EWR or JFK for more than a few hours is more than made up in the cost of the flight over a whole year of parking at non-home base airports. Also, the plane needs to go home, that's where its supplies are, mechanics etc.

thegman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 5):
I had figured it was based at JFK, being closer to Manhattan. Won a bet with a friend who thought it was based at TEB.

When has JFK ever been closer to Manhattan than LGA?