Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VS4ever
Topic Author

Stupid People On Planes

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:00 am

I hope this doesn't get moved to a different forum as i think it's an interesting topic particularly after what happened to me tonight.

I would like to use this thread as a way of bringing to the fore the crazy true stories of every day life in air travel world. Could it fall into the trip report category, i suppose, but i see this as more of an event thing, so mods, let's see how this goes.

So tonight's gem happened on UA1195 ORD-BOS (737-900, 1 month old plane)... a very routine flight (shorter than normal AND we left on time from ORD) (a miracle in itself)..

As we are coming into land at BOS, we could be no more than 700-800ft off the ground, some bozo decides to get up and walk almost the entire length of the plane to the toilets at the back. After getting a scolding announcement over the PA system, he sheepishly wanders back to his seat, but then starts talking to his seat neighbor and DOESN'T sit down.

I am not a million miler by any means, but in all my time of traveling, i have never seen a FA run as fast down the aisle as this one did to force the guy to sit down. No more than about 15 seconds after the FA got back to his jump seat, did the plane actually hit the tarmac.

absolutely ridiculous to be honest and frankly the folks around me were quite shocked that it had happened, as he was down in the early rows of Economy, I never did see if he got another talking to. I know what my feelings were on the subject..

Who's next with a good one.... would love to hear it.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Acey559

RE: Stupid People On Planes

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:21 am

Back when I flew for MQ, I was on a deadhead and watched a mother allow her small child crawl around on the floor of an Embraer, even as the baby was picking things up off the floor and trying to eat them. To top it off, we were wheels down on final approach and the mother decided that would be a good opportunity to let the child crawl two rows back to sit with the father. The flight attendant about had a heart attack. There are countless others I've seen over the last few years, but that one takes the cake for me.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

csturdiv

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:32 am

Two people stand out the most for me, same flight and same group. About 10 years ago I was flying ORD-FLL on NK. Was a few days before Christmas and I was heading to FLL to board a cruise ship for a Christmas cruise that was leaving the next day. The day I was to fly out, Chicago was getting hammered with a near blizzard like storm and our flight was not cancelled (this is NK, I think the only carrier flying at ORD in that weather too) but delayed for over 7 hours. When our plane finally landed, the gate agent said that everybody is going to board at once, get in your seat as fast as you can so we can get out in the window of light snow. People were still boarding at their leisure even while the FA was "gently" telling people over the PA to get their rears in the seats. I was starting to get to that point of freaking out as there would not be any way for me to get another flight to FLL before having to be on the cruise ship in less than 12 hours. Finally people got in their seat and we pushed back and deiced. I started to get a sense of relief and then I noticed we were going back to the gate. Two people decided that they were too sick to fly and wanted off. So they had to deplane them and find their luggage underneath. Watching the snow start to fall harder, the urge to curse those two idiots was growing stronger and stronger. After the second deice we took off and arrived into FLL well after 4am and then my next hurddle was not to oversleep and miss the boarding on the cruise ship. I still wonder why those two people if they knew they were sick and how urgent it was to board fast and get the heck out of ORD in a small window of light snow, got on and waited to ask to get off after pushback.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

intotheair

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 am

US domestic air travel has become increasingly undignified, and I'm somewhat surprised that I still haven't been on one of those flights that make the news because they had to divert because of some passenger/FA row.

The closest that's happened to me (which is also somewhat similar to your experience tonight) was on an F9 flight about 10 years ago. This was when F9 was still somewhat classy, but about two minutes before touchdown, a woman ran up to the front of the plane with her backpack in hand. The FA shouted at her "What are you doing?" She said she had to use the bathroom, to which the FA yelled "Jesus Christ! Get back in your seat!" Of course, who knows whether she really needed to use the bathroom, or whether she just had to be the first person off the plane...
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

coolian2

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:58 am

I've probably been the somewhat dense passenger after a 30 hour trip. But dense isn't jump up an be a dick.

I asked some poor agent three times the same thing four times - to this day I can't remember what - and when my jetlagged, sleepless brain got it I apologised for actually being stupid.

I was a big plane fan, had myself planned and it all knocked me hard. I know we can't excuse actual idiocy, but let's give the poor "oh duh" flyers a pass sometimes  
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

aklrno

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 4):
I've probably been the somewhat dense passenger after a 30 hour trip. But dense isn't jump up an be a dick.

I asked some poor agent three times the same thing four times - to this day I can't remember what - and when my jetlagged, sleepless brain got it I apologised for actually being stupid.

This thread is probably in the wrong place, but I was once (at least) the stupid one. I walked on a UA wide body jet lagged after a long day on the ground and couldn't remember if I had boarded through L1 or L2, and due to half the seats facing backward I couldn't figure out where the front of the plane was and thus which way to go to get to my seat. I suspect I appeared to be very dumb, drunk, or both. Those planes should have big arrows saying "This way forward".

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:47 am

How about this passenger who locked him/herself into the toilet and refused to come out at landing.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150806/pilot-breaks-down-toilet-door
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

AR385

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:58 am

Flying from MDZ to SCL during Winter can be a turbulent experience. The worst turbulence I´ve ever experienced was on an AR 732 doing the crossing. I don´t know which degree it fell into. Moderate, severe etc. God knows what it was. But the plane was yawing, rolling and pitching at the same freaking time and everything was blurry from time to time.

We were warned, though, by the Captain, through the PA. He even instructed the FAs to remain seated at all times. Cut to me seating in my window and to my right there is this woman in her early 40s with a permanent frown. Oh, I forget. Of course we were told, actually several times, to keep the seat belt fastened at all times. Before take off. In those years they did not make that announcement as they do know. So we were forewarned that it was going to be not the usual stuff.

Off we go, and as we make the turn to the East to climb and then a gentle u-turn towards that massive wall that is The Andes, the plane stars to dance. At that moment, the lady next to me decides it´s time to go to the loo, and unfastens her seat belt. I don´t know what possessed me to tell her to stay seated an fasten her seat belt AGAIN (no good deed goes unpunished) but she just looked at me as if I had had the audacity to talk to the Queen of England. And in a loud, dismissive, divaesque voice she told me it was no business of mine. Then she turned, and just when she started to walk, to exit the row into the aisle we hit the really good stuff.

I don´t want to say it was fun to see, but it did give some nasty feeling of satisfaction, in a "I told you so..." sort of way. She flew up to the ceiling where she hit her head and got a nice bump, and on the way down, she again flew across the aisle as if someone had grabbed her and thrown her, and thus she ended up in the OTHER row...semiconscious, on top of those passengers there.

By this time everybody was using the airsickness bags so she also ended up covered by various shades of vomit. I know she was lucky, her head hitting the PSU was not that bad but the way she just flew across to the other side, well, I really thought she was going to end up dead or with severe injuries. Up until then I had never seen a human body tossed like that in a confined space. It was sobering and scary.

And it all could have been avoided...if she had just listened, and remained seated, with her seat belt fastened. And that the most stupid passenger I´ve encountered yet.

PS

It did give us an expedited arrival into SCL due to the injuries she sustained. She never did make it to the loo...though and I learned to NEVER, announcement or not, unfasten my seat belt while seated. Even if out the window it looks like the most wonderful day ever.

[Edited 2015-08-06 00:18:05]

Coal

Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:35 am

I was flying TR from KBV back to Singapore. We were also about a minute from landing and a 4-5yo child needed the toilet. The mom tried to take him to the bathroom but upon being scolded by the FA, she proceeded to let the child pee in a plastic bag. She then put the plastic bag in the seat back pocket and left it there for the cleaners   

Rgds
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

thekorean

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 am

Quoting intotheair (Reply 3):

It comes with the territory of becoming more affordable than ever.

People of all sorts can fly now. Meaning more of those weirdos, and assholes.

SIA747Megatop

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 am

On Friday the passenger seated next to me in the middle seat of a UA A319 asked me if I "got a lighter?"

A couple of years ago on an AirAsia flight from Jakarta to Singapore I found a soiled diaper and untouched full sleeve of Oreos in my seat pocket.

On an SQ flight to Mumbai, the woman seated across the aisle (in Suites no less) SCREAMED at the inflight supervisor for serving her gin and tonic pre-mixed, she wanted to pour it herself.
I found the edit signature button

hz747300

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:50 am

Seen many things... I originally thought you were going to post about stupid things you have overheard on a flight which is fun too.

The most memorable one is on a CX flight, I recall an older gentleman who had a terribly red complexion, the kind you would have after drinking a lot, standing up and trying to open the overhead bin. But in the CX B777s there is not always an FA seated in the cabin section. So he is not bothered nor scolded and opens the bins, right when the plane is landing, and as suspected him and a bag in the bin hit the floor. He gets up, and closes the bin and takes the bag to his seat.

But I've seen people get up and try to use the loo after the gears are down more times than I can count on two hands on flights around Asia. Fortunately, I have never seen an accident.
Keep on truckin'...

ianhAU

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:59 am

Marginally related to thread topic: 15ish years ago I was flying transcon Australia (likely PER/MEL, memory fuzzy) on Ansett. The seatbelt sign had been turned on during cruise, but one pax wasn't sitting down. The FA's announcement on the PA went something like "The seatbelt sign has been lit, all passengers please take your seats", followed shortly by "Its a requirement for all passengers to be seated immediately", followed by "THAT MEANS YOU IN THE BLUE SHIRT".

CPDC10-30

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am

On US domestic flights, I've twice had the passenger in the seat in front put items (bag, shoes) under their own seat (i.e. where MY feet are). I kicked the shoes back because I didn't want to touch them, and handed the bag back. It's incredible to me that people don't understand their personal space is in the seat in front of them, not under their own seat. And that the person behind them would accept it without saying anything...incredible.

EBGflyer

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:50 am

A few years ago on my way from Manila to Hong Kong on a A320, there was a guy sitting across the aisle in 1C wearing a bluetooth headset obviously turned on as it was blinking blue. When the door closed and we were getting ready to take off, I asked him whether he was going to turn it off. He simply refused and said I should mind my own business. I said the rules and safety concerned us all, but that got him even more upset and he started to threaten me to beat me up if I didn't shut my mouth. I was being very calm the whole time and just decided not to do more about it. He was infuriated and the Filipina flight attendant didn't even interfere. I think she was scared. Guy eventually calmed down. What a jerk.
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

skymiler

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:28 am

Some are also fascinating ..

Many, many years ago I was flying from Cusco Peru to Lima (on an F28, I think) and the winds in the Andes can be ferocious. Very violent, but few air sick bags, so the seat pockets had to make do for many of the locals, some of whom had never flown before. NASTY!

The gold miners sitting in the rear beside me with loaded revolvers on their laps to protect their nuggets (which they showed me) thought it was hilarious ..

I survived ....
I love to fly, and it shows!

Adipasquale

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:35 am

Quoting thekorean (Reply 9):
People of all sorts can fly now. Meaning more of those weirdos, and assholes.

When before it was just rich wierdos and assholes.   

I've never flown G4, but with all the very infrequent flyers they serve, I'd imagine there are some pretty stupid things that happen on their flights.

In my own experience, January of this year I was flying CLT-CUN on a US A321 and the people in the row in front of me (late teens early 20s) decided they could not wait til arrival (or even until the bathroom opened up) to change into their tropical clothing. They proceeded to change in their seats. Never seen anything like it before or since.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

MD95sOverATL

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 14):

While I would have done without the threats, I would have politely told you to mind your own business as well. They're Bluetooth headphones, not a HAM radio transmitter. I don't know when your flight was, but in the US, they've been approved for all phases of flight since 2013.

I've unknowingly left cell phones on in flight over the years, it's not gonna crash the plane.
EMB120, EMB145, CRJ200, MD88, MD90, 717, 737, 757, 777, A319, A321

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 13):
On US domestic flights, I've twice had the passenger in the seat in front put items (bag, shoes) under their own seat (i.e. where MY feet are). I kicked the shoes back because I didn't want to touch them, and handed the bag back. It's incredible to me that people don't understand their personal space is in the seat in front of them, not under their own seat. And that the person behind them would accept it without saying anything...incredible.

Had that happen to me and my wife on a WN flight from ELP to DAL a decade ago...lady sitting in the bulkhead in front of us has new shoes in a box that she refused to put in the overhead...next thing, I know she slams them back under the seat and into my wife's feet...she slams her feet forward and launches the shoebox back at her.

Probably the biggest weird...or unexpected...thing I've seen in flight was on an AB flight from DUS to MIA back in 13. Make that two things...
First was a lady who was completely out of it...either from drink or meds...or both. She was sitting about five rows behind my wife, daughter and I, and came back from the lav REEKING of cigarettes. The FA's took notice and said she would be cited by the Miami police as soon as we landed for smoking in the lav.
Second thing, I guess, went against what I had envisioned for Europeans being uptight about trash. Because, as we were deplaning the aircraft in MIA, the interior of that 332 looked like a landfill had been dumped on it...it was by far the worst amount of trash I had ever seen on an aircraft.

BN727227Ultra

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:05 pm

US domestic air travel has become increasingly undignified.

I agree, but is there any region/locality where societally flying is considered 'serious' any longer? ME3? Japan?

BN727227Ultra

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Five years ago, after some creative scheduling, I was to fly DFW-ORD on an AA 772. I'm walking down the jetway, when behind me, this guy schlepps his duct-taped, quasi-suitcase past the little 'does your bag fit here?' box and it was slightly ovesize. Proceeds to head down the jetway. The gate agent is yelling at him, repeatedly, but he keeps on walking.

I really was taken aback by his 'ignorace is innocence' and/or condescension. He knew he was the one being yelled at. He was stopped at the door to the aircraft, and I assume his bag was checked and stowed below. I can't say for sure, but as I was seated in F, I turned to the left and he...didn't.  

I really didn't want to miss this flight, and this had the feel of turning into a security deal. First, I had a connection in ORD to make, and second, If my 772 flight got cancelled Murphy's Law meant I'd be rebooked on a Mad Dog!  Wow!

SJCMSP

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:28 pm

I had a situation once where I was flying in UA 737-300 DEN-MSP. As I boarded a family sat a few rows in front of me and I noted there were about 6 children with no parents. The oldest was a girl that was about 12 years old. A man was sitting in the same row as some of the kids and offered to the oldest girl to switch seats with one of the parents so they could be together. I heard the girl decline the offer noting that the parents preferred to sit by themselves. The parents were about 10 rows up and I observed them sitting by themselves having drinks during the flight. On approach to MSP, while we were low enough that the gear was down, I hear a boy that was probably about 4 tell the older sister he had to go to the bathroom. The sister told him to go quickly. The boy got a few rows back before the FA yelled at him to get back to his seat.

rudyioa

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 pm

As a flight attendant working for Cyprus Airways for 12,5 years i faced many of those situations involved a kind of stupid or unruly pax...But i think the one that ill mention below is a kind of a unique itself... 
While climbing out from Jeddah(Saudi Arabia) bound to Larnaca(Cyprus) operating a charter flight during rolling a pax around early 50,s left his seat took a kind of those carpets they re carrying with them and in the middle of the aisle started praying...
What did happen was just an announcement on behalf of the crew leader as we didnt allow to get up from our seats as soon the seat belt signs been switced off...
Tha pax after that wanted ta see the captain and complain for the crew as we made him feel really bad in front of the other 145 pax........
What do you think about that guys?????

))))))

Hands up!!!

kgaiflyer

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Not really stupid . . .

But I was on a DCA-ORD United flight shortly after 9-11.

A sharply dressed black gentleman was sitting next to me on the aisle in row 5. As people passed, they gushed about the wonderful work the air marshals were doing and complimented the guy for being on the plane. Several of the loading passengers even told the gentleman they felt safer because he was on the plane.

By and by, I asked him how long he had been in the air marshal service.

He said, "I'm not -- I'm a pastor, and my congregation is in Chicago."

I didn't ask any more questions.  

winterlight

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:47 pm

People who spend hours in the terminal that decide to use the on board toilet as soon as the seatbelt sign goes out.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

BoeingBear

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Mods, start working on your finger stretches... This topic is going to run longer than the MH370 thread ...

winterlight

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting BoeingBear (Reply 25):
This topic is going to run longer than the MH370 thread ...

At least this thread is about genuine events.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

copter808

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:25 pm

On approach to LAS I watched as two ladies of substantial size squeezed into the row ahead of me to look out the left side. As far as I know, she didn't know the people who were already sitting seated there!

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 13):
It's incredible to me that people don't understand their personal space is in the seat in front of them, not under their own seat.

In most cases though the space under the seat belongs to the person seated there. Exceptions include airplanes, buses, and trains. For someone who doesn't travel often, they may not be familiar with where to put their things. If they ARE frequent travelers or know better, they most certainly belong in this discussion!

Quoting winterlight (Reply 24):
People who spend hours in the terminal that decide to use the on board toilet as soon as the seatbelt sign goes out.

Agreed, but how do you know they spent "hours" in the terminal. Sometimes it might take 30-45 minutes or more from the start of boarding until the seatbelt light goes out and that can be a long time for some people.

SaabFA71

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:25 pm

I was a flight attendant for USAirways Express years ago. I was working a flight at PIT. The captain started the starboard engine during the boarding. It was about 28 degrees in the middle of January, so it wasn't unusual for us to get one engine going before departure just to get some heat in the cabin.

So, we're boarding the aircraft with the #2 engine spinning. In case you're wondering, the #2 engine is one the opposite side of the aircraft, and not the boarding side. I'm greeting everyone as they come aboard. Then this guy asks me at the door: "I have a question." I say: "Sure. How can I help you?" He asks: "Why aren't they running the other engine? Are we going to take off with only one engine? I'm really concerned." It took every fiber of my being to keep me from head-butting him and kicking him in the groin. So, I just flat out told him: " Sir!!! Think about it!! If we were running this propeller while we were boarding this aircraft, you and a few other folks here would be chopped into meat and reprocessed as first class entrees".

I stunned him. He had this look on his face like, "gee, that makes sense now." I caught a gent behind him with a grin on his face after I made my explanation. I swear people leave all but their common sense at home when they arrive at the airport.
I used all of my sick days, so now I'm calling in dead.

stratacruiser

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 pm

When I first started making domestic flights in China in the early 2000s there were often large groups of older Chinese people making what I would assume was their first commercial flight. On several occasions, the second the wheels of the plane touched the runway many of these first timers would jump up, grab their luggage, and start moving up the aisles as the plane continued to roll down the runway. I can only think all of their previous travel experience had been on trains, where they were conditioned to be ready to step out the moment the train stopped at the platform.

Dave

TR763

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I had one in a Copa Airlines flight from PTY to GRU in 2013.

The flight was already one hour late when boarding began.

When pushback started, some 10 rows in front of me a guy started to complain about his seat, telling passengers around him that it was dirty and he wouldn't seat there because he paid for a clean seat, not that mess. I did not see how dirty, or if it was really dirty, but I was hearing everything clearly, so you can imagine how loud he was.

Already taxiing, this guy stands up and starts to argue with a woman right behind who told him to shut up and sit down.
At this moment two FAs came to check what was happening and the guy demanded another seat, which was unavailable as it was a full flight. A very heated argument started between the guy, the woman behind and the FAs, when he ripped the seat cushion off his seat and tried to show everyone how dirty it was.

We were already lining up on the runway, but needless to say, we returned to the gate and the guy was forced out by the police.

Takeoff happened with a delay of 2,5 hours.
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

WildcatYXU

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:57 pm

I've seen several passengers insisting on deplaning on the wrong airport on my way to vacation 3 years ago. It was a triangle flight; YYZ - PUJ - POP - YYZ. We landed at PUJ and there were way more people deplaning than expected. The CSD tried to keep them on board, asking for their boarding passes but without any effect. They just pushed around her and left... I noticed what's going on and told Mrs. Wildcat: "Watch all these people coming back" And indeed, they started to trickle back, looking quite embarrassed. You should see the "Told you so" look on the CSD's face.

Quoting VS4ever (Thread starter):
some bozo decides to get up and walk almost the entire length of the plane to the toilets at the back.

Well, if you have to go, you have to go. Few years ago something similar happened to me. I was coming home from BC. The YVR - YYZ flight was a 330. I was seated in the small J cabin and had a few Johnnie's along with club soda during the flight. I had a feeling I'll make it to YYZ without visiting the head, but there was weather at YYZ and we entered a hold pattern above SW Ontario. So I had to ask a flight attendant if I can go. It was quite embarrassing...
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

AirBoat

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Most dangerous for me is when the plane is about 20m or so from the gate and the pilot stops for a moment, and some
idiots get up and reach for their bags in the overhead bins, and then the plane move again.
These bozos then grab at anyone and anything to prevent taking a fall.
This can lead to serious injury for the person that is being grabbed.

VS4ever
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 31):
Well, if you have to go, you have to go.

Very true, especially for the kiddo's on a plane, but this was cutting it just a little fine... I have to say.

I love the stories so far, keep em' coming...
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

fallap

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:09 pm

On my recent flight from KTM to MCT on an Oman Air B738. The flight consisted of roughly 99% Nepali and 1% Caucasians, the Nepali people - friendly and kind as they may be, are clearly not used to the idea of being confined in an aircraft and the common etiquette that follows.

During the ENTIRE four hour long flight, there was a steady line of 5-10 people standing in line for the lavatory, the poor FA's even had to arrange the line as people tried to skip, and they even had to make sure that the passenger had flushed upon exiting the lavatory.

Numerous times, during taxi for take-off as well as to the gate, people would get up and walk for the lavatory.

Who needs IFE when you have such an entertaining clash of cultures?
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

ozark1

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:37 pm

I will never forget a flight on an MD80 from SAT to DFW years ago. I was doing a final cabin check and noticed a seatback was reclined. The gentleman said it was broken, and after testing it, indeed it was. There was an empty seat in the middle and a gentleman on the window. I was able to push the broken seat forward, and asked him to please take the center seat for takeoff and landing. Well, the guy must have really had some homophobic or male to male issues, because he refused. So I am standing there thinking what I needed to do. There were no other open seats. So I told the man I was going to have to call the cockpit, since we were on taxi out, and tell him. I walked away, looked forward, and the man moved to the center seat!

manny

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:49 pm

I usually worry more about people with BO sitting next to me. Stupidity can be resolved by FAs who are always top of their jobs in such situations. But BO person sits next to you for eternity that the flight now seems to have become.

A few months back on a flight from DEN-DFW sat next to a guy who was hurling up on take off and landing. And the flight was full, there were no alternate seats. Was the worst flying experience ever.

csavel

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Quoting SaabFA71 (Reply 28):
Then this guy asks me at the door: "I have a question." I say: "Sure. How can I help you?" He asks: "Why aren't they running the other engine? Are we going to take off with only one engine? I'm really concerned." It took every fiber of my being to keep me from head-butting him and kicking him in the groin. So, I just flat out told him: " Sir!!! Think about it!! If we were running this propeller while we were boarding this aircraft, you and a few other folks here would be chopped into meat and reprocessed as first class entrees".

To be frank, your response was a bit snarky and smug. The guy could've been a first time flyer or a terrified flyer or simply ignorant about procedures. Why couldn't you just say "Sir we do that for safety so nobody accidentally gets hurt. I assure you it'll start up when we board." Instad you had to make him feel like an idiot. Sorry but gotta say it.

Quoting VS4ever (Reply 33):
Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 31):
Well, if you have to go, you have to go.

Very true, especially for the kiddo's on a plane,

And now that I am on the other side of fifty. especially for the old geezers with big prostates.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

HELFAN

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Quoting stratacruiser (Reply 29):

Apparently this type of behaviour is still happening. A couple of weeks ago I flew PVG-SVO on a SU 777. Only a few seconds after we had touched down at SVO and still were on runway a substantial number of passenger - both Chinese looking and European looking jumped off their seats, started opening the overhead bins, grabbed their stuff and started moving forward on the aisles. I'd say that by the time we reached the gate there were at least hundred passengers standing and rushing forward. Luckily the plane made no sudden stops.
The cabin crew announced twice during the taxi that people should remain seated until we reached the gate but it had no effect whatsoever. Also the cabin crew appeared to have no bigger interest to interfere. They looked as if they had gotten used to it.

european742

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

I must admit I do often wonder what part of a seat belt sign and a PA saying stay or remain in your seats with your seat belt fastened is so hard to understand.

The one that gets me is when people get on with loads of hand baggage, OK the airport staff shouldn't have allowed it thru but they say find somewhere to put this. I really want to say no, you decided to bring all that with you, you find somewhere to put it but I cant.

I had one woman who came on with a big bag, think it was only just regulation size but she knew it was on the large side and said, "I know this bag is too big for the overhead lockers so I need it to go in the hold". I said to her "Well it can also go under the seat in front of you", she said "No I don't want to, that will restrict my leg space". I said "Well the baggage loaders have gone now so calling them back to load your bag will delay the flight". She reluctantly went and sat down. She put the bag under the seat in front then moved seats. I made her move back as the captain had already said no one can move cos the aircraft is only just in trim and didn't she kick off! I said "To avoid this in the future, if you have a bag you know is too big, either check it in or don't bring such a big bag".

IPFreely

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 8):
The mom tried to take him to the bathroom but upon being scolded by the FA, she proceeded to let the child pee in a plastic bag. She then put the plastic bag in the seat back pocket and left it there for the cleaners

As long as she didn't dump it on the floor what is the problem? I've done this many times myself.

kurtjeter

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:01 am

Probably not stupid, at least in the sense we usually mean it. Certainly daring, most definitely strange. Half a dozen years ago was flying from Chennai to BRU on Jet Airways. I was on the aisle, a woman (30/'s?) and her 5-6 year old son were next to me. Flight left Chennai around 1:15 a.m., so I slept most of the way, thank God. About a half hour before landing the woman asked me if I spoke English. "Yes." Then she asked, "Can I ask you a favor?" "Go ahead . . . . " When we land in Customs, she said, will you pretend you're my husband?"

Didn't know what this was all about and didn't care to. Certainly didn't want to spend the next years of my life in a Belgium prison!

I saw her talking to a few other passengers once we landed (presumably asking them the same "favor"). Never did see her make it through customs.

Stupid, weird, strange, "alien," . . . take your pick!

offloaded

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 am

Stupid people on planes? Well I managed to board and sit down on an AMS CAI KRT flight instead of the AMS FAO one I shouldv've been on. Do I count? 
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Airstud

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:45 am

the FA yelled "Jesus Christ! Get back in your seat!"

He was on your flight?!!?!??

...And misbehaving?

Pancakes are delicious.

FullFlaps

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:58 am

A few years ago I flew on Condor STR to IBZ, it was an early morning flight, leaving around 6am. Two rows in front of me there was a russian couple aged around 40. During boarding the man allready rang up the flight attendant and asked for beer, but they refused and explained to him that they'll only serve beverages during cruise flight. Well after take off he rang again, but still they gave him no beer. Finaly in cruise he rang again and got his beer. He went for two cans, pretending the other one was for his wife. I remember him hammering down those beers in no time. So he rang up again and got two more. When food was served he went for another refill and for dessert he had another two refills. Not having anything to eat he got a bit clumsy and dropped a can still half filled with beer on the floor. Needless to say the A320 started smelling like some cheap pub. While disembarking in IBZ through the front door he yelled "thank youuuu so very much" a couple of times to the flight attendants and the FO.  Silly

[Edited 2015-08-07 05:05:52]

seat64k

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:00 pm

On a 744 flight from JHB to LHR I got the middle seat between the window and isle. On the window side was a woman who kept pressing the call button and asking for more water/juice/whatever. Not surprisingly, she kept having to get up to go to the loo. Every time she did, she apologised to me and the isle person, mumbling something about a bad bladder. After a few cycles of this, isle person and I offered to move one up so she could sit at the isle. She completely lost it! Ranted something about wanting to steal the window seat.

On the upside, she stopped drinking and the toilet runs dried up too.

infinit

Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:08 pm

I have been fortunate to have never ecountered any anti-social behaviour on my frequent flights but my older sis had a few she told me about when she was a Singapore Airlines FA about 15 years back. I recall one horrible experience she shared with me.

At that time, SQ had a very strange cabin configuration for their 45-minute SIN-KUL shuttles.. Economy and First. They have since changed it to Economy and Business like the rest of their two-class configs.

My sis was only a year into what became a 2 year stint with SQ. SQ has strict rules on only allowing Leading Stewards/Stewardesses and above to serve in First so you won't find blue kebayas or blue ties in First.. except on this short flight.

The First Class cabin was full on this flight and she was helping out. At boarding she was at the door with a Chief Steward. As per procedure passengers were asked to show their BPs as they boarded. One gentleman told my sis he was a frequent flier with SQ, a do-you-know-who-I-am of sorts. The Chief Steward stepped forward to tell him he couldn't board without a boarding pass. He complied but gave my sister dirty looks.

The meal served in First was cold cuts which the crew had to rush to prepare on this short flight. He pressed the attendant call button a few minutes into his meal to complain it was horrible and demanded to be served something else. He continued to scream at my sister who was unfortunate enough to have to attend to him. He told her how stupid she was, how she was doing everything wrong, all in full view of other passengers. The In Flight Supervisor intervened but by this time my sis was holding back her tears, a skinny little 22 year old she was.. He continued to rant and told her he was going to complain and she would get fired.

At this point a gentlemen from the row behind this guy got out of his seat and came over. He passed his namecards over to the In Flight Supervisor and my sister and pointing at him he said that if that man complained, to call him and that he would testify that she did nothing wrong, that that man was either insane or a downtight asshole.

He went silent immediately and spent the rest of that short flight with a frown.

kurtjeter

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Take a look at the "Condor Flight Diverts for pax issue with cat" thread on the civil aviation forum!

[Edited 2015-08-30 09:46:51]

diverted

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:26 pm

I always laugh when on a shortish leg on a Dash/RJ with the galley at the back and lavs at the front. Of course there's the idiot who decides to go to the lav right after the seatbelt sign is off. Sometimes there's a friendly fa who will push the cart back past their row so they can retake their seats, but I always laugh when they don't. You get to sit there watching this person standing in the 1L area, lingering waiting for service to be over. And they miss getting a drink. Priceless

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 am

I've seen all kinds of Law Enforcement personnel ranging from TSA and Houston PD all the way to the FBI meet a flight for someone who was smoking in the lab, all at once!

And of course as an agent I've seen the occasional drunk passenger, pax who thinks a know it all, big bad ass, etc...

But the ones I truly think are stupid are the ones who after you're landed decided to get their bags out of the overhead WHILE STILL TAXIING! That's when I think airlines should run episodes of Air Disasters and the FAs should call the cockpit and give them a good brake check.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.