Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mike89406
Topic Author

Delta Non-Rev Travel Questions

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

I've been working for DGS/DAL Aviation about 3 months and want to use my flight privileges in the next week for my spouse and 15 year old daughter. Since I'm a newb to the industry I have some lingering questions and perhaps any CSA's or ticket agents etc...can answer some of them for me.

That said I won't be traveling with my spouse and daughter. I realize the important etiquette in non-rev and realize it's standby and not guaranteed.

1. They want to fly to fly from SAN-LAX & LAX-SYD. What are the best day(s) of the the week for non-rev travel and time of day to catch a standby flight? And what are the loads like on the LAX-SYD vice verse?

2. What airports/hubs offer the best/worst chance to fly standby?( ie... LAX, SLC, DTW, MSP, JFK etc...) in the event we want to travel to Europe? For example: i was told SLC typically treats non-rev's as S4 priority.

3. If i plan fly to Europe what are my best chances of success? (ie... LHR, CDG, DUB, FCO, AMS etc....)

4. I understand travel cost is free on my benefits, however you may have to pay an entry fee for countries abroad of the USA. Is there a way I can find out different fees my family will need to pay when going to Australia or other countries?

Any suggestions, routing tips would be welcome.

Best regards,

Mike

Mike89406
Topic Author

RE: Delta Non-Rev Travel Questions

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 pm

i was curious when trying to booking my family on Delta Travelnet it says no charge, however I thought they may have to pay Int'l Taxes and fees in some countries.

gocaps16

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:14 pm

It's been over 15 years but when I was in High School, my father used to work for United at Dulles, so I would use his flight benefits during non school days to fly somewhere by myself for a day or for the weekend. NRSA travel would be completely free unless flying ID90 on another carrier. For instance, Virgin Atlantic would charge something like $30 from IAD-LHR. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. United had a telephone line for employees to call to reserve a flight and I would head to the gate and to get on the flight I had to show a photocopy of my father's airline badge at the gate. Now everything is based on computers and employee numbers.

A direct routing to a major city is possible, but not always likely, let's say LAX-LHR. Sometimes, you may have to fly from LAX-JFK and catch a flight from JFK-MAN and take the train to London. That happens to a lot of my airline pilot buddies. One friend last week wanted to fly to Amsterdam from Houston. Instead, he ended up flying to Brussels because the flights to AMS were full and took the train to Amsterdam from Brussels. Very likely if the flight isn't full from LAX-SYD, your wife and daughter will have no problem getting a seat in Delta One class, depending on your seniority though.

copter808

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:32 am

Did you book one-way or round-trip? I know with UA I can fly to most international destinations without paying taxes, but on departure there will be taxes for the flight home. I would think they may be payroll deduct for active employees, otherwise paid in advance. Are you using a Vacation Pass, or a regular pass? That may make a difference too.

Anyway, it's not going to cost you much however it works. Have a great trip and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Be sure to see the Sydney harbor areas and take the ferry to Parramatta if you can. (Don't know what is in Parramatta, but the trip on the ferry is definitely worth the time. There was a thread here earlier about Sydney transportation and what fare card is best. The best parts of Sydney can probably be seen by ferry.

MH017

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
3. If i plan fly to Europe what are my best chances of success? (ie... LHR, CDG, DUB, FCO, AMS etc....)

AMS is DL's hub in Europe (they have about 18 flights a day from all-over the USA to AMS), so guess, this would be your best bet !!!
don't throw away tomorrow !

PGNCS

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:34 am

Mike:

First off, good luck with the nonrevving. I hope they have a great trip. Now for the practical advice: while I can't give you any specifics, I can recommend that you call the pass bureau. Most every airline has one and they are a wealth of knowledge about nonrev travel. Ask them your questions and see if they can give you tips or advice. Also consider talking to a supervisor; they may (or may not) know much about travel privileges, but they may know who does know. I can tell you that international taxes and fees can be surprising and will almost assuredly be the responsibility of the employee (I rarely speak in absolutes, but that's the case for all the airlines I know of.)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Mike89406
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:21 am

I was able to chat with the Travelnet agent and the fees assessed would be coming back SYD-LAX $134 or so. It will be payroll deducted or billed. As for the trip will keep fingers crossed on the likely hood of not getting bumped I'm not sure but I hear it's easier to travel int'l than domestic so the SAN-LAX leg we will see.
My priority is Active employee S3C so it shouldn't be bad btw its booked round trip.

[Edited 2015-08-09 04:23:14]

n757kw

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 am

The good news is you are before the buddy pass folks. The bad news you are after the active Delta employees and retirees. I have seen some pretty long standby lists after the active employees.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

copter808

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Quoting n757kw (Reply 7):
The good news is you are before the buddy pass folks. The bad news you are after the active Delta employees and retirees. I have seen some pretty long standby lists after the active employees.

This is very true. If you NEED to be somewhere at a particular time it's always best to purchase a ticket. But if you don't mind a bit of adventure, do the non-rev travel as other than the uncertainty, it's a great experience!

tb727

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:30 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 8):
But if you don't mind a bit of adventure, do the non-rev travel as other than the uncertainty, it's a great experience!

Go to the airport, pick a random flight you can get on non-rev, go! My parents did that with 3 of us in tow all the time. Crazy but fun! About to do the same thing with my wife for the first time, she has no idea what she is in for! Never did it internationally though, those we always planned ahead of time.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Mike89406
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Between my work schedule and getting them to airport yesterday I wasn't able to update, however I'm happy to say that they made it in to SYD over an hour ago. TBH I was worried that they wouldn't make it on the SAN-LAX leg since it was on a Delta Compass. They we're at the bottom of the standby list with 10-11 check ins. A good chunk of those didn't make that flight for whatever reason.
No problems for LAX-SYD all in all they made both scheduled flights that I booked for them.

bobnwa

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
And what are the loads like on the LAX-SYD vice verse?

If you are with DGS/DAL you should have access to the the loads on Delta via travelnet

reggiet

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 am

PART 1

Current ready reserve 32 hour/month DGS ramper in AUS. Full time firefighter for AFD so we have plenty of time to travel extensively overseas. Some salient points for you:

Best theoretical travel days are:

Tuesdays - Biz travelers arrived at their city on Monday
Saturdays - Same biz travelers have returned home that friday

Sketchy travel days are:

Sundays - All said biz travelers, with some vacationers mixed in, heading off for their destination
Fridays - Same folks are heading home for the weekend

Best Non Rev Travel months are, especially overseas:

Mid Sept to mid November
Early to mid December
January to early March
April to mid May
Reggie in Austin

northwestEWR

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 am

Your best bet as you get familiar with non-rev is to watch the loads for a couple weeks in advance of the flight you want to take. See what the patterns are and you should be able to predict fairly accurately what you can be expecting.

You should also remember a couple things about the time of day. The earliest flight of the day is usually popular with passengers but there is almost always at least one person who sleeps through the alarm clock and misses it. That can be a great thing if you're trying to non-rev. (Sucks having to be on the first flight of the day though)

Quoting Reggiet (Reply 12):
Best theoretical travel days are:

Tuesdays - Biz travelers arrived at their city on Monday

Sketchy travel days are:

Sundays - All said biz travelers, with some vacationers mixed in, heading off for their destination
Fridays - Same folks are heading home for the weekend

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are relatively easy days.

Thursday and Sunday are the busiest days due to extensive business travel. Saturday can be painful because of the reduced Saturday schedules.

Best Non Rev Travel months are, especially overseas:

Mid Sept to mid November
Early to mid December
January to early March
April to mid May

This is pretty spot on--but if you know what you're doing, you can travel year round. I just got back from a trip yesterday during the heavy summer travel season. My 5th this summer with load factors in the upper 80s, low 90s.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need help.

Delta/ATL

[Edited 2015-08-13 21:41:07]
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

Mike89406
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 11):

I do have access to the loads however they only seem to keep 1 day back archived so you pretty much have to check daily and mark the trends.

Thanks

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 13):

I'm learning as I go thankfully my family went both legs without a problem. Due to my work schedule I'm kinda using them as a test to see how it goes before I start using them. DGS has a strict policy of being to work on you're scheduled days/times and calling in because you get stuck somewhere will get the flight benefits suspended or worse in one co workers case was stuck overseas. The company was considering termination and/or revoking the benefits leaving the employee stuck overseas.

We can do shift swaps but I'm still learning the ropes of how the admin stuff works.

They are scheduled to return tonight SYD-LAX & LAX-SAN.

[Edited 2015-08-14 11:03:49]

northwestEWR

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 14):
DGS has a strict policy of being to work on you're scheduled days/times and calling in because you get stuck somewhere will get the flight benefits suspended or worse in one co workers case was stuck overseas. The company was considering termination and/or revoking the benefits leaving the employee stuck overseas.

We can do shift swaps but I'm still learning the ropes of how the admin stuff works.

Those policies aren't unique to DGS. Mainline and most other airlines have similar rules. Normally they'll get the person home and then fire them though.

I believe we get (mainline) one final warning if we call in on travel before being fired. This is probably one of the few ways to get booted from mainline without damaging an airplane or failing a drug test.

Shift swaps work out well and I'm usually able to get the days I need off. Best of luck in your travels!

pu

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:09 am

Saturdays are good domestically, sure.
But Saturdays are a busy day for international/intercontinental travel. If it takes you the better part of a day to get somewhere, both leisure and business fliers tend to do this on a weekend or towards the end of the week. A lot of purely leisure destinations have their busiest flight days on Saturday.

For longhaul international: the best days are Mon/Tue/Wed.

Tue is pretty much a good day for all types of nonrev flying.

Pu.

nwadeicer

Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:30 am

A lot of good advice has been posted here. One thing I will add is, if it's possible, fly to a hub the night before your main flight. The loads for the first flight out are usually pretty low for hubs. Reason being the connection passengers haven't arrived yet. Also, when flying home try the last flight to the hub, this flight is also pretty low on the load factor as most connecting flights have already departed. Set's you up for that first flight in the AM.
I miss the Red Tail

copter808

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:28 am

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 17):
A lot of good advice has been posted here. One thing I will add is, if it's possible, fly to a hub the night before your main flight. The loads for the first flight out are usually pretty low for hubs. Reason being the connection passengers haven't arrived yet. Also, when flying home try the last flight to the hub, this flight is also pretty low on the load factor as most connecting flights have already departed. Set's you up for that first flight in the AM.

AND get used to sleeping in airports!!

northwestEWR

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 18):

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 17):

AND get used to sleeping in airports!!

Or consider purchasing a SkyClub membership. That's easily paid for itself every year I've had it.