Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Birdwatching
Topic Author

My Own "Moving Map" Independent From The Avod

Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:05 pm

In several recent threads, including the one about the new Delta A320 cabin and inflight entertainment product, I see several people complaining about the moving map missing from the streaming AVOD on some airlines.

I really can't understand this complaint. I really love the moving map (sometimes watch it for hours during a long flight), but the map on the phone works just as well. On my android phone, about 10 seconds after opening Google Maps I see the blue dot appear on the map. If the plane has no WiFi, I simply pre-load the area around the flight route before the flight. This gives me a much more accurate moving map than the one built into the AVOD, here I can zoom in and out as I wish, down to the small islands and towns below the plane. And if I want the airspeed / altitude / heading, I just open a second app named GPS Test, and within seconds it shows me all of those things.

Am I the only one doing this?

Soren   

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

lawair

RE: My Own "Moving Map" Independent From The Avod

Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:23 pm

You're not alone in this. I used to use the Maverick app pretty frequently for domestic flights. It worked well for recording tracks and displaying a lot of data I might be interested in, like altitude, speed, distance and time to destination, etc. Lately it's been buggy for me for some reason. Maybe someone here has better suggestions.

With the Android phones I've used I do notice that I need a window seat to reliably get a gps fix. Once I have one, my phone logs the location and I can view the full track later on my google map location history.

KFLLCFII

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 pm

I usually just pull out my Garmin handheld GPS and follow along...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

kann123air

Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:21 pm

It doesn't work all the time, though. Over land, I'd say it works about 50% of the time on my AT&T iPhone 6.

Amrit
Going for great

petera380

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 2):

You do understand that is illegal!!

werdywerd

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:24 pm

I recently found out that even while in Airplane mode, my Iphone's GPS chip stays active. I've flown thousands of miles over land and water and get very accurate locations with Google Maps + the Iphone GPS while holding it up to the window. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to triangulate the signal, but works well.
P.S. without a wifi signal google maps will not be very detailed as you zoom in, but if you don't mind a zoomed out view in google maps to see where you are, then it works just fine.

KFLLCFII

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:47 pm

Quoting petera380 (Reply 4):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

No, it's not.

It's a passive device that transmits nothing.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

DiscoverCSG

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:53 pm

I do this, too, with Google Maps on my Android smartphone.

It bugs me when the moving map cuts out during descent, which is when the routing is most interesting, and tells you what runway you'll be landing on.

Viscount724

Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting petera380 (Reply 4):
Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 2):

Not correct. Many airlines permit use of GPS receivers. For example, DL rules here:
http://content.delta.com/content/www...p/personal-electronic-devices.html

Excerpt. Note 9th bullet point:

You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:

AM/FM or satellite radios
• digital and video cameras
• calculators
• Delta-installed equipment such as in-flight entertainment systems
• DVD players*
• e-readers
• electric shavers
• electronic/digital watches
• global positioning system (GPS) receivers
• handheld computer games
• headphones
• laptop computers*
• medical devices**
• noise reduction headphones
• portable media players*
• pagers
• smartphones and any device with cellular network service must be turned off or in airplane mode
• tablets and wireless keyboards or mouse[/]

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:32 am

I like to use ForeFlight. Mostly because I think it's funny to see a groundspeed of 450kts when I'm used to seeing about 110kts. Probably the most accurate one out there too.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

CrimsonNL

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:45 am

I do that sometimes too, great way of flight tracking. I also got a third party GPS application on my phone so I can see the altitude and ground speed!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

copter808

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 3):
It doesn't work all the time, though. Over land, I'd say it works about 50% of the time on my AT&T iPhone 6.
Quoting werdywerd (Reply 5):
I recently found out that even while in Airplane mode, my Iphone's GPS chip stays active. I've flown thousands of miles over land and water and get very accurate locations with Google Maps + the Iphone GPS while holding it up to the window. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to triangulate the signal, but works well.
P.S. without a wifi signal google maps will not be very detailed as you zoom in, but if you don't mind a zoomed out view in google maps to see where you are, then it works just fine.

Seems to be a relatively recent change to the iPhone software. Used to not work unless it was in the non-airplane mode. Now the GPS works even IN the airplane mode! One just has to find the right seating position though.

Loran

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 pm

I use 'FlyoverGPS', it uses Google Maps Terrain as a base and displays the heading, speed and altitude. You can cache the map along the route at various levels of detail while being in wifi prior to the flight. The only disadvantage is it doesn't auto-update the position, you need to hit a button occasionally to do so (I guess to prevent battery drainage when you don't look at your phone).

Another one I use frequently is 'maps.me', its an offline map based on Open Street Maps. You download the country you travel to separately (ideally prior to departing), prevents you from roaming hassles or being dependant on wifi at the destination. So I can alway check if a taxi driver anywhere in the world takes the correct route to my hotel   A great travel app not only for flying.

Regards,
Loran
703 717 727 732-9 747 757 767 777 787 AB2/6 310 318-321 330 340 359 380 D8M D91/3/5 D1C M11 M81-90 L10 IL1/8/6/7/W/9/4 TU3/5/2 YK4/2

flightmedic72

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:51 am

I use the "avimapsgps" application on my iPad. Flight information is displayed on an aviation sectional chart as well as altitude and heading. You can also load routing information to get accurate ETA's, enroute avation weather (with an Internet connection) as well as wx radar overlays.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:10 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
If the plane has no WiFi, I simply pre-load the area around the flight route before the flight.

How is this done?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
How is this done?

Pretty simple, before the flight you load the areas you're interested in, so the map data is cached for offline use later. You have to keep in mind that the zoom level is important too, so you could load a broad overview of the areas you're going to fly over in cruise, but load the areas around the destination airport in greater detail at street level. Kind of like on my screenshots above.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

OO-VEG

Re: My Own

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 am

I only seem to get a signal when sitting next to a window, but I am definately following flights on the phone

novak500

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 pm

I'm glad I saw this thread. I tried it out walking around Lisbon today and it worked. I will try it again on my LIS-YYZ flight tomorrow as I'm on AC Rouge and there is no map.

vhtje

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:19 am

I use the PlaneFinder app on my iPad, but this obviously requires the use of WiFi. Flying domestically in the US, this is usually not a problem. The advantage of PlaneFinder is that it uses the native Apple Map (or you can swap it to Google if you prefer) so you can really zoom in to identify terrain and landmarks below.

The other nice thing about it is that it allows me to identify traffic that is nearby and/or approaching. When aircraft pass in opposite directions, they really zoom past, so the advance warning that something is coming towards us 1,000 feet below as a boon as it allows me to keep an eye out for them.

I think I have turned a couple of fellow passengers into aircraft anoraks when, after seeing what I was doing and asking me about the app, their interest has been sparked.

The disadvantages of the app are that it is a minute or two behind the live action. And sometimes the aircraft on which I am travelling disappears for large amounts of time. The filters can be faulty too.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

QF29

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 am

I use my phone if there is no moving map on the AVOD. What I don't get is how some people stare at the moving map for hours on end! I'd be bored out of my mind!!
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B717 B737-4/6/7/8/9 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8/9, Q-400 C172S, PA-28, Super Decathlon