Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BestWestern
Topic Author

What Has Happened To Amsterdam Airport?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 am

I transited through Amsterdam airport for the first time in about a year yesterday. What was once a pleasurable experience has become a nightmare.

I understand that a major renovation is ongoing at present, but the quality of construction is poor - vast parts of the terminal arrival process are now segregated into what feels like portacabin corridors with poor lighting and no facilities - nor seats to arrange yourself and baggage before you hit security.

The bars and restaurants last night were totally overpriced and disgustingly dirty - with food trays everywhere and a floor that looked like it wasn't cleaned since the morning - as were the seating areas in the D Pier - large collections of Dust on the floor.

What was once a pleasurable transit environment is now the opposite - I flew from Manila (T1) last month and the experience was far superior from a passenger perspective - bright clean and airy.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

frigatebird

RE: What Has Happened To Amsterdam Airport?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 am

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
I transited through Amsterdam airport for the first time in about a year yesterday. What was once a pleasurable experience has become a nightmare.

I agree. I used to like travelling through AMS, always felt nice and comfortable - but since major construction started last year it felt more like NBO!   

The bars and restaurants last night were totally overpriced

Unfortunately, they are overpriced as long as I can remember  
disgustingly dirty - with food trays everywhere and a floor that looked like it wasn't cleaned since the morning - as were the seating areas in the D Pier - large collections of Dust on the floor.

Well, with major construction there will always some more dust etc. But inadequate cleaning of restaurants, toilets etc is inexcusable, certainly for an expensive airport like AMS (for both passengers and airlines)    . Nowadays companies working for AMS are selected on one catagory only: who is the cheapest. I cannot understand the people at AMS don't realise it will only cost money bottom line because you're scaring away customers.

On a positive note: Central security is now in place and works quite well. This is such an improvement over the horrible security at the gates, one of the most stupid things ever conceived at AMS. But that's gone now, fortunately   

Here is an overview of all construction work at AMS:
http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/At...pholConstructsConvertsConnects.htm
The new Departures won't be ready until the end of this year, which is really taking a lot of time    For once, I'm glad I'm not flying again this year.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70

enilria

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 am

I agree. I've been through there during the construction and it's a horrible mess. It's also been going on forever it seems like. Must be over a year.

AWACSooner

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Quoting frigatebird (Reply 1):
This is such an improvement over the horrible security at the gates, one of the most stupid things ever conceived at AMS.

Part of the stupidity also lies with the fact you can't even SIT at the gate until it's almost boarding time, because it's partitioned behind where they scan your boarding pass. That happened to me in May when I flew AMS-CPH.

n515cr

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 pm

On a positive note: Central security is now in place and works quite well. This is such an improvement over the horrible security at the gates, one of the most stupid things ever conceived at AMS. But that's gone now, fortunately   
Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 3):
Part of the stupidity also lies with the fact you can't even SIT at the gate until it's almost boarding time, because it's partitioned behind where they scan your boarding pass. That happened to me in May when I flew AMS-CPH.

Almost got caught out by this in January (I didn't know this setup existed and stayed in the lounge closer to departure time like I normally would)...glad they're revising the format.   

winterlight

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Are large chunks of the viewing terrace still closed off?
Question everything. Trust no-one.

BlueShamu330s

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:45 pm

What was once a pleasurable experience has become a nightmare.

Did you try finding the lounge..? Go up, go down, hop on one leg, spin around, pat your head, then go up and go down, turn left, go left again, then you should find yourself back where you started...   
Flying around India

Sightseer

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:51 pm

Central security is now in place and works quite well. This is such an improvement over the horrible security at the gates
Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 3):
Part of the stupidity also lies with the fact you can't even SIT at the gate until it's almost boarding time,

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't really minded this setup at other airports where I've seen it (SIN, KUL). You could go straight to the gate and at least sit close by without immediately having to worry about clearing security. That said, it is somewhat annoying having to resettle afterwards in the gate area.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 6):
Did you try finding the lounge..? Go up, go down, hop on one leg, spin around, pat your head, then go up and go down, turn left, go left again, then you should find yourself back where you started...   

Never found the Lounge - so walked half way down the D gate concourse and into the harvest cafe - where I walked out because of the dirt of the cafe.

Central security was open and efficient, but there is nowhere to orientate yourself before going in.

BoeingGuy

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:36 pm

I never understood the big preference for connecting in AMS over CDG. AMS was okay, but I never thought CDG was that bad either.

BritishB747

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting winterlight (Reply 5):

I believe so. I was transiting through AMS on my way from Edinburgh to London (wanted to go on the Garuda 77W) and had an afternoon/evening on the terrace. It was only the stretch in line with the F100 that was open, nothing further round.

I actually got some very nice photos from inside the terminal this time. Now that all the at gate security has been removed you can get right up to the windows and there are a few got spots where you can get up close to the aircraft taxiing past.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3

lugie

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting winterlight (Reply 5):

I don't think so, I've been to AMS recently and everything on the terrace seemed open, behind the fences there were only areas that most definitely are not suited as viewing terraces.

On a positive note: Central security is now in place and works quite well.

The security checkpoint setup is the most futuristic I've ever seen. Superb bright and airy feeling, also efficiently working.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

goldorak

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 9):
AMS was okay, but I never thought CDG was that bad either

you obviously haven't been at CDG for a while...

georgiaame

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:55 pm

I haven't fully enjoyed AMS in years, but in all fairness to the construction and mess, I do believe there is now a house of ill repute at the airport to shall we say, make your stay a bit more pleasant. Still the shops are nice, great place to pick up fresh cheeses. Very nice KLM lounges. For those flying into airports with ghastly customs lines, pick up some freshly cut tulips and bring them with you. They can be brought into the States, but once declared, the agricultural inspector will come rushing out to make sure you aren't bringing in plague. They tend to speed things up dramatically (little secret I learned from my NY days). And once KLM starts flying their 789s into ATL from AMS, the hell with the mess, I'm flying with them.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

traindoc

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 pm

It has become a glorified third world airport. Amazingly Swissport does a lot of check in for airlines like UA. But it's not the same people who run ZRH. They cannot even give you directions to the business class lounge! Fortunately, the staff at the KLM lounge will help you find it, because if you don't know where it is you cannot find it! Hopefully I won't be going back to AMS for a long time.

ozzietukker

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Quoting lugie (Reply 11):
I don't think so, I've been to AMS recently and everything on the terrace seemed open, behind the fences there were only areas that most definitely are not suited as viewing terraces.

Until the beginning 2016 parts of the Panorame terrace will be closed, but it will be reopened, although there are some extra buildings now where before there was an open area, but there will be some open area left.

northwestEWR

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:31 pm

I was there about six weeks ago and while there was a lot of scaffolding, plywood and obvious construction ongoing, I didn't see anything that was abnormally dirty. Agreed on the lack of way-finding signs, it took me 30 minutes to find the KLM lounge the first time I went looking for it. I walked forever.

I still prefer Amsterdam to other European gateways but it's time to finish the construction. It feels like Newark which was under major construction for the better part of a decade.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

readytotaxi

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 16):
It feels like Newark which was under major construction for the better part of a decade.

Yeah, that was a mess,ugh!
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

B4REAL

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Quoting goldorak (Reply 12):

CDG is actually totally fine going from say North America to a non-Schengen zone. (I travel to Russia a lot)

CDG within Europe (Schengen countries) or to/from Schengen is not pleasant.

AMS however is rough right now. When will it be done?
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

flybynight

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 pm

I still the CPH is one of the best airports to connect through. Smaller yet good amenities.
Heia Norge!

spl

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Major construction work for the two big projects: central security and upgrading the central lounge 2 are supposed to be finished the end of this year. Specially lounge 2 and the part between gates E and F (Holland Boulevard) still has to be finished/done. Next week we will see a big building change. The old part of lounge 2 will be closed and the new all ready renovated part will be opened for public. Also lots of small projects need to be done. Like rebuilding all individual gates. All security material is now gone, but all the walls needs to go down etc.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Why do the arrivals walkways feel like bolted together portacabins on top of the terminal? Is this a permanent fixture?

Viscount724

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:42 pm

I never understood the big preference for connecting in AMS over CDG. AMS was okay, but I never thought CDG was that bad either.

AMS is much better than CDG. I never connect at CDG unless the fare is significantly lower than via AMS. I connect at AMS on KL about once a month (including yesterday GVA-AMS-BRU) and much prefer it to any other connecting option. Almost all my connections are within Schengen so I guess the current construction project hasn’t affected me. You have to expect disruption during a major construction project.

In my experience CDG is also more prone to strikes, whether airline, airport or French air traffic control workers. I can’t recall AMS ever being affected by a strike.

Gasman

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 pm

CDG is a haphazard poorly integrated mess. And the main terminal with its spiraling concourse must've looked good to the architects, but it's a menace. I'd take AMS over CDG any day, even as it currently is (I was there 2 months ago).

fiddlerkrt

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Quoting BritishB747 (Reply 10):
I actually got some very nice photos from inside the terminal this time. Now that all the at gate security has been removed you can get right up to the windows and there are a few got spots where you can get up close to the aircraft taxiing past.

Indeed you are right! I was departing from the very tip of the D concourse traveling BA to LGW and the runway views were superb as I could see aircraft queueing up and taking off from Kaagbaan.

The security checkpoint setup is the most futuristic I've ever seen. Superb bright and airy feeling, also efficiently working.

I was extremely impressed by the security facility at AMS plus the staff were incredibly friendly and professional. Such a contrast to the TSA on the east coast (west coast TSA staff are much friendlier IMO) and the staff at LHR who are downright rude at times.

That being said, the walk to the gate was long! I would guess it was roughly 1km and there were few moving walkways to speak of so I was thankful to have checked my bag.

Quoting goldorak (Reply 12):

I lived in Paris for a year and used CDG a fair number of times normally for departures. The experience there has depended on which airline I'm flying. When flying U2, BA, or LH it's been fine but when flying AA or AF, it's an absolute nightmare and connecting there is even worse.

YYZAMS

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:01 am

I flew out of AMS 2 days ago and security was fast and efficient. 2 minutes max for afternoon flight to NA. There is a lot of construction going on. Things can't just happen overnight. Most people commenting/complaining about gate security on here still don't know that it is gone. It was nice to sit by my gate and wait or get up and walk the terminal . There are signs throughout the terminal saying they are still getting everything in order. Check out Schiphol on youtube and you will see all the updates they are doing.

I understand that a major renovation is ongoing at present, but the quality of construction is poor - vast parts of the terminal arrival process are now segregated into what feels like portacabin corridors with poor lighting and no facilities - nor seats to arrange yourself and baggage before you hit security.

I don't understand this comment. First you say you understand about the renovations but I don't think you really do. What do you mean about the "quality of construction"?

and "nor seats to arrange yourself and baggage before you hit security" ????? Are you sure you aren't just trolling? Security first, then you are free to go anywhere in the terminal. Did you really go to AMS?

spl

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 21):

I don't understand what you mean here? We have temporary portocabins on the roof, this is the way to airline lounge 40 and 41. Also we have a corridor from the F-gates to the main security filter on the Holland Boulevard 2nd floor, this is also temporary. On every gates (E-F-G) we have built a second floor for arriving passengers, this is brand new and even doesn't look like portocabins. Strange comments....

[Edited 2015-08-13 20:15:46]

[Edited 2015-08-13 20:16:57]

continental004

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:23 am

it felt more like NBO!   

Your first world privilege is showing and it needs to be checked.

frigatebird

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:30 am

Quoting continental004 (Reply 27):
it felt more like NBO!   

By no means. I've been to many African countries and it's my favorite continent to visit. But have you been to NBO? It is cramped and feels uncomfortable, you want to leave as soon as possible. Same experience when you pass security at AMS now.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70

RJ321

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 am

For once, I'm glad I'm not flying again this year.

Never let stuff like that get into your love of aviation  . Lucky for you, you have alternative airports near by (Rotterdam and Eidenhoven). Many cities do not have alternative airports that are fit for commercial use..

factsonly

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting frigatebird (Reply 28):
It is cramped and feels uncomfortable, you want to leave as soon as possible. Same experience when you pass security at AMS now.
Quoting fiddlerkrt (Reply 24):
I was extremely impressed by the security facility at AMS plus the staff were incredibly friendly and professional.

Something doesn't add up here!

sassiciai

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 am

Quoting YYZAMS (Reply 25):
and "nor seats to arrange yourself and baggage before you hit security" ????? Are you sure you aren't just trolling? Security first, then you are free to go anywhere in the terminal. Did you really go to AMS?

As I understood the original poster's meaning, this is where I will, for example, transfer all my "metal" on my person (watch, phone, coins, pen, .......) into my hand luggage, make sure my laptop is easily available, get out my prepared transparent bags on any 100ml liquids I'm carrying, and such like, so avoid doing it all later at the checkpoint. Made eminent sense to me

Maybe you dont go through security very often at a wide variety of airports

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:22 am

Why all the vitriolic hating?

Quoting spl (Reply 26):

I don't understand what you mean here? We have temporary portocabins on the roof, this is the way to airline lounge 40 and 41. Also we have a corridor from the F-gates to the main security filter on the Holland Boulevard 2nd floor, this is also temporary. On every gates (E-F-G) we have built a second floor for arriving passengers, this is brand new and even doesn't look like portocabins. Strange comments....

How is it strange when I arrived in F into a portacabin - with nothing to say it was temporary - so I'm happy to hear it is.

Quoting YYZAMS (Reply 25):

Did I really go to Amsterdam? Seriously????

Try getting off a 12 hour day flight with 17month old twins and walking straight into a security queue without having to sit and rearrange bottles and electronics into bags, etc. Even Heathrow is better than this. Even Manila is better than this.

The security area is lovely - but immediately before and after is a total mess.

The dirt of the dining areas and seating areas is nothing to do with construction - just badly managed airport operations.

And why does Amsterdam number their business Lounges rather than use airline or lounge names. As an AFKL platinum for life pax I still have no idea what Lounge 42 means. It's bizarre and makes no sense.

Rara

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:35 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 23):
CDG is a haphazard poorly integrated mess. And the main terminal with its spiraling concourse must've looked good to the architects, but it's a menace. I'd take AMS over CDG any day, even as it currently is (I was there 2 months ago).

CDG is fine as long as you don't leave Terminal 2 - which you usually don't, if you connect on AF.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

frigatebird

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 30):
Quoting frigatebird (Reply 28):It is cramped and feels uncomfortable, you want to leave as soon as possible. Same experience when you pass security at AMS now. Quoting fiddlerkrt (Reply 24):I was extremely impressed by the security facility at AMS plus the staff were incredibly friendly and professional. Quoting lugie (Reply 11):The security checkpoint setup is the most futuristic I've ever seen. Superb bright and airy feeling, also efficiently working.

Sorry, I see now I haven't worded myself the right way. The poor experience at AMS was past security (when you hit the currently rather shabby shopping area). Passing security itself at AMS now is indeed extremely well set up, smartly thought out   

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 29):
For once, I'm glad I'm not flying again this year.

Never let stuff like that get into your love of aviation . Lucky for you, you have alternative airports near by (Rotterdam and Eidenhoven). Many cities do not have alternative airports that are fit for commercial use..

You are absolutely right of course   And spotting is still fantastic here at AMS. A couple of months ago I was with my wife passing by one of the major spotting areas, and she didn't mind stopping by. She was amazed to see so many people there, and even two mobile snack units   Fantastic to see so many airlines and aircraft types here still, I'm lucky    Also very glad to see so many KL planes with their beautiful livery.

[Edited 2015-08-14 01:04:15]

Vos

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 am

Quoting factsonly (Reply 30):

This is just a thread where everyone adds his/her personal experience; completely subjective, nice to read though!

For the first time in six months I transferred through AMS last week (all Schengen area: B and C Piers). It was so smooth...and clean. Prices are high, yes, but here at MUC (e.g.) I see no difference (behind security control).

TomFoolery

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:37 am

I fly regularly with AF and partners, and a few years ago, when AF moved their operations to 2E/2F, I thought this was a vast improvement. It would be nice if there were more places airside to eat, but it works much better than connecting between 2D and 2E. It does get rather crowded in the piers (2E), and that really detracts from the user experience.

Quoting gasman (Reply 23):

I was not aware that there was a main terminal at CDG. If you are referring to T1, it is a bit old. I find T1 fascinating, considering when it was built (late 60s-mid 70's). It must have been amazing back in the 70's with the tubes crisscrossing above the main floor. It was fantastic modern architecture for it's time. Sadly, times have changed, and the years have taken their toll on the place. Higher volumes of passengers, and limited options to improve flow make the place a bit undesirable at peak times of the day.

It is amazing how many passengers pass through AMS on a daily basis, and this really becomes obvious when the space is reduced, seating areas are taken out of service, and fewer toilets are available. I notice the crows, especially in the summer travel season. I have noticed that the toilets get a bit dirty more often than before, and the lounges are the worst. It will get better once the construction is cleared, but that wont be for a few years.

On the other hand, MUC is a great airport to travel through.

Tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

RJ321

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:49 am

Quoting TomFoolery (Reply 36):
considering when it was built (late 60s-mid 70's).

I was really surprised to see the condition of CDG when I traveled to Paris (I did not really feel like I'm in Europe), it was so old and not a lot of options to eat, especially in the schenegen * Alliance terminal !!
I just love FRA, transiting there isn't really hard and a lot of options to eat and such -even in the schenegen terminal !!- I would take FRA anytime over CDG, it's even on of my favorite airports

[Edited 2015-08-14 03:50:35]

breiz

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:32 pm

The way we react to airport lay-outs and organizations is primerly subjective (hence love and hate about same airports).

Factually, AMS has been a bit less enjoyable due to the on-going re-built. But I think that it is as efficient as before.
Of course the more you use an airport, the better you know where to go and moreover, how long it will take to go from A to B.
Food does not really bother me since I usually buy a sandwich on the go if needed.

Factually again, CDG is very well labelled for directions (one has to read them and follow them, a bit like complaining about an appliance difficult to use without reading the user manual).
However, it is now a quite large airport with several terminals. You need good time to avoid sweating. Commuting from AF (2F) to Hop (2G) and vice-versa is a scary experience if you are in a hurry.
If you end up in terminal 1, you can be excused to think that it is old. It is. That it is made as a ring ensures that you always come back where you started if you miss your gate.
If you end up in terminal 2G, you can be excused to think that you are in some un-finished countryside terminal.
But the other terminals are brand new to almost brand new, and cannot be shamed.

Talking of old and unpractical, I would single out FRA and LHR, but that's my personnal view.
MUC can provide you with quite some walking exercise.
MAD can be confusing, but, hey, again read the signs.
BCN is quite good as is GVA.
The old BRU was...interesting. I am not up to the latest improvements.

lesfalls

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting flybynight (Reply 19):

Totally agree with you on that. CPH is really nicley done and quite modern. OSL though i find the best for transfers in europe.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

RJ321

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Quoting breiz (Reply 38):
Talking of old and unpractical, I would single out FRA and LHR

Really ? Despite being my first transit flight (operated by LH via FRA) I found the airport a breeze to transit through. What makes it unpractical in your opinion ? Can't say anything about LHR, never been there and never transited through it. But some family members said that despite a lot of walking, it is easy to transit through the airport (LHR) granted that you follow the signs and instructions -just like transiting at any airport really-.

breiz

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Quoting RJ321 (Reply 40):
What makes it unpractical in your opinion ?

Loooong walk if you arrive at one end of Terminal 1 and depart from the other end of Terminal 2.
Quite similar to other airport really but with the difference that 1 and 2 are regarded as one continuous building with obligatory change of level between them in narrow stairs and crowdy lifts.
And the smoking "boxes" placed all along provide an unplaisant atmosphere.
But again, it's a matter of personal opinion.

AWACSooner

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 39):
OSL though i find the best for transfers in europe.

I don't...it's complete crap that I have to be re-screened like LHR just to go Schengen to Schengen...solely because Norway isn't an EU country.

anstar

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 13):
Very nice KLM lounges.

I think thats the first time I have ever seen anyone say the KL lounges are very nice!

In comparison to other EU carriers home lounges they are pretty sub standard (except for say AZ)

Gasman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 43):
I think thats the first time I have ever seen anyone say the KL lounges are very nice!

I've not experienced any other EU carrier's home lounges, so perhaps I can't comment. However I have experienced SQs F and J lounges, TG F&J, EK F&J, as well as QF, NZ, UA and probably some others I can't think of. I think the food & beverage options in KLMs AMS lounges were inferior to any of the others I've just mentioned. However the lounge "ambience", seat comfort, space, quietness, cleanliness and service at the AMS KLM lounges however is definitely amongst the best. So putting it all together, I feel it's not unjustified to call KLM's AMS lounges "very nice".

Quoting TomFoolery (Reply 36):
I was not aware that there was a main terminal at CDG. If you are referring to T1, it is a bit old. I find T1 fascinating, considering when it was built (late 60s-mid 70's). It must have been amazing back in the 70's with the tubes crisscrossing above the main floor. It was fantastic modern architecture for it's time. Sadly, times have changed, and the years have taken their toll on the place. Higher volumes of passengers, and limited options to improve flow make the place a bit undesirable at peak times of the day.

My apologies, I did mean terminal 1. My one and only significant experience with CDG involved this terminal flying TG, and it was a shambles. Many times worse than the last of my many experiences at AMS this June.

PEK777

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 am

Quoting continental004 (Reply 27):

Your smug liberal attitude appears to be showing...

Give the guy a break, he probably forgot saying anything remotely critical, even if completely objective about Africa is raaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

continental004

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:31 am

Quoting frigatebird (Reply 28):
   By no means. I've been to many African countries and it's my favorite continent to visit. But have you been to NBO? It is cramped and feels uncomfortable, you want to leave as soon as possible. Same experience when you pass security at AMS now.

I have never been to NBO, nor have I ever been to Africa (yet). While Africa is your favorite continent to visit, your implication of NBO as an inferior airport appears to the eyes of those who do not know your travel preferences as "This first world airport is now at the inferior level of an airport in a third world country." This is where checking your privilege comes into play.

Quoting pek777 (Reply 45):
Your smug liberal attitude appears to be showing...

Give the guy a break, he probably forgot saying anything remotely critical, even if completely objective about Africa is raaaaaaaaaaaaacist.

LOL. I said he needed to check his first world privilege, NOT his "white privilege." Just because he is Dutch does not necessarily mean he is white - he could be black, as African as a Kenyan.

It is you who is making this racial by saying that anything said criticizing Africa is racist.

imatams

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:26 am

First of all: Yes, AMS is a bit of a mess now, but that is what you get if you do a very substantial rebuild of an airport that has to remain fully operational throughout the process.

Central Security: Is now operational. Arrival floors have been added to seperate non-secure passengers at piers E, F and G. (all non EU or US flights) New very efficient and modern security checkpoints have been built in Departures 2 and 3, on level 2.
The Holland Boulevard between E and F has been widened to accomodate the central transit security checkpoint for arrivals from E and F. This checkpoint is operational, although with a temorary layout, the new-look securtiy lanes will be installed in the next few months.
the connection between F-arrivals and the transit security is now via a temporary elevated walkway over the EF apron (these are likely the "portacabins"mentioned above) This is due to the KLM lounge at F having to be repositioned to accomodate the devititve route.
The widened Holland boulevard on level 1 is still walled of and being finished.

The change to central security means that the gate enclosures on E, F and G are no longer required and they have been partially opened up. Gate desks have been moved/replaced for the new open-gate boarding process. Early next year the second phase of the gate revamp process starts and the gates will be completely opened up and refurnished to a modern standard.
D-gates will still keep their encolure because they are swing gates, with level 2 access from the Shengen area.

Lounge 2 bebuild: Still very much ongoing, and with serious delays. Should, I think, have pretty much finished. Setbacks included a discovery of asbesthos wich stopped work, a serious accident with a worker, and general lack of progress. On Monday a first section will open and some shops in the row of temporary, ugly boxes will move to their new, final location. Work will still continue for sme time, but the end result will be a very nice departures lounge indeed, if the renders are to be believed.

All in all, I really think it will be very much improved compared to what it was,and a much better passenger experience because of the central security, but the full effect won't be visible until later this year and the first part of next year.

As to being overpriced.. It definitely is! But then it has always been, and I can't easily recall an airport anywhere that isn't....

IM

factsonly

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:37 am

Quoting imatams (Reply 47):
As to being overpriced.. It definitely is! But then it has always been, and I can't easily recall an airport anywhere that isn't....

You must be referring to the Duty Free and other shops, as ............

AMS has significantly reduced airport charges in 2014 and 2015,......

......and just announced further cuts in airport charges for 2016.

Androol

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Cannot wait until it is completed. I regularly fly to China (CTU) and KLM has the best connection/route for me - a little better than SK through PEK. But AMS is such a mess right now.