Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seatback
Topic Author

Delta's Gate Snack Carts...just To Say "thanks"

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Yesterday while travelling MSP>CVG, the gate agents rolled a cart full of snacks. Initially, I was worried that this may signal
a delay, but instead they said they "just appreciated that we chose to fly Delta".

I thought this was a really nice gesture and wondered if this is a system-wide practice or does it only occur sporatically in
MSP?

Can you imagine AA and UA doing this?

COSPN

RE: Delta's Gate Snack Carts...just To Say "thanks

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Not UA .... Never happen

panamair

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting seatback (Thread starter):
I thought this was a really nice gesture and wondered if this is a system-wide practice or does it only occur sporatically in
MSP?

Not just at MSP, have seen this at some other stations (e.g., JFK) for non-delayed flights. A Delta agent told me once it was for certain flights that may have lower customer service scores ( I believe they get those from the post-flight surveys they send out to pax)

Initially, I was worried that this may signal
a delay,

Just having those snack and drink carts out for delays is already way more than what one would get on UA or AA during similar situations. I have been on a delayed flight out of JFK due to a mechanical (at least 1-2 hour delay) where they even brought in sandwiches from the nearby concessions for the pax (in addition to the snacks and water/soda).

Italianflyer

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Proactively showing good will towards customers....what a concept!

aloha73g

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Last year Delta had an employee handing out chocolate cookies from a cart in baggage claim in Seattle...I was impressed.

The only time I've seen the snack carts was for a delayed flight at SFO and it seemed to go over very well with everyone.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

American 767

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Or even AS, B6 and WN: three airlines much appreciated by many passengers.

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 3):
Proactively showing good will towards customers....what a concept!

It's a concept that other airline should learn, by following the example: Delta.

But American sometimes also gives food for free in delay situations as the following example shows:

Three years ago, I was flying EWR-DFW-SAN on American. The EWR-DFW flight was on time and uneventful. The DFW-SAN flight was overbook and at the very last minute before closing the doors, the agent came to me and asked me if I still wanted to volunteer, I said yes without hesitating. I was put on an other flight that would leave two hours later, not only I received a $300 voucher to be used on future AA flights, I received also a voucher to eat something for free at DFW. It doesn't always happen, but it does sometimes.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:42 pm

United hates its customers they would never do this, it would loose them a few onboard snack sales   you usually need to beg UA for a meal voucher on a long delay

JoeCanuck

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

What an amazing concept...treat you customers like human beings and the smallest courtesy will be rewarded.

That acts like this are so rare they deserve their own thread is a bit telling.
What the...?

MSPNWA

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:10 pm

I've seen them here and there. I recently encountered a cart with small Dasani water bottles at the baggage claim at CLT. I imagine they rolled out the cart because the bags were late.

In general I imagine it's a cost-saving measure. It's a nice touch when you get it, but it's also cheaper than meal vouchers, for example. Companies aren't making enhancements out of the goodness of their hearts. There's a business case behind it.

hiflyeras

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Nice gesture! I always wondered why they don't have mobile snack carts in the US selling food and drink at the gates like I've seen in Europe.

thekorean

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 7):

LCC really lowered everyone's standard.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 8):
Companies aren't making enhancements out of the goodness of their hearts. There's a business case behind it.

Knowing Delta that's 100% true. There may have been a large number of passengers bumped off the earlier flight or something we don't know. I am sure there was a reason for this cart roll.

flyinggoat

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:58 pm

I was on a couple of Delta flights on Veteran's Day, and they offered chocolate truffles at the gate and during the flight. I thought that was a pretty nice gesture.

[Edited 2015-08-22 12:59:15]

northwestEWR

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:02 pm

It's the end of the Summer schedule and for all the airport employees, that's a big deal and it's being celebrated across the system. Using the remainder of the summer snack stocks before being replenished is part of the deal. It's not just in SFO.

Delta had a record breaking summer and the employees are celebrating by offering even better service to the passengers. That seems to be a unique concept these days.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

dmg626

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Last week in Boise due to a dust storm several flights were delayed for hours. Delta ordered pizzas for their passengers, that was a nice gesture. Southwest gave $200 travel vouchers, Delta passengers were laughing and saying we'll buy our own pizza if we get a voucher like that. It was good pr for both

canyonblue17

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Quoting American 767 (Reply 5):
Or even AS, B6 and WN

We do this at WN - it's known as a LUV Cart.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

delta88

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Well i flew on Delta Shuttle out of BOS last month while flying to LGA, and being the last shuttle flight of the morning, they offered free bagels and drinks from the morning to all of us on board the aircraft and those at the Shuttle gates. This is the first time ive seen anything of this sort, recently. The most of anything similar to this i got on ANY airline in the U.S was from AA and that was simply a full can of coke on a half empty flight to DFW from SAT. More airlines should show customer appreciation.
B712,B738,B739,B752,B762ER,B763ER,B772ER,MD82,MD83,MD88,MD90,A320,CRJ9,CRJ2,EMJ145,ERJ175

WA707atMSP

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:59 pm

I was put on an other flight that would leave two hours later, not only I received a $300 voucher to be used on future AA flights, I received also a voucher to eat something for free at DFW. It doesn't always happen, but it does sometimes.

Whenever I get a voluntary bump (not just on AA), I nicely ask for a meal voucher, and almost always get it. The agents are usually really grateful that they don't have to involuntarily bump someone....

bigfoot0503

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm

I flew DL a few weeks back from PDX to LAX. I was pleasently suprised to see the DL snack cart in the check-in lobby area for DL at PDX. I had seen the same setup when flying thru DL hub cities such as DTW and ATL but didn't expect it at PDX. Was told that they have it out for the midday/afternoon push from PDX which sees three "widebody" departures with AMS, NRT and ATL as well as flights to SLC, JFK, LAX, SEA and MSP.

rta

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:08 pm

I've seen a cart full of snacks from Delta at DTW before. I thought it was a nice touch. I've not seen anything like this on United or American.

xdlx

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Has something to do with no trip sector under 250mi iwill get ANY service in Y class.
Gate Gourmet is on strike in ATL

itsasmallworld

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:19 pm

I was on Alaska about 6 months ago and there were about 5 back office folks handing out snacks and hand written thank you notes to each passenger in the jetway boarding our flight SEA-ANC. They mentioned they rarely get out of the office so just wanted to do their part to say thanks. I was very impressed. I still have the thank you card to this day.

PilotLawyer

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Anyone else remember that Southwest, back in the day, provided free glazed donuts and coffee at its departure gates for all early morning departures? Those were the days.

b777erj145

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Its really a nice gesture from DL. UA will probably be the last airline to be nice toward its customers.

pezzy669

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting xdlx (Reply 20):
Has something to do with no trip sector under 250mi iwill get ANY service in Y class.

Huh? MSP-CVG is 500+ miles.

If so they didn't roll out the snack cart when I flew MSP-DLH which is ~150 miles and ~30 minutes wheels up to wheels down.

rta

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting xdlx (Reply 20):

This makes sense. The time I saw it at DTW on DL was for a flight that didn't have any service.

caleb1

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting b777erj145 (Reply 23):
Its really a nice gesture from DL. UA will probably be the last airline to be nice toward its customers.

If United tried this, management would claim it's costing the company too much money, and then file for Chpt 11. 

WNCrew

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting canyonblue17 (Reply 15):
We do this at WN - it's known as a LUV Cart.

We do? I've been here for a while and haven't EVER seen anything like that.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

northwestEWR

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 25):
This makes sense. The time I saw it at DTW on DL was for a flight that didn't have any service.

That's not correct. It's being done right now to use up the remainder of the summer snack supply. All the stations will get restocked in the fall and it's being used as a thank you to our passengers for a great summer.

Quoting xdlx (Reply 20):
Gate Gourmet is on strike in ATL

Uhhh... no they aren't on strike. Service has been normal today. This is a good will gesture before all stations get a fresh supply of snacks/goodies in the coming months.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

compensateme

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:55 pm

Last December while flying DTW-LAX, DL announced that as their way of saying thanks, a complimentary lunch would be served. It was a light (but very caloric) lunch consisting of a turkey slider and brownie. Surprisingly, it was quite tasty (considering I won't eat at places such as Subway since they utilize cheap, low-quality meats).

Free DL Domestic Y Meal
We don’t care what your next flight is.

mayor

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:33 pm

Imagine that.........only 8 replies before someone before someone bashes the attempt by DL to do something good, but considering who it is, I shouldn't be surprised.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

maxamuus

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:41 pm

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 26):
If United tried this, management would claim it's costing the company too much money, and then file for Chpt 11. 

Almost.

UA would start the service to match Delta. Realize the service actually costs 3X times expected cost, thereby cutting into share holder returns. Unhappy with the cost UA would try adding the cost into the tickets as a "passenger appeasement" service charge.

To reduce costs further, the carts would be phased out and just hand out snacks from a bag factory bags or boxes.

After many focus groups and independent accounting reviews, UA would outsource the snack service. The outsourcing company would struggle to hire people at wages so low even the homeless would balk as they could make more money pan handling in front of the terminal.

The service would be downgraded and then ENHANCED, at this point its a guy who smells of cheap vodka handing out packing peanuts from a garbage bag.

An executive would discontinue the service all together there by saving the company a couple hundred thousand dollars a year. He would be promoted to Senior VP of Customer Gratitude and given several million dollars in stock options and a company car and large office in Willis but always be away from the office on his voicemail and email.

caleb1

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:07 am

Quoting maxamuus (Reply 31):
Almost.

UA would start the service to match Delta. Realize the service actually costs 3X times expected cost, thereby cutting into share holder returns. Unhappy with the cost UA would try adding the cost into the tickets as a "passenger appeasement" service charge.

To reduce costs further, the carts would be phased out and just hand out snacks from a bag factory bags or boxes.

After many focus groups and independent accounting reviews, UA would outsource the snack service. The outsourcing company would struggle to hire people at wages so low even the homeless would balk as they could make more money pan handling in front of the terminal.

The service would be downgraded and then ENHANCED, at this point its a guy who smells of cheap vodka handing out packing peanuts from a garbage bag.

An executive would discontinue the service all together there by saving the company a couple hundred thousand dollars a year. He would be promoted to Senior VP of Customer Gratitude and given several million dollars in stock options and a company car and large office in Willis but always be away from the office on his voicemail and email.

You nailed it!!! Spot on!!!

PA727

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 am

I'm sure people will say you're picking on UA, etc., but no matter the carrier, let me say I greatly appreciate your satire!!!  

PEK777

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:26 am

Post of the day. An internet for you sir. unfortunately jetblueguy will probably delete it

kurtjeter

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 30):
Imagine that.........only 8 replies before someone before someone bashes the attempt by DL to do something good, but considering who it is, I shouldn't be surprised.

I agree with you, mayor. No need whatsoever to bash Delta. Compliment on their trying to do something to PLEASE their passengers. And as for doing it "out of the goodness of their heart?" Yeah, as if all of us had 100% pure motives for everything we did. If we waited for that, nothing much good would happen.
Go, DELTA! And thank you for making "an effort in good taste!"

JBLUA320

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 am

We do this at B6, mostly during lengthy gate delays. Internally, we call it "IROP In A Box"

thegoldenargosy

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting delta88 (Reply 16):
Well i flew on Delta Shuttle out of BOS last month while flying to LGA, and being the last shuttle flight of the morning, they offered free bagels and drinks from the morning to all of us on board the aircraft and those at the Shuttle gates. This is the first time ive seen anything of this sort, recently. The most of anything similar to this i got on ANY airline in the U.S was from AA and that was simply a full can of coke on a half empty flight to DFW from SAT. More airlines should show customer appreciation.

That's part of the standard shuttle service. Bagels on the east coast, Luvo snacks on the west coast.

spartanmjf

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:36 am

LUV carts show up on delayed flights in a variety of WN stations - last week I got an unexpected and unsolicited LUV voucher for $100 for a flight that was delayed based primarily on weather......
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

sspontak

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 am

Way back in the late 1970's I remember being at the gate area waiting with my family for our DL MIA to JFK 72S flight. DL had a breakfast table near the gate with cold breakfast items of fruit, danish and bagels. Very nice! During the flight they also served in coach a nice steak and egg breakfast and the flight attendants came around with free champagne. I was 12 year old so I could not have the champagne. I remember my parents enjoyed it and my father also enjoyed his cigarette inflight. Things have certainly changed.

YVRFlyer

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:53 am

Wow, is it true you're Smisek's "good personality" that only comes out when you're drunk?    I've heard that legend around. UA shareholders should demand that you drink more often and permanently!

In any case you win A.net for the week.
YVRFlyer

L1011

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:58 am

A few years ago, Delta handed out Sky Deli bags at the gate for some flights, and American gave out Bistro Bags. Is what Delta is doing now the same thing?
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

seatback
Topic Author

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 am

I've also seen the carts at CVG's main ticket counter.

IPFreely

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:34 am

The "thanks for being you" snacks were handed out in the gate area for a flight I was waiting to board in DTW a few weeks ago. It was one day before the "good until July xx, 2015" expiration date marked on the package I was handed.

beau222

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:49 am

DL VPS has them at he Gates

cosyr

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting COSPN (Reply 1):
Not UA .... Never happen

Not true, and

Yes, I can, because they did. In terminal A at EWR, the pulled out several carts with snacks and sodas, etc. I don't know if some flights were delayed, but there wasn't like a mass delay at EWR that day, and the rotunda means that the food was out for all UAX pax.

deltal1011man

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 13):
It's the end of the Summer schedule and for all the airport employees,

kind of. It more or less runs till labor day.

parties around the system (if you wanna call them parties) start after that.

catiii

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 am

You must never fly AS, B6, or WN where this happens fairly regularly. Of course B6 offers unlimited snacks on its flights, with a much greater variety of snacks, so it doesn't need to do this at the gate.

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 43):

You and I must have been there around the same day. I had the exact same experience. "Hey, we really care about you. Here's some junk that's about to go bad."

DXTraveler

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:05 am

Whatever their motivation, very classy move!

"Can you imagine AA and UA doing this?" AA maybe. Sorry to say I wouldn't expect such a gesture from UA. (As I wait to board my TATL UA flight)

DocLightning

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:18 am

Companies aren't making enhancements out of the goodness of their hearts. There's a business case behind it.

Well, let's think. First of all, they may have some leftover snack stock ready to expire. Second, if they serve this at the gate they don't have to spend the fuel to haul it into the sky. Figure they spend 50¢ per passenger on this gesture. If even ten passengers tell their friend and/or coworkers about this nice thing that DL did, they just got cheaper and far better advertising than any Superbowl TV spot could ever do.

My company recently did a good deed. A family was made homeless because of the fires here in Northern California and they lost everything. So we got all of them into our clinic and gave them free medical care, updated the kids' vaccines, etc. We did a genuine good thing that cost us a few thousand dollars (a rounding error in the grand scheme of the balance sheet of a healthcare group with two hospitals, three centers for primary care, a center for specialty care, and associated ancillary services). In the process, however, the local paper ran a story about how our company stepped up and helped out this poor family. Everyone wins.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan