Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B737900
Topic Author

Did A Good Thing Ever Happen On Your Flight?

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:11 pm

We are reading an awful lot these days of the bad things that are happening on flights. Bad actors who get buggered by seat-backs or overstressed FA's tossing pax off flights. There doesn't seem to be a lot of patience these days. Here's a nice turn of events. Surely some of us have had some good and memorable flights. Care to share?

http://gu.com/p/4dnan/fb
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

MrBuzzcut

RE: Did A Good Thing Ever Happen On Your Flight?

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:08 pm

I had a flight from CID-DFW (heading back home to the ELP area) once--the reason why I was in Iowa wasn't really a great one, I was not really happy to have been up there in December, away from my family and entering finals week (I was back in school at the time) so I was pretty down when I boarded the flight.

It was a pretty light load that day for some reason (any other CID-DFW flight I've been on has been pretty full) and somehow, the FA was really able to cheer me up just by inviting me to come sit down across the aisle from where she was sitting after I had emerged from the lav. Didn't really even talk about much in particular--just idle chat about our spouses, kids, being away from family around the holidays, etc.

It's really hard to put a finger on why, but that was just an awesome flight and a truly wonderful FA that took the time to just chat about nothing for a while--it really turned what had been a pretty lousy trip around for me.

So, thanks American Eagle FA who's name escapes me now.

B737900
Topic Author

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:23 pm

I had a very memorable event happen to me on an AS flight from Seattle to Sitka a number of years ago. I was teaching school in Sitka. While the FA was doing her thing with the preflight safety lecture I noticed she looked very familiar. Her name tag said it all. We immediately recognized each other from the class room ten years previous. She actually mentioned something over the PA system like "Welcome aboard Mr. J". She was my student and I was her teacher. On the flight the roles were reversed. There was an empty first class seat and she very kindly moved me up. Never forget that.

winterlight

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:25 pm

One of the BA A380 crew gave me a tour of the upper deck even though it was officially closed off for the FRA training runs.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

JetBuddy

Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:36 pm

I've had a lot of great flights, most of them during the 80s and 90s. As an airline brat I often used the jump seat or even crew rest areas instead of the regular pax seats.

One particular flight I remember especially well was when I was riding jump seat in the SK Boeing 767 out KEWR bound for ENFB (closed). The flight was given a different SID or departure vectors for some reason, and we climbed out directly over Manhattan during night, with the spectacular lights from the skyscrapers and the streets below. You could see the endless tail lights from the cars on the streets running up and down Manhattan. It was really unforgettable.

Another flight I remember was from KMSY to KORD in an AA MD-80. It was a near empty flight, and I was sitting by myself in First Class in the leather seats, and the flight attendants kept refilling my ice cold Coke all the time. It was remarkable watching the circular fields and the flat landscape below almost all the way up to Chicago. When we decended into KORD there was a bad thunderstorm going on, and a lot of aircraft in holding patterns. The sky was so dark and gloomy, I could see the city lights, the lightning and the navigation lights from the other aircraft holding. Seemed like a lot of traffic in close proximity, at least for a young guy from Norway. It was something special to watch. As a side note, I could mention that I was on a trip from Oslo to New Orleans and back. My father (an SK DC-9 captain back then) had printed 17 stand-by tickets for me on different airlines back and forth, both via KORD and via KEWR. When I came home I returned the ones I hadn't used of course.

DeltaXNA

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Back in 1999 I was on a BA flight from DFW-LGW. That was my first flight on the 777. The flight attendant let my brother and I go and visit the cockpit in flight. That was really cool

I've never had a bad experience on a plane and I have flown quite a bit. I call that luck given all the stories I read and hear.

[Edited 2015-10-31 10:11:57]

ClassicLover

Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes.

I was flying from London Heathrow to Moscow with BA about 10 years ago and got chatting with the crew in the galley on the flight. Not long before we landed, one of the crew I'd been chatting to said, "Here is your Duty Free, Mr. N".

Having not ordered Duty Free, I looked puzzled, but the look in his eye said, "shh, take it". I did and put it under the seat in front.

After we landed I took a peek before I put it away into my carry on - one bottle of champagne, 3 mini vodka's, 3 mini gin's, 3 lemonades and 3 tonics   Needless to say, I was delighted!

BA have some amazing crews, and it's one of the reasons I fly them all the time.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

MayaviaERJ190

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:05 pm

As I am not associated in anyway with the air industry but just a die-hard fan, I have learned through the years that being a friendly, nice and well behaved passenger makes wonderful things happen to you. Thanks to this thread you made me take a dive back into memories trying to figure out which the best moment ever was but I came up with so many that I'm only going to mention a few and list the companies in which people have gone waaay out of their way to produce memorable moments (you'll be able to tell my age because of the number of defunct airlines on the list and some other details).

Some of my top experiences::

1.- MX Mexicana (Jump seat in many flights / Backstage tours and B727 simulator flights / and many, many others. At MEX and others).
2.- The Boeing Co. (Personal visit to first royal Saudi 747-SP / Invited on board demo flight of 1st RR engine-equipped 747 BA PAE)
3.- BN Braniff (Saved me in NY from hundreds of dollars in fare difference, when I was on my way home from Iceland -KEF-JFK on FI- and down to my last penny and also fed me in my stopover LGA-DFW-MEX)
4.- WA Western (Called my name on landing and have me exit through stairs at back door for special tour at LAX)
5.- HP America West (Let me make my first ever air-to-land phone call for free SAN-LAS)
6.- GD TAESA (Brought out leftover German beer from their European charters for my enjoyment ACA-MEX when German beer was not available in Mexico)
7.- AF Air France (Upgraded me to first on MEX-IAH B747 / invited me to watch first ever Concorde demo landing at MEX)
8.- AM AeroMéxico (Invitation to simulator flights DC8/DC9 MEX / Always did their best to upgrade me on MEX-TIJ-MEX and nine times in a 3-month period they gave me a free courtesy RT ticket MEX-TIJ when they couldn't upgrade me or were oversold which let me spend all weekends with my family at home)
9.- FX FedEx (Runway-side seats to watch the first ops of MX A330 MEX) (You-know-who-you-are)
10.- AeroTaxco (Islander BN2B pilot gave me a personal ride home after Taxco Air Strip-JJC)
11.- PA PanAm (Nice party and celebration at MCO after inaugural flight MIA-MCO air bridge with 727 / Let me play the official song for World Cup Mexico 86 over the PA mid-flight!!! on a PA A300 MIA-MEX full of Brazilian soccer fans on their way to the world cup)
12.- QA AeroCaribe (Accompanied me and walked me through all the Cuban red-tape on special aid-delivery trip CUN-HAV)
13.- JR AeroCalifornia (Upgraded me to first and got me a single fam-trip free stay at CSL on a SAN-SJD inaugural)
14.- EA Eastern (Personal delivery by me of an important forgotten medicine to my parents once they had already boarded a flight TPA)

Even though some sound like if I was a VIP rock star, I'm nothing but a private unknown citizen with an extremely common name and that is what makes the experiences remarkable. But now I have to look at it this way: Things like these just don't happen anymore. Either they're banned or people don't care about people anymore.
My other plane is an A380.

yyz717

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:39 pm

I was given a bottle of wine once from an AC FA at the end of a YVR-YYZ flight, when exiting the aircraft. The reason? I was BOB apparently (best on board).
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

mjoelnir

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:41 pm

99 % of my flights are good. Good service, friendly crew, departure and arrival within acceptable time limits.
Biggest bother usually rather getting to the airplain through congested airports and security and on arrival immigration, waiting for the luggage and customs.
When I was young, flying was still an adventure. Visits to the cockpit and getting on the Icelandic airplain was coming home. Crew was extra friendly to us kids travelling alone.
It happened more than once to me in winter that the airplane, DC6 usually, on the way from CPH or HAM to RKV waited in BGO or SVG for better weather, if the wait was long the youngest F/A was detailed to do something with us kids.
I hope they had as much fun as us and we were reasonable "good" kids.

B737900
Topic Author

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting MayaviaERJ190 (Reply 7):
MayaviaERJ190 From Mexico, joined Jan 2008, 359 posts, RR: 1

You under estimate yourself me thinks!!   

tomaheath

Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Last December on a Southwest flight from MHT to MCO with my sister going on a Disney vacation the FA named Holly was very nice and friendly. I was invited to see the cockpit and she always stopped and talked to my sister and myself. Maybe nothing extremely great happened on that flight but still was very good I send multiple email to Southwest about her I hope she got the message.
November of 2007 on Southwest MHT to MCO again on the way to a cruise they unrolled a roll of toilet paper down the aisle with one end in the toilet and flushed it that was also a fun flight very energetic.

dfwjim1

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:09 pm

Great topic! Back in 2011 my wife and I flew from DFW to FLL on Thanksgiving Day and we bought a box of sealed chocolates on
board for the crew to enjoy in appreciation of them working on Thanksgiving. Needless to say the crew was extremely appreciative
and gave my wife and I two free alcoholic drinks. As Jesus said "it is more blessed to give than to receive".

EMAman

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Air canada found out it was our honeymoon and gave us a bottle of champagne, even in economy!!

Ferminios

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:29 pm

I can personally thank a lot of KL crews for the passion for aviation that I have today. Back in the days (pre 9/11), my family used to live in MCT, and KL would never fly non-stop, always doing something like AMS - BAH / DOH / KWI / AUH, and then a short tag-on to MCT. As a result, we would never be more than 30 to 40 people on a 767 on that last bit. The kids would then be invited to go and have a look at the flight deck during flight. Fantastic memories!  

[Edited 2015-10-31 15:30:39]

phlswaflyer

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Every single flight on WN has been an absolute pleasure. Kindness, humour and fun .

EMAman

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:37 pm

I could also say that pre 9/11 had a couple of great cockpit visits:

07/05/89 - AE134 MAN - MCO
14/02/97 - VS009 LHR - JFK

I was only 8 yrs old first time, I would love to be able to take my kids down, but no longer allowed!!!

In terms of service, some of the best was on TG, UA, MH, SQ and QR, but also flying MAN-PVR on Thomson Dreamliner in premium club - excellent service and comfort for what was only a small additional cost.

Next flight on AC: LHR - Calgary on dec 27th, I would be excited if they hadnt just dumped the 767 on the route!!!

lollyj

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 pm

I was on an early morning U2 flight from EDI-BFS, it was supposed to only take about 35 minutes but we were held up at the gate because of damage to the aircraft, and the pilots had to radio headquarters/airbus in order to make sure that we were safe to fly (well, that's what he said over the PA anyway) and so we ended up waiting at the gate for 4 hours. Even though it was such a long delay, the FAs and pilots were amazing, keeping us updated every 30 minutes with the progress of the inquiry, then they opened the doors to allow people to stand on the airstairs for some fresh air, then after an hour and a half, they gave everyone free soft drinks, followed an hour later by free alcoholic drinks (also, there were only about 25 PAX on board) and we all were allowed to visit the cockpit and sit in the left hand seat and ask any questions of the flight crew. They worked so hard to make sure we weren't bored and were fully informed, I was very impressed and wrote to U2 about the experience. I do hope they all received some sort of recognition from the company.

N415XJ

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 pm

One of my best flying memories was aboard a KLM 767-300 from AMS-AMM-DAM when I was about 4 or 5 years old. The flight crew was very, very nice, and one particular older woman took a special liking to me, making jokes and ensuring that I had all the sweets she could provide. At one point she invited me into the cockpit and let me wear a spare headset and listen to the ATC chatter! She told me to be quiet as the pilots were busy. I asked her a question, which apparently was at the same time as the pilots were talking to ATC. I distinctly remember hearing "KLM ###, say again" before I was shooed out of the cockpit.

Another great memory was when I was also about 5 or 6 was aboard a Mesaba Saab 340 from DTW-SAW. I was in a bit of a bad mood as my brother had snagged my window seat. The flight attendant saw this and moved me to a vacant one, then checked up on me every now and then to make sure I was in a better mood. At the end of the flight, I got to go into the cockpit, where the pilot showed me all the cool sounds the plane could make (stick shaker sound, various test beeps, etc), and I even got to make a PA before I left! I could go on and on about all the awesome people at KL and NW who made my pre-9/11 flights as a little kid so amazing.

Ytraveller

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Growing up in a post 9/11 world I don't have any such memories    Although I have one faint recollection of being invited into the cockpit and seeing the bright blue sky and clouds outside...

The closest I can get is my parents wanted to visit a lounge at DOH (shortly after Hamad Int'l opened) but it was under construction. The staff gave them a model of an Arabian camel to make up  

warden145

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:08 pm

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating.

Growing up in the late 80's and early to mid 90's, I practically lived on AA and Reno Air MD-80's on the SJC-LAX route. I had a very strong interest in aviation even at that young of an age, and would regularly go up to the flight deck both before and after my flights. I'm pretty sure the flight crews were starting to recognize me, and I'm sure that I was more than a little annoying (many would argue that that hasn't changed   ). However, no one ever showed it. They were nothing but kind and gracious, and I was allowed to sit in the captain's seat a couple of times.

One time (I think I was 11 or 12), an off-duty FA came into the flight deck before a flight to say hi to the flight crew and saw me. She was so impressed with my level of knowledge that she invited me to sit next to her during the flight. We talked the whole way...and, it's the only time I ever sat in a First Class seat 

In any event, on the off-chance that anyone who was a part of any of those flight crews sees this, THANK YOU for putting up with a bratty 12 year old and keeping smiles on your faces! It really meant a lot to me...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

ODwyerPW

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:18 pm

Flew on the return leg of a trip from Tri Cities (JohnsonCity/Kingsport/Bristol) to Tucson this past Tuesday, Oct 27th. Bad start.
Where as they had record of us paying for checked bags for 2 bags on the departure, they only had record of us paying for 1 checked bag on the return.
So, we paid for a bag (again). We were given 1 (not 2) drink coupons for the inconvenience. (so it went to my wife).
Plane went tech and we were delayed about 45 minutes, which meant I would miss the connection in Charlotte.

Arrive at Charlotte and are put on standby for a flight that leaves in 2 hours, but given a $25 gift certificate to be used for breakfast. Pretty cool.
So we had a nice $30 breakfast that only cost us $5. (our plan was to eat in Charlotte anyway, so this was good).

Got on the flight, a nice new A321 and it's a flawless flight to Phoenix. I'm in the bulkhead row (which I like).

Arrive in Phoenix . We are on standby again.

Get on this flight.. it's a brand new CRJ900 and we are put in first class (my wife has never flown first class) for the 24 minute flight to Tucson.

Bags arrived safely too. Overall, arrived home about 2 hours later than planned, but not bad at all.

Haven't flown AA in over 12 years, and it was a nice trip and the employees threw in a few things that we never asked so the double purchase on the checked bag was quickly forgot.

It helps that my wife and I were very polite, patient and gracious each step of the way.
learning never stops.

edelag

Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:45 pm

December 25th, 2002. IAH-LGW, on a BA 777. Traveling with family (6 of us) on economy. Seats all over the place. We were connecting in IAH from MTY. On the counter in Houston, asked to have all of us seated near each other. Agent goes to the telephone for about 10 minutes, while we were wondering if there was any problem. She returns, wishes us a happy Christmas and informed us she got the green light to upgrade us to club world (business). Excellent flight across the pond and excellent start to our European trip.

Saludos.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

RetiredWeasel

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:14 am

Before I got my degree, became a USAF pilot and subsequently an airline pilot, I was an Army grunt on my way back to Vietnam in 1967. I think it was UA flight from SFO to HNL where a one of a deadheading "stewardess' crew sat beside me on that 6 hour flight. To me- a 19 yo, she was beautiful and represented the exotic woman I fantasized about frequently.

When she fell asleep, her head rolled over onto my shoulder and I was afraid to move for the next 3 hours for fear of spoiling this surreal dream. When she did wake up, she apologized for disturbing me, but I was in total Love and just said something lame like 'no problem'.

Of course nothing ever came of it, but to this day, I can still picture the scene and still smell her perfume.

lesfalls

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:27 am

One of the best memory of Avitaion was on a flight from LGA-RSW. A stewardess came to me and asked if I wanted to see the cockpit (I was 5 years old at the time) and I obviously said yes. The captain and first officer were very kind. They gave me a book and let me say something on the PA (which at this time thinking about it I find hilarious   ).

My best recent one was when I flew 3 months ago JFK-ZRH-CPH on LX. The crew were the most friendly I ever met , they made my day when they had the will to talk with a teenager and at the end of the flight I received the biggest surprise :A bag of chocolates and a book! This was one unforgettable experience for me that I remember with every detail  .
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

diverted

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 am

I've had some pretty good things happen to me thus far.
While some would consider a FD jumpseat a bad deal, I always enjoy it. Especially when it's a matter of it being quite literally the last empty seat on the plane.

Then of course you have the unexpected nice surprises. "sir, your flight is delayed and you'll miss your connection. So we've rebooked you on a direct flight arriving 45 minutes earlier" and the like.

aerorobnz

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:58 am

Last tour of USA I got the full can on every flight I had on UA.. haha

On my QF flight from SIN-SYD the crew member gave me the "Noah's Ark" treatment .two bottles of watter, two wines, two desserts every time I asked for anything. It was great.

On AR I got given 3 750ml bottles of wine to take with me a couple of times, as well as a couple of unofficial upgrades to Business.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

jetblueguy22

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:19 am

I had a cool thing happen during a bad flying day.

I was trying to get back to school in GFK, but the previous night I had missed my connection thanks to a broken gate at MSP. Anyways I spent the night, not happy. The next day I go to the airport and first flight gets cancelled due to a blizzard. Get on the second flight. I sit down next to a middle aged gentleman. Extremely nice. I ask him what he did and he was told me he was involved in circuit boards and was returning from China. Only a few days earlier my stepdad had come back from China meeting with customers in the same industry. So of course I say "Oh my stepdad works with the chemistry for printed circuits." He was like really, what is his name? I told him, sure enough a week earlier he and my stepfather had met for a meeting and lunch in Suzhou. I was floored. I couldn't believe that something that insanely remote could happen. He spoke highly of him which made me really proud. The flight ended up getting cancelled and as we were waiting to deplane I called my stepdad and asked if he could help me get back to GFK, when I told him who I was sitting next to he couldn't believe it. As we got off the plane I told the guy he should buy more of my stepdad's product as he had another 3 years of college to pay for.

Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

copter808

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:21 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 4):
My father (an SK DC-9 captain back then) had printed 17 stand-by tickets for me on different airlines back and forth, both via KORD and via KEWR. When I came home I returned the ones I hadn't used of course.

Ahh yes, I remember the days of buying a handful of tickets before a trip, then cashing in 25-35 paper tickets two or three times a year. So much more convenient with the e-tickets now.

WearyDrover

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:03 am

On a few flights I have received little gifts from the cabin crew: packs of cards, bottles of liqueuers and spirits. I have also been given guided tours of the aircraft. On a couple of flights I have even been moved to the forward cabin after boarding.

This week, due to the chance remeeting a purser from a previous flight I had my first visit to the flightdeck of the A380. I hadn't asked but the purser had arranged it with the Captain.

These little kindnesses do make flying more enjoyable.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

VapourTrails

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:56 am

Quoting Ytraveller (Reply 19):
Growing up in a post 9/11 world I don't have any such memories. Although I have one faint recollection of being invited into the cockpit and seeing the bright blue sky and clouds

I really feel for you guys, it was so much better in the old days! Don't mean to rub it in, but generally speaking, people also behaved on a flight. There was no such thing as LCC or ULCC. The first time I went on one, when it was one, I was shocked to see how some people behaved, it never used to be like that twenty or more years ago, at least what I've experienced, which admittedly is not a huge amount of air miles. People being loud, cursing, putting their feet on the seat, this has all been witnessed post-2000 era for me.

Yes, being invited up into the cockpit, or asking, and being allowed to go up. Sitting near the front, and watching the pilots in action with the open door policy of that era. They were the good things, it was called freedom, and the liberty on the ground of not being scanned and drug or explosive tested or having hand luggage sniffed by a dog, although that still happens for quarantine - different matter!

One thing which I want to mention, but I was going to put it in my most recent trip report, if anyone reads it and, if I ever finish it, is that on my last three flights now I seem to have overcome all anxiety of flying. I appear to be cured, at least for the foreseeable future. That is a great blessing and a gift (those who have had or have it will know what I mean) and it is much more relaxing and enjoyable, because nothing matters! Cool as a cat. Cooler than. Have done a lot more flying this year, but didn't have it until the late 90's, so it feels even greater again now, flying should be enjoyable shouldn't it.

Travelling with people you know and not alone is good. Travelling for work or flights given as gifts are a good thing as I am not paying for it.   I did get a flight change recently that put me from a Q400 to a B717, that was the best timing on my part and a lovely surprise!

=

777Jet

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:03 am

Any flight in which my personal space is not encroached on, I don't hear screaming children or crying babies, and I can't smell stinky passengers is a good flight...  

Other than that, a few specific flights that come to mind:

On my last flight on Scoot one very kind FA organised to turn the 787 rainbow lighting on for me (on that specific flight they don't usually turn the rainbow lights on because of the times). In addition, she organised a cockpit visit for me after the flight and that was just great! All of the Scoot staff I've dealt with, especially the FAs and pilots, have a great attitude 'Scootitude' and they are now one of my preferred airlines.

Many years ago on an AA MadDog flight from LAX to AUS... I was very tired after a long haul flight from SYD to LAX so I slept most of the flight. As soon as I woke up, which was about 30 mins before landing, two FAs came to me and asked if I was from the 'Qantas flight from Australia, coz pax from that flight usually sleep on this flight'? When I said yes, they placed two of those small plastic bottles of Jack Daniels on my tray table and gave me two cups with ice and two cans of Coke and said "Welcome to the USA!" - I'll never forget that flight!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

wilco737

Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Well, I must say, I did so many flights in my life so far and I am already happy when the flight end uneventful and I can go home or to the hotel and I can be happy. That's good enough for me  

wilco737

n729pa

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:53 pm

In 2013 I was flying down to SYD/MEL for the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia (Rugby Union). For those who don't know what the "Lions" are, it's a rugby team made up of the select players from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Every four years they tour either South Africa, New Zealand or as in this case Australia. These tours are pretty big for all concerned including the host nation, on average 30,000 to 40,000 fans from the UK and Ireland travel to support them.

This particular time they are going to play a 3 test series against Australia, and I fly out LHR-DXB-SYD on the Friday, as the 1st test is taking part on the Saturday evening local time. As I re-board the QF2 at DXB, I explained to one of the cabin crew what was going on - the 1st test was going to be played whilst we were flying DXB-SYD - so I asked if there was any chance I could find out was the score was before we arrived in SYD on Sunday AM. Much to my surprise I got regular updates coming back from "upstairs" back to 88A throughout the game, and then the final result. Just before we landed at SYD, the Captain also made an announcement to say that anyone interested in the result of the game, the Lions won 23-21.

A nice touch from Qantas (sponsors of the Australian team), as they could have just ignored the request, but it was much appreciated and adds to my memories of the trip.

B737900
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 am

Quoting n729pa (Reply 33):
n729pa From UK - England, joined Jan 2011, 535 posts, RR: 0

Thanks, your story is why I started this post.

[Edited 2015-11-03 17:16:59]

YVRLTN

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:00 am

I have had many great experiences with AC, two I remember:

When I emigrated, I had 3 suitcases and of course had to pay for two of them, plus they were heavy. Upon check in I was redirected to the special bag drop to pay for it all. The lovely AC lady took my bags and asked why I was travelling so heavily, I told her I was emigrating. She took my bags and said "welcome to Canada, your bags are on us, least we can do to welcome you to our country".

Also on AC, before I moved here actually, I took a domestic flight with a British friend. Upon check in, the CSA booked us in the emergency exit row with extra legroom as she loved our accents  

Another one was in CMN, I was extremely late for my BA flight (due to my driver taking a short cut through construction of a road being built which literally did not end so well...) - anyway, the BA counter was closed and their staff gone. I went to the info desk and explained my situation as the aircraft should still have been there, who took me to the RAM customer service desk. The guy there took my suitcase and gave it to a colleague and barked some instructions who duly disappeared at full speed. He took me through security & customs - no boarding pass!! (and I had to hand over all my dirhams as the officer was unhappy about me leaving the country with them and I had no time to exchange them) - to the BA gate which was closed. More barked instructions, showed my ticket & passport, they printed my boarding pass and down the airbridge I went... greeted my stares of annoyed delayed pax as I made my way to the back of the bus. The best bit was upon arrival in LHR the baggage belt started and one single suitcase came through on its own - and I was on my way with a cheerful wave to all the other pax  I have no idea who the RAM guy was, but he sure had some pull at CMN and I was not even flying with his airline...!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

The UA agents in DFW became fond of me as I was a regular on DFW-IAH to go home. I had missed the first 2 flights after being bumped for nonreving and the lead felt bad for me so she lightly called the 2 sbys ahead of me in rapid succession and then called me, I was right next to the podium. Outside of IAH, the DFW UA agents are the nicest I've met.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

StlHsvSfoSan

Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 am

Nothing that specifically happened to me, but...

A couple years ago I was on a captains retirement flight LAX-STL. He made a short speech before departure, his family (wife and kids) were on the flight, and the FAs passed around a giant "Best Wishes" card for all the passengers to sign.

Last August, on a DL flight MSP-STL, the Captain and First Officer were a father and son team. The son had just gotten out of the Air Force, and that flight was his first revenue flight.

fbgdavidson

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Had a good one last night...flying STT-MIA-JFK with my girlfriend on AA in the front cabin on both flights.

At STT you board by stairs from the apron and we are the first ones up the stairs and the Captain is there at 2L, very friendly guy that starts chatting to us as there's a brief hold before we can get on the aircraft itself. We fly up to MIA as normal and then board our flight to JFK a couple of hours later. Both are 757s but different configurations and when I pop up to the toilet by the cockpit as boarding is taking place I notice the captain is the same one from the STT-MIA flight. He recognizes me and asks if my girlfriend and I want to come and hang out in the cockpit for the remainder of boarding. We each sit in his seat and we take photos, chat with the FO etc. I'd told him about my (brief) flying past and he asks if I want to help out with his preflight checks   

Yes, this is me firing up the APU   

[Edited 2015-11-16 09:51:49]
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

B737900
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:42 am

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 38):
fbgdavidson From United Kingdom, joined Oct 2004, 3785 posts, RR: 26

This is why I posted this thread two weeks ago! Thanks.