Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DSS787
Topic Author

CX Premium Economy Service

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:25 am

I have a flight this weekend to HKG with CX from LAX. I am going in premium economy and I want to know what type of service to expect. I am particularly interested in what kind of drinks are offered and meal. I flew PE with NH about 2 years ago from JFK-NRT and it was absolutely fantastic. So I'm hoping for a repeat on CX. Any info would be appreciated.

*This is my first topic post (I have been a long time reader, but just now decided to join), so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section*

YLWbased

RE: CX Premium Economy Service

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:43 am

Hi dss787,

Check-in - There will be a dedicated counter for PEY Check-in

Luggage - You should be able to carry about 20-30% more luggage

Boarding - You'll enjoy priority boarding

Seat - Wider than Y seat with more room between seats (Obviously) and 8-inches recline

Cabin - Dedicated cabin section for PEY

Entertainment - same as EY, but you'll be given noise cancellation headphones instead of the standard crap

Amenity Kit - Available on PEY (with socks, eyeshade, earplus and tooth brush.

F & B - Welcome drink will be served, meals on long-haul PEY will be different from Y with better selection

Overall, if you're paying for PEY, doesn't worth it. If you're redeeming your flight, good value, as it cost only 30% more.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

hongkongflyer

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 1):
F & B - Welcome drink will be served, meals on long-haul PEY will be different from Y with better selection

For F & B, the main course for one of the meals will be same as business class, and you will get a standard Y food for the other meal.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:55 am

Premium economy in general i think makes a long flight like this, tolerable. Regular coach is just miserable when packed. I also think you find way less babies in premium economy which makes the price alone worth it. If you are next to a screaming baby on a long flight like that, any price is worth it to get away.

I have always been pretty comfortable in premium economy you will appreciate the extra room, only exception is if the flight happened to be really empty and the regular coach people get to spread out, which in 2015 is become less and less common.

BreninTW

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:18 am

I've flown CX's Y+ almost exclusively since it was introduced (when flying on my own dime -- company dime I'm in Y). For me, the thing that makes the extra expense worth it is the legroom. The extra width is also nice, given that I'm an extra-wide person.

The service is pretty standard CX service: Good and consistent. The meals are decent -- ironically I've eaten better meals in Y+ than I've got in J, especially ex-HKG. The drinks available include beers, a fairly good selection of spirits and wines. Main meal selection is usually a choice from three or four dishes, breakfast is a choice from three.

I'm a big fan of CX's Y+ -- in some respects I find it more comfortable than J, and the smaller cabin is nice. Only thing that I really don't like is having to climb over someone if you're in a non-aisle seat and the person in front of you has reclined their seat. If I'm travelling on my own, I will normally request an aisle seat, when travelling with my partner we book the two side seats and one of us gets the window and the other the aisle.

celestar

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:25 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 4):
I've flown CX's Y+ almost exclusively since it was introduced (when flying on my own dime -- company dime I'm in Y). For me, the thing that makes the extra expense worth it is the legroom. The extra width is also nice, given that I'm an extra-wide person.

The service is pretty standard CX service: Good and consistent. The meals are decent -- ironically I've eaten better meals in Y+ than I've got in J, especially ex-HKG. The drinks available include beers, a fairly good selection of spirits and wines. Main meal selection is usually a choice from three or four dishes, breakfast is a choice from three.

I'm a big fan of CX's Y+ -- in some respects I find it more comfortable than J, and the smaller cabin is nice. Only thing that I really don't like is having to climb over someone if you're in a non-aisle seat and the person in front of you has reclined their seat. If I'm travelling on my own, I will normally request an aisle seat, when travelling with my partner we book the two side seats and one of us gets the window and the other the aisle.

Not to mention the excellent recline on Y+!
The food is quite nice, they always have that steak with some sort of red wine sauce, it seems to be on every flight!
The only downfall is that since it is located aft of the J and in front of Y, FAs need to 'run' to your service from the Y section, not a big deal but it does take longer especially on long haul flight.
CX Y+ is definitely a good product!

BreninTW

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 am

Quoting celestar (Reply 5):
they always have that steak with some sort of red wine sauce

I don't think I've ever seen that on the menu -- seen plenty of lamb though!

Only once have they not had my meal selection, the crew was very apologetic and ensured my partner and I got our selection for breakfast.

hz747300

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 am

I find it's good for the width and the legroom, but I find the food about the same. They say the meal is a little bigger, but doesn't seem so. I enjoy it more when I get the 3 seats to myself in Y. In Y+, I find it is actually better to not be in the front row. Unless you are in the seats behind the lav on the right side of the plane (facing front). The reason is on the left side, the room is cramped by the evacuation slide, and in the middle, people are always walking across you to get to the lav. Plus the footrests work better for the seat in the non-front rows.
Keep on truckin'...

YLWbased

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 7):
but I find the food about the same

were you flying regional? Becoz they serve the same food in both PEY and Y for regional flights.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

jacobchoi

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:03 am

just a quick question. Around Februrary 2014, I took a cx233 flight from HKG-MXP and in Y, the cabin was around 50% full. But during catering, they handed me a tray which was so good in quality that I thought it may be a Y+ meal, is that normal?

ClassicLover

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

Here you go... I flew CX Premium Economy in January and did a Trip Report with lots of pictures -

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ums/trip_reports/read.main/261258/

Let me know what you think.

It was so good I'm flying it again in April to and from Sydney. It's worth every penny and is such a nice way to fly on long flights. Highly recommended.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

LondonCity

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Quoting classiclover (Reply 10):
It's worth every penny and is such a nice way to fly on long flights. Highly recommended.

It looks a nice way to fly. But CX hasn't found Y+ to be a success on every long-haul route.

jetwet1

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:12 pm

Quoting jacobchoi (Reply 9):
But during catering, they handed me a tray which was so good in quality that I thought it may be a Y+ meal, is that normal?

Every once and a while an airline will do something crazy, like put a great meal into circulation for the Y cabin, I have had such meals on BA,VS and AA....But it's okay, they soon catch the mistake and return us to the normal stuff.

celestar

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 6):
I don't think I've ever seen that on the menu -- seen plenty of lamb though!

Only once have they not had my meal selection, the crew was very apologetic and ensured my partner and I got our selection for breakfast.

I had eight flights on Y+ from June 2014 to May 2015, each and every one of these flight, the steak/beef was available, albeit in different sauces! I think that is the same entree as in business class cause I did one in J on March 2015.
On my last one in August, yes, they served lamb which is pretty good and I like it. I recall that was on my return flight from SFO. Maybe, they finally changed the meat dish!

hz747300

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 8):
regional? Becoz they serve the same food in both PEY and Y for regional flights.

No, it was the 23:55 to LHR. But I've flown Y+ many times, SYD, LAX, JFK, YYZ, and LHR, and whilst I would recommend it for the seat, and the space, I wouldn't for food. Given that the shortest sector I've flown it is at least 9 hours it's worth it unless you are guaranteed three to yourself in Y.

Regionally, if I've flown it it was due to an upgrade. Me and my company wouldn't pay for Y+ on short segments.
Keep on truckin'...

DSS787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:13 am

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the trip. I paid for Y+ as well as my traveling companions. I am 6'3" so the extra leg room is what I was hoping for and a little better service since I can not afford J.

777Jet

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 1):
Luggage - You should be able to carry about 20-30% more luggage

Which is still a lot less than Y on many other airlines  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

9w748capt

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:18 am

Lengthy thread on the CX flyertalk forum as well with more details. PE is solid. Better than Y but nowhere close to J (nor should it be, really).

Pellegrine

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:40 am

Nice to read the comments, I'm trying to decide if J is worth what 2-3x the cost over W on a JFK-YVR flight I have coming up soon.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

karan69

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 pm

I flew them in March of this year they were worth it for long haul but nit for medium haul

Here is my trip report of the same

Different Shades Of Green: CX Premium Y To AKL (by Karan69 Jun 20 2015 in Trip Reports)

Karan