Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PieterBoth
Topic Author

YVR-SFO Connecting In LAX - Question

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search and found similar topics but not specifically this question).
I have been booked by work for a flight YVR-SFO via LAX on American Airlines (flights arriving and departing from T4). My connection time in LAX is 1 hour. I did a search and saw that on arrival from an international flight into the States, you have to collect your luggage and go through immigration, and that 1 hour is not enough to transfer from an international to domestic flight.
I called the travel agent and they said they checked with the airline, and that 45 minutes was their minimum transfer time, so if my arrival flight into LAX is on time I should be fine, if I miss the connection they'll put me on the next flight...but I have my doubts, from what I've read. They also said I did not have to collect luggage, it would be checked straight through to SFO.
Can anyone shed any light on this? Arriving from Canada, do I still have to collect my luggage and clear immigration in LAX?
Thanks in advance for any insight!

rta

RE: YVR-SFO Connecting In LAX - Question

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:51 pm

You will clear U.S. customs and immigration in Canada at YVR. Your flight will arrive in LAX as it would if it were a domestic U.S flight.

1 hour should be fine.

LAXintl

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Odd way to fly...

But yes you will arrive LAX as a domestic flight having cleared US immigration and customs in Canada.

Only thing you might want to be aware of, YVR-LAX is operated as an American Eagle flight by Compass Airlines. Being a regional aircraft you wont park at the main terminal, but at AA's remote regional terminal and will need to be bused to AA's main facility. This can take up a good 15 minutes depending on number of buses running and airfield traffic.

But otherwise, should not be a big issue.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

PieterBoth
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 1):
You will clear U.S. customs and immigration in Canada at YVR
Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
But yes you will arrive LAX as a domestic flight having cleared US immigration and customs in Canada.

Thanks a lot for your replies! This is what I was wondering, whether US immigration would be cleared in YVR.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Odd way to fly...

Yes indeed, I'll fly right over SFO...I'm booked on a multi-stop ticket MAN-YVR-SFO-MAN and for the YVR-SFO leg, the only option for the lowest price being offered was via LAX for some reason.

Thanks again for your replies - and thanks for the heads up on the remote stand info.