Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nema
Topic Author

Gifts For The Cabin Crew

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi, were flying back from Tenerife to the UK on Christmas day on a Thomsons flight. My wife and i thought it would be nice to give all of the crew (including flight deck) a small gift each when we board in the spirit of the occasion and as a gesture for them having to work that day. I,m maybe thinking of seasonally wrapped individual chocolate treats or similar.

Does anyone feel that they would not be allowed to accept them?
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

aklrno

RE: Gifts For The Cabin Crew

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:59 pm

I do it all the time when I fly on holidays. I will be passing out small gifts on my two flights on Thanksgiving day (next Thursday).

My usual gift is a tiny box of chocolates. I can get a small gift box with 4 or 5 pieces for $1.50 here. Not the world's best candy, but not bad either. It is a bit expensive if you will be on an A380, but I'll be on 2 737s. I figure 5 boxes per flight for the 3 cabin crew and 2 pilots. I'll take one extra in case one of the 737s turns out to be a 737-800.

Whatever you choose, it should be a commercially wrapped package. Loose candy or other food is not a good idea, and I wouldn't eat it if I received it.

I just hand it to the first FA I see on boarding, and ask that they be handed out when they have a chance. Sometimes the crew has no reaction at all, but usually they are very happy to see it. Last Christmas I was on an NZ A320 and the crew was so excited the pilot insisted that I stop by the flight deck on the way out, had me sit in the left seat, and took pictures for me. I was not as excited as he was because I knew someone was waiting for me, but it was fun anyway.

777Jet

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:25 am

Quoting nema (Thread starter):
seasonally wrapped
Quoting aklrno (Reply 1):
it should be a commercially wrapped package.

On the topic of wrapping gifts for crew.

I agree that the chocolates / candy / whatever should be commercially wrapped in the usual plastic so it looks not opened.

However, do you think seasonal wrapping is appropriate given today's threat / security levels?

Would some FAs get suspicious if they received a few small seasonally wrapped gifts to hand out that they don't know what should be inside?
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

rugger

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:54 am

I think leave the gift wrap off and just make sure the item is still "factory wrapped & sealed" and say something like "Merry Christmas to the crew!" and hand the boxes to the F/A.

nema
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:22 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes my intent is not to add wrapping, when i said seasonally wrapped individual chocolates i meant like chocolate snowmen, santas and angels and presented as purchased over the counter.

Appreciate your replies.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

UALFAson

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Yes, my mom is a retired flight attendant and she said they were always appreciative of little niceties from the passengers. They are usually hungry, so gifts of chocolate, candies, snacks, etc. would be preferable to knick-knacks or trinkets. They are not allowed to accept cash money or tips, but nominal token gifts are fine.

As others have mentioned, store bought, factory wrapped products are much preferred to homemade goods and are best presented without wrapping paper.

I usually take treats when flying on Christmas or Thanksgiving and usually give them to the flight attendant at the door upon boarding along with thanks for working during the holidays and for being away from their families. I am sure they will appreciate your generosity!
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

e38

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 am

Reference comments by the thread starter (nema), "Does anyone feel that they would not be allowed to accept them?"

I think your generosity is admirable and very kind. I do not think there is any type of prohibition by flight crew members from accepting a small gift as you suggested (at least in the United States).

However, and please do not think I am ungrateful or unappreciative, but I would prefer not to receive a gift from a passenger during holiday travel. Instead, I would simply prefer a friendly smile and a kind word--perhaps something like "Thank you very much for working today so we could . . . get home for the holidays, or be able to be with friends and family, or have a chance to enjoy the holidays in the Canary Islands" for example. The fact that you recognize that the crew is working on a holiday and take the time to comment on it would be just fine with me. With regard to the pilots, if you take a moment to step inside the flight deck to thank them or just to express interest in their work (just ask the lead flight attendant when boarding or deplaning), they would appreciate that very much as well.

In this business, it is just a given that you will work over major holidays and most crewmembers accept that. You learn to celebrate important dates--not just holidays but birthdays, anniversaries, etc--whenever you are home--not necessarily on the actual date.

So, while many airline crewmembers would sincerely appreciate some form of gift as you mentioned--wrapped sweets are just fine--I, personally, simply prefer a friendly smile and a kind word. I do not mean to be ungrateful nor unappreciative, and if offered, I certainly would graciously accept the gift, of course, but having to work on major holidays is simply part of the job.

Thank you, and the other posters, for your kindness and thoughtfulness.

e38

airportugal310

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 am

I always bring "omiyage" to crews on other airlines than my own, including the flight crew (why leave them out??)

Being from Hawaii, I usually bring Hawaiian Host chocolate covered mac nuts and its been a hit from here to Dubai and everywhere in between that I've been.

Totally do it
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

DocLightning

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 7):
Being from Hawaii, I usually bring Hawaiian Host chocolate covered mac nuts and its been a hit from here to Dubai and everywhere in between that I've been.
Quoting 777Jet (Reply 2):
I agree that the chocolates / candy / whatever should be commercially wrapped in the usual plastic so it looks not opened.
Quoting aklrno (Reply 1):
My usual gift is a tiny box of chocolates.

Chocolate is seldom the wrong answer to just about any question.  

If your origin is known for chocolate (Hawaii for macadamia, Switzerland, Germany, San Francisco [Ghiradelli], etc.) then get the local chocolate.

In Tenerife, you should, instead of chocolate, get either marzipan (for which Spain is famous) or turron (another Spanish sweet delicacy) and hand those out to flight crew.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan