Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scutfarcus
Topic Author

Why No $ Incentive To Cancel A Reservation?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:23 am

Odd question and idea for anyone in airline management:

Given that change fees are now $200 and up it's essentially stupid to actually change a flight for the majority of people. I have a flight coming up in fact that i'm not going to be able to take. It's much cheaper to just buy a new ticket later on than to pay the crazy change fee. As a result, I'm not going to tell the airline anything, I'll just be a no-show.

Surely it's in the airline's best interest to know in advance that I'm planning to be a no-show right? They'd be able to have much more accurate expectation of the full-ness of the flight and would be able to re-sell the ticket, making money.

So.... I don't expect an airline to refund my canceled reservation, but wouldn't it make sense to offer people something nominal to give them an incentive to inform the airline that you're not showing up? Heck, even if they gave me $25 it would be worth my time to log on and cancel things officially.

Thoughts?

777Jet

RE: Why No $ Incentive To Cancel A Reservation?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Thread starter):
Given that change fees are now $200 and up it's essentially stupid to actually change a flight for the majority of people. I have a flight coming up in fact that i'm not going to be able to take. It's much cheaper to just buy a new ticket later on than to pay the crazy change fee. As a result, I'm not going to tell the airline anything, I'll just be a no-show.

I do the same. I even do the on-line check-in thing as well, so they won't know I'm not going to be on the plane until they close the door (depending on the country / check-in procedures) and maybe it's too late for them to sell my seat to somebody not physically at the gate area then... Why do I do it? Because I can. And, like you say, because there is no incentive not to.

On one airline I paid $110 for the one way flight. I couldn't make it and I knew the evening before. The change fee was $200. A ticket on that flight was now $450. I still checked-in on-line, printed my boarding pass, had no checked luggage, etc - so they wouldn't have known until it was time to close the door.

Surely it's in the airline's best interest to know in advance that I'm planning to be a no-show right? They'd be able to have much more accurate expectation of the full-ness of the flight and would be able to re-sell the ticket, making money.

You'd think so!

So.... I don't expect an airline to refund my canceled reservation, but wouldn't it make sense to offer people something nominal to give them an incentive to inform the airline that you're not showing up? Heck, even if they gave me $25 it would be worth my time to log on and cancel things officially.

I guess for the few times they can't take advantage of a 'no-show' seat it costs less to them to just let the seat go empty instead of paying out small incentive sums more often than they have to.

[Edited 2015-11-19 16:44:10]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

MAH4546

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:50 am

No, it is not in an airlines best interest whatsoever to let you change for free. If that was the case, people would buy lots of tickets, block inventory, and then release seats at the last minute. Planes would fly out with far too many empty seats. Airlines needs to charge a heavy penalty for cancelling a ticket.
a.

pa747sp

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 am

So.... I don't expect an airline to refund my canceled reservation, but wouldn't it make sense to offer people something nominal to give them an incentive to inform the airline that you're not showing up?

if you are on a non-refundable one-way ticket, the airline retains the revenue even when you dont fly. From the airlines point of view the only way they could give you an incentive to advise them that you aren't flying is to refund part of the ticket, and that process costs the airline money.

If you are on a return ticket and you don't turn up for a flight the airline will cancel the return bookings, and often charge a no-show fee before reinstating the flights. So the airline will get some monetary compensation for the empty seat.

Also, when passengers no-show it means that there's more chance that airline staff on standby will get a seat, so personally I would like there to be no incentive for passengers to let the ariline know in advance.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

PGNCS

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:00 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 1):
I still checked-in on-line, printed my boarding pass, had no checked luggage, etc - so they wouldn't have known until it was time to close the door.

And 15 minutes or so before departure standbys (revenue first, then nonrev) got cleared.

The airlines are very good at math and know what's most cost effective for them.

777Jet

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 2):
No, it is not in an airlines best interest whatsoever to let you change for free. If that was the case, people would buy lots of tickets, block inventory, and then release seats at the last minute. Planes would fly out with far too many empty seats. Airlines needs to charge a heavy penalty for cancelling a ticket.

Common sense answer there but off topic; that was not the OP's question:

So.... I don't expect an airline to refund my canceled reservation, but wouldn't it make sense to offer people something nominal to give them an incentive to inform the airline that you're not showing up?

The topic was about incentives to inform the airline you will no-show.

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 4):
And 15 minutes or so before departure standbys (revenue first, then nonrev) got cleared.

Different procedures in different countries.

In some places it's harder for airlines to take advantage of gate no-shows, especially if the pax who wants the seat is still on the other side of security talking to a grumpy agent when the door is being closed.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

RJNUT

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:27 am

with those $110 throwaways, some of the standby "buddy pass" travelers are paying more!.. (and want your seat,thanks)!

just make sure you don't no- show out of order. ie. your outbound flight

northwestEWR

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:32 am

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 6):
with those $110 throwaways, some of the standby "buddy pass" travelers are paying more!.. (and want your seat,thanks)!

The seat will still fly, whether you tell them you're taking it or not--at D-15, the seats are released to nonrevs anyway. You're basically paying for an employee to fly when you no-show.

No, it's their best interest to sell you another whole ticket OR let you pay the change fee. Either way, they make money and potentially don't have to carry you as passenger.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

WearyDrover

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:36 am

Given that airlines often oversell with the expectation of there being no-shows why would they offer any incentives?

Show or no-show, they get to keep the money, including taxes in some countries because they can charge a fee for refunding the tax. That fee is often greater than the tax and by tax I mean government imposed taxes, not fuel surcharges.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

HPAEAA

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:37 am

Always wondered what the math really was on this - on one hand there is the argument that you provided but I've never heard anything about how much revenue are they forgoing by not allowing people to change and charging the new fare. I would think over time you could model the no show or last minute change factor that you mentioned into your oversell factor, but I can think of more than a few occasions where I would have paid 50 bucks or the higher fare to change my flight.

Does any one have access to Amtraks data on this on the NE corridor or WN for that matter? Amtrak is a far friendlier system (I've missed a few trains & it's not an issue, they'll even refund the difference if the new ticket is less).
1.4mm and counting...

stlAV8R

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:39 am

This is EXACTLY why airlines oversell flights. They factor in instances as such so they can profit the most. So essentially they sold a seat on the airplane that doesn't exist and kept the profits. Nobody lost but the customer. Airline wins and lives to fly another day.

hOMSaR

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:42 am

This is why airlines overbook flights. They know how many they expect to no-show. If your ticket cost more than the change fee, it's in your best interest to pay the fee (which usually isn't charged unil you rebook anyway). If it's less, then don't bother. Either way, it's no skin off the airline's back. They've already got your money.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 am

I'm not going to tell the airline anything, I'll just be a no-show.

In most cases, that means you've kissed your ticket value goodbye.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

IPFreely

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 9):
Does any one have access to Amtraks data on this on the NE corridor or WN for that matter? Amtrak is a far friendlier system (I've missed a few trains & it's not an issue, they'll even refund the difference if the new ticket is less).

Amtrak has never made a profit. And with U.S. taxpayers giving it $1.3 billion in subsidies every year, they can afford to be generous. After all, the refund you are getting was your money to being with.

HPAEAA

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:04 am

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 13):
Amtrak has never made a profit. And with U.S. taxpayers giving it $1.3 billion in subsidies every year, they can afford to be generous. After all, the refund you are getting was your money to being with.

Agree system wide, but in every publication I've seen regarding the NE corridor (WAS to BOS) states that it is the only profitable portion of the amtrak system even with Direct & indirect expenses. Regardless of the totality, they should have data on the effects of low to nonexistent change fees & the impact on overall revenue.
1.4mm and counting...

michman

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:13 am

I do the same. I even do the on-line check-in thing as well, so they won't know I'm not going to be on the plane until they close the door (depending on the country / check-in procedures) and maybe it's too late for them to sell my seat to somebody not physically at the gate area then... Why do I do it? Because I can. And, like you say, because there is no incentive not to.

On one airline I paid $110 for the one way flight. I couldn't make it and I knew the evening before. The change fee was $200. A ticket on that flight was now $450. I still checked-in on-line, printed my boarding pass, had no checked luggage, etc - so they wouldn't have known until it was time to close the door.

The odds of them reselling your ticket is pretty low. But the odds are pretty good you've inconvenienced more than a few passengers who were hoping to SDC. Nice job. Reminds of when my kids were young and the older one caught the younger one playing with one of his toys and proceeded to break one the younger one's toys as retribution. Fortunately, he matured and outgrew that phase.

nomadd22

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:45 am

I've tried notifying the airline when I'm going to miss a flight even though I won't get any money or credit back. They generally seem confused as to why I'm calling, like nobody has ever bothered to extend that courtesy before.
Anon

OB1504

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:56 am

I do the same thing, but not for the sake of screwing the airline. If the flight cancels or takes a substantial delay, I can get a full refund.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
In most cases, that means you've kissed your ticket value goodbye.

Which is not a problem if the value of the ticket is less than the change fee to begin with.

Earlier this year I had a $98 one-way to JFK, $200 change fee. I had to fly up a day earlier, so I bought a new ticket and let the other one go unused. I was never going to get those $98 back.

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:18 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 17):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):In most cases, that means you've kissed your ticket value goodbye.
Which is not a problem if the value of the ticket is less than the change fee to begin with.

Earlier this year I had a $98 one-way to JFK, $200 change fee. I had to fly up a day earlier, so I bought a new ticket and let the other one go unused. I was never going to get those $98 back.

Meaning the airline not only got to keep the $98 they'd already agreed was the value of blocking that seat, but then didn't have to deal with the cost of incremental fuel burn for actually carrying you.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mtnwest1979

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 am

I do the same. I even do the on-line check-in thing as well,

I did the same for a SkyBus flight BLI-CMH back in the day. Wondered if they paged me in the terminal. Since I was in BOI, doubt I could have heard it lol.
I figured for the $10 fare it cost, it was worth it.
Reason I didn't go: BOI-SEA on Horizon was oversold and I took the refund and comp ticket instead. Still came out ahead.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

RWA380

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:28 am

. Airlines needs to charge a heavy penalty for cancelling a ticket

No they do not, please, WN doesn't, hasn't, & doesn't plan to & they are making record profits. Just another reason the carriers can be greedy. If you look at it as an opportunity for the carrier to sell a last minute ticket on an otherwise sold out flight, then the revenue stream you are looking for comes into focus. Give us $25 bucks to sell a $1200 ticket, now that makes sense.

Quoting stlAV8R (Reply 10):
This is EXACTLY why airlines oversell flights.
Quoting HoMSaR (Reply 11):
This is why airlines overbook flights.

Yes, it is the reason airlines oversell on a percentage basis for each flight systemwide, All is fine until the holidays when flights are going out packed & those oversold to are left standing without any way to get to their destination. A poor, but necessary practice.

I agree with the OP, I recently no showed for a trip to NYC on AS using DL miles, because the tickets almost cost what the redeposit into my DL account was going to cost me.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 20):
Just another reason the carriers can be greedy.

Carriers place these change fees/penalties on discounted tickets for a reason; they don't want you to change. It costs less if you book and keep your ticket than if you start changing on a whim.

If you want to avoid change fees, carriers will gladly sell a ticket that allows more flexibility. It's just a higher-priced ticket.

airlineecon

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 am

Optimal ticket prices dynamically adjust with available inventory. Partial refunds that commit the passenger to give up seat would free up inventory and allow more seats to be sold at lower price, for overall greater revenue on a flight.

Overbooking is expected, but by clearing up uncertainty the airline can squeeze even more revenue. None of this matters if pax realize they won't fly at the last minute, but if pax can commit early to giving up ticket, there is value in that information to the airline.

Great post OP

ETinCaribe

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:05 am

I flew DFW-MIA today. There were over 25 standby pax. While anecdotal, airlines know how to squeeze rev from each seat, at times even from more than one person for a single seat.

aklrno

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 20):

. Airlines needs to charge a heavy penalty for cancelling a ticket

No they do not, please, WN doesn't, hasn't, & doesn't plan to & they are making record profits. Just another reason the carriers can be greedy. If you look at it as an opportunity for the carrier to sell a last minute ticket on an otherwise sold out flight, then the revenue stream you are looking for comes into focus. Give us $25 bucks to sell a $1200 ticket, now that makes sense.

I have changed flights on WN where the new flight was less than the original. I got a refund from WN. Sometimes a flight credit, sometimes a refund to my credit card, depending on the circumstances of the original ticket.

How does WN make money? Maybe because whenever I fly I check for a WN flight first.

DAL763ER

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 pm

That you hate airlines and (wrongly) think that they shouldn't make so much money is one thing. But to potentially inconvenience other passengers because of whatever games you like playing is rude, selfish and inconsiderate. What's wrong with the airline selling your seat? Why should you get an incentive to cancel? I've always cancelled flights when I couldn't make them because it's the right thing to do. Personally I think people that do this often should be penalized. If you know you can't make your flight, cancel it. If you have already checked in, call to get them to offload you.

You'd think so!

Airlines know what they're doing, they don't need armchair CEOs telling them what would make them more money.

Quoting michman (Reply 15):
The odds of them reselling your ticket is pretty low. But the odds are pretty good you've inconvenienced more than a few passengers who were hoping to SDC. Nice job. Reminds of when my kids were young and the older one caught the younger one playing with one of his toys and proceeded to break one the younger one's toys as retribution. Fortunately, he matured and outgrew that phase.

Exactly.

777Jet

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:44 am

But the odds are pretty good you've inconvenienced more than a few passengers who were hoping to SDC. Nice job.

And that kind of sense of entitlement attitude some people have is another reason why.

I am not inconveniencing anybody by not showing up for a seat that I paid for in full.

Perhaps the airline is inconveniencing those poor human beings for not having any kind of policy in place that allows things to get to that stage?

You do know that with *some* airlines after you check-in online and print your boarding pass you can't go back online to cancel - a phone call is the only way to cancel after that point - with some airlines. And why would I inconvenience myself by waiting on hold for 30mins on average to just to say I'm not going to show up when there is no incentive to?

Reminds of when my kids were young and the older one caught the younger one playing with one of his toys and proceeded to break one the younger one's toys as retribution. Fortunately, he matured and outgrew that phase.

Sorry to hear he had those kind of issues to begin with.

I wonder which parent he inherited them from?

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 17):
I do the same thing, but not for the sake of screwing the airline. If the flight cancels or takes a substantial delay, I can get a full refund.

Another valid point and another reason to check-in and not inform the airline if you will no-show on certain ticket types.

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 19):
did the same for a SkyBus flight BLI-CMH back in the day. Wondered if they paged me in the terminal.
Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 19):
I figured for the $10 fare it cost, it was worth it.

Some airlines do. I tried it once - but not intentionally.

I was booked on a flight alone. Later my wife got leave from work to come with me on the trip. But for her to get a ticket on that carrier it was expensive and we could get two tickets for a much better price on a different carrier - the flight we went on was one hour later so I'd be in the terminal area anyway to see what happens with my original flight. I checked in online for both flights because I wanted to see if I would get paged for no showing on my original booking - and I did get paged - 3 times  
Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 25):
That you hate airlines and (wrongly) think that they shouldn't make so much money is one thing. But to potentially inconvenience other passengers because of whatever games you like playing is rude, selfish and inconsiderate. What's wrong with the airline selling your seat? Why should you get an incentive to cancel? I've always cancelled flights when I couldn't make them because it's the right thing to do. Personally I think people that do this often should be penalized. If you know you can't make your flight, cancel it. If you have already checked in, call to get them to offload you.

First of all, I don't hate airlines. Second, I think they should make money, which is the point of this topic which is implying: perhaps airlines can make more money if there is some kind of incentive for no showing pax to inform them so they can sell the seat in advance for more than perhaps giving it away to a non rev at the gate for nothing? There is nothing wrong with the airline selling my seat, but why should I waste my time on hold on the phone or go out of my way to inform them when there is no incentive to? Just doing nothing inconveniences me less. People who have paid in full for a seat on a plane are neither selfish nor rude, and are not inconveniencing others, by not going out of their way to inform the airline that they are not turning up when they don't have to. If the cheap pax who wait around gates until the last minute don't like it they can buy a full priced ticket in advance.

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 25):
Airlines know what they're doing, they don't need armchair CEOs telling them what would make them more money.

Passengers who know that they aren't going to turn up for a flight know what they are doing, they don't need armchair dictators telling them what to do  

747m8te

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:55 am

I know many carriers (mainly international departures) will offload any internet checked pax who haven't been sighted by check-in close (as advised on the online checkin process to present themselves at checkin or at the gate for self print boarding pass passengers by said time for document verification, something that can't just be left until last minute anyway). So they will offload and accept any standby travellers. Internet no-show passengers are common so they are used to managing it, if said pax hasn't been seen they will do what they can to find the passenger by paging, checking lounges, security...but if no sight and if passenger has failed to show as advised during online process they lose their seat, simple!

That is assuming the passengers are there to resell tickets to of course. Depends how far in advanced we are talking, if it is only a few days out, and the airline was previously full, other passengers who may have wanted to travel to that destination on that day may have already made other plans with other carriers. If the airline were to say for example in the last few days leading up to the flight get a series of cancellations, they refund the fares and no new passenger buy tickets they are now potentially missing out in lost revenue.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

777Jet

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:16 am

Quoting 747m8te (Reply 27):
I know many carriers (mainly international departures) will offload any internet checked pax who haven't been sighted by check-in close (as advised on the online checkin process to present themselves at checkin or at the gate for self print boarding pass passengers by said time for document verification, something that can't just be left until last minute anyway).

Easier to handle with Intl flights, especially with deadlines like 60-90 mins to present in person at a check-in desk even if already holding a bp and having no checked baggage. Plenty of time to give or sell seats to others with that much time before departure. Much different to domestic flights when you don't even need to deal with a person face to face until the agent scans your bp at the gate just prior to boarding.

Quoting 747m8te (Reply 27):
If the airline were to say for example in the last few days leading up to the flight get a series of cancellations, they refund the fares and no new passenger buy tickets they are now potentially missing out in lost revenue.

Big difference between airlines giving refunds (which they shouldn't anyway unless it is allowed in the fare type) and airlines providing some kind of incentive for no-shows to make the effort to inform them they won't be traveling.

Given that airlines overbook anyway so some people aren't guaranteed a seat on a flight that they paid for in full anyway (which is screwing some people around) I don't see why pax should bother informing the airline that they will no show if they don't have to or have no incentive to do so.

diverted

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:38 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 28):
Big difference between airlines giving refunds (which they shouldn't anyway unless it is allowed in the fare type) and airlines providing some kind of incentive for no-shows to make the effort to inform them they won't be traveling. Given that airlines overbook anyway so some people aren't guaranteed a seat on a flight that they paid for in full anyway (which is screwing some people around) I don't see why pax should bother informing the airline that they will no show if they don't have to or have no incentive to do so.

I can see both sides of this. Ticket/Gate agent was my first airline job. From the "at work" standpoint, it can be a minor inconvenience, as there's always someone off to the side going "If they don't show up can I have their seat" blah blah

From the non-rev standpoint...gate noshows are a godsend.

Odds are your seat is gonna have someone in it anyways. Just don't bother checking in, and make the staff's life easier. No one is going to take your seat until after check-in's closed anyways, so by checkin in you're just putting the gate staff into a time crunch as they have to remove you/replace you right before departure as opposed to right after check-in cutoff.

I guess if you feel you're sticking it to the airlines, go for it. Just let me know which flights you're gonna noshow so I know which ones are safe  

777Jet

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 29):
I guess if you feel you're sticking it to the airlines, go for it. Just let me know which flights you're gonna noshow so I know which ones are safe

Given I only fly on a few dozen flights each year, and I've only ever no-showed about 3 or so times, I suspect you have a good chance of being on a safe flight anyway  

BTW I never fly in to or out of Sharm el-Sheikh so if you want a guarantee to be on a 'safe flight' then go for that area  

FWIW, it's not about sticking it to the airlines. It's more about I don't have to and can't be bothered informing them and there is no incentive for me to put in the effort to inform them anyway, and, like mentioned, if I'm checked in and the flight gets cancelled I might get something out of it - something I wouldn't get if I told them to just cancel my booking.

WearyDrover

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:55 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 30):

In an earlier post you wrote that you do it because you can, even going so far as checking in when you already know that you won't be flying. That does appear petty.

It's different if you check in and something happens that prevents travel: car accident, rescheduled meeting, etc. But what do you gain by spending time connecting to the internet and checking in?

I can appreciate not phoning and sitting on hold for 30 minutes, specially with airlines who charge by the minute to take the call.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:31 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 29):
don't bother checking in, and make the staff's life easier.

....except for those who work in Revenue Management.  

DAL763ER

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 26):
First of all, I don't hate airlines. Second, I think they should make money, which is the point of this topic which is implying: perhaps airlines can make more money if there is some kind of incentive for no showing pax to inform them so they can sell the seat in advance for more than perhaps giving it away to a non rev at the gate for nothing? There is nothing wrong with the airline selling my seat, but why should I waste my time on hold on the phone or go out of my way to inform them when there is no incentive to? Just doing nothing inconveniences me less. People who have paid in full for a seat on a plane are neither selfish nor rude, and are not inconveniencing others, by not going out of their way to inform the airline that they are not turning up when they don't have to. If the cheap pax who wait around gates until the last minute don't like it they can buy a full priced ticket in advance.

What I am referring to is the fact that you checked into a flight despite knowing that you're not going to make it with no concern for the people you're inconveniencing (i.e, passengers being delayed having to potentially wait for you, gate agents not knowing their full numbers until late etc.)

777Jet

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 31):
But what do you gain by spending time connecting to the internet and checking in?

I can appreciate not phoning and sitting on hold for 30 minutes, specially with airlines who charge by the minute to take the call.

Ummmm my phone is always connected to the internet and to complete an online check-in on my phone takes less than a minute and my bp downloads to my phone. I can do this whilst sitting on the toilet, catching a bus home from work, waiting in line at KFC, etc. There is even enough time to do online check-in on my phone whilst waiting for the pedestrian light to go green before walking across a busy intersection. Waiting on hold on the phone to speak to a real person takes a lot longer and can get costly.

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 31):
In an earlier post you wrote that you do it because you can, even going so far as checking in when you already know that you won't be flying. That does appear petty.
Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 33):
What I am referring to is the fact that you checked into a flight despite knowing that you're not going to make it with no concern for the people you're inconveniencing (i.e, passengers being delayed having to potentially wait for you, gate agents not knowing their full numbers until late etc.)

Well it just so happens that my plans could change again. I have paid for a seat of that flight so I might as well at least check-in for the flight just in case my plans change again and I can make it. I'm pretty sure if I called the airline to cancel the booking or 48hr in advance online check-in because I'm pretty sure I can't make it but then call back hours before the flight saying I can now make it because my plans have changed again they will laugh at me. Also, if I'm checked in and the flight gets cancelled I get a refund. Like I said, I do this because there is no incentive not to and because I can - it is allowed. I don't lose anything by checking-in but I might regret not checking if the flight gets cancelled and I missed out on a refund or my plans change at the last minute and I need that seat that I paid for.

I'll tell you something else I've done before.

I am sometimes unable to go on overnight or weekend trips. Instead of just letting the booking go or cancelling without refund, I just find somebody at work who is happy to use the flight and tell them the PNR and tell them to go. And it works. Why? Because if you online check-in and have no bags to check for a domestic flight here, you will not have your ID checked at several airports here. My friend just presents the boarding pass with my name on it, the gate agent scans it, and on the plane he goes! Having said that, he must look like somebody with my name   I tell you that should not be allowed to happen, but security here is a joke. Nobody at the security scanners check boarding passes whenever I go airside for a domestic flight, and when boarding the plane they never check my ID to match it to a boarding pass. In fact, for all the domestic flights I take, I've never seen anybody have ID matched to a boarding pass. Pathetic. So, why not just let a friend or family member take advantage of my flights?

XAM2175

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 34):
Because if you online check-in and have no bags to check for a domestic flight here, you will not have your ID checked at several airports here.

Who gets their ID checked at in-person check-in in Australia?

It's also worth pointing out for readers overseas that security policy for flights operating from domestic terminals here is that persons who aren't flying may enter the airside area.

777Jet

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:25 am

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 35):
Who gets their ID checked at in-person check-in in Australia?

Whilst I usually check-in online and either print my bp or download it to my phone, the several times I haven't checked in online and have needed to see a check-in agent in person at the ariport, or needed to see a check-in agent just to get my bp printed, or needed to see an agent to just drop off checked luggage, I've always had my ID checked.

What concerns me about the usual lack of ID checking is that pretty much anyone with a boarding pass that scans can get on the plane. I could be seated next to somebody on a 'no fly list' in another country, or a terrorist...

XAM2175

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Huh, I've checked-in in-person on several occasions over the last few years with nothing more than my itinerary and FF card.

I can't see why checking ID at physical check-in for domestic flights is worth the effort here since it can be avoided where it does happen by checking-in by any other means.

Personally also I don't buy in all that much to no-fly lists but I can respect where you're coming from.

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:47 pm

I have had my ID checked twice, and both times I was shocked that they wanted to see it. For domestic flights I only carry my frequent flyer card, even an itinerary is just a waste of paper.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

777Jet

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:14 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 38):
I have had my ID checked twice, and both times I was shocked that they wanted to see it.

'Shocked' LOL.

I can't imagine how you would have felt if they used the UV light on your ID to check its authenticity like they do in the USA  Wow!

I really hope it doesn't take an unpleasant event to make airlines and authorities in Australia get more serious about who is actually flying.