jeffh747
Topic Author

Travel Through ORD In Winter With AA

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:34 am

Hey fellow a.netters!
I have already outlined a brief itinerary to travel on the Americans Airlines 787. My proposed itinerary goes as follows:
MIA-ORD (763)
ORD-DFW (787)

DFW-ORD (787)
ORD-MIA (737)

The best fares for this trip is in January, however I am concerned about the weather and one of the Dreamliner flights being possibly canceled due snow or other inclement weather. I was thinking about traveling sometime in February or March, however I am concerned also, about booking it far in advance and one of the 787 flights being swapped.
So here are the two questions I have:
A) What weekends in January tend to have the worst weather in ORD?
B) If I do book it far in advance, how often to the 787 flights between ORD and DFW tend to get swapped?

Any help is appreciated!
Jeff
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

masgniw

RE: Travel Through ORD In Winter With AA

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 am

I lived in Chicago for 8 years, flying a few times every single winter. I'll answer what I can about the weather

Simple answer here: it's a complete crapshoot. January weather is tough but there's absolutely no way in predicting which weekend will be better than another more than a week or so out. If you wait until Feb or Mar, you're not necessarily any better off. The snowy season is in play then as well.

Just find a weekend, book it, and keep those fingers crossed.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting jeffh747 (Thread starter):

That's an absolutely impossible question to answer for any city, anywhere in the world. Weather patterns, jet streams and fronts are constantly moving/changing everyday, forever.
Whatever

AAlaxfan

Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Best weekends are Fridays 11:00 am to Monday 11:00 am. Worst weekends are Friday 11:01 am to Monday 11:01 am.   
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

rta

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Like the mess that was at O'hare on Saturday (and continues to have rippling effects today), there's no way to predict what will happen. Only book as far as AA has the flight in the timetable, or the chance of an equipment swap would be quite high.

LittleFokker

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:28 am

Any weekend between December and March has equal likelyhood of being impacted by weather. With the opening of 10R-28L back in October, ORD now has 5 east-west runways and a much higher arrival capacity, especially in poor weather. Last Wednesday had more cancellations and delays than last Saturday's snow due to strong winds out of the south making all 5 east-west runways unusable and rendering the airport to a single arrival runway at times. Quantity of snow also plays into how many planes ORD can handle. Runways need to be closed alternatively in order to plow them, so that's reduced capacity - then there also is a lack of space between taxiways and runways to plow snow to. Bottom line - the more snow, the fewer planes it can handle.

For what it's worth, weather prognosticators are claiming that due to El Nino, ORD is supposed to have a relatively mild winter.

B) If I do book it far in advance, how often to the 787 flights between ORD and DFW tend to get swapped?

Aircraft substitution on the flight is unlikely - the 787 only shares cockpit commonality with the 777, and I don't think AA has been using many 777s on domestic flights lately. If they swap to any other aircraft type, then they have to find new pilots to fly it.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

csturdiv

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:55 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 5):
For what it's worth, weather prognosticators are claiming that due to El Nino, ORD is supposed to have a relatively mild winter.

Even with that prediction, I am still avoiding ORD in December/January. I am flying back to the US for Christmas and New Years next month and toyed with the idea of flying to ORD to see friends for New Years Eve. I am flying back to SYD on the 2nd. I did not want to risk getting stuck in ORD due to snow. My last winter in Chicago (2013) was very snowy and there was a big storm on NYE. I opted to go to ORD later in the year in June when I am pretty much sure there will not be a chance of snow screwing things up.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

b777a340fan

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:03 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 2):
That's an absolutely impossible question to answer for any city, anywhere in the world.

I don't think that's the OP's question. Simply put, ORD weather during winter time is to be avoided. I am a UAL ff and always route myself through IAH or SFO. The extra cost is worth the higher possibility of being stranded for days. My recommendation would be to avoid it if possible. If money is an issue, just book ORD and risk it. Note that they will re-route you, if possible. That could be the next flight or couple days depending on weather. Also note that airlines don't cover hotel expenses in the event of inclement weather.

rugger

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 pm

You may also avoid the last weekend of the month too. If the month had problems earlier with travel you may have problems with crew time outs resulting in cancelled flights.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:57 am

Hey guys, thank you all for your suggestions and answers to my question, Considering all your inputs, I reworked my schedule so I can enjoy a weekend in Dallas , and taking the 787 on a day trip to ORD on one of the days.
I am very excited because I just booked this trip, and I will be getting two new aircraft types!
I will be getting my first 777s, when I fly MIA-DFW and return, as well as my first 787 Dreamliner, flying DFW-ORD and return!
I elected the daytrip to ORD with the 787s to limit my chances possibly being stuck there and missing out DFW entirely. Plus I figured that with booking 787s twice, I increase my chances at least somewhat!

Thank you for all your help,
Jeff
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B