rafflesking
Topic Author

Tipping Flight Attendants?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:37 pm

I'm currently descending into LAX from SFO.

The pax next to me handed back his last glass of whiskey and coke with a $5 bill in it. He told the flight attendant it was a tip for great service. The attendant didn't blink as she accepted.

While the service was great, I have never seen this before. Does tipping flight attendants happen with any frequency?

airportugal310

RE: Tipping Flight Attendants?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:49 pm

I "tip" with gifts like chocolate, and also because they are industry colleagues. And the free drinks are nice too, so there's that

I don't think I've seen money being handed out but anything is possible
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Amiga500

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 pm

I must be getting slightly dyslexic!

I read the thread title and thought "what kind of evil bollox trips flight attendants?"

Then entered the thread and discovered I need to go to the optician or something!

sw733

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:54 pm

I have never considered tipping a flight attendant...and I don't think I ever would.

thekorean

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 pm

I tip flight attendants on LCC if I bought something. Like FR.

Never on legacy.

ORDTLV2414

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Different countries have different customs on tipping. In the United States we have two types of service workers, those who are expected to be tipped and those who are not. Non-service workers usually are not tipped. This is complicated because a part of being an FA is service work but the main role is safety and that would of course not be tipped. Tipping flight attendants on United States flagged airplanes is not nesscary and may be insulting.

modesto2

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Back in my flying days for Continental Express, my flights attendants would occasionally receive tips when serving liquor. The tips usually didn't exceed $5, but it was a nice gesture and much appreciated by the FAs.

TheCommodore

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:25 am

Quoting Amiga500 (Reply 2):
I must be getting slightly dyslexic!

Me too.

How absurd.

They are there to serve passengers, thats there job. If they don't like it or the moneys no good, look for another job that pays better.

No tip from me I'm afraid !
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

OB1504

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:31 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 1):
I "tip" with gifts like chocolate, and also because they are industry colleagues. And the free drinks are nice too, so there's that

I do the same with chocolate. I don't even think the flight attendants on my primary airline are allowed to accept cash tips; the agents certainly aren't.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 7):
They are there to serve passengers, thats there job. If they don't like it or the moneys no good, look for another job that pays better.

No American flight attendant expects a tip. It is not a tipped position and tipping is extremely uncommon, hence this thread.

masgniw

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:00 am

If you buy something on board Frontier Airlines, they swipe your card on their handheld device and hand the device to you to sign. You are also offered a tip option when you sign, which gives you a few choices based on a percentage of your purchase.

I don't know if the flight attendants of Frontier "expect" that you tip, but it was definitely an awkward exchange.

Are they paying Frontier flight attendants so poorly that they depend on tips?

poolkeeper

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 am

In many airlines it is forbidden to accept a tip and will get you fired if discovered.

They are controllers flying and testing the crew with i.e. tip to see if they do follow the protocol.

eugdjinn

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:17 am

Tightwads.

Let's just cover some facts.

Your flight attendant is on the clock truly only when the aircraft door is closed. Got that? That means, when you walk on the plane at the Jetway, and they say "Hello," they are on their own time. Yes, really. When you take your sweet time gathering your things and getting off the plane at your destination and they are smiling and wishing you a good evening, again, they are on their own time.

Think about that.

So yes, while they make decent money in the air, when that door opens, they are off the clock.

They aren't there primarily to pour you a drink. They kill time with that. They are there to evacuate that plane in the mandated 90 seconds. And every single time they close that door, that's what they are thinking, 'Can I get this group off this plane that fast?' And 'who are my biggest obstacles?' Really.

Think about that.

They may be on a four-day trip away from home, and only getting paid for 25 hours of that time.

Think about that. The rest of their time away, they will be reimbursed somewhere between $1.50 and $2.00 an hour for their meals and expenses. Their hotel rooms are paid for, but vary wildly in quality, security and amenities.

They are not necessarily given meals, or meal time, at all. (And can be expected to work 10 hours with no time to eat.)

They may not tell you any of this, ever, its forbidden.

They can be called at all hours, and given two hours to report to the airport looking perfect and ready to go for up to four days and they still answer, "absolutely."

Many of them make less that $17,000 their first year out. Some won't make more than $20,000 for several years. Many don't survive without family support. The rotating schedules are hard on their health, friendships, families and relationships. Those that don't love it, don't last more than a year.

Do they deserve a few extra dollars when their smile and grace leaves you smiling? ABSOLUTELY.

How do I know this? I married one.

Viscount724

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:36 am

They are there to serve passengers, that's their job.

Their primary role is your safety. In-flight service is secondary. To me, tipping a flight attendant is like tipping a firefighter, paramedic, nurse or other person trained to take care of you in an emergency.

I have no problem tipping true service staff and have been doing so for decades but I don't think it's appropriate to tip flight attendants. Many airlines used to have a policy prohibiting tipping, except for skycaps who carried bags. Not sure if any still have such written policies covering tipping.

n92r03

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:39 am

In my opinion, tipping an FA is a personal choice. I don't do it all the time, but as I have grown older I enjoy giving much more. Last trip I was on I discreetly gave the FA at the door enough gift cards ($5 each at a coffee chain) for each cabin and flight crew member on board. She was genuinely appreciative and so were the other crew members. So what if it cost me $45 total.

One does not need a reason to do something nice.

B737900ER

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting eugdjinn (Reply 11):
Your flight attendant is on the clock truly only when the aircraft door is closed. Got that?

True, however see below.

So yes, while they make decent money in the air

They get compensated in the air enough to offset the time on the ground. If you averaged it out their wage would come to about 30 dollars an hour for all time worked

they will be reimbursed somewhere between $1.50 and $2.00 an hour for their meals and expenses.

Ok so an extra 48 dollars a day to eat, not counting provided crew meals.

They are not necessarily given meals, or meal time, at all. (And can be expected to work 10 hours with no time to eat.)

Yes they are. And you "meal time" is what you make it. A shift worker who takes lunch at 2:30 am can't say he doesn't get lunch because it's outside of normal hours.

they deserve a few extra dollars when their smile and grace leaves you smiling? ABSOLUTELY.

No they don't. They get a fair compensation. Not like a waitress who gets paid 2 dollars an hour and depends on tips. And where do we stop? Do we tip the pilot for landing the plane? Do we tip the mechanic for fixing our seatbelt? Do we tip the gate agent for handing us a boasting pass?

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti flight attendant. They perform a duty that's required to operate the aircraft safely. But to tip them is out of line with service norms, not required, not expected, and they certainly are fairly compensated for what they do.

Prost

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:05 am

Officially we don't accept tips. And the gifts of candy/chocolate are very kind and considerate, but many of us are (insert fat ugly/old American Flight Attendant snark here) trying to watch what we eat. Whenever I travel on passes, I usually go to Bath & Body Works and buy some scented hand sanitizers or lotions in small sizes for the crew.

[Edited 2015-12-16 18:10:24]

prebennorholm

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:08 am

Many of them make less that $17,000 their first year out. Some won't make more than $20,000 for several years.
Do they deserve a few extra dollars when their smile and grace leaves you smiling? ABSOLUTELY.

Absolutely not! They deserve a lot more $$$ than a few extra, even when their smile and grace doesn't leave me smiling.

It is beyond me how it can happen that a full time job in a developed country can earn that little.

The rotating schedules are hard on their health, friendships, families and relationships.

That's the same as millions of other jobs, busdriver, nurse, etc. If you need a nine-to-five job, go and get one. There are endless millions of them as well.

If you don't like the smell in a bakery, don't become a baker, simple as that.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

32andBelow

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:11 am

Your flight attendant is on the clock truly only when the aircraft door is closed. Got that? That means, when you walk on the plane at the Jetway, and they say "Hello," they are on their own time. Yes, really. When you take your sweet time gathering your things and getting off the plane at your destination and they are smiling and wishing you a good evening, again, they are on their own time.

Think about that.

So yes, while they make decent money in the air, when that door opens, they are off the clock.

And flight crew hourly rates are adjusted according to that. Everyone knows the yearly pay when they sign up, it's just tracked differently. There are also daily, monthly, yearly guarantees so if you just fly 2 hours, you may get paid for more! Yes flight crew get paid under the railroad labor act. But there hourly is much higher! This is not a minimum wage job, maybe first year at spirit, but seasoned at America, get out of here.

dc10rules

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:20 am

I do something similar to member n92r03. I carry a $5 Starbucks gift card with me that I will use for a tip if I feel it's warranted. Far less awkward then a cash exchange in my opinion.

Cheers

incitatus

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:23 am

Think about that.

I hope you are not a flight attendant. According to your logic, if an emergency happens before the door is closed, you have no duty to do anything cos you are not "on the clock". If a fire breaks out, you can just let the passengers roast.

Think about that.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

B737900ER

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:30 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 16):
It is beyond me how it can happen that a full time job in a developed country can earn that little.

Salaries can vary widely for the same job based on certain factors, but let's say a first year FA as a regional airlines is making 20-25,000 a year. That would average out to about 9-10 dollars an hour, which is about average for unskilled labor in the US

777Jet

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:46 am

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Reply 5):
Different countries have different customs on tipping.
In the United States we have two types of service workers, those who are expected to be tipped and those who are not.
Non-service workers usually are not tipped.
This is complicated because a part of being an FA is service work but the main role is safety and that would of course not be tipped.
Tipping flight attendants on United States flagged airplanes is not nesscary and may be insulting.

Tipping "may be insulting"

Great!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Confuscius

Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:55 am

I "tip" with gifts like chocolate

I wouldn't mind giving a pretty stewardess a pearl necklace.
Ain't I a stinker?

777Jet

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 22):

I "tip" with gifts like chocolate

I'd do the same. If only TWA was still around so their pretty stewardesses could give out some TWA Tea  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

masgniw

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:14 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 23):
I'd do the same.

Annnnddddd you wildly missed the point.

777Jet

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:50 am

Quoting masgniw (Reply 24):
Annnnddddd you wildly missed the point.

Ummm yeah, right...  

Looks like you missed my point:

That some TWA Tea would result in me giving the pretty stewardess an ever bigger pearl necklace.

XAM2175

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:24 am

Your flight attendant is on the clock truly only when the aircraft door is closed. Got that?

Um, I hate to detract from the thread's US focus, but is this something that I should be taking into consideration when my obstacle-ness is being assessed by an FA on QF, or ZL, or BA, or CX, and so on?

bwaflyer

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:46 pm

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 26):
Um, I hate to detract from the thread's US focus, but is this something that I should be taking into consideration when my obstacle-ness is being assessed by an FA on QF, or ZL, or BA, or CX, and so on?

I think that's a very US based way of paying, I'm not sure it would even be legal in the UK. Generally in the UK, you would be paid a basic salary, and then earn allowances while flying. Duty days would include briefing times, boarding, disembarking and banking duty free / inflight sales money. This would also be factored into calculating total duty times for scheduling. My allowances and duty free comission make up about 50% of my total take home pay and I am certainly paid from check in until between 45 and 90 mins after chocks on (depending on the duty).

AR385

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Quoting rafflesking (Thread starter):
The pax next to me handed back his last glass of whiskey and coke with a $5 bill in it. He told the flight attendant it was a tip for great service. The attendant didn't blink as she accepted.

In my experience, the very, very few times I have seen that, the FA has returned the "money" nicely, but in a way that shows she/he is offended

Tipping flight attendants on United States flagged airplanes is not nesscary and may be insulting.

I have never done it. The times I´ve seen it done, they have not taken it and have shown they have been offended.

Tightwads.

That is uncalled for. The thread is an interesting one. But calling such disrespectful names to people that contribute with their opinions is not necessary. All due respect to your wife.

Quoting Prost (Reply 15):
And the gifts of candy/chocolate are very kind and considerate

Tastefully done, it is appreciated and a nice gesture

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 22):

That can be taken in a bad way.

The best tip you can give to an FA, is to ask him/her name and write a letter to whichever department is in charge of them and tell in that letter how great they were and what a great experience they made your otherwise routine and boring flight.

einsteinboricua

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:18 pm

They are there to serve passengers, thats there job.

That's secondary to their main role: safety. I've had flights where the FA spent their time sitting down. If we wanted anything we had to go up to the galley and ask for the item. of course, we're talking about a flight that was short so getting out the cart would have been pointless, but the thing is that while their job duties include servicing passengers, all that can take a backseat to safety. Go on a turbulent flight and you'll see that their priority isn't to ensure that all coach passengers have their own packet of peanuts, but that they're all seated while the plane stabilizes.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bgm

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:38 am

That means, when you walk on the plane at the Jetway, and they say "Hello," they are on their own time.

On US carriers, the FAs rarely greet people. Might get a glare or scowl if you're lucky. Kinda sets the tone for the rest of the flight.

Whenever I receive good service on an airline (and yes, it does occasionally happen on US carriers  ), I write a letter of compliment giving the flight number, and FA's name if I can.
OK boomer.