Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Why Is Check-in 24 Hours Prior To Departure?

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:28 am

So I've been ruminating on this with an upcoming flight (on an HA A330...no prizes for guessing where we're going!).

We can't check in until 24 hours prior to departure.

Why? Isn't the point of check-in to issue a boarding pass? Why can't this be done ahead of time? If there is a type change, then the boarding pass can be revoked or changed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

hoons90

RE: Why Is Check-in 24 Hours Prior To Departure?

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:31 am

Perhaps a technical limitation because there could be more than one flight with the same flight number within a larger window?
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

BreninTW

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:52 am

CX allows online check-in up to 48 hours ahead of departure. I guess that the window is pretty much up to the airline rather than any kind of technical limitation.

I imagine that the bulk of the reason is simply that at T-24 hours, the ticket holder can be relatively certain of actually travelling on the flight in question. If you allow check-in too far out, and something happens that means the ticket holder can't fly, it's too easy for people to forget that they have already checked in. That then messes with the airline's booking system (i.e., the system says "passenger X has checked in," but the passenger is nowhere to be found in the airport).

Viscount724

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:53 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
Why? Isn't the point of check-in to issue a boarding pass? Why can't this be done ahead of time? If there is a type change, then the boarding pass can be revoked or changed.

Reduces work and complications if check-in is done at a point when changes aren't likely. If you could check in 6 months before departure there's a good chance even the schedule might change a couple of times before the flight departs.

Also involves different computer systems and often transferring the data to other carriers or handling agents when the airline doesn't handle themselves which is the case at many airports.

Some airlines (LX is one) now give you the option to let the airline check you in automatically at the cutoff time and send you the boarding pass by e-mail or to your mobile phone etc., without you having to do anything yourself.

hoons90

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:56 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
Some airlines (LX is one) now give you the option to let the airline check you in automatically at the cutoff time and send you the boarding pass by e-mail or to your mobile phone etc., without you having to do anything yourself.

Air France took the liberty to check me in automatically for my FRA-CDG flight without even asking.

Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Viscount724

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 am

Also, at least on flights to/from the USA (and similar requirements by various other countries) the airline must send the passenger list to the TSB 72 hours before departure so they can check to see whether anyone is on a no-fly list and advise the airline accordingly to prevent them from checking in. In those cases I don't think they can legally check-in a passenger prior to getting that info back from the TSB.

Related excerpt below from a 2012 LH document covering the GDS procedures:

TSA requires all Airlines which operate a flight to/from the USA to send this data 72 hours for ticketed bookings before the scheduled flight. TSA will match it against the No Fly and Selectee watch lists. TSA will transmit the result of the matching process to the operating Airline at time of check-in, and if the match is negative (passenger is not on the watch lists) the boarding pass can be printed the passenger may start his journey and is allowed to travel to the USA. (Other existing entry requirements have to be observed as well)

In case of a positive match, Secure Flight will serve to prevent individuals on the No Fly List from boarding an aircraft, as well as to subject individuals on the Selectee List to enhanced screening (e.g. via TSA Call Center) or determine if they are permitted to board an aircraft, that is to start the booked journey.

hufftheweevil

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:02 am

Isn't the point of check-in to issue a boarding pass?

Not the way I've always thought about it. The point of check-in is to "check...in". It's the customer saying I remember I have a reservation with your airline, and I intend on using that reservation. Doing so earlier than 24-hours, in my mind, negates the whole "I remember my reservation" idea.

Also, gates are generally not assigned to flights until 24-48 hours prior to departure. And issuing a boarding pass without a boarding gate is a bit of a waste.

But some airlines disagree with me. I believe RyanAir and easyJet allow check-in before the 24-hour mark.
Huff

BreninTW

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 am

Quoting hufftheweevil (Reply 6):
Also, gates are generally not assigned to flights until 24-48 hours prior to departure. And issuing a boarding pass without a boarding gate is a bit of a waste.

In the case of CX, they simply say "check the gate information at the airport" -- there's no gate information from the online check in.

The same holds true for connecting flights -- there is no gate information on the boarding pass I get at the airport. I have to check to see which gate I depart from when I arrive at HKG.

notaxonrotax

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:51 am

And issuing a boarding pass without a boarding gate is a bit of a waste.

I received many, but MANY boarding passes without gate information; at numerous airports.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

usflyguy

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:21 am

in many airports in many countries, the gates aren't assigned until an hour or two before boarding begins.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

SCQ83

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:38 am

It depends on the carrier... Ryanair allows you 1 week (for free) and even earlier if you pay a fee.

Lofty

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 am

Check-in is a transaction which lets the Airline know you are intending to travel.

For example if people where given seats at booking then a oversold flight would have no seats left and would lead to longer processing time at close out.

Andy33

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:36 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 10):
It depends on the carrier... Ryanair allows you 1 week (for free) and even earlier if you pay a fee.

And EasyJet allow check-in 30 days before travel, without a fee.

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 am

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 9):
in many airports in many countries, the gates aren't assigned until an hour or two before boarding begins.

Isn't that more a UK thing? Whenever I've checked in, I always got a gate named in the boarding pass. And even though when I flew to EWR, the departure gate out of EWR changed, I always knew more than 2 hrs in advance which departure gate I was leaving from. Only exception is LHR, where the departure gate was announced one hour before departure (which I find pointless).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LGAviation

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:51 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 13):
Isn't that more a UK thing? Whenever I've checked in, I always got a gate named in the boarding pass. And even though when I flew to EWR, the departure gate out of EWR changed, I always knew more than 2 hrs in advance which departure gate I was leaving from. Only exception is LHR, where the departure gate was announced one hour before departure (which I find pointless).

Totally agree. I really hate LHR transfers because of the late gate announcements. However following the original argument, one could not issue boarding passes for LHR until sometimes after the actual boarding time. So back to the issue, are there technical issues involved or what makes Lufthansa group offer 23 hrs on LH mainline product and 72 hrs on EW?
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

HAL

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

on an HA A330...no prizes for guessing where we're going!

Care to divulge flight/date? Just wondering in case it's one of my flights.  

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

masi1157

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 am

Quoting LGAviation (Reply 14):
So back to the issue, are there technical issues involved or what makes Lufthansa group offer 23 hrs on LH mainline product and 72 hrs on EW?

EasyJet and Ryanair allow online check-in 30 days in advance. In case of EasyJet you can even check-in for the return flight 30 days before the outbound flight. Ryanair would only allows 30 days if you want to pay for reserved seats, but still 7 days if you don't.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

StTim

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 am

Not just UK that have late assigned gates. It happens at AMS as well.

BestWestern

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 am

It happens is most parts of the developed world, especially where you have common use gates.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Stratofish

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:17 pm

There is no general rule to it. The airlines get to decide when they let passengers check in.
As a rule of thumb: the more homogeneous the fleet of an airline the earlier they let you check in online.

Because:

If there is a type change, then the boarding pass can be revoked or changed.

The more diverse the fleet the more hesistant the airlines will be. They want to use the type (and configuration) of equipment that best fit the booking figures. A/C changes are quite a hassle for both the airline employees (especially for those who work for one of the many airlines that use one of the dreaded 1990ies DCS, not sure what HA uses though) and the passengers. For some reason passengers don't like to be reseated at the gate.  
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 19):
As a rule of thumb: the more homogeneous the fleet of an airline the earlier they let you check in online.

Sometimes however, online check-in doesn't work at all and you're referred to the counter for several reasons, such as document check before flying to the United States.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

blueflyer

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Air Canada's check-in window opens 24 hours before departure of the last flight in an itinerary with connection(s). Never understood why and sometimes quite annoying if the first flight is long-haul.

aviatorcraig

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Quoting hoons90 (Reply 4):
Air France took the liberty to check me in automatically for my FRA-CDG flight without even asking.

Surely one of the prime reasons for check-in is for you to answer the 'security' questions - Do you understand and agree you are not carrying prohibited items, did you pack your own case etc. etc. This declaration can be verbal to a check-in agent or on-line by accepting a check box, but without either surely the airline is on shaky ground legally if there is a problem and you then claim you didn't know?
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

roseflyer

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:59 pm

The idea of check in all together is outdated. It used to be the time when you exchanged your ticket for a boarding pass. Nowadays the difference between a ticket and a boarding pass is negligible on most airlines except some like Southwest which use boarding passes for boarding sequence. Many airlines are starting to automatically check people in for their return flights. I think it would have been eliminated all together if the no show rate wasn’t as high as it is. There still are quite a few people who don’t show up for their flights. That number is coming down and with technology evolving I think one day it may be sufficiently low that airlines could do away with check in.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

burnsie28

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Isn't it Federal Law in the U.S.? At one point NW had a 30hr check in window, then had to change to 24hrs.

zkncj

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm

AKL doesn't allocate gates until 45minutes before departure, so even printed boarding passes at the airport are gateless.

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 23):
The idea of check in all together is outdated.

Maybe so, but as long as airlines/nations require a visual document check (e.g. for entry visas or other security purposes) or security interviews before being allowed onboard a plane (e.g. when flying to TLV), you'll still be dealing with a check-in requirement in the airport. As I said before, online check-in won't always work, and I'm having my doubts as to automatic check-in, particularly when you were unable to allocate your seat during reservation. Auto check-in seems too arbitrary if you didn't voluntarily sign up for it.

[Edited 2016-01-11 08:59:55]

Boeing744

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 21):
Air Canada's check-in window opens 24 hours before departure of the last flight in an itinerary with connection(s). Never understood why and sometimes quite annoying if the first flight is long-haul.

This is indeed what their website says, but in practice I have been able to check in 24 hours before the departure of the first flight. Never had a problem with this.

RamblinMan

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm kind of surprised that many were wondering why you couldn't check in more than 24h in advance...personally I've been wondering why they would allow you to check in before physically arriving at the airport. As someone else noted, "checking in" means you are telling the airline that yes, I remember my reservation and I intend to use it. If I check in the day before but get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, what good does checking in actually do? Then they'll have to wait until final boarding call to realize that I'm not going to make it.

r2rho

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Only exception is LHR, where the departure gate was announced one hour before departure (which I find pointless).

It is a common habit in the UK (and some other airports - it seems BCN is adopting it). The gate is very much known, but its announcement is pruposedly delayed in order to keep you shopping. In the UK, many airport layouts favor this, having one large main shopping hall and lacking any facilities at the gate. As a passenger, I hate it, but the airport shareholders seem to love it...

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 15):

Care to divulge flight/date? Just wondering in case it's one of my flights.

Check your PMs  Smile

[Edited 2016-01-11 10:45:34]
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning
Topic Author

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 28):

I'm kind of surprised that many were wondering why you couldn't check in more than 24h in advance...personally I've been wondering why they would allow you to check in before physically arriving at the airport

Agreed, but since they do, it can't possibly be to confirm that you will actually be on the flight. The only reason I can glean is that it is for the purposes of issuing a boarding pass.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

blueflyer

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 27):
This is indeed what their website says, but in practice I have been able to check in 24 hours before the departure of the first flight. Never had a problem with this.

Then I want to know how you do it! I won't claim that it is enforced to the minute and I may have been able to check in 25 hours before departure of my last flight, but I have never been successful checking-in anywhere near 24 hours before departure of the first flight!

DAL763ER

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Flights in Europe rarely have gates announced more than an hour or so before departure.

Only exception is LHR, where the departure gate was announced one hour before departure (which I find pointless).
Quoting LGAviation (Reply 14):
Totally agree. I really hate LHR transfers because of the late gate announcements. However following the original argument, one could not issue boarding passes for LHR until sometimes after the actual boarding time. So back to the issue, are there technical issues involved or what makes Lufthansa group offer 23 hrs on LH mainline product and 72 hrs on EW?

Why does it matter when you find out the gate? They tell you when it's displayed so you can mind your own business until then (perhaps even 5-10 minutes more). They wouldn't know what the gate is until the plane arrives from its last flight.

ytz

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm kind of surprised that many were wondering why you couldn't check in more than 24h in advance...personally I've been wondering why they would allow you to check in before physically arriving at the airport. As someone else noted, "checking in" means you are telling the airline that yes, I remember my reservation and I intend to use it. If I check in the day before but get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, what good does checking in actually do? Then they'll have to wait until final boarding call to realize that I'm not going to make it.

This. Unless I have/want to pick a seat, I rarely ever bother with online check-in. Just check-in at the airport and print boarding pass. Makes zero difference to me or the airline. Plus I like having a boarding card.

Now, if airlines actually work Google (they already have Passbook on Apple) and get tickets on my androind phone in a hassle free format (not pdf or an email), and I can head straight to bag drop or security, I'll bother with online check-in. Otherwise, the time and hassle involved make no difference.

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Quoting DAL763ER (Reply 33):
Why does it matter when you find out the gate?

In an airport like LHR, it matters a lot, especially when you're in T5. We're talking about making it to the gate in time, when e.g. you have to change from T5A to T5C. Not everyone knows the airport inside and out. In my case, even when I connected through T5A, last time I was in LHR, it was still a long way from where I was near security to my gate, and not knowing T5A, I feared it would be a very long walk across the terminal. Do that in small airports, where you don't have to walk long distances or change terminals, not in big airports with multiple terminals and at times often complicated terminal transfers.

On the flipside, when I connected via EWR, the boarding pass said that the departure gate could change. So while a gate was named on the boarding pass, I knew I had to doublecheck the departures board and was easily able to find my final departure gate. Only short notice changes were announced via PA. By comparison, of all the big airports I've been, DFW, EWR and FRA are much more customer friendly in that regard than LHR or any other airport that has this silly rule of announcing the gate 60 minutes prior to departure. Not idea about AMS, last time I was there, I was too little to remember the overall experience.

Polot

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Why does it matter when you find out the gate? They tell you when it's displayed so you can mind your own business until then (perhaps even 5-10 minutes more). They wouldn't know what the gate is until the plane arrives from its last flight.

It is annoying when all you want to do is just sit and relax before your flight. Not knowing when where your gate is does create some extra anxiety for some passengers, as they become constantly afraid that they will miss the flight.

Also "they" certainly know what gate the flight will depart from well before the aircraft arrives from its previous flight (well, maybe not LHR as there are members here insistent that that is impossible at LHR for some reason despite being no problem as basically every other airport world wide of similar size or larger , but that would come down to BA/LHR incompetence).

a380787

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 34):

This. Unless I have/want to pick a seat, I rarely ever bother with online check-in. Just check-in at the airport and print boarding pass. Makes zero difference to me or the airline. Plus I like having a boarding card.

IIRC if a flight is oversold, those with lowest fare class, lowest status, and latest check in would risk the highest chance of IDB (unless your goal is to grab that IDB voucher).

I don't like the LHR approach because you're forced to stay within a very crowded duty free shopping area and have to constantly check when your gate is announced. As for airlines not knowing the exact gates, that's hardly the case. Airport ops plan gates at least a day in advance. And gate swaps are rare to begin with (with a poor layout like LHR, I understand the need for not announcing the gates)

Personally I like advanced gate announcements so I have the option to determine whether I want to stroll around or just relax at the benches close to the gate.

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 24):
Isn't it Federal Law in the U.S.? At one point NW had a 30hr check in window, then had to change to 24hrs.

I believe that's the case. CX can check in you up to 48 hours prior, but for US bound flights, they can issue you the BP only within the 24 window.

But I believe the law is only 24 hr within your first leg. They would freely check you in the subsequent connections. As for BP issuance, UA issues all BPs at once while AA's app can only issue individual segments when those reach within the 24 window.

lhrnue

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 35):
In an airport like LHR, it matters a lot, especially when you're in T5. We're talking about making it to the gate in time, when e.g. you have to change from T5A to T5C. Not everyone knows the airport inside and out. In my case, even when I connected through T5A, last time I was in LHR, it was still a long way from where I was near security to my gate, and not knowing T5A, I feared it would be a very long walk across the terminal. Do that in small airports, where you don't have to walk long distances or change terminals, not in big airports with multiple terminals and at times often complicated terminal transfers.

I don't get it. They are not announcing and closing the gate within 5 minutes.
Never had an issue at LHR T5 with gate announcements ... apart from delayed announcement due to flight delays.

RamblinMan

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 34):
Unless I have/want to pick a seat, I rarely ever bother with online check-in. Just check-in at the airport and print boarding pass.

Be careful then, if you ever fly an airline like NK, or it winds up costing you an extra $2 to $10.

avek00

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm

The limitation can be explained by a varied mix of government data requirements, the need to minimize complications from issues such as equipment substitutions, and the reality that a sizable number of passengers change or cancel their plans in the final 72 hour run-up to departure.
Live life to the fullest.

LTU932

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Quoting lhrnue (Reply 38):
They are not announcing and closing the gate within 5 minutes

Maybe you personally don't have a problem with that, because that's how you know it, but apart from what I already said, let me answer with this as well:

Quoting polot (Reply 36):
It is annoying when all you want to do is just sit and relax before your flight. Not knowing when where your gate is does create some extra anxiety for some passengers, as they become constantly afraid that they will miss the flight.

Personally, I don't like to be forced to do shopping at the airport. I go eat, maybe casually buy something or just roam around the terminal and do some spotting. That's it. I'm sure even the casual traveller doesn't like being forced to shopping just because whatever the operator of any UK airport is doesn't want people to go to their departure gates ahead of time, especially at LHR.

Viscount724

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 24):
At one point NW had a 30hr check in window, then had to change to 24hrs.
Quoting avek00 (Reply 40):

The limitation can be explained by a varied mix of government data requirements, the need to minimize complications from issues such as equipment substitutions, and the reality that a sizable number of passengers change or cancel their plans in the final 72 hour run-up to departure.

For non-LCC carriers within Europe, they also don't know how many rows will be needed for business class until fairly close to the travel date, so can't finalize the size of the Y cabin until then. I've often noticed on KLM that when I select a Y class seat at time of booking, the forward half dozen rows are tentatively restricted to business class, but at the time of check in, many of those rows are now part of the Y class cabin (and sold at the modest "Economy Comfort" surcharge) because there may then only be 2 or 3 rows assigned to business class.

raaadek

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:37 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 15):

Modern airport is a mall, people tend to run for the gate as soon as they know it and wait there. Delay that and they will spend more money wandering around out of pure boredom. Late gate announcement simply creates more profit for the airport and is as much dictated by commercial reasons as airline ops. At LHR T5, BA customer service can tell you your gate number way ahead of it being displayed on FIDS.

glbltrvlr

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 23):
The idea of check in all together is outdated. It used to be the time when you exchanged your ticket for a boarding pass. Nowadays the difference between a ticket and a boarding pass is negligible on most airlines except some like Southwest which use boarding passes for boarding sequence. Many airlines are starting to automatically check people in for their return flights. I think it would have been eliminated all together if the no show rate wasn’t as high as it is.

This. In addition, it also has it's roots in the limitations of early automation systems. It wasn't that long ago when you had to re-confirm the return leg of an international trip. That's gone by the wayside and United definitely offers auto check-in for their return domestic flights now.

pa747sp

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 am

Many legacy carriers operate Departure Control Systems (DCS - check in systems) that only create flight at - 24 hours. Information from the reservation system is shot-through to the DCS system. This is a limitation on opening checkin earlier.
A lot of LCCs bought off-the-shelf systems that were not based on legacy reservation systems, and therefore have a lot more flexibility regarding opening checkin early.
Nothing seems as good since the VC10.

WearyDrover

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:44 am

I've been wondering why they would allow you to check in before physically arriving at the airport

It means the airline doesn't need to pay for the use of as many check-in desks or can install fewer selfcheck terminals. It enables those travelling without luggage to bypass check-in altogether at the airport, reducing queues. While airlines often promote technology as benefitting the passenger by making things easier (which it can do) the aim is to reduce costs.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes