Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

S75752
Topic Author

Your Preferred Segment Length(s)?

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Many times even when there is a nonstop flight that fits my timing, pricing, and routing needs, I might prefer to take a flight that splits that journey in half while adding relatively flight time (plus some amount of stop time). Reasons may simply be to stretch my legs, or to get food in the airport stop in between rather than the expensive prices (or no food at all) offered inflight.

Naturally, there are disadvantages, such as potentially lost luggage, missed or cancelled connections, customs transfers, and all of the like... But in an ideal world of aviation where those disadvantages do not exist...

What would you say are your ideal segment lengths for a medium haul or long haul journey that you take frequently or have taken a couple times before, with a max of one stop? (Even flights you haven't taken but still come to mind for you as examples of how you might divide your segments, if you'd choose to divide it at all versus the nonstop)

For example, my own preferred segment length for the 5-6 hour transcon is a maximum of 2.5-3.5 hours, for a fairly even split and time to get some food in between.

For a standard SFO - Europe flight, there isn't much of a half split possible, but the closest is probably a YEG or KEF stop for a good 3 - 9 split, aside from all the customs pain.

A flight that I haven't taken but would probably choose the 1 stop instead of the nonstop is any central or eastern US to HNL flight, given that the connection can be done without any customs stuff to split a long haul in to two shorter hauls, especially with the lack of complimentary food offerings on all but one of the flights. A stop in LAX or SFO cuts it right in half, and gives quite a good opportunity to get some food as well.

Birdwatching

RE: Your Preferred Segment Length(s)?

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:11 pm

I have found that the eastbound (redeye) transatlantics of 5-6 hours (NY to London, AMS, FRA) are painfully short to get any sort of sleep. What makes it worse is that the light stays on for an eternity after the food service, than somewhere over Ireland they turn the lights on again for breakfast. 3 hours of sleep in between,
I have always enjoyed the 9-10 hour night flights, like ATL-Europe.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

zrs70

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:21 pm

I really like very short hops. NYC-BOS.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Cipango

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 pm

When travelling to Asia or Australia I have often flown through AUH or DXB. However in the last year I have started doing euro layovers in FRA, ZRH, LHR and VIE. I have started to prefer doing one short hop with a long flight e.g. DUB-LHR-PVG, rather than two medium haul flights e.g. DUB-DXB-PVG.

In the last few years I have started being able to get some quality sleep on flights (even in Y) and overnight long-haul flights mean I arrive somewhat rested so I have started booking more direct long haul flights. If the price is right I'll happily settle for a stop in the gulf.

I find 1-2 hour flights quite annoying and they feel longer than 14 hour flights, as crazy as it sounds...
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

FlyingHollander

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 pm

For longhaul flights I don't like splitting the journey in half. When flying from AMS to the US West Coast, I hated having to have another 3-5 hour flight from ORD, JFK or ATL after already having had a Trans Atlantic flight. I much prefer the short hop to LHR and then arriving at my US destination. For the return trip that means I'm fresh for the longhaul flight and once in London only a short hop from home.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 pm

For the me, the longer the better as it maximises sleep time. An example is that I have flown Emirates' flights from Australia to Dubai that stop at SIN/BKK/KUL several times, and hate them. 7 hours is nowhere near enough time to get a decent rest, so having two short flights does nothing but make the journey longer and less relaxing. I now always opt for a non-stop flight.

If you're asking what the "optimal" flight time is, I'd say 11-15 hours.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

rta

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:34 pm

In general, I don't like flights over 8-9 hours. If the traveling distance is long enough, I usually prefer breaking my flights as evenly as possible. For example, I'd rather do MIA-LAX-HNL over MIA-ATL-HNL. Or FLL-SFO-NRT over FLL-EWR-NRT.

But this all depends on other factors as well - such as the class I'm traveling in or whether the flight is overnight.

StlHsvSfoSan

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:26 pm

For domestic flights, I like flights under two hours (my favorite is probably SFO-SAN at 1 hour 15 minutes. As far as intercontinental flights, anything less than about 8 hours (on an overnight flight) makes it hard to get any sleep.

roseflyer

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

For long haul, I usually am in business class and seek out the longest flight duration possible for the long haul flight. I personally prefer to have a long flight because it allows time to eat and sleep. Short red eye flights that are 6-7 hours don't give enough time to sleep. If flying to Europe from the west coast of the United States, I always try to fly nonstop to Europe from the west coast and would avoid a stop in the Midwest or East Coast.

For transcon flights, again I prefer nonstop even though I usually fly them in economy. I want to get where I am going fastest.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

ZKCIF

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm

i love anything above 1000nm, this is the 'breakthrough' number to me

penguins

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 pm

I would say LAX-SFO given the beautiful scenery and short flying time, but the route has so many cancelations I can't do so in good faith.

flymia

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:33 am

As long as I am in the air I am happy.

Honestly, I find the trips to start a trip, whether business or vacation, the longer the better. Obviously longer flights mean farther destinations. As long as its a comfortable seat, with some IFE and some drinks I am happy. For example flying FLL-SFO over 5 hours, loved the flight, was on B6 with good leg room, live tv, a nice afternoon of flying over the U.S.

Coming home a shorter flight closer to 4 hours, not as great, wanted to get home already so I could start the next day as the trip was over.

I enjoy connections too, but non-stops are easier and long flights are usually not an issue for me.

If I am fortunate enough to be flying business or first, longer the better. When I flex CX LAX-HKG over 15 hours of flight time I could have stayed in that first class seat for 5 more hours. NRT-LAX at just 9 hours felt too short.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

aerorobnz

Re: Your Preferred Segment Length(s)?

Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:28 am

Anything below 90min for the physical act of flying and upward of 10h is my preference. Anything less than that and It's harder to find my travel rhythm because I keep getting disturbed by active passengers, crew service etc
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

conaly

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:13 am

I like either the very short hops (less than one hour) or long-range flights of minimum five hours. Medium range sucks, mostly not enough time to either get to sleep or watch one or two full movies (many airlines don't even have IFE on medium-range flights). So as my longer flights go mostly in east-direction, I try to get my flights like this: one short feeder flight like NUE-FRA, and from FRA the longest leg to Middle East or Asia (and if necessary one last short connection). What I avoid like hell is a feeder with more than an hour (like NUE to CDG, AMS or even IST) and from there a shorter long-range flight. Or even two long-range flights like FRA-DXB-KUL.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

RohanDXB

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:48 am

In terms of preference, if flying business then I'm indifferent to segment lengths (I usually can't sleep more than five hours even in a flat bad). If flying Economy, I definitely prefer the one long & one short segment format - after flying more than seven hours in Econ, doing another six-seven hours is far too punishing.

I normally fly QR for my holidays so it's DXB-DOH-xxx.
Regardless of sequence & class, the return trip from DOH-DXB (after a vacation) always sucks. I just want to get home and resume my dreary routine instead of spending time dreading it. :cry:

Ro

cheeken

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:53 pm

For me it really depends on the direction of flight and the time of flight...

I always preferred flights in the day so that I can see things, so when I fly westbound from SIN to europe, I try my best to take the daytime nonstops on SQ to LHR or FRA. With good scenery the time passes relatively quickly! However flying the same routes overnight is a torture, nothing to see, plus a prolonged night due to direction of travel makes the flight feel agonisingly long.

Also, for medium haul 7 hour flights to japan and korea, i have tried both nonstop and 1-stop via BKK, and personally I find that especially for the redeye flights, I would much rather nonstop, although that never comes cheap...

Yflyer

Re: RE: Your Preferred Segment Length(s)?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 am

Birdwatching wrote:
I have found that the eastbound (redeye) transatlantics of 5-6 hours (NY to London, AMS, FRA) are painfully short to get any sort of sleep.

You think that's bad, my SMF-JFK redeye last month only took 4 hours 30 minutes with the winter tailwinds. Even though skipped the snack and beverage service and tried to get to sleep as soon as we were in the air, that was pretty brutal.

cvgComair

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:25 am

I like breaking up flights to east Asia, for instance while CVG-DTW-HKT is available, I booked CVG-SEA-PVG-WUH-HKT instead (I also considered CVG-MSP-HND-HKT). Plus, you get to stop in other places along the way which is nice and since the routes are more "inconvenient", they are usually way cheaper!

IPFreely

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 am

roseflyer wrote:
I want to get where I am going fastest.

This is my answer. My preferred segment length is the one (if nonstop) or the ones (if connecting) that make total travel duration as short as possible.

Kent350787

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 am

I'm in team get there fastest (although with good price qualification as well). Not sure why anyone would want to split US or Australia transcon though.

Another factor is timezones - same or similar timezone most flights are doable eg. 9hours or so SYD-NRT where NRT is only an houror two behind. But NRT-JFk or reverse is nasty at 13-14 hours
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am

Yflyer wrote:
Birdwatching wrote:
I have found that the eastbound (redeye) transatlantics of 5-6 hours (NY to London, AMS, FRA) are painfully short to get any sort of sleep.

You think that's bad, my SMF-JFK redeye last month only took 4 hours 30 minutes with the winter tailwinds. Even though skipped the snack and beverage service and tried to get to sleep as soon as we were in the air, that was pretty brutal.

I flew F9, of all airlines, DEN-TPA last year. Departure 12am and arrival 5am, on a flying time just over 3 hrs. Truly brutal, especially following a 5 hour connection in DEN.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

blueflyer

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 am

If a connection is involved, sign me up for a short hop and a long segment. Ideally, the short hop is short enough I can spend 30, 40 minutes napping, day-dreaming or reading emails on my phone, and then unpack and settle in for 8, 10, 12+ hours for the next flight.

For non-stop routes, if I don't need to sleep, I don't have a sweet spot or a duration I prefer over another. If I plan on sleeping, the duration changes from route to route as I sometimes get to sleep for a few hours just before or after the flight too.

I do avoid US transcontinental red-eye flights like the plague, though. Can't get to sleep before, not enough sleep in the air, no time to sleep after. I especially hate a nasty sequence I can't seem to avoid every other month for the past two years or so. West Coast - East Coast redeye, day of work, followed by an evening flight to wherever I need to be the next day before finally making it to a hotel. If I could get carried from the gate to the hotel, I would. I guess that's how I know I'm getting old. Ten years ago, that'd be just another day on the road.

angusjt

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:41 am

I really don't care about going out of my way for flights under 2 hours, rule there is the cheapest

For 3 hours and over I stick to my favourite airlines, if there's an aircraft/airline I'm either yet to fly or I want to fly on either because their limited in service or ones I wouldn't come across usually (such as the 757 & a300, Delta & KLM) I'll deviate my route a tad.

For long-haul I like bunny hopping, if I'm flying to places like London, the US or a destination that requires a stop I'll spend a day in the stop-over city (which is usually either Sydney or Singapore) and possibly even incorperate another stop in there somehwere just to fly a particular airline

usflyer123

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm

My favourite segment length is about 1 hour, like LAX-SFO, MIA-TPA or LGA-BOS. For me the worst is 5 hours, because mostly you dont have enough time to sleep, usually there is no entertainment and time passes slowly. If its a longhaul flight, I rather fly non-stop than splitting the flight.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm

I love every kind of flight, just being in the air is enough for me. ;)

That being said, I don't like 5-7 hour night flights. Everything else works for me, and I always try to take as many flights as possible to get to my destination in order to boost my flight log. :D
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

VapourTrails

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 am

SRQKEF wrote:
I love every kind of flight, just being in the air is enough for me.

Yeah, true! For me, it's about three months between flights, my limit these days, whether I actually achieve it or not (is another thing).

S75752 wrote:
What would you say are your ideal segment lengths for a medium haul or long haul journey that you take frequently or have taken a couple times before, with a max of one stop? (Even flights you haven't taken but still come to mind for you as examples of how you might divide your segments, if you'd choose to divide it at all versus the nonstop)

There isn't really an ideal for me. I just take what is going, dependent on price and convenience and the airline.

I think the less stops the better, but then again, I haven't flown long haul or medium haul nearly enough to speak from experience.

If I had to choose for example the future PER - LHR direct, or a flight with a stop, I would take the direct flight. If I had the choice again, I might choose one stop only, if I had not been to that airport before. Flying is about variety too.

I like a flight of about ninety minutes to two hours, everything being well and nothing (else) to take into consideration.

MaxTrimm

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Sub- 1 hour flights. SEA-PDX, AUS-DFW, IAH-AUS, MIA-TPA, LAX-SFO, sign me up. A quick up and down, with usually good scenery.

peterj324

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:54 pm

I honestly couldn't care less about non overnight flights but for redeyes 9-11 hrs is a sweet spot. Short 5-6 hr redeyes like the ones I have taken EWR-DUB IAD-KEF etc and overnight transcon flights can be hell when it comes to getting sleep.

spacecadet

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 am

Fewest stops possible for me, mostly because I like to maximize time at the destination and unlike ships or trains, planes are no longer really destinations in themselves for me. They're just transportation. I might make an exception if I happen to be flying in international business or first class, as I've done a couple of times. But especially in coach, I don't want the wasted time of an extra takeoff and landing.

I can't sleep on planes either so the shorter, the better. I suppose if an airline has a decent IFE system and movie selection, like Delta, then a long enough segment to watch one full movie is probably good. With no IFE, I like up and down. I did enjoy PDX-SEA and seeing the flight attendants actually try to get through a full drink service on a 25 minute flight ground to ground.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Danny319

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:58 pm

The ideal sector time for me is 12 hour non stop as I can generally get relaxed and sleep.

The worst ones are the 3 to 5 hour night time / late evening sectors as I don't have time to sleep and rest. I find these very tiring as by the time they finished serving after take off and then getting you ready to land, you only have about at best 2 hours sleep time before you land, which is not enough to rest. For example many years ago I flew LHR to BAH and recently DAC to SIN, both leaving late in the evening, but by the time I arrived at my destination, I was more tired than when I left as I did not have enough time to rest. For this reason alone, when I fly to the Far East from the UK, I prefer the non stop night flight, avoiding the unnecessary stop in the Middle East, meaning I can arrive in good shape.

Slightly off topic, for me it's also about the timing of the departure and arrival time that's important, and looking at the total journey time, rather than just the flight time. I hate early morning departures no matter how long the flight sector time is as I have to get up early to get to the airport to check in, only to get limited rest time on a short / medium haul flight, before I then travel to my destination. For example I once did LHR to CPH on a 7 am thereabouts flight, meaning I had to leave home at 4 am not getting to my destination in Sweden until the afternoon for a meeting. The flight then becomes my chance to rest, which on a long day but with a short / medium sector this can be hard.

DaveFly

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Most of my recent flights have been fairly long: 10-12 hours.

But it's ok. I click the 'gear' in my head that says, 'you're going to be here for awhile, so relax.'

But when I take a short hop from NYC to Florida, I can go crazy! I look at my watch every ten minutes, 'aren't we there YET!'

I can't explain it.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

YYZSpotter1991

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:38 pm

I tend to prefer flights between 8 and 13 hours. This is because most of my longhaul travel eventually leads me to TLV, whether nonstop or with a layover, and thus I'm used to the duration.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997