Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planemaker
Topic Author

3 Ideas To Disrupt Air Travel

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:08 am

The title is not mine but is courtesy of an article from the fall that was in Fast Company....  
Quote:
If a flight attendant told me that I couldn’t bring my roller bag onto the plane, I might throw a fit. But when the same idea comes from Teague—the preeminent air travel design studio that’s designed the interiors of Boeing planes since 1946—I’ll hear them out.

Recently at the Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX) conference, Teague principal brand strategist Devin Liddell presented the company’s radical concept for Poppi, an idealized, modern airline. "Our scenario was, what if we created a startup airline, in the mode of Airbnb or Uber?" Liddell explains. "If we started an airline from scratch, what would we do?"

Below is the summary of the 3 ideas and here is the link to the article: 3 Radical Ideas To Totally Disrupt Air Travel

1. BAN CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

Running boarding simulations, Teague found that ditching all these roller bags would expedite boarding by 71%.

2. MAKE MIDDLE SEATS FEEL EXCLUSIVE

Make the middle seat feel exclusive as a "promotional class." Invite companies like Uniqlo, Nike, or Adidas to take that seat over—paying airlines for the privilege of a captive audience—while the corporations woo passengers with a special gift box or experience.

3. ENCOURAGE AMAZON PRIME-STYLE MEMBERSHIPS

Starbucks has 9 million My Starbucks Rewards members who preload their accounts with gift cards, allowing the company to earn hundreds of millions of dollars a year just from the interest on cups of coffee yet to be sold. Amazon Prime members are notoriously loyal to the company, and spend $400 million a year for perks like free two-day shipping.

Teague proposes something deeper than just offering passengers miles on credit cards. What if they could become yearly members to an airline, prepaying for certain privileges or number of flights? It would be something like crossing an NFL season ticket with Starbucks and Amazon loyalty programs.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

Boeing778X

RE: 3 Ideas To Disrupt Air Travel

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:33 am

Quoting planemaker (Thread starter):
Running boarding simulations, Teague found that ditching all these roller bags would expedite boarding by 71%

Time is money. While this would certainly be an unforeseen inconvenience for the typical traveler (like my mother, who always needs to have eye contact with her carry-on) this would help airlines not only board quicker, but leave on time more frequently, thus, ensuring the passengers reach their destination, whether that means a connection or not. 71% decrease in loading time is significant.

Granted, that would also perhaps increase the load for ramp workers, but I think that this potentially more helpful than harmful.

the middle seat feel exclusive as a "promotional class." Invite companies like Uniqlo, Nike, or Adidas to take that seat over—paying airlines for the privilege of a captive audience—while the corporations woo passengers with a special gift box or experience.

Disruptive? No. A waste of time? Probably. Unless there are partnerships with airlines, there seems to be no point.

Also, not all aircraft have a "middle seat."

Starbucks has 9 million My Starbucks Rewards members who preload their accounts with gift cards, allowing the company to earn hundreds of millions of dollars a year just from the interest on cups of coffee yet to be sold. Amazon Prime members are notoriously loyal to the company, and spend $400 million a year for perks like free two-day shipping.

Teague proposes something deeper than just offering passengers miles on credit cards. What if they could become yearly members to an airline, prepaying for certain privileges or number of flights? It would be something like crossing an NFL season ticket with Starbucks and Amazon loyalty programs.

Airlines are different from companies like Amazon, eBay, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, etc. Credit Card companies help customers earn miles and rewards, but a membership to fly? As if the ticket was a chore enough.

This could potentially be disruptive. Some frequent flyers perhaps would sign on, but typically, flying is very infrequent, even rare, to most people. They're not going to spend X amount just to buy a ticket to go there and back again.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

DolphinAir747

Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:47 am

And Silicon Valley strikes again with its obsessive fixation on "disrupting" everything. I'm certainly not anti-technology but this looks more like an April Fools' joke rather than anything meaningful.

airzona11

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:04 am

This one seems like a great idea to differentiate FF/rewards programs. It also would encourage people to book using the airlines app/website vs going to the kayaks of the world.

Southwest is already doing this.

With Delta leading the way in devaluing flying partner airlines, I could see them coming up with something like this.

It would /could drive more revenue. What if you could pre order a snack / cocktail for $5 vs paying the $8 on the fight. Wifi discounts, rented movies, etc.

Airlines can really tap their captive audience to drive more revenue in a way customers are already used and find very popular. It would certainly be a more positive spin vs their current efforts to blatantly nick and dime their customers. At the same time it would build excitement around brand loyalty.

DfwRevolution

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 am

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 1):
Time is money. While this would certainly be an unforeseen inconvenience for the typical traveler (like my mother, who always needs to have eye contact with her carry-on) this would help airlines not only board quicker

My time is money, too, which is why I carry-on 99% of the time. That's an instant NFW for me.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

planemaker
Topic Author

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 am

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 2):
And Silicon Valley strikes again

Actually the ideas are from Seattle (Silicon Valley North?).   .

I wouldn't have bothered to have linked the article if the 3 ideas were from some Silicon Valley design firm and not from Teague, which has been Boeing's interior designer for over 50 years. Here's a link to their web site: http://www.teague.com/.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

UPNYGuy

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:57 am

Here is an idea... I'd rather airlines charge for overhead space for non-elites and the lowest fare classes. The lowest fare classes are almost always leisure fares that lug steamer trunks on.

YVRFlyer

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:16 am

Another idea, create a Y-(minus) class for people like me who desire the minimum, I can carry a water bottle and some meal replacement bars instead of needing catering. And I like to sit by the window and look out, so it's a nuisance when the F/As order me to close them; I can't sleep in planes anyways.

So imagine a class without catering or F/As. I'd be happy to sign a waiver with the airline absolving them in case I'm injured or killed in an accident, since I'm careful enough to read the safety instructions and keep the seatbelt on.
YVRFlyer

lightsaber

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:26 am

1. BAN CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

NK and others charge a fee. Rather than eliminating a desired feature, monetize it.

2. MAKE MIDDLE SEATS FEEL EXCLUSIVE

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would pay enough money to make that work. Sounds good until you are having to sell a million+ advertisement packages per month...

Quoting UPNYGuy (Reply 6):

Here is an idea... I'd rather airlines charge for overhead space for non-elites and the lowest fare classes. The lowest fare classes are almost always leisure fares that lug steamer trunks on.

As long as there is a tag or something. I've seen 'elites' try to fill overhead bins. It isn't just the part time fliers.
What needs to be done is increase the ratio of overhead bin space for each passenger.

Make the overhead bin space be like checked baggage. But note, I'll compare on the best service offered for the price and this still means the low cost provider wins the price war in the long run.

Amazon works by having free shipping with videos. Sure, put in IFE with free content for members. But what makes Amazon prime work is that *everyone* gets to feel special, not just a few people per flight.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

knope2001

Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:39 am

Running boarding simulations, Teague found that ditching all these roller bags would expedite boarding by 71%.

The assumption here is that slow boarding is what causes delays. It casues some, but plenty of other things including crew changes, missing passengers, slow bag loading, weather and ATC, late inbound aircraft, fueling delays, aircraft swaps, etc. also cause delays. Plus if speedy boarding can reduce average turn times the airlines won't just bask in improved on-time results. They'll tighten schedules and turn times squeeze in more utilization, and passenger boarding delays will still happen if something goes wrong.

The other two are pretty "meh" in my eyes. If a company really wanted to pay airlines to advertise and offer free goodies to people in the middle seat (which is a big IF) why would they not want to do the same for every seat?

And that Amazon Prime for Airlines concept. Good luck with getting a lot of penetration with that.

Boeing778X

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 4):
My time is money, too, which is why I carry-on 99% of the time. That's an instant NFW for me.

And I wouldn't blame you! It would be a good idea...for airlines.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

VS4ever

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 9):
The assumption here is that slow boarding is what causes delays.

Yep, not always the case. A recent delay of 4 hours to ORD from BOS was caused by weather, had nothing to do with boarding, we were actually all ready to go with 10 minutes to spare before departure time. Might speed things up in tight turnarounds, but too many other factors at play as noted.

Quoting Boeing778X (Reply 10):
Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 4):

Just got back from MCO, thought I would gate check my bag as i was in a bad(ish) seat for getting overhead space. Sure made getting on easier but the 40 minute delay in getting it back at the other end negated all of that.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 8):
As long as there is a tag or something. I've seen 'elites' try to fill overhead bins. It isn't just the part time fliers.
What needs to be done is increase the ratio of overhead bin space for each passenger.

Part a), yep it's not just us plebs that fill the space, a lot of the elites carry huge bags, I actually prefer to carry a duffel bag and my laptop bag on board. sometimes it moulds around other bags to allow more to get on. Some of the elite roller bags are ridiculous.

Part b), in theory, the ratio should work in a standard layout (3 seats, 3 bags) = 1 bin, the problem is 1, some bins are taken up with equipment and crew stuff (no complaints, just fact of life) 2. as more seats are being put in, bin space is the same, so even more problems with space and 3. Giant bags!

If the gate check bags could be handed back at the gate, not the carousel, I would probably do that almost every time and potentially pay $5 to $10 for that, no fighting for space, easier to get on and off etc. But they don't so you have to wait with the hold bags and unless you are going to nowhereville, you lose an awful lot of time as a result. So with the way things are, I am in the NFW camp and will continue to never fly Spirit.

I do kind of like the middle seat idea if you could find something workable, it might encourage me to take one, unless as per most times when i fly i have no choice in the matter...

The Amazon Prime idea, not sure i am buying that. Airlines already have their loyalty programs (for what they are these days), so not sure this makes a whole lot of sense.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

UPNYGuy

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:44 am

true

Quoting VS4ever (Reply 11):
Part a), yep it's not just us plebs that fill the space, a lot of the elites carry huge bags, I actually prefer to carry a duffel bag and my laptop bag on board. sometimes it moulds around other bags to allow more to get on. Some of the elite roller bags are ridiculous.

I won't deny that fact...mine pushes the envelope, but I also check it when I can. I travel strictly for leisure and VFR purposes, and have low blood pressure at the carousel  . I was just pointing out the fact that many of the once a year (at most) fliers try to skirt the checked bag fee by bringing the kitchen sink in the roll aboard.

hz747300

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:37 am

I find the exiting just as terrible. I'm not just talking about being the guy in the last row of an A321 of the CUN-PHX flight after a three hour delay, but the DB passenger who boards late (probably transferring not their fault), and has to put their back 10 rows back from where they're sitting. And decides upon landing that they should be able to grab their bag, and exit first still...

The other ideas are not feasible. I would only sit in the middle seat if I had to, I would never seek it, no matter what was on offer unless it was a gold watch or a bag full of cash money. And by the way, if someone is sponsoring it that much, shouldn't the seat be free?

I think that United had something like the latter at one time. You could buy your way into the top tier with a block payment, and then use it as a declining balance to pay for travel. I was just starting out on the ladder then, so I cannot recall for sure.
Keep on truckin'...

mayor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:07 am

Quoting YVRFlyer (Reply 7):
So imagine a class without catering or F/As. I'd be happy to sign a waiver with the airline absolving them in case I'm injured or killed in an accident, since I'm careful enough to read the safety instructions and keep the seatbelt on.

The airline might go for it, but I doubt if you could get the FAA to sign off on it, just for safety considerations.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

aklrno

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:40 am

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 13):
I find the exiting just as terrible. I'm not just talking about being the guy in the last row of an A321 of the CUN-PHX flight after a three hour delay, but the DB passenger who boards late (probably transferring not their fault), and has to put their back 10 rows back from where they're sitting. And decides upon landing that they should be able to grab their bag, and exit first still...

One of the advantages of WN open seating is that you can try to find a seat aft of where you find an open spot in the overhead bins. I was last on my WN connecting flight on Thanksgiving day thanks to a weather delay. As I boarded the FA told me there was overhead space in the back, so I marched back there to deposit my bag and find a seat.

As to no overhead space at all, but only checked bags, if that days flight had that rule my bag would not have made the connection. Also, asking about a hundred people per WN flight to hang out at baggage claim for 20 minutes is an enormous waste of customer time. Even more hours wasted on bigger aircraft. I've had more flights where we sit on the ground a few minutes while the last bags are loaded than flights delayed by slow boarding.

Perhaps what we need are the new bins that allow max sized carry-ons to be stowed on edge, and real enforcement of the size limits. Frequent fliers can manage to buy whatever the airlines standardize on, but today the sizes vary among airlines.

seahawk

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:35 am

Prime like idea is clever. Allow for free seat selection on a small number of flights per year and a reduced cost for the rest. Offer small discounts on all services.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:28 pm

I like the middle seat perks. Maybe not go as far as a give away, but maybe free beer/wine and/or free food.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.