Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyenthu
Topic Author

Domestic India Flights

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Hello!

It appears that I will have to travel domestic in India between CCU-BOM and CCU-DEL in the future at least once a year. I am not very familiar with domestic travel in India. Are there any recommendations for domestic airlines in India in terms of quality, service, safety etc.?

Thank you for your input in advance!

F/E

Birdwatching

RE: Domestic India Flights

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:12 pm

I was in India recently and flew up and down the country to try every airline. Here's my ranking:

Vistara is excellent. They have very professional and friendly crew, brand new planes and very stylish cabins. Great food too. Their route network is (still) very limited, but they do fly the routes you mentioned, although at lower frequencies than the other airlines.

IndiGo is my second favorite. But maybe that's just because I shopped from their inflight catalog like crazy, a thing I normally never do, but they had so many awesome branded products that I just had to. IndiGo is very different from Vistara. They felt a bit like Southwest. Great new planes too, and in many cases very high frequencies, and the fares I got were super cheap, even booked a day ahead.

Jet Airways is good, but I only flew them in Business. Their "lounge" in Goa was a corner in the back on the local airport restaurant, pretty basic. But the onboard product wasn't bad, at least on the one flight I took with them. Friendly crew too.

GoAir was rather basic and mediocre. The planes were a bit worn out, and the crew not so enthusiastic. It felt a bit like Ryanair. I wouldn't fly them again if any of the above flew the route, even if the price was higher.

Air India... well, go and find out yourself. In my opinion they are one of the most terrible airlines in the world in about every aspect, and I have been all over the world and flown with planes no sane person would set a foot on. The only positive thing maybe is that you can fly widebody planes on domestic routes. The 77W I took on the BOM-DEL segment was so trashed and ratty I really didn't feel safe. On my DEL-COK flight I had an A320 that felt like the cabin hadn't been refurbished since the 90s, the seats were stained and the walls dirty. Needless to say I was very surprised when I saw the sharklet on the wing. Turns out the plane was just a couple of weeks old.  Wow!

So that was my ranking, but go ahead and make your own experiences. In general I'll say domestic flying in India is cheap and fun. Just be warned of the super bureaucratic process from the airport door to the gate. About 23 different people check and stamp boarding passes and funny little bag tags.

Have fun!
Soren   

Vasu

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 am

I can add my love of Indigo to the post above. Very good flying experience and the buy onboard menu isn't too expensive compared to European airlines.

I knew Air India wasn't great, but had no idea that's how they are maintaining new aircraft! Shocking!

LGAviation

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
Air India... well, go and find out yourself. In my opinion they are one of the most terrible airlines in the world in about every aspect, and I have been all over the world and flown with planes no sane person would set a foot on. The only positive thing maybe is that you can fly widebody planes on domestic routes. The 77W I took on the BOM-DEL segment was so trashed and ratty I really didn't feel safe. On my DEL-COK flight I had an A320 that felt like the cabin hadn't been refurbished since the 90s, the seats were stained and the walls dirty. Needless to say I was very surprised when I saw the sharklet on the wing. Turns out the plane was just a couple of weeks old.  

I flew AI recently on a DEL-KTM (I know Nepal isn't exactly domestic) and I wouldn't give it a zero star rating. Onboard service and meals were decent but the aircraft looked so much older than it actually it was.

IndiGo on the return was way better and I'd always choose them over Air India even though I'm a bit *A biased.
Jet and Air India aren't that much of a difference domestically in my limited (DEL-Jaipur) experience.

flyenthu
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 pm

I thought Jet Airways' product is pretty good- from what I have heard. Any thoughts?

n729pa

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:10 pm

two of my friends/work colleagues regularly travel back to India, and neither family will go near Air India, Internationally or Domestically and will go Jet Airways instead - even if the fare is higher. Better service, product, inflight equipment not to mentioned basic cleanliness of the aircraft. A shame but there you go.

roseflyer

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 4):
I thought Jet Airways' product is pretty good- from what I have heard. Any thoughts?

Jet Airways offers a decent product. It is very similar to flying in the United States. Flying has come a long way in the last 20 years in India. I personally wouldn't worry about safety, however be careful with on time performance expectations. Indian airlines are notoriously delayed. One of the worst problems in the country is the fog that happens in DEL. The fog can close the airport down in the mornings in the winter. The result is 25-50% of the flights in the entire country being delayed. Personally I try to schedule some extra time.

bgm

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 6):
Jet Airways offers a decent product. It is very similar to flying in the United States.

Don'f flatter yourself.

Jet Airways in economy is still better than flying domestically in the US. You get a hot meal, and the service is much friendlier. That said, they are not as good as they were before, sadly.

I will echo what others have said regarding IndiGo. I've taken numerous flights with them and they're great. New aircraft, great service, and very reasonably priced.

I shopped from their inflight catalog like crazy, a thing I normally never do, but they had so many awesome branded products that I just had to.

I did the same! They had some really cool stuff.  

I only flew Air India once (actually it was Indian Airlines) on one of the rare double-bogied A320s. The interior was was in a terrible state, and this was back in 2008 so I can only imagine what it's like now.

flyenthu
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Sounds great. Leaning towards Jet and Vistara. I do prefer full service airlines. What can I say, even a bad airline meal makes it worth it for me. Not that I am saying all airline meals in Y are bad. Vistara unfortunately doesn't fly to CCU. Who knows if they will ever fly into CCU. I hope they do at some point.    

roseflyer

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 pm

One thing not to forget is that you need a copy of your itinerary or ticket before the Indian security allows you to enter the terminal. Many foreigners don't realize this requirement. If you don't have one, you have to visit the airline ticket office to get one. They are near the entrances.

388crazy

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:10 am

I Have flown Jet Airways, IndiGo, SpiceJet and Air Costa.

The flight attendants on all flights I have done have been very friendly and efficient.

The meals on Jet Airways were very nice, the other three are low cost but didn't feel like the LCCs I'm used to in Australia.

I would fly on all of them again, Air Costa only has a small fleet so I'm not sure if they fly to CCU.

I shopped from their inflight catalog like crazy

I didn't go crazy but there was a lot I would have liked, I did buy cookies because of the IndiGo tin though.

Birdwatching

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:09 pm

One airline I don't see mentioned in this thread yet is TruJet (which only flies props by the way). Has anybody flown with them?

I think they should have kept the name Turbo Mega Airways. It doesn't get any more awesome than that.

Soren   

unrave

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:48 pm

You will not go wrong with 9W or 6E. Both operate high frequencies on the trunk routes. As a passenger the only difference you will feel is the equipment (slightly old 737s vs newish 320s) and the meal service (free vs buy on board). Both have an excellent safety record.

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 9):
you need a copy of your itinerary or ticket

An e-ticket on your mobile or tablet should work just fine.

Vasu

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Quoting 388crazy (Reply 10):

Yes, I got the cookies in the tin too! I had Delhi belly so couldn't stomach any of the cookies themselves... But I still have the tin!

Zombus

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 11):
I think they should have kept the name Turbo Mega Airways. It doesn't get any more awesome than that.

OMG Yes they should've! I think there's a whole subscene of people (well, ok, at least myself) who would've flown the airline *just* for the name. Remind me that if I ever own an airline, I name it something similarly awesome. "Ultra Mega Airways" would be ok, or maybe "Air Air". Just because.