Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N415XJ
Topic Author

Most Interesting Aviation-ignorant Comments?

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:47 am

A few weeks ago, I was aboard an AF A380 landing in Paris. THe aircraft was fitted with a tail camera, which both my seatmate (a stranger) and I were viewing as we landed. After we touched down, he says to me "did you see how **** stupid our pilot is? He can't even fly straight!". There was a stiff crosswind, so of course the pilot had to crab considerably. I didn't correct him, but was reminded of a time when a family friend recounted how inexperienced the pilot on his flight was because of all the turbulence they encountered. Without turning this into a smug-fest of denigrating our fellow travellers, what are the most uninformed/ignorant comments you've overheard that made you cringe as an aviation enthusiast?

ArmitageShanks

RE: Most Interesting Aviation-ignorant Comments?

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 am

"Flying is worse today than it was in the 90's..80's..70's..60's...."

That one always makes me roll my eyes.

Byrdluvs747

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:32 am

A common comment I hear usually takes the form of "Why cant they use a spare airplane" usually when a plane has mech issues. At a hub like DFW where you see an ocean of AA tails, I can understand the misconception that there must be spares sitting around. However, at a remote spoke airport it kind of grinds my gears to hear it.

Quoting N415XJ (Thread starter):
I didn't correct him,

You exercised more restraint than I could have. I usually can't resist the urge to stamp out aviation ignorance, especially on the level that person displayed by calling the pilot stupid.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

copter808

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40 am

Now THIS has the potential to become a very long thread!

I recall one incident where we had a bleed air problem that would not permit us to fly into potential icing situations so a replacement aircraft was substituted. After listening to the gate agent, even I was confused about what bleed air was! And I am VERY familiar with what it is and what it does!

Looking forward to a lot of interesting reading here.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:32 am

I like the classic, "XYZ Airline delayed/cancelled my flight even though (enter any type of weather event). I'm NEVER flying this crappy airline ever again". Those always make me chuckle.

The best ones were on twitter during Hurricane Sandy when JFK/LGA were shut down for days. Somehow many thought that was the airlines' plotting against them and their vacations.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

nomadd22

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:36 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 4):
Somehow many thought that was the airlines' plotting against them and their vacations.

I suspect that's just your inability to recognize a joke.
Anon

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:39 am

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 5):

Somehow many thought that was the airlines' plotting against them and their vacations.

I suspect that's just your inability to recognize a joke.

I'm sorry? If you knew me personally you'd know that I was very humorous (or atleast I like to think so!) Either way, you have to admit airlines' social networks are just a breeding grounds for people's irrational anger-induced rants about their travel disruptions. There may be a good amount of actual meaningful content posted by customers, but a good part of the time it's people yelling at the airline for cancelling a flight.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

diverted

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 am

A few years ago when I was working as a CSR I had a gate noshow. Cut her, pushed the flight. As the aircraft is turning to taxi she comes running up, asks if she can get on the plane (obviously not) and proceeds to get on the phone to any family member who would listen about how "I can see the plane, all they need to do is drive back so I can get on"

Yeah....not quite how it works.

DiscoverCSG

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 am

A couple weeks ago, my flight home PVD-DCA got cancelled; I had to get home that night, so I took Amtrak (not a bad ride, btw).

The poor guy sitting behind me told his sad story to 4 or 5 different people, loudly, on the phone, between Providence and New York. It seems he'd gotten on a DCA-LGA flight that morning that tried to land at LGA but diverted to BOS because LGA's high winds and rain made landing at LGA unsafe. He'd then done the same thing as me - bought an Amtrak ticket - to get to New York in time to spend the night in his hotel before flying home LGA-DCA the next day; he'd missed his meetings, or whatever.

The thing was, he told each person he called that he thought the pilot was recklessly endangering everybody's life on board by trying to land at LGA, letting the plane get so close to the ground, and then flooring the engines like that. He was never going to fly that airline again, and seemed genuinely convinced he'd skirted near-certain death.

hivue

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:05 am

Quoting N415XJ (Thread starter):
what are the most uninformed/ignorant comments you've overheard that made you cringe as an aviation enthusiast?

When reporting GA accidents the media used to always feel it germane to note that "The pilot did not file a flight plan" even if the airplane was being legally operated VFR.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

MeCe

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:23 am

My Father in law contiously arguing about take off direction of planes. His house is on a landing pattern, every time direction changes he tells different story why the direction changed, i explained many times how the planes fly but no help   

Quoting diverted (Reply 7):

Not same but close one; pax doors closed loading last pieces of late baggage. A no show showed up, we asked captain we could get pax on board, he said ok. Bridge repositioned, pax onboard. It was a christmas day, everbody was happy

Beardown91737

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:24 am

and that the plane's engine stalled in a crosswind
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

N415XJ
Topic Author

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:55 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 2):
You exercised more restraint than I could have.

I seriously thought about correcting him, but sometimes you never know if people will take something like that as a threat ("you calling me stupid, bud? Wanna take this outside?"). Plus, it was at the end of a long overnight TATL flight so I probably wouldn't have been able to put together a coherent explanation anyway! Actually, on my connecting flight to BEY, the guy I was sitting next to seemed pretty interested in planes- he pointed out the window, turned to me, and said "look, an A380! That's the biggest plane in the world, man!" I was smiling on the outside but screaming internally  
Quoting MeCe (Reply 10):

My Father in law contiously arguing about take off direction of planes.

This seems pretty simple, doesn't it? "Planes always take off/land heading into the wind. More air over the wings gives the plane more lift". Or, just tell him it's a conspiracy by all pilots to annoy him if he doesn't buy your aeronautical explanation.

DualQual

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:01 am

Frankly there's a lot of stuff posted on this very site that is ignorant flame bait at best. The 739 into SNA thread just today has some rather irresponsible suppositions posted as fact. And any UA thread seems to get hijacked into rampant fan-boyism oblivion.
There's no known cure for stupid

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:50 am

Airline X sucks because my cousins boyfriends mother in-laws sisters sons work partners friend got bumped off his flight because they didn't wait for him to get through customs.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

klm672

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 am

While deplaining you could hear the cargo being removed from the aircraft. The guy in front of me laughed and said "oh the plane just broke". Also funny reactions on the "barking dog" when flying A32X.
Or when the engines start and the lights flicker and the vents go off. Everyone eaches for the vent and assumes that the air just broke.

Was on the 787 the other day and the lady in front of me was reaching for the window shade.

32andBelow

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:18 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 15):
Was on the 787 the other day and the lady in front of me was reaching for the window shade.

I don't think you can really blame her. Frankly it would be muscle memory for me even if I knew I was on a 787.

directorguy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:45 am

I've heard several people who think that a particular plane only does a specific route. As an example, an EK 777 will only do DXB-XXX-DXB runs continuously, or once it's done the daily roundtrip, will sit on the tarmac in Dubai until it's time for the next flight, to the same destination. Some people don't know that airlines manage their fleets more effectively, and that the AF plane that took you from Paris to JFK might do Paris to Rio later.
Some people also believe that when a flight is assigned a bad/faraway gate, or worse, a remote stand, then it's because the airline is being 'cheap.' While that might be the case sometimes, it can also be to capacity/space constraints, or operational requirements.

1g

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 am

I remember a seatmate saying on a A340 something along the lines of 'I can't believe they still fly this 20 year old junk'

scallar

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:57 am

Saw a comment on a Facebook post from DY recently. They were promoting their new 789 and it's cool features, and one guy replied: "Boeing should put more resources into making their planes follow the timetable better instead of adding new technical stuff that can break."

AzoresLover

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 am

Two incidents I remember from two people really ignorant about flying:

1) Guy flew on WN from STL-MDW, told me he was on the 747. I tried to explain that he was actually on a 737, he told me it was a 747, he was on it, he knew what it was, I was wrong. (end of conversation)

2) Guy flew from BNA-CMH with a connection at ORD. The next day he said he was suffering from jet lag from his trip yesterday.

Two people who didn't have a clue about aviation!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

klm672

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:26 am

Flew Dash 8-400 a few years ago. Boarded by Air Stairs. The guy in front of me turned around and commented "I didn't know they flew these puddle jumpers anymore! I haven't been on one of these in YEARS." I just smiled. I guess he didn't realize all the other Dashs parked around us. Also flew Q200 a lot with C5 and got those sort of comments. Its like "ok, look around, there are 5-6 other planes exactly like this one!" As if the airline said "ok we have ONE of these turbo prop planes, and we're don't care about XXX destination, so let's just put it on that route".
Not so much a comment, but rather a look. When passengers would board an Regonal and get a look at the pilots, and just how young they are! I guess the passengers thought they would have the "typical" pilot- gray hair seasoned pilot, older with a moustache.

Flew CLE-PIT, which was only a 20 minute flight. The Dash 8 was parked by a 737-800. She was "shocked" when the Dash 8 was her plane, and not the 737. I thought to myself "well, if you don't like it, just drive the two hours".

Flew A380 when it was fairly new. During decent the engines spooled down and got so quiet you couldn't hear them. "The engines quit!" the lady said behind me.

[Edited 2016-02-29 02:28:41]

[Edited 2016-02-29 02:35:34]

klm672

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
"Flying is worse today than it was in the 90's..80's..70's..60's...."

That one always makes me roll my eyes.

It depends in what context.

kurtverbose

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:02 am

I remember years ago when I was a kid describing a rough flight to a woman who was terrified of flying (to the point where she only got on a plane drunk), and the more shocked she became, the more exaggerated my story became, to the point where I added that 'Not the nine o'clock news' sketch thing about a 'slight reduction in the number of wings'.

She swallowed the whole lot.

Doona

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:07 am

Quoting scallar (Reply 19):
"Boeing should put more resources into making their planes follow the timetable better instead of adding new technical stuff that can break."

To be fair, that could just be a random A.netter.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

rlwynn

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:15 am

I was listening to a guy behind me explain to his seatmate how great the 757 is and how much power it has and that our takeoff will be like a rocket. The problem was that we were on an A321.
I can drive faster than you

Yflyer

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm

I like the classic, "XYZ Airline delayed/cancelled my flight even though (enter any type of weather event). I'm NEVER flying this crappy airline ever again".

Along similar lines, I had a coworker who complained that he was never going to fly a certain airline again because they supposedly "canceled his flight because it wasn't full".

Quoting klm672 (Reply 21):
Flew Dash 8-400 a few years ago. Boarded by Air Stairs. The guy in front of me turned around and commented "I didn't know they flew these puddle jumpers anymore!

I was once on a Saab 340 flight back when Mesaba flew them for Northwest. I overheard a young guy comment to his friend that it should be ok to use electronics during takeoff and landing because it was a prop plane. As if the fact that since the plane had propellers meant it must be technologically equivalent to a DC-3 and didn't use the same navigational equipment as jets. The guy then proceeded to blatantly ignore the flight attendant's numerous reminders that electronic devices should be turned off (which were obviously directed at him) and listened to his music player for the entire flight from pushback until we got to the gate at our destination.

The one I think is funniest, though, was when I was boarding a Continental Express flight from the dreaded gate B85 at IAH (For those not familiar with it, a group of ground level gates where you had to be bussed to the plane and boarded via stairs). I overheard two businessmen complaining about the boarding procedure.
Businessman 1: "I would have expected better service than this from Continental"
Businessman 2: "Yeah, well they're in cahoots with Northwest on these flights."
As if the fact that Northwest had a codeshare on our flight somehow meant they had influence over the level of service we got. I guess that particular ignorance worked in Continental's favor -- they were unhappy, but they blamed it on a completely different airline that had nothing to do with it!   

[Edited 2016-02-29 12:10:17]

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 am

A couple of years ago I was on a VA flight that was doing pretty loops of Sydney in a stack due to congestion. The guy behind me loudly complained that this would never happened on Qantas.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ArmitageShanks

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:16 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 22):
It depends in what context.

I think just about every part of travel is better today. Safety, price, schedules, alliances, passenger experience.... am I missing something?

copter808

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 am

Quoting hivue (Reply 9):
When reporting GA accidents the media used to always feel it germane to note that "The pilot did not file a flight plan" even if the airplane was being legally operated VFR.

That may have been the ONLY information that was accurately reported!

klm672

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 28):
Quoting klm672 (Reply 22):It depends in what context.
I think just about every part of travel is better today. Safety, price, schedules, alliances, passenger experience.... am I missing something?

I miss the free checked bag and snack/meal service.

LSZH34

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I once overheard a dad saying to his kid, that thrust reversers make the engine shafts turn the other way around...
No joke.

lapper

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:20 pm

One that makes me chuckle is from a well known seat comparison website. Someone who has obviously been to Dubai and thinks that EK can fly anywhere and everywhere:
"I cannot understand why these airlines don't buy bigger aircraft such as the magnificent 777 and treat their fare paying customers to a bit of luxury and leg room. Surely the running costs must compare favourably with old clapped out 757's. The 777 can carry a lot more people and this would allow more leg room. Take a leaf out of Emirates book. I only hope and wish some day Emirates start to fly from the UK to the Spanish / Canary Island resorts. These jokers would be forced to respond or go under.After the Emirates experience,Thomas Cook look like a sick joke.

nuckleuz

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:46 pm

One which made me laugh a bit was a passenger who was 20 minutes late to catch his flight, but he was surprised I did not call the aircraft back to the stand, because he called the airline to let them know he was going to be 20 minutes late. I think he genuinely thought the flight with 150+ passengers on board was going to wait for him.

Rgrds,
Erik

mfricke

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 am

When I was in graduate school in Austin, some friends and I were driving past the Austin airport. a Kitty Hawk Air Cargo B-727 was parked on the tarmac, in view from the highway. One of my friends looked at it, and commented that it must have been the plane that made the very first flight at Kitty Hawk. Imagine that, Orville and Wilbur Wright, flying a 727!
ONT - Southern California's Ontario!

Yflyer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:06 am

Quoting scallar (Reply 19):
"Boeing should put more resources into making their planes follow the timetable better instead of adding new technical stuff that can break."

My best guess is this is someone who doesn't speak English as their first language criticizing Boeing for their delays on the 787 program (ie. not meeting their original "timetable" for the program) and arguing that they have takes a more conservative approach rather than packing so much new untested technology into the plane.

coolian2

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 am

Quoting nuckleuz (Reply 33):
One which made me laugh a bit was a passenger who was 20 minutes late to catch his flight, but he was surprised I did not call the aircraft back to the stand, because he called the airline to let them know he was going to be 20 minutes late. I think he genuinely thought the flight with 150+ passengers on board was going to wait for him.

That's previously worked for my family! They didn't hold the plane but they didn't rush to close check in.

Not that we'd rely on it.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

BubbleFrog

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:14 pm

It's been mentioned on numerous occasions before, but just sitting in an airport for a time and listening to all those comments about which plane is what can be seriously entertaining.

When flying through LHR in particular (when going on holidays), the other half and I always make sure to have a few hours there, if possible. Partly to make shure we catch the long-haul if our feeder flight is delayed for some reason, but also to spend quality time in the lounge, with Flightradar24 on the iPad and a glass of bubbly, watching the heavies.

Just sitting with open ears can be a lot of fun. And no, not everything is a jumbo. And while I understand not everyone has enough interest in planes to be able to explain evrything to an excited five-year-old, some of the attempts range from charming to laugh-out-loud ridiculous.
Absolute Relativist

fbgdavidson

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Good thread!   

Pretty much everything the travelling public, friends or family say about flying!....my immediate family members and girlfriend get put straight when they say something ignorant but they're generally pretty switched on.

The most recent idiotic thing I heard was flying RDU-JFK about a month ago on an American Eagle EMB-145....some suited and booted guy shows up at the gate demanding an upgrade because of his AA status. The GA tells him these aircraft do not have an F cabin, "But I fly these aircraft every week and they always have First Class" he retorts. As a oneworld Emerald I was able to board first so ambled up to the gate when boarding was announced, he sprinted up to the GA as if it were some kind of race and he just had to be the first onboard...What is it about status that brings out the worst in some people? That could be a whole thread of its own   
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

BubbleFrog

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 38):
The most recent idiotic thing I heard was flying RDU-JFK about a month ago on an American Eagle EMB-145....some suited and booted guy shows up at the gate demanding an upgrade because of his AA status. The GA tells him these aircraft do not have an F cabin, "But I fly these aircraft every week and they always have First Class" he retorts. As a oneworld Emerald I was able to board first so ambled up to the gate when boarding was announced, he sprinted up to the GA as if it were some kind of race and he just had to be the first onboard...What is it about status that brings out the worst in some people? That could be a whole thread of its own   

I can so relate to that...

Loads of people need to be the first, it seems. The kerkuffle is usually fun to behold, from all statuses. When I'm flying on status or J, I am amused by those that have to flash their status. When I'm not, I usually end up boarding at the end of the queue, as my hand luggage is usually small and I couldn't care less about being in the fight for being first on board.
Absolute Relativist

Yflyer

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:53 pm

I remembered another one: I was listening to NPR's coverage of the Asiana flight 214 crash. The reporter mentioned that the pilots had gotten a stall warning prior to the crash. She then added the "explanation" that "that means the plane's engines are about to stop." I'm sure everyone here knows that's not what a stall warning means at all. It especially made my blood boil because usually NPR's reporting is pretty good. I don't expect reporters to be experts on every technical subject, but they could at least take a minute to look up what a piece of jargon means instead of just assuming.

copter808

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 40):
She then added the "explanation" that "that means the plane's engines are about to stop."

Although not what she meant, they did in fact stop shortly after the "stall warning" after impact! (Don't recall if they failed on/after impact or were shut down, but they DID stop.)

Sometimes a reporter has it right, as in this case, but just HAS to fill empty time and screws the whole thing up!

bennett123

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:20 pm

My aunt used to live near Luton.

She was convinced the smell of petrol in the town was due to planes dumping fuel.

I was tempted to tell MOL. I am sure he would put a stop to all that waste  

phbuf

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:34 pm

I was pretty shocked recently after sitting next to a KL flight attendant on the bus to the crew parking lot, when she pointed to a parked KL A330 and told her colleague 'look, Dreamliner...'

klm672

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:49 am

Quoting phbuf (Reply 43):
I was pretty shocked recently after sitting next to a KL flight attendant on the bus to the crew parking lot, when she pointed to a parked KL A330 and told her colleague 'look, Dreamliner...'

Oh, that's not that bad. Just because she's an FA for KLM, doesn't mean she should know their whole fleet. Besides an A330 and 787 could look similiar to an untrained eye.

Bongodog1964

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 38):
hat is it about status that brings out the worst in some people? That could be a whole thread of its own   

The best status incident I have encountered was whilst waiting to board a VS flight to LGW, There was the usual crowding around the gate despite boarding not having started and a queue starting to form. A man walked up to the end of the queue and asked the lady immediately in front of him "is this for everyone" She replied in a rather posh accent "we're Upper Class" At this point in a highly camp voice he spoke to his travelling companion with sufficient volume for the entire boarding area to hear "I've always wanted to be Upper Class" It was great to see the snobbish lady cringe at the put down.

One thing that is seen so often that bugs me are people moaning that they have had to cancel their holiday and the nasty airline has refused to refund the cost of their non flexible tickets. No mention that the terms and conditions clearly state non refundable, and that the passenger is advised to take out insurance immediately to cover the cost if they cannot travel. These are the people who should only be allowed to travel if they book a package holiday complete with insurance.
perhaps the airline booking system should flash up a message just before completing the transaction
"You have chosen to make an unassisted booking, if you are of limited intelligence please abort and visit a travel agent"

AAlaxfan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Quoting phbuf (Reply 43):

Possible sarcasm on her part?
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

Adipasquale

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:33 am

Not in the airport per se, but one time when I was spotting over the summer, another guy came up and we started talking. He was not one of the regulars, and I quickly learned that he was Canadian and was a bit early to pick up his girlfriend and wanted to watch her plane arrive. He brought up MH 370 and said his theory as to why nobody found is was that the plane made an emergency landing on an island of quicksand and was swallowed up. He then went on to lament the fact that there are no Canadian-built airliners...when there were multiple CRJ and Dash 8 variants either taxiing or at the terminal. I pointed this out, and he was very enthusiastic to learn that there are, in fact, Canadian-built airliners out there. As to his MH 370 theory, I didn't say anything because I was not exactly sure how to respond to such a crazy idea.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

opticalilyushin

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 am

A few comments come to my mind..

A passenger at the gate being told to use the back steps for boarding asking 'what end of the plane is the back?'

A woman who arrived at check in closure time for her flight, but at the WRONG airport, but was adamant that she was right and we were wrong because her taxi driver told her so..

On a lighter note I often get passengers arriving late at the gate with the usual comments- traffic, security delays etc. However one woman ran upto me whilst exclaiming 'Sorry I'm late, my knickers keep falling down!'.. I didn't know what to say to that   

bennett123

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 pm

The problem is not thinking what to say, it is thinking what to say AND keep your job.