bps3458
Topic Author

Trying To Understand QF'S Fares

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:35 am

Hi all,

am a loyal QF flyer ever since I moved to Down Under in 2005 and have been QF Platinum for the last 4 years. My overseas travel regularly takes me to Europe and being self employed I do treat myself to business class on international travel.

In the past have always been somewhat happy booking flights directly through the QF website but for my upcoming trips to Europe in May and the UAE in October am somewhat annoyed at the prices on offer and hope someone more familiar with the pricing structure can explain these uncompetitive fares to me.

TRIP BNE-HAM IN MAY

Really do enjoy the QF/EK joint venture especially traveling to Europe with HAM being a one-stop in DXB. Flight on EK/QF was supposed to cost A$ 6601. Somewhat acceptable but decided to save myself A$ 800 and fly BNE-SIN-HEL-HAM and return via HKG with QF/AY (first time new A350) in C. Why can't QF offer me these flights on their website but instead only offers flights through DXB ?This trip is all booked and confirmed. Can't wait to experience QF's new business class seats on their A330 fleet and AY's A350 !!!

TRIP BNE-DXB/AUH

Now these flights are not booked as I nearly had a heart attack when I went on the QF website. Flying BNE-DXB in C departing BNE October 22 and returning from DXB October 29 is supposed to cost just above A$ 9000.00 !!! Looked around and found CX via HKG in to DXB at A$ 6900.00 but best option for me (as conference is in AUH) at this stage is QR (BNE-MEL/SYD-DOH-AUH for A$ 7200.00.

First of all why is a single flight with EK in October to their hub supposed to be nearly A$ 2500 more expensive than my trip to Germany that QF/EK still prices today at A$ 6601 ? What is so special about October ?

Second, does anyone have the time to look for me for best OneWorld options from BNE to either DXB or AUH departing BNE October 22 and returning October 29 ?

Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight or who is willing to find better prices for my trip to the UAE in October.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

TruemanQLD

RE: Trying To Understand QF'S Fares

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Quoting bps3458 (Thread starter):
Why can't QF offer me these flights on their website but instead only offers flights through DXB ?This trip is all booked and confirmed. Can't wait to experience QF's new business class seats on their A330 fleet and AY's A350 !!!

I believe (and please correct if wrong) that as part of the QF/EK partnership, QF cannot sell tickets to a European destination with any other carrier than QF/EK unless neither of them service the destination (hence QF3875 codeshare on SIN-HEL as EK doesn't serve HEL however they do serve HAM).

n729pa

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Had a look at MH from SYD-AUH C class and it came back AUD7500, plus you've still got the BNE-SYD sector to add

AY codeshare from BNE-SIN on QF, then SIN-HEL-DXB was AUD6890 but they're not daily and the dates don't match your iternary

Did look at BA, but routing was BNE-HKG-LHR-AUH and AUD10K+ ...I guess you like flying but not that much!

UL was AUD8600 leaving a day earlier (otherwise +AUD400 on the 22nd) BNE-SIN on QF codeshare, the UL SIN-CMB-AUH

I suspect you've got the best OW deal there already to be honest

bps3458
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Quoting TruemanQLD (Reply 1):
I believe (and please correct if wrong) that as part of the QF/EK partnership, QF cannot sell tickets to a European destination with any other carrier than QF/EK unless neither of them service the destination (hence QF3875 codeshare on SIN-HEL as EK doesn't serve HEL however they do serve HAM).

Would make sense but just find it very sad for the loyal consumer.

Quoting n729pa (Reply 2):
I suspect you've got the best OW deal there already to be honest

Thanks for checking. Have made up my find and will give QR a go BNE-SYD-DOH-AUH and return AUH-DOH-ADL-BNE. Their business class gets pretty impressive reviews and I can check off another new airport. Could find A$ 7204 on their website so I'll squeeze another few bucks out of my local Flight Centre.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

XAM2175

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:47 am

The QF/EK JBA only allows QF to issue tickets for travel between Australia and EK-served destinations in Europe that are wholly on QF and/or EK metal and that transit through DXB.

As TruemanQLD notes, since HEL is not an EK destination, the QF/AY codeshare agreement on AY HEL-SIN v.v. still stands.

As you yourself found by booking your return trip via HKG on AY, there is also nothing stopping you from making the booking with another airline that has an interline ticketing agreement with QF - it's just that QF can't actually issue the ticket. This extends even as far as trying to make a multi-city booking to force a transit in a particular non-DXB place - the QF website will tell you flat-out that no flights can be found.

ZKCIF

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Why just oneworld? only to get bonus points?
in the future, in some cases, it might make more sense to take any other alliance/combination, and the fare difference may more than cover the 'non-received' points.
cheers from the other end of the world