Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tancrede
Topic Author

Finnair, A Not So Good Customer Service After All

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

After so many years traveling with Finnair and absolutely not complains about this company, two separate events happened last weekend and burst into small pieces those many years of satisfaction:

1 - As my kids are living in Helsinki and me in Paris, for them to come to holidays in France, they need to travel with Finnair as unaccompanied minors (UM). The problem is that it is impossible to buy those type of ticket from Internet, it has to be done from Finnair's desk. But this proved to be wrong. As I was traveling through Helsinki airport last weekend, I went straight to Finnair service desk to get those tickets. I had to queue a while to finally get for answer and to my surprise, that this desk provide tickets only for the same or next day and after that, special tickets like UM, are sold only through Finnair customers telephone service (open 7/7 and 24/24). So that's what I did! BUT, it took me the whole Saturday afternoon, evening, Sunday morning (from 6 am) to finally reach a ticket officer at 1 pm after letting my phone ring for 45 min! The problem is that I have a French cell phone but lucky me I used the phone of my daughter otherwise I cannot imagine the cost of all those calls! Not to mention that how difficult it was to spell correctly by phone the family names but the worst was to give the number of the credit card and the secure number over an UNSECURED PHONE LINE.

2 - As I was coming back yesterday evening from Helsinki to Paris with a Finnair flight, I was seated on the sixth row just behind the business class. At one point I really needed to go to the restroom, so I started my journey to the toilet but I saw right away the impossible task, I was facing four food carriages standing between me and the Graal. So, I went to the business class and asked the FA if i could use those toilets explaining why. He refused! So it took me 20 min to reach the economy class toilets, disturbing the food service but more important, as I was waiting, it stated turbulence that made me thinking that now I know why some people gets injured not because of not having their belt on while seating but because waiting to get to the toilet.

Those two events are, in a way, insignificant but I think, mostly for the first one, it shows the worst of rationalization by trying to make savings at all cost and certainly not by caring about customers. On an other hand, the second event can be subject to debate but it only shows how easy the reputation of an entire airline can swing from good to bad because of this small thing as I was really pissed off for the whole flight .

toobz

RE: Finnair, A Not So Good Customer Service After

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Eh..I don't know. Companies take credit card info all the time over the phone. Not so much in Finland but in the US happens millions of times a day. Did not sound like an easy task to get the tickets though!! And C class lav is for them. I suppose they could have been a bit nicer and just let u use it especially since you asked! It's been a couple years since I've been on AY and from what I've heard the service has gone down hill on them like many airlines.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am

Paying over the phone is totally secure. How could security be compromised? Do you think someone is listening? That's pretty crazy, but if so, your problem isn't Finnair.

As for the toilet, it's a shame but they were actually enforcing the policy of every airline in the world so hardly a major failing. Anyway I've experienced uncooperative employees in the midst of very good organisations, it happens.

Sorry to be argumentative but this either totally misplaced (paying over the phone) or very petty (eco pax aren't allowed to use business class toilet).
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Tancrede
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:54 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 2):
Paying over the phone is totally secure. How could security be compromised? Do you think someone is listening? That's pretty crazy, but if so, your problem isn't Finnair.

You are right but I think the worst part was that it took me one day to, finally, be able to buy those tickets and countless calls.

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 2):
Sorry to be argumentative but this either totally misplaced (paying over the phone) or very petty (eco pax aren't allowed to use business class toilet).

As for this one, right again you are, but I only wanted to emphazise that the FA could have been situation aware seeing that it would be for me nearly impossible to reach the toilets. A small nice gesture would have make a big difference.

Cush

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't see what your problem is....

1.) You paid with a credit card on the phone. So what? I did that 3 times yesterday for purchases I had to make. What is the problem here?

2.) You paid for an Economy class ticket.... Why do you feel that you have the right to use the FC lav? Those FC passengers paid many times more for their ticket so that in the event they have to use the lav, they don't have to worry. That's what you get for being cheap. Pay more for your ticket and you too can have easier access to the lav.

This is a stupid thread. Can someone close it please?
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

nws2002

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 pm

The only part I see as bad service is if a Finnair rep told you to go to the airport to purchase your tickets and then they refused to sell them to you.

Hold times can vary greatly with all carriers, just depends on exactly what irrops are going on throughout the system.

Paying with a credit card by phone is commonplace.

Enforcing policies that require pax to use the lav in their class of service is something that those in first/business class appreciate. Guess who pays more for their tickets and probably travels more often?

Tancrede
Topic Author

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Quoting Cush (Reply 4):
This is a stupid thread. Can someone close it please?

I think the one that is stupid is the one who wrote it as you missed the whole point of this thread.
Then, if you are again ready to use that kind of word then keep it to yourself as I do not care to read again anything from you.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 5):
Paying with a credit card by phone is commonplace.

Buying with credit card through phone is not that common if Europe.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 5):
Enforcing policies that require pax to use the lav in their class of service is something that those in first/business class appreciate. Guess who pays more for their tickets and probably travels more often?

As I said earlier, I know that point can be subject to debate.

BubbleFrog

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 6):
Buying with credit card through phone is not that common if Europe.

I honestly don't know about Finland, but it is not exactly an unknown thing in Europe. It's actually reasonably common, I'd think. Maybe not as common as over the internet (which I would find equally troubling, if I worried about using the phone), but no rarity.
Absolute Relativist

WearyDrover

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:40 am

The issue of having to make several attempts to get through to a call centre or being placed on hold is a perennial one affecting many businesses. Some days you can be lucky and get through straight away. Another day it can take what seems a lifetime.

Quoting Tancrede (Reply 3):
nearly impossible to reach the toilets. A small nice gesture would have make a big difference.

I can see how not being able to go would be frustrating, particularly for those who for medical reasons are unable to "hold it" for very long. But it is surprising how many passengers wait until the meal service commences before deciding that they need to go.

While it might be a "nice gesture" to let one passenger go, from the airlines view if you let one go, can you reasonably refuse the next? They then could be faced with the situation of having to decide on an individual basis who can and who can from several passengers. Another economy passenger who saw that you could use the loo in business would be justified in being indignant if he or she were to be refused.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

IPFreely

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:48 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 8):
I can see how not being able to go would be frustrating

Why couldn't he go? Lavatories are nice if they're available, but you don't actually have to be in the lavatory to go. Trust me on this one.

jetwet1

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:07 am

Quoting Tancrede (Thread starter):
special tickets like UM, are sold only through Finnair customers telephone service (open 7/7 and 24/24). So that's what I did! BUT, it took me the whole Saturday afternoon, evening, Sunday morning (from 6 am) to finally reach a ticket officer at 1 pm after letting my phone ring for 45 min!

It's not just Finnair, I had to book 6 flights to Europe this week, as I am flying Swiss next week I figured what the heck, let's make a run at Senator level in Miles and More and book the 6 flights with Swiss, of course Swiss decided that actually answering a phone wasn't going to happen, so instead I booked on BA.

Quoting Tancrede (Thread starter):
it shows the worst of rationalization by trying to make savings at all cost and certainly not by caring about customers.

Yes, this is a discussion we have at work every week, while it is fine and well to save money where you can, when it is costing you revenue it's a false saving, some companies figure this out quickly, others have to learn the hard way.

EricAY05

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 1):

I would like to disagree with your last statement. Before I didn't like Finnair that much, even though it's my home carrier. The flight attendants used to be a little grumpy and unpleasant and the overall product seemed so boring. But during the last couple of years I have really started to like the airline and everything they do, such as the huge emphasis on Finnish design at the airport, in their lounges and on board. Also, the flight attendants seem nicer these days. Maybe this is simply because I'm older now and am not treated as a 20-something brat that should not be flying around the world.

I would say that despite some free services disappearing around the time of the new livery introduction, I kinda like what replaced them. Things like the free blueberry juice on board, tasty-looking buy-on-board products (never actually tasted since I always bring own food or eat at the lounges  ), updated cabin designs and possibly more friendly staff.

klm672

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:02 am

I agree with everyone else here.
1. Not sure why its an unsecured phone line-- it should be safe. Calling ANY airline will result in long hold times. Nothing against AY

2. If you are flying Y, you are normally not allowed to use the J bathroom. It is also recommended that you "hold it" during service.

coolian2

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:16 am

If Finnair are anything like Qantas, the phone system will stop recording while the screen to take payment information is open.

Beyond that, an unsecured phone line is no different from the internet....
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

IPFreely

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:43 am

Quoting klm672 (Reply 12):
It is also recommended that you "hold it" during service.

Technically it is only recommended that you do not use the lavatory during service. That does not mean you have to "hold it".

klm672

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:31 am

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 14):
It is also recommended that you "hold it" during service.

Technically it is only recommended that you do not use the lavatory during service. That does not mean you have to "hold it".

Judging by your username, you're the expert  

IPFreely

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:19 am

When you gotta go, you gotta go.