Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pcash
Topic Author

Craziest GDS Routings

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Hello,

I am travelling around a little next month and was looking for a flight from SIN to PEK.

I am a Oneworld BA member, so I decided to check BA for any codeshare opportunities (maybe CX via HKG) while maximising the miles, so I plug in the details. The result?

Which at 14,342 miles is a little farther than the 2,780 non-stop, putting aside the small question of price

I wonder if other forum members have been proffered similarly life-sapping routes. Should we have a competition for who has been offered the longest route?
319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 346, 350, 380, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, 787, BE1, CRJ, D10, DH3, E90, EMB, F27, F100, HS7, L10, M11, M80, S20, SWM, VCV

OA260

RE: Craziest GDS Routings

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:36 pm

The craziest routing which I ever booked but in the end couldnt travel was on those AZ error fares. For around EUR70 an Italian domestic from Milan to Bari via Tokyo . A few Anetters did manage it though and there are some trip reports. That was pretty crazy both in terms of fare and routing.

bananaboy

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Nothing on that scale but did book and travel LHR - ORD a few years back on United and returned via SFO and JFK.

Actually, come to think of it, SFO was fogged in so was rerouted ORD-LAX - LHR. They upgraded me too. Only time I ever got (and probably will ever get) a free upgrade on transatlantic flights on both outbound and return sectors.

Good times.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

PlymSpotter

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
The craziest routing which I ever booked but in the end couldnt travel was on those AZ error fares. For around EUR70 an Italian domestic from Milan to Bari via Tokyo . A few Anetters did manage it though and there are some trip reports. That was pretty crazy both in terms of fare and routing.

I did the SIN and NRT routes back to back - 32,000 miles in about four days. A lovely bunch of airmiles too.

Always wonder what the Bari tourist authority made of the sudden spike in single males visiting their region from the Far East...

Ethiopian/Emirates seem to have gone one better and offered Rome-Rome via ADD, JNB, DXB, BKK and finally ADD again for good measure. Needless to say, that will be another fun four days with fellow A.nutter Birdwatching, who found this awesome trip!

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

OA260

Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):

Yes there certainly are some gems still doing the rounds. Enjoy  

florens

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 am

Not as impressive as your stuff, but I once did:

http://s27.postimg.org/5r9f07wir/map.gif

Or:

http://s21.postimg.org/42yd3p5l3/map_1.gif
Kind regards, Florens

TUGMASTER

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

Booked MXP-FCO-CDG-SIN-CDG-TRN-Bari... For €78
AF canx my rtn from SIN
KL came to the rescue with SIN-AMS-CDG-TRN-Bari...
Had had enough by the time I reached AMS, and KL agreed to fly me to LHR ( in C no less)
if I let them have my remaining 3 segments.
A great 78 euros that was.

winGl3t

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:58 pm

I did GRU-DOH-BCN and MAD-DOH-GRU, thanks the very agressive introductory fares when QR begin flights to Spain, Brazil and Argentina in mid 2009.

Some friends flew GRU-AMS-YUL because it was the only last minute ID90 they could get.

PlymSpotter

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Quoting winGl3t (Reply 7):

I did GRU-DOH-BCN and MAD-DOH-GRU, thanks the very agressive introductory fares when QR begin flights to Spain, Brazil and Argentina in mid 2009.

I remember those too, I picked up BCN-DOH-GRU-EZE and return for about £300. Great deal!

Dan  

777Jet

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 am

Instead of flying SYD-SFO non-stop one time, I flew SYD-PVG-PEK-LAX-SFO.

And instead of flying AUS-LAX-SYD, I once flew AUS-ORD-LHR-BKK-SYD for fun.

Another was when I had to fly BKK-CNX - a one hour non-stop flight. I flew BKK-HKG-SIN-BKK-CNX over 30 hours to log some specific things - I posted a trip report on this journey too. One this trip BKK was both my origin and a transit airport / stopover  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

mict

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:07 pm

I was going to fly DTW-FRA-BRU in May but then Etihad introduced some great open jaw fares.
Booked DTW-ORD-AUH-SIN-stopover-BKK-HKT-stopover-AUH-BRU instead, for about half the price of the original route I was going to fly.
Flying in 5 weeks!

RyanairGuru

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Just last week I had the GDS spit out CPT-AUH-JNB-LVI when searching for one way flights CPT-LVI
Worked Hard, Flew Right

AAIL86

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Years ago (maybe 16, 17 years ago) I was working for American as a gate agent and had a large group(maybe 10-12) stranded due to thunderstorms @ DFW. Their flight to ANC was canceled and nothing was available for several days on any airline, nonstop or connecting (it was the first week of June), not via LAX, SFO, YVR, SLC, EWR, you name it. They were going for a wedding and needed to be there ASAP.

Eventually I found seats on a delayed DFW-HNL flight (which, for the equipment curious, was the DC-10 in those days) and realized AS had space the next day HNL-ANC, giving them about a 16 hour layover. They were a bit of shock when I first proposed it but realized there was no other option given I had just spent 20 minutes trying to find them seats. So off they went and later I received a bottle of pineapple rum and a picture of the group chilling on Waikiki ....
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 pm

IDK how this happened, but my coworker when I worked for LH checked in a passenger (was at least Star Gold, perhaps even HON or F class) and he was routed IAH-FRA-EZE. I did a few triple takes on that one.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetwet1

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:57 am

Again, nowhere near as crazy as yours, but many years ago when I was very low down on the corp ladder I was sent over to London for a quick visit, as it gave me time to visit the family I was okay with it, I didn't even bother checking the flights that closely.

Outbound LAS-EWR-LGW
Inbound (I only really noticed this as I was approaching the check-in desk at LGW) LGW-EWR-CLE-IAH-LAS , pretty much a tour of CO's hubs, thankfully the lady checking me in managed to rebook my flights to LGW-EWR-LAS.

I learned a couple of lessons that day.

Never trust your travel dept to not totally F you over to save a couple of dollars.
Double check the itinerary of any flight you haven't booked yourself to make sure the travel Dept is not F'ing you over to save a buck.

Using the corp credit card to upgrade to bizfirst because the travel dept decided to F you over will probably result in a butt chewing, but oh well.

danild

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

I flew this once... In order to be able to use miles for the trip. It was fun since it was on C but very looooong!!

Crazy Route from MSP to BKK
Danild

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 14):
Never trust your travel dept to not totally F you over to save a couple of dollars.
Double check the itinerary of any flight you haven't booked yourself to make sure the travel Dept is not F'ing you over to save a buck.

I got fed up of the trips and hotels I was being arranged, and when I saw the cost realised I could be doing it much cheaper. End result, I pile it on my personal credit card and then have a huge expenses claim each month, but I at least end up on reasonable trains/planes and not in dive hotels.

Fortunately work are understanding and don't get upset when I do things like BRS-LHR via EDI... and they still can't comprehend how it can be cheaper than the train.

Dan  

aloges

Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:33 pm

I ended up doing this last year:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/roundtrip_to_Holland.gif

It was a combination of standard company procedures (depart from FRA nine times out of ten) and my erroneous expectation that nobody would book FRA-CPH-AMS, AMS-CPH and CPH-FRA when FRA-QKL-AMS by train and then AMS-CPH plus CPH-FRA is a reasonable alternative.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LOWS

Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:42 am

A long time ago, when US was still a member of Star, I had to fly to OKC on last minute. Booking C class, I got:

SZG-FRA-PHL-BNA-ORD-OKC-DEN-PHX-PHL-FRA-SZG.