Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ORDTLV2414
Topic Author

Cancellation And Rebooking

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 pm

My friends were schudeled to come to see me in Chicago this May. They were originally flying NK leaving PHL around 6:00am and arriving in ORD around 8:00am. They recently got an email saying they are now on a flight from PHL-MSP at around 6:00am arriving in MSP and then transferring to a MSP-ORD flight arriving around 1pm. My questions are:

1. Why did this happen?
2. How is NK allowed to just rebook people, what if for example someone needed to be in Chicago by Noon or something?3. Would this have happened on AA/UA?

jetmatt777

RE: Cancellation And Rebooking

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes the airline can rebook you. The contract of carriage is not for a specific flight or guaranteed arrival time. They have contracted with he customer to transport them from point A to point B.

I have not personally had it happen, but I'm sure it has happened on AA and UA.

ericm2031

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:43 pm

This happens all be time, especially when there are schedule changes with flight times. If the new schedule doesn't allow for a proper connecting time, they will find the next available.

In this case, NK is ending PHL-ORD after April, so that is why there is now a connection.

If a passenger's plans were ruined because of the change, then I'm sure they would be required to refund the ticket if the passenger requested.

SQ22

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm

I would check online if there are other options on NK available, in case rebooking is causing some inconvenience and thereafter I would call NK customer service asking for getting rebooked on more convenient connection.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Thread starter):
1. Why did this happen?

1. Because NK is ending the PHL-ORD route as of April 30th.

How is NK allowed to just rebook people, what if for example someone needed to be in Chicago by Noon or something?

2. Exactly as jetmatt777 said the contract of carriage does not mean they must get you from A to B on a nonstop flight at a certain time of the day; rahter it means they must get you from A to B on the day for which the ticket was booked.

3. Would this have happened on AA/UA?

3. Yes and it has happened to me in the past.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

phljjs

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:49 pm

It happens on every airline. I've had it happen to me when flying DL.

Airline schedules change from time to time and sometimes a flight gets removed from the schedule even though it already has seats booked on it.
People who book very far in advance are the most susceptible to issues like this, but I don't believe it happens too often.

Most, if not all carriers notify you of the change and give you the option to reject the new itinerary and/or work with you to find one that works for you. I'm not sure about NK though.

roseflyer

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Your best option is ask for a refund and book with someone else. Hopefully Spirit is reasonably ethical and will give you a refund. This happens on all the major airlines especially with tickets booked way far out. More than 6 months ahead are just dummy schedules and the flights will change. Things solidify 45-90 days out. Don't book too early if you have a tight schedule on any US airline. Also don't count on a specific connecting point or airplane type.

Most airlines let you change your ticket if the schedule moves more than 2 hours. I don't know if spirit falls under the category of most.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

TVNWZ

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 pm

There is no provision in their c of c for a refund in this situation.

michman

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 6):
Most airlines let you change your ticket if the schedule moves more than 2 hours. I don't know if spirit falls under the category of most.

Not sure if this precisely covers this case, but from the Spirit COC --

"10.2.3. Customers involved in a Spirit Airlines cancellation or delay in excess of two (2)
hours will have three (3) options available to them: 1) re-accommodation, 2) a
credit for future travel, or 3) a refund. "

DL allows you to cancel and refund if there is a schedule change of more than 90 minutes, or if you are switched from a non-stop flight to a connecting flight. They allow one free change (origin, destination, and dates must be the same) if there is a schedule change of more than 60 minutes (this one is not in the CoC, but shows on their website when there is a schedule change in your itin).

[Edited 2016-03-27 14:31:15]

antoniemey

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:02 pm

2. How is NK allowed to just rebook people, what if for example someone needed to be in Chicago by Noon or something?3. Would this have happened on AA/UA?

I generally advise people that if they need to be in town by a certain time that they should travel the prior day if at all possible.

As far as happening on AA/UA, yes...

I know UA's system pretty well and they will shift departure times of regular flights by as much as an hour periodically, and on low-traffic days a flight might be dropped from the schedule when it's finalized. Now, with UA, in most cases you're going to be rebooked to another flight on the same itinerary, but sometimes the next best option on a connection is via a different hub.

And yes, if any airline were discontinuing flights between two cities, but could get you there via a connection, they would rebook you to the connection and it would be up to you to protest if that no longer worked with your plans.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

qcpilotxf

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Quoting michman (Reply 8):
"10.2.3. Customers involved in a Spirit Airlines cancellation or delay in excess of two (2)
hours will have three (3) options available to them: 1) re-accommodation, 2) a
credit for future travel, or 3) a refund. "

This is going to be the line that covers our schedule changes. Anything more than 180 minutes we will send out an email and you will have to accept any schedule changes that occur

citationjet

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:43 pm

If the airline has a schedule change and rebooks you on a different schedule of flights, you have the option to reject the proposed new schedule.
My wife owns a travel agency and she does this all the time for her clients. She usually proposes a different set of flights for her clients, and the airlines usually agrees to the proposed schedule.
I rare cases she will ask for a refund, and the customer buys a ticket on a different airline.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

CV990A

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Would this have happened on AA/UA?

AA did it to me for a trip I've got next week PVG-DFW-DCA. The PVG-DFW flight was re-timed, meaning I'd miss the last flight of the day DFW-DCA. I was automatically rebooked on the first DCA flight the following morning, but was given the option of changing my itinerary to a same-day PVG-DFW-BWI routing.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

zrs70

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:55 am

First of all, airlines don't "do this" to "you." Airlines just do it. Schedules change. The airline is not out to screw you.

I always see schedule changes as great opportunities. It opens the door to flexibility that didn't previously exist. Better routings might be available, better times, etc. The world is your oyster!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020