Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sbworcs
Topic Author

Day Trip From BHX

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Every year me and my brother in law do a christmas shopping day.

We have done many places by train and last year did Dublin on FR

I am not too good at thinking of where might be possible so thought i would ask the anet experts.

w/c 28th Nov (mon - fri) Budget up to £75 per person but the cheaper the better.

Timings must allow time for shoppinh (and drinking)

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers
The best way forwards is upwards!

Shuttle12T

RE: Day Trip From BHX

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Not an expect on BHX but a quick look at the destinations page on Wikipedia throws up a couple of destinations I'd definitely reccomend off personal expirience, both Edinburgh and Amsterdam are great around xmas and available with Flybe for a reasonable price, and both with multiple flights a day so a day return would be possible. Keep an eye out on flybe's website too as they often have sales offering low fares.
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

ab486

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:50 pm

I'd recommend AMS. A fantastic city to visit, I love going there. KL and BE both fly there and both have several flights each way, so can arrive early and arrive back late giving you as full a day as possible. The centre of Amsterdam is only 20 minutes by train from the airport and of course there is all the Heineken you can want! A bit further away but you could do Germany and visit one of the xmas markets. I visited FRA for their xmas market last year, albeit over a weekend, but with the many flights and only slightly longer journey time, you could do that in a day I reckon. Again, the centre is only a short ride from the airport by train. The only snag would be that the only option would be flying LH and their fares are typically quite expensive from BHX (I flew from LHR, as the fares and fuel to drive there from the midlands was cheaper than flying from BHX).

sbworcs
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:57 pm

Quoting Shuttle12T (Reply 1):
Quoting ab486 (Reply 2):

Thanks Both. Will have a look. All sound interesting (especially the idea of Beer in FRA or AMS!!)
The best way forwards is upwards!

signol

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm not sure about BHX but I've done FR daytrips from STN before to loads of places. I'd imagine that several Polish cities might be possible, and cheap when you get there. I went to Warsaw a few years ago around then, and one of the Christmas markets was already open.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

eurowings

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 am

If you're looking for cheaper then Belfast could be good. easyJet fly to BFS and Flybe to BHD, you might be able to manage two new airports!
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

OA260

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 5):
If you're looking for cheaper then Belfast could be good. easyJet fly to BFS and Flybe to BHD, you might be able to manage two new airports!

Good option for sure but does not really tick the box for shopping. Just the usual UK high street stores there. Somewhere on the Continent would be more interesting for shopping.