Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

How Do You Book Flights From USA To Cuba?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:48 pm

I am planning on booking a flight from MIA to HAV, but aware these can only be booked as a 'Special Authority Charter'. So how does one book onto these flights? I can't seem to book it on AA...

When will these restrictions be lifted, now that Americans can travel to Cuba?

CcrlR

RE: How Do You Book Flights From USA To Cuba?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 pm

You need to look for a travel agent that specializes in travel to Cuba. There are a few that do and they use major airlines and charter airlines to fly there. I would search Google for any travel agency that specializes in that. If you have any questions also they may answer them as well.

The restrictions have not been lifted but when it happens after the proper applications go through and the airlines granted rights to fly then it will be possible. I would Google some news stories for more information and check some of the posts here about what is happening on the airlines applying to fly scheduled flights.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Quoting CcrlR (Reply 1):

You need to look for a travel agent that specializes in travel to Cuba. There are a few that do and they use major airlines and charter airlines to fly there. I would search Google for any travel agency that specializes in that. If you have any questions also they may answer them as well.

The restrictions have not been lifted but when it happens after the proper applications go through and the airlines granted rights to fly then it will be possible. I would Google some news stories for more information and check some of the posts here about what is happening on the airlines applying to fly scheduled flights.

Thanks very much - very helpful.  

DolphinAir747

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 pm

You can book travel yourself, without an agent, traveling through a third country as long as you promise your reasons for traveling there are legitimate. Several airlines such as CM and AM will sell you a single ticket on a single PNR from the US to Cuba. Can one get UA or DL miles from that though?   

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 3):

You can book travel yourself, without an agent, traveling through a third country as long as you promise your reasons for traveling there are legitimate. Several airlines such as CM and AM will sell you a single ticket on a single PNR from the US to Cuba. Can one get UA or DL miles from that though?   

I'll actually be travelling from LON to MIA and then booking a separate ticket from MIA to HAV, so that routing wouldn't help, but thanks.

Aeroflot001

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 4):
I'll actually be travelling from LON to MIA and then booking a separate ticket from MIA to HAV, so that routing wouldn't help, but thanks.

If you speak to a travel agency here in Miami be sure to specify that you are not a US Citizen, last I heard non US and non Cuban citizens are not allowed to used these charters. For example, there are many Cubans with Spanish citizenship and when they travel to the U.S. they have to do so via a third country (my friend did so through the Cayman Islands), they are not allowed to purchase seats on US Charters.

Yflyer

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 am

Cube Travel Services is one of the companies that offers charter flights to Cuba. It looks like you can even book online, although I'm pretty sure there's some extra paperwork you have to fill out before your booking is finalized. http://cubatravelservices.com/

Although after reading Aeroflot001's post above, I would definitely recommend calling them first before trying to book anything. I didn't realize there were restrictions on non-US citizens using these flights.

RyanairGuru

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 4):

You can't, it's that simple. You will either have to go via Panama, Mexico or Canada, or on a direct flight from Europe. Those are your only options.

The special purpose charters are not flights that you can simply book onto without cause.
Worked Hard, Flew Right