Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Taity
Topic Author

Across The Pond With United

Wed May 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi All,

I've just booked my summer trip to the states having found a great price with United. Usually I'd fly with BA or Aer Lingus across the pond. I have never flown United and I'm looking forward to making this my 22nd Airline that I've flown on. However I have have some queries as to what to expect.

Itinerary:

DUB - ORD (Economy - B757-200)
ORD - BOS (Economy - B737-900)
BOS - EWR (First - E175)
EWR - EDI (Economy - B757-200)

On the international 757 flights will there be PTV? Or is there a part of the fleet that doesn't have this? Or is it only domestic 757 that do not have PTV? I presume there will be no entertainment option on the E175, even in First?

Is there anything else that you reckon I might think is unusual or expect? I've seen the puns on here about United's service, hopefully it's ok on this trip.

Thanks in advance!
Aer Arann • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • BMI • BMI Baby • British Airways • CityJet • Delta • EasyJet • Etihad • FlyBe • Go • Jet Blue • KLM • Lufthansa • Nok Air • Ryanair • Thai AirAsia • United • US Airways • Virgin Atlantic (Little Red)

rta

RE: Across The Pond With United

Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 am

Quoting Taity (Thread starter):
On the international 757 flights will there be PTV?

Yes, there's PTV.

I presume there will be no entertainment option on the E175, even in First?

There might be just Wi-Fi.

Is there anything else that you reckon I might think is unusual or expect?

Nope.

Taity
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 9:51 am

Quoting rta (Reply 1):

On the international 757 flights will there be PTV?

Yes, there's PTV.

I presume there will be no entertainment option on the E175, even in First?

There might be just Wi-Fi.

Is there anything else that you reckon I might think is unusual or expect?

Nope.

Thanks, short and sweet!
Aer Arann • Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air France • BMI • BMI Baby • British Airways • CityJet • Delta • EasyJet • Etihad • FlyBe • Go • Jet Blue • KLM • Lufthansa • Nok Air • Ryanair • Thai AirAsia • United • US Airways • Virgin Atlantic (Little Red)

reifel

Thu May 05, 2016 3:44 pm

While I never flew a 757 on UA across the pond, I already did on a 767. I found it typically american. Small food portions of very average if not low quality and the snack before landing (or the breakfast) being just a piece of cake or muffin, and that was to Frankfurt, so I believe DUB will be even less.

Hard product itself was ok, comfortable seating, PTV, crew so so, but not unfriendly. Would fly them again if price and schedule are right, but not my preferred choice.

Obivously you will be aware that you will need to pass immigrtion before connecting to BOS in ORD. Domestically in Economy you will get free sodas (with a lot of Ice) and a pack of peanuts or such. Everything else will be at a charge.

Taity
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Quoting reifel (Reply 3):
While I never flew a 757 on UA across the pond, I already did on a 767. I found it typically american. Small food portions of very average if not low quality and the snack before landing (or the breakfast) being just a piece of cake or muffin, and that was to Frankfurt, so I believe DUB will be even less.

Hard product itself was ok, comfortable seating, PTV, crew so so, but not unfriendly. Would fly them again if price and schedule are right, but not my preferred choice.

My understanding is a snack and lunch from Dublin. Same here, it's not my preferred choice but the price was right and I'm sure it will be fine.

Quoting reifel (Reply 3):

Obivously you will be aware that you will need to pass immigrtion before connecting to BOS in ORD. Domestically in Economy you will get free sodas (with a lot of Ice) and a pack of peanuts or such. Everything else will be at a charge.

Luckily we will be able to pre-clear immigration in Dublin, it's a massive time saver and a far more pleasent experience than anything I've experience stateside. We are also stopping over in ORD for about a week as well, I should of said above.

RyanairGuru

Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 pm

United are absolutely fine IMHO. Your longhaul flights will definitely have AVOD, the food is acceptable, drinks are free. I wouldn't have any concerns if I were you.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Cush

Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

I fly UA transatlantic often on their B777/767 fleet, and I am always quite happy with it. Decent food, PTV's, power outlets, etc.... If possible try to get Economy Plus, as it is WELL worth it.

Regarding the regional fleet. Don't expect much on the Embraer aircraft. No IFE or power outlets. Also no food. Just drink service, and occasionally their new "asian snack", which personally i think sucks.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

Eirules

Fri May 06, 2016 2:27 pm

I've flown DUB-EWR a number of times with UA on the 757 and always found it to be fine. The AVOD is better than many competitors (the older AA aircraft, the old BA 744s etc) and while the food portions aren't huge, they're generally quite good for an economy meal. The only downside is the 3-3 config which may mean climbing over someone depending on the size of your party
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

IPFreely

Sat May 07, 2016 1:06 am

Threads like this are why the board misses the wisdom of frostyj so much.

TWA772LR

Sat May 07, 2016 1:30 am

The 757 legs will have AVOD. IMO it is a pretty decent selection.
The 737s are hit or miss. They may have wifi, they may have direct V, they may have the AVOD streaming (which is really cool), they could have a combo of the above, they may have absolutely nothing. But on a short flight like ORD-BOS, you don't really need a lot any way. A book or an MP3 player will do just fine.
The E175s are supposed to be good. I personally haven't flown on them, but the feedback I hear is great. My roommate flew on one recently and he likes it more than flying on WN. And i believe they have wifi also.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Eirules

Sat May 07, 2016 5:07 am

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 8):

Haha well said. Welcome to my respected list...

rta

Sat May 07, 2016 6:39 am

Hmm... what happened to him?

Eirules

Sat May 07, 2016 8:27 am

Quoting rta (Reply 11):

It's summer. The frost has melted

cedarjet

Sat May 07, 2016 9:46 pm

Just one thing, although not directly related to the OP's trip, the 767-300s I have flown transatlantic on into LHR, and all the jumbos, do not have PTV, just TVs bolted to the ceiling every ten rows. I would add, terrible food (and such small portions!) and generally sullen (and elderly) crew. On the upside, the seats are reasonably comfortable and the airline is incredibly safe.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

MesaFlyGuy

Sun May 08, 2016 1:42 am

Quoting rta (Reply 11):

Hmm... what happened to him?

Tried searching, and apparently his account is no longer active lol.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon May 16, 2016 4:20 pm

I was in F on an E175 last week. Nice wide leather seat, decent legroom. If you are travelling solo, the A side seats are singles. Service was a pre-takeoff drink, followed by more drink service and they passed around a basket with snacks you could choose from ( pretzels, cookies, chips, etc.). For a 1.5 hour flight it was nice. Much better than the jungle jets.

If the fee is reasonable, I'd much suggest you get E+ on your trans-Atlantic legs, especially the overnight East bound. Never has 4" made such a big difference. If you can snag the bulkhead seats on the 752, it's even better.

Polot

Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 13):
Just one thing, although not directly related to the OP's trip, the 767-300s I have flown transatlantic on into LHR, and all the jumbos, do not have PTV, just TVs bolted to the ceiling every ten rows. I would add, terrible food (and such small portions!) and generally sullen (and elderly) crew. On the upside, the seats are reasonably comfortable and the airline is incredibly safe.

It must have been a while since you have flown UA. All their 763s have PTVs, although the 3 class birds do not have AVOD in Y (all 3 class planes being updated to 2 class). The 747 is their only international widebody without PTVs. I believe the 3 class 763s are the only international widebodies with PTVs and no AVOD in Y.