Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ogre727
Topic Author

Tsa Pre Cleared

Thu May 19, 2016 7:05 pm

So random question. On my way back from the US last month I got pre-cleared by the TSA, without applying or anything. I am not complaining, I was delighted but was wondering why it happened? Any ideas? It was only on the way back to Engalnd.

fbgdavidson

RE: Tsa Pre Cleared

Thu May 19, 2016 7:46 pm

TSA Pre Check is offered on a random basis to some travellers, probably after some background checks of some kind have been undertaken based on the information your airline has provided to you as part of your reservation.

It is a program you can register for, I have it thanks to being registered for Global Entry.

Quoting ogre727 (Thread starter):
It was only on the way back to Engalnd.

Well, since TSA doesn't overlook security in the UK that could be why  

aklrno

Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Before pre-clear was a program you applied and paid for it was something that the airline could grant randomly usually based on your frequent flyer profile. When the current program went into effect the FF based program was reduced, but not eliminated.

Aeroflot001

Fri May 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 2):
Before pre-clear was a program you applied and paid for it was something that the airline could grant randomly usually based on your frequent flyer profile. When the current program went into effect the FF based program was reduced, but not eliminated.

A part of me hopes that it becomes eliminated entirely for non-members, since unfortunately sometimes people who are given pre-check randomly are unfamiliar with the system. Many begin to take off their shoes and computers out of the bags anyways in confusion, which ends up slowing the line down. I've seen it happen at MIA time and time again. Once there was an older couple directly ahead of me in the pre-check line and they began to take everything out and off, I kindly told them that in this line they didn't have to but they didn't believe me until a TSA agent came up and told them twice to stop taking off their shoes and jackets.

copter808

Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 3):
A part of me hopes that it becomes eliminated entirely for non-members, since unfortunately sometimes people who are given pre-check randomly are unfamiliar with the system. Many begin to take off their shoes and computers out of the bags anyways in confusion, which ends up slowing the line down. I've seen it happen at MIA time and time again. Once there was an older couple directly ahead of me in the pre-check line and they began to take everything out and off, I kindly told them that in this line they didn't have to but they didn't believe me until a TSA agent came up and told them twice to stop taking off their shoes and jackets.

If frequent flier members are randomly granted Pre-Check access without going through the background investigation, It completely invalidates the entire program.

1g

Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 am

Same thing happened to me on a flight from LGA to DFW on AA.
I'm not even an American citizen and had never flown with AA up until that point.

I still have no idea what I was granted precheck.

aklrno

Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 4):
If frequent flier members are randomly granted Pre-Check access without going through the background investigation, It completely invalidates the entire program.

But that is how the program started. On the reasonable assumption that if I have passed through security successfully a few dozen times in the last year I might be OK one more time without taking off my shoes and belt.

Quoting 1g (Reply 5):
I'm not even an American citizen and had never flown with AA up until that point.

Are you a one world member?

LGAviation

Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 am

Quoting 1g (Reply 5):

It also happened to me on a HA ITO-HNL flight. I'm not enrolled in any FF program at HA whatsoever and am not a US citizen. Admittedly, I had flown AB DUS-LAX, UA PDX-SFO-HNL and a HNL-ITO sector in the previous week but still.

1g

Mon May 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 6):
Are you a one world member?

No I'm not, I am a Star Alliance card member, so I am still completely clueless.

UALFAson

Mon May 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 4):

Not really. People/companies will still pay the registration fee to guarantee their flyers will get Pre-Check access every single time, not hope that by chance they maybe randomly get selected.

If you were suggesting that not EVERY frequent flyer member should be randomly granted Pre-Check, I completely agree with that. But randomly selecting a few people to keep the general line moving is not the end of the world.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon May 23, 2016 9:21 pm

I am a low level elite flyer on UA. I receive Pre-Check on my boarding pass about 90% of the time I fly them. I have never paid the TSA for the status. What I did do, several years ago, was check a box in my Mileage Plus profile on the website saying I authorized United to give the TSA my personal info. Since then I've gotten Pre-Check more often than not. I assume other domestic airlines have the same program?

ish2dachoppa

Sat May 28, 2016 8:47 am

My now 16 year old daughter and I have been traveling together for 8 years, and its only on this last trip that she has gotten pre-check access, which was a total surprise to me when I did our on-line check in. She has her own FF number and just recently got her first passport.