fca767
Topic Author

When It Says "single Trip Travel Insurance"?

Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 am

Does it mean you're only allowed to one country? Or that you're just away from the UK for 90 days?

AC_B777

RE: When It Says "single Trip Travel Insurance"?

Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am

It usually means that you have insurance for just one single trip, not multiple trips.
My wife and I are traveling to Florida in July, I purchased a full package travel insurance for it, but it is "Single Trip" which means we are only covered for that trip only. I had to enter the dates of travel, so it is for those dates only that we have insurance. We are not covered for any trip before or after the dates that I entered.
You can get Multiple Trip insurance that will cover you for just that, multiple trips. In many cases, at least here in Canada, it is better to have multiple trip insurance, or have a yearly insurance plan that will cover you for multiple trips during the year than to have a single trip plan. In Canada, Multiple trip insurance or a yearly plan generally only costs a little more than a single trip plan.
Most insurance companies will cover you for various destinations outside of your home country, but you will need to tell the insurance provider where you are going.
Hope this helps.

[Edited 2016-05-25 04:50:15]
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

aerorobnz

Wed May 25, 2016 1:48 pm

I have annual "worldwide" travel insurance which allows me to take unlimited multiple trips provided no single trip is longer than 60 days. You can select a cheaper option which excludes North America and Africa (due price of treatment in USA and medivac cost from Africa).

Although I have pretty much had this annual policy for the past 10 years, which would have covered multiple short trips to South America, I opted to buy a single trip policy with higher payouts a few years ago to cover a 10 week trip through Venezuela/Amazon just to make sure that I was covered in case I found myself in the position where they wouldn't payout.

It pays to check wich region your coverage will accept and which it won't. In general the cheapest will not have big payouts and won't provide enough coverage for USA/Africa/Europe regardless of duration
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AAlaxfan

Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 pm

It generally means it covers that one itinerary no matter how many stops or countries you visit from start to finish of your trip.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

RyanairGuru

Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 pm

Subject to having the correct geographic area selected for coverage then you can travel to as many countries as you like so long as you don't return home. If you return home even for one night then you either need two single trip or a multi trip policy.

Now in Australia at least what I just wrote is illegal. I have no idea what policy you are looking at and therefore cannot possibly speculate about the level of cover and inclusions. We can only encourage you to read the PDS. That said [i]general industry practice[/] would be for it to cover multiple countries.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

gabrielchew

Mon May 30, 2016 8:54 pm

A single trip is where you leave the UK once, and return. Multiple trips is leaving more than once. If you travel more than 2 or 3 times a year for more than a week or so at a time, then multiple trips insurance will probably be cheaper. Plus it's far easier to organise one lot of insurance rather than many. Cash back websites like Quidco will give hefty cashback on travel insurance (like up to 25%).
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR