Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

Do You Use An Airline App On Your Smartphone?

Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 pm

I just purchased a new smartphone and was looking at airline apps. I went through many airline apps and found Alaska Airlines being the best and scored the highest. Which airline app do you use?

http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...d=com.alaskaairlines.android&hl=en

The other apps look nice with real nice interface on them.

Yflyer

RE: Do You Use An Airline App On Your Smartphone?

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 pm

I currently have the DL, AA, UA, and B6 apps installed on my phone. Pretty much if I'm planning on flying on an airline I'll download that airline's app, so if I book an AS flight in the future then I'll download their app. I really like being able to check in and even download my boarding pass when I'm away from home and might not have access to a computer and printer.

longhauler

Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:18 pm

I use the AC app (for obvious reasons). One thing I like about it is that it can access the on-board wifi for free.

So if I am bored while kicking back in crew rest, I'll search flights to everywhere just looking for changes. Yeah ... I'm an airline nerd!

reffado

Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:46 pm

I have had the JJ/LA apps on my phone for a while, but never really used them. I have the AA App installed because it allows me to keep track of my AAdvantage account, and I recently downloaded the B6 app for my first flight with them next week. So far, the B6 app has been the most useful of the lot, and it's really simple to use.

ACDC8

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:43 pm

I have the ones I need, currently WestJet, Air Canada and Delta. I also have my IHG app for hotels as well as Expedia, but the lack of the "flight+hotel" option on the app, makes it only useful half of the time.

vhtje

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:57 pm

I have BA, AA and QF. I am only a member of the BAEC and Qantas Frequent Flyer schemes, but the AA app (I am currently based in SFO and fly domestically frequently) allows me to check-in and obtain a boarding pass without being an AAdvantage Member. I tried the CX one once, but it did not work without a Marco Polo member login, so I deleted it.

I am currently beta-testing a new version of the BA app; the biggest change is that it allows voice commands. For example you are supposed to be able to say to it, "find me flights from San Francisco to London next Wednesday" and it should show you availability and prices.

Nice idea, however, I think I can safely say BA is not on a winner here.

B747forever

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:12 am

I mostly use the AA, BA, SK and DY apps. Others I have downloaded but dont use often are UA, KL, AF, LH, WN, B6, AS, FR and HA. In total 13 airline apps.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:08 am

AA, UA, WN apps

AA and UA have very good apps that allow me to do a lot of things.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:39 am

Quoting dc10lover (Thread starter):
Which airline app do you use?

Plenty of them:

Avianca
Ryanair
LAN
Copa Airlines
United
InterJet
Iberia
American Airlines
DELTA
GOL

Regards.

rta

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:26 am

Yes, to get a mobile boarding pass.

I have these installed

- AA
- BA
- DL
- UA
- WN

I find UA's app to have the most features.

Kaphias

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:42 am

I use the AS app most, it's great. Never had an issue with it, frequent updates as needed, great features, etc. It's one of the best apps out there from what I understand.

ACDC8

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:02 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 4):

I have the ones I need, currently WestJet, Air Canada and Delta

I should also say that the WS app is great, super easy to navigate, book, manage trips, etc. They just came out with a low fare finder where it will show you a calendar for the month and show you the lowest current fare on each day for the flight you are looking for. The only downside is you can't get much info on you Rewards status.

AC's is a bit more difficult to navigate I find, sometimes even the check-in process can be a hassle.

jetblue777

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:36 am

I have several but I mainly use DL, AA and UA.

AA's app is my least favorite although it has dramatically improved. It just has minor its
minor issues and I don't like how on some features, it just redirects you to the main website itself.

UA I find has the most features. As an airline nerd, it's nice to see all the cool flight info like the seat map for any flight, upgrade lists, where the plane is coming from, Soduku (AA used to have it too), and etc. It's definitely my favorite.

DL I find great too, especially when things go wrong. I had a flight from SEA to JFK via SFO, first leg was canceled and I was able to rebook to a nonstop flight an hour after with just one click. I was even offered several options to JFK including another SFO flight and 3-4 to LAX. All free of charge and all done in the app. Good stuff.

JB

Braniff747SP

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 am

I download them as needed; I always use Passbook for boarding passes, it's fantastic.

Both DL and UA are very good. AA, BA, FR, and U2 aren't bad either.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I think it's great the technology we have today that makes like easier and simple. Online i like looking through SkyScanner. I think i will download the Smartphone app and see what that app is like.

LGAviation

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:52 pm

I never book my flights through my cell or any app, but I always use it to check-in, store my boarding passes and so on.
As for apps, I just checked my phone and found the following:
LH - Currently, I'm flying Lufty once or twice a week and it's a very useful and easy-to-navigate app
EW - For the same reasons, although I fly them less often. I hate that their system isn't integrated into LH
AB - I really don't know what for. They're my OW/EY partners status card provider, although I rarely ever fly them since they don't offer FRA-HAM anymore.
EY - Got a FRA-PER-SYD-FRA booking and want to be able to check-in - will be deleted sooner or later
TP - Same reason for a FRA-LIS-FRA booking - will be deleted sooner or later
QF - I will be spending the next half a year in Sydney and got some bookings

PITingres

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:15 pm

What is a smartphone?

(Yes, I know, but we're up to reply 15 and someone had to say it.)

I use the DL app sometimes on my ipad mini. I tried the "mobile boarding pass" QR code stuff a few times on a ipod touch, which has since left the building, but it was a hassle to get the gate scanners to consistently read the codes and I went back to paper. I still see pax with mobiles / ipads spending several tens of seconds at the gate trying to get the scanner to read their screens.

sirdanilot

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:11 pm

I have the Wizz Air app as I am flying them in a couple of days. But in order to remove the clutter from my phone I'll probably delete it afterwards. It's handy for now as it allowed me to mobile check-in (online check-in was having hicckups, and I don't want to risk going to the airport without a boarding pass and then have to pay a fee).

It's not a very good app though because it doesn't store my flight I keep having to enter the reservation number every single damn time :')

I do not use airline or OTA apps to book flights except when they have a sale giving a discount if you book it through there, which is often the case. I might use the apps to browse and search for random flights when bored, but it's not too common.

If I am able to just print the boarding pass at home (or online /mobile check in is not something the airline does at all) then I generally won't bother downloading the app.

fallap

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 pm

LH, KL, SK - But I only use them when flying without checked-in luggage, it's so easy and convenient being able to check-in while sitting in the train, present my boarding pass at security, and five minutes later I'm already heading towards my gate!  

dc10lover
Topic Author

Re: Do You Use An Airline App On Your Smartphone?

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:08 am

I find that the Alaska Airlines App from Google Play works the best for pretty much everyone.

LX138

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 am

I have and use the BA and EZY apps, both good for functionality and downloading mobile boarding passes. Had the EI app briefly which I can tell you is the worst I have used.

bombayduck

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 am

I have the BA app, saves printing off your boarding pass, and using the app is quicker.

novak500

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:16 pm

I only have the apps download for those airlines I have flights book on. Once the flight is done and there is nothing upcoming, I delete it.

jetwet1

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:34 am

DL
B6
WN

I had Swiss, but my flights with them are done and honestly it was pretty useless anyways.

Kent350787

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:21 am

QF, MH, FY, AirAsia, LH, SQ, CX. Most have been when flying with each, some just dreaming :) Haven't deleted any

aerorobnz

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:46 am

NZ has the best app I have used, the combination of layout/online checkin/delay updates and rebooking options are the best of the apps I have used (it can even order espresso coffee in lounge and I have SQ,DL,A3,QF,AS.LA currently on my phone.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:31 am

If I buy a ticket on an airline, I download the airline's app. The apps are free and make accessing information from your smartphone a lot easier than using the browser. If it's an airline I'm unlikely to ever fly again (because it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip) then I delete the app at the conclusion of my journey.

Currently, I have DL, UA, WN, AS, HA, and B6 apps on my phone. They all go in a folder called "Travel." I also have Orbitz, Travelocity, Hipmunk, and SeatGuru in there.

tomaheath

Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:03 am

How reliable is the mobile boarding pass? I have a DL flight in a few days and was thinking of giving it a whirl.

Adipasquale

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:08 am

I currently have DL and AC's apps downloaded on my phone. Both are pretty good, though I would rate DL's as slightly better because I have found check in and accessing the mobile boarding pass slightly easier. I downloaded CI's app for a flight I booked with them last month, and I found their app to be lacking. I did not book my flight via the app, but when I tried to check in on it, for some reason my information would not save when I pressed save. I abandoned trying to check in via the app and did so on my computer.

lugie

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I normally download an airline's app when purchasing a ticket.
While I definitely prefer printed boarding passes it just feels better to have an electronic backup and I also find their notifications rather handy...

Before my next flight on LH I'm planning to download their additional entertainment app since on my last flight I found out it enables you to access IFE via your phone even on intra-european shorthauls if your plane is already retrofitted.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Last time I took a trip I used my phone as a boarding card, it works great.

I was flying Ryanair and my trip lasted a week. With Ryanair you can check-in online for free starting a week in advance. No problem for the outbound flight, but when you're on your holiday destination for a week and got no printer available to print your boarding card for the return flight that's a bit of a problem. But not with the Ryanair app. As long as you got an internet connection (available just about everywhere) you can check-in and fly home.

NozPerry

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm

I have BA, A3 and SK installed on my phone because on positioning flights these are the airlines I most likely get sent by. For me I like Aegean and their app, it is nicely laid out and easy to navigate. Other than those three I would download an app for personal use but only to send the boarding pass to my Apple Wallet.

UltimateDelta

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:01 pm

I only have the Delta app since >90% of my trips are with them, so I can't really compare it to anything. I've had nothing but positive experiences with it, and appreciate how functional it is, especially for rebooking (I had a leg cancel on a trip this summer, and it took mere seconds to get a new routing set up for my whole family). My only major complaint is that when multiple people are on a reservation, the first boarding pass it brings up is the one for whoever's name the reservation was made in, rather than whoever is logged in on a given device, and it was always a little difficult to switch. I think they may have made it easier to switch among them in a recent update, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

VS4ever

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:46 pm

I currently have B6, DL and UA on my phone, they all have their various advantages, my favorite is UA, because it has the feature of being able to determine where the inbound plane is coming from and when it will arrive, even to go back a couple of flights. this proves very useful at places like ORD, when the boards take forever to catch up with delays, I knew much earlier than most for my evening flight back to BOS that we were going to be at least 30-40 minutes late..

Yflyer

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:04 pm

tomaheath wrote:
How reliable is the mobile boarding pass? I have a DL flight in a few days and was thinking of giving it a whirl.

I always try to use mobile boarding passes when available (they're usually not available on international flights or if there's a codeshare/interline flight on your itinerary). I figure it's one less thing I have to worry about losing and I'm saving a little paper. I've never had a problem with them. The only problem I could imagine is your phone not having enough charge (and that's not really a problem with the mobile boarding pass, per se). Worst case scenario if there's a problem I'm sure the gate agent would print a paper boarding pass for you.

nikeson13

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:31 am

VS4ever wrote:
I currently have B6, DL and UA on my phone, they all have their various advantages, my favorite is UA, because it has the feature of being able to determine where the inbound plane is coming from and when it will arrive, even to go back a couple of flights. this proves very useful at places like ORD, when the boards take forever to catch up with delays, I knew much earlier than most for my evening flight back to BOS that we were going to be at least 30-40 minutes late..

Yes, the inbound plane feature is great part of that app, plus all the times I've used the other two they have been clean and easy. The only one I dont really like is the AA app since you can't book flights in the app and instead have to go to a webpage, but thats not a huge deal.

jeffh747

Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Ive used AA, B6, DL, and UA. I recently downloaded the brand new Virgin America app and I personally love it better than any of the other ones. The ability to book flights in app and the overall layout is easier to use and prettier. I only wish it had terminal maps. I also really like the JetBlue app, because it's fast and it's easier to see your itinerary details such as seat assignment and amenities on your flight. American is also great with the terminal maps and AAdvantage features. Only used DL and UA once or twice and found them average compared to the other ones. Perhaps if I flew them more often I would use them to their full capabilities.

I've only ever used mobile boarding pass once, because I was late for a JetBlue flight at FLL because I was planespotting. Otherwise I just get paper boarding passes because I love the feel, and at least I can hold onto them after the flight as opposed to mobile boarding passes which are automatically erased.