Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fun missed approach/landing and low fly-pass

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:46 pm

last night I had a very spectacular (in terms of views) and exciting missed approach, where the pilot, whilst on final approach, decided to abort. But instead of having your usual power-up, followed by a normal go-around, we kind of levelled off right above the runway, flew out and over the airport (it was quite windy and turbulent, but nothing dramatic), did a fast, low fly-pass out over the city, with all things and bits "hanging out" (so quite noisy and shakey), did a few steep turns (fantastic views...!) and then entered onto a new approach path for the opposite direction (same runway, opposite end). It was a fun and very sporty manoeuvre, kind of DC-9/21-like if you know what I mean, and took quite a few passengers by surprise. And not in a bad way: I heard a few "wow's" and "cool!". People were kind of taken aback by the feel, and probably by the airmanship of the pilot...
I have flown a lot, but have seldom experienced such sudden, sporty, yet perfectly smooth last minute maneuvering...
The view at dusk of the lit city below, against the backdrop of the hills, and the stormy and darkening weather on one side, made it all the more spectacular. I have never had the pleasure of flying into the old Kai-Tak, but that is precisely what came to my mind...!
I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything of the like on any of the big/bigger jets? I am particularly referring to when the big jet feels particularly sporty/responsive, as in -say- and empty 757 take off or go-around..?
Thanks

Danny

seat1a

Re: Fun missed approach/landing and low fly-pass

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 pm

where did this take place? aircraft? airline? sounds thrilling!

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 am

seat1a wrote:
where did this take place? aircraft? airline? sounds thrilling!

That was a Ryanair 738 at Pisa. The view of Pisa, including the leaning tower, was incredible...

xtophe

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:41 am

Sounds like a circling approach. Some airport don't have instrument approach for both end of the runway. Either because of cost if the wind is a lot of time favouring one landing direction or because of geography like at Pisa. There are 2 big hills to the North East of the airport which would be right on the path of an instrument approach for runway 22.

So you use the instrument approach for the other end and once you're below the clouds and in view of the airport, you manoeuvre visually into a downwind leg for the runway you want followed by turns to base leg and final. I would imagine the proximity of the big hills explains the tight turns you experienced.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 pm

xtophe wrote:
Sounds like a circling approach. Some airport don't have instrument approach for both end of the runway. Either because of cost if the wind is a lot of time favouring one landing direction or because of geography like at Pisa. There are 2 big hills to the North East of the airport which would be right on the path of an instrument approach for runway 22.

So you use the instrument approach for the other end and once you're below the clouds and in view of the airport, you manoeuvre visually into a downwind leg for the runway you want followed by turns to base leg and final. I would imagine the proximity of the big hills explains the tight turns you experienced.

Oh, wow, interesting..didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation. That could be it...

CPDC10-30

Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:12 am

oldannyboy wrote:
lall things and bits "hanging out" (so quite noisy and shakey),

I think it's already been clarified, but this doesn't sound like a missed approach. Whenever I've had missed approaches or go arounds one of the first things will be a reduction in flaps and retracting the landing gear.

Had one two weeks ago on BA (777-200ER) on approach to SFO - one moment lined up for approach, the next engines are roaring at max thrust (due to conflicting traffic from San Carlos airport). That was pretty thrilling. I've had two other go-arounds, an OS A320 at LHR and a BA 744 at SIN - the 777 was certainly the most "sporty" :)

opticalilyushin

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I've had go-arounds in 2 Q400s, Embraer 195, and an A320..the turboprop gave the biggest kick, but I'd love to get one in a 757.

rjsampson

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:08 pm

[Tried to delete this post; accidentally posted on wrong thread] Wouldn't let me.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

greg85

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 pm

"circle to land" is very common in Pisa. There is a marble quarry in the distance which is a good visual reference to aim at for the downwind leg.

rg787

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm

While not a go-around, I remember when I was a kid, landing into Rio SDU in a different approach than normal. I was on a VASP 737 at the time, and dad says the captain went on the PA and said we were doing a fly past on some monuments of the city (I don't remember this part) and so we did. I vividly remember flying past the Christ the Redeemer statue very close to it, and over the beaches. We did a lot of tight turns and then landed, parking on a remote spot in SDU on a sunny day. Beautiful scenery, and truly a flight to remember.

rjsampson

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

rg787 wrote:
While not a go-around, I remember when I was a kid, landing into Rio SDU in a different approach than normal. I was on a VASP 737 at the time, and dad says the captain went on the PA and said we were doing a fly past on some monuments of the city (I don't remember this part) and so we did. I vividly remember flying past the Christ the Redeemer statue very close to it, and over the beaches. We did a lot of tight turns and then landed, parking on a remote spot in SDU on a sunny day. Beautiful scenery, and truly a flight to remember.

I know what you mean. Departures too. There's a departure process from KSFO, informally called "The Bay Tour," which is exactly that. Did it myself a few times in a light twin. Every time when I board a plane departing from SFO, I get giddy like a kid, and ask the pilots: "Can we do the Bay Tour departure?" Usually they say "no", but on a couple of occasions during light traffic, they've agreed.

Once on VS, the pilot announced on the PA: "One of our passengers asked us to give you a tour of San Francisco, and we decided to oblige him". I was ecstatic. My fiance was incredibly embarrassed (as is usual any time I get on a commercial flight with her). She frequently asks, "don't you get enough, from flying your tin cans, and can you leave these pilots alone? They're REAL pilots, and you're just a wannabe." And as always, despite the fact that I knew how to fly before I knew how to drive: :white:
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(