Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UnitedIsBae
Topic Author

Air Crash Clean Up

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 pm

What happens when a aircraft is written off, do they disassemble it and take it to the nearest scrapper or what?
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD

26point2

Re: Air Crash Clean Up

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:02 pm

The insurance company usually takes over and decides the fate of the wreck. Salvageable parts are removed for sale/reuse later. Much of the value of an aircraft is in the engines and avionics.

I have trained in 2 simulators that happened to be salvaged from wrecks..both write offs but the cockpit remained undamaged. The entire cockpit was removed and developed into full motion sim. CL-601 (now @FSI ILG) salvaged from a dead stick (night!) crash landing in a Nebraska cornfield and BD-700 (now @CAE DFW) from a Global-5000 that landed short in Canadian Maritimes. I'm sure there are many others.

FlyHossD

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 pm

I suspect that in many cases, it can be quite some time before the parts are released for other use(s). That is, the accident investigation may be lengthy and more likely, the resulting lawsuits may tie the wreckage up for a while, too.

I remember one airline accident where the wreckage ended up in a hangar and sat on that floor for years. It was a near-daily reminder to us of the hazards of our profession.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Balerit

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Here is the BA 747 that hit a building at Oliver Tambo International Airport, South Africa, busy being dismantled - quite sad:

SAA 747 also at ORTIA:

Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

apfpilot

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Quite a few of the business jets in the US end up here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Atlan ... 84.2789025 Last time I was there they had Jack Roush's Premier in their lot.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

richcam427

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 am

In the case of TWA 800, they fished it out of the water and put it back together. Quite eerie I must admit, but absolutely incredible as well.

benbeny

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm

richcam427 wrote:

In the case of TWA 800, they fished it out of the water and put it back together. Quite eerie I must admit, but absolutely incredible as well.

IIRC used by NTSB for crash investigation training, right?