LAXffDUB
Topic Author

767 Cabin Door Design

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but hope someone can answer or direct me.

Why did Boeing opt for that particular one? It's a style and operation akin to those on the DC-10/L1011 but quite unique for them. The rest of the 7X7 series use the type that rotate/slide when opened to rest outside the frame.

Were they copying the other manufacturers? Or were they trying a concept in anticipation of future aircraft; but subsequent dissatisfaction caused a rethink for the 777 and 787?

Thanks!

Max Q

Re: 767 Cabin Door Design

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:55 am

Good question, always wondered the same thing, it's actually a great design and a big advantage is it cannot be ripped off by
a malfunctioning or misdirected jetway !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

77west

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:05 am

Max Q wrote:
Good question, always wondered the same thing, it's actually a great design and a big advantage is it cannot be ripped off by
a malfunctioning or misdirected jetway !

... but can easily jam in an emergency landing...
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

7BOEING7

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:48 am

LAXffDUB wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but hope someone can answer or direct me.

Why did Boeing opt for that particular one? It's a style and operation akin to those on the DC-10/L1011 but quite unique for them. The rest of the 7X7 series use the type that rotate/slide when opened to rest outside the frame.

Were they copying the other manufacturers? Or were they trying a concept in anticipation of future aircraft; but subsequent dissatisfaction caused a rethink for the 777 and 787?

Thanks!

There are other configurations:

The 747-100B/200B/200B-Combi/SR with the SUD modification and the -300/400/-8 which have a "gull wing" configuration for the upper deck doors.

The 747-100/200/SP have a plug type door which slides aft on rails inside the airplane when open and a separate slide which is slid aft when on the ground. The right door is standard, left is optional.

Max Q

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 am

Any door can 'jam' in an emergency landing, don't see how the 767/ L1011/ DC10 design is any more vulnerable to this.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

StereoTechque

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 am

Max Q wrote:
Any door can 'jam' in an emergency landing, don't see how the 767/ L1011/ DC10 design is any more vulnerable to this.

I guess because the 767 uses electrical motors for door operation. As mechanical operation most of the times is fail safe unless a major malfunction occurs..
However I don't know the functioning and the power source of 767 door operations, it surely must be redundant to failures. Anyone with more hands on experience and knowledge may please join in...
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

XAM2175

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:05 am

The only door on a 767 that has power-assistance as a standard feature is 1L - the rest are raised and lowered manually unless power-assistance was selected as an option.

The doors are counter-weighted so that if the door is opened while disarmed and un-powered it is pretty easy to lift it into the ceiling. If the door is opened while armed, the slide pack will detach from the door and the resultant weight loss will cause the door to be raised rapidly by the counterweight alone.

(as an aside, the DC-10 and MD-11 instead use a gas charge system of either compressed air or nitrogen to "fire" the door open if it's opened while armed)

My understanding though is that this style of door, regardless of the exact method of emergency opening, has a greater risk of being rendered unopenable by fuselage deformation than both older and newer types..

benbeny

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:37 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
My understanding though is that this style of door, regardless of the exact method of emergency opening, has a greater risk of being rendered unopenable by fuselage deformation than both older and newer types..

I don't get it. Would you please explain it?

StereoTechque

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:24 am

benbeny wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:

In case of a heavy impact resulting major deformation around the door, the door may jam around the guide rail..
The chances of this kind of situation happening do seem very remote though..
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

celestar345

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:06 pm

StereoTechque wrote:
benbeny wrote:
XAM2175 wrote:

In case of a heavy impact resulting major deformation around the door, the door may jam around the guide rail..
The chances of this kind of situation happening do seem very remote though..

Then just go and use another door..... :P

In my opinion, I don't mind the design but have to constantly remind myself to be careful when opening from the outside as the spring loaded lever can hit you hard if not paying attention when opening.....