Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Why do all cargo containers have an AKE tag on them?

Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Recently in Houston, I noticed that almost all (KE, SQ, and some EK in the pic) cargo containers have AKE on them followed by some numerical code, with a handful of EK containers with AKL. Does AKE stand for something or is it an identifier? Also, how come all use AKE universally, aren't there more than 99K cargo containers (5 digits) worldwide, after which they would have to change AKE? I find it kind of odd that each airline doesn't use its own code instead of AKE. All contributions appreciated, thank you.

SQ22

Re: Why do all cargo containers have an AKE tag on them?

Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I am not an expert here, but not all air cargo containers have AKE on it only the LD3's. The other containers have other codes.

http://www.cargocomposites.com/site/wp- ... nsions.pdf

Newbiepilot

Sat May 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Those letters are identifying the container type

A means certified aircraft container
K is related to the dimensions of the base
E means no forklift holes

There are five numbers identifying the container

The last two letters are the Airline code who owns the container
Last edited by Newbiepilot on Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FGITD

Sat May 06, 2017 6:42 pm

An AKE is a unit load device (ULD)

There are all sorts of uld types, with different designations. AKH , AKN, PAG, PMC, and many many more.

An AKE is the basic luggage container for widebody aircraft, except the 767.

In general for ULD identification, the type comes first (AKE) followed by an ID number, followed by the airline code. So for example, BA might have AKE02345BA

CXfirst

Sat May 06, 2017 6:47 pm

AKE is that type of LD3 container. It is the one most widely used for widebody baggage transportation (but used for cargo as well). AKH being used for the A320 series narrowbodies. There are plenty of different types.

As for the numerical code. It will be 4 or 5 digits, followed by two letters (usually), those letters would be the owner of the can. Most often, it is the airline itself, but there are a few companies that work in ULD logistics and have their own cans, for instance CHEP, who use the code R7.

So, it isn't all airlines sharing 00000-99999. They generally have a full set of these numbers available each, so up to 100,000 individual cans each, per can type. Plenty.

If you want more info on the different types and how they are named, just search "Unit Load Device" on wikipedia.

-CXfirst

jetmatt777

Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, the first 3 characters of a can ID number are related to the size, shape, and type of the container.

The first character indicates the approval status of the container.

A Approved aircraft container
D Non-Approved aircraft container
F Non-Approved aircraft pallet
G Non-Approved aircraft pallet net
J Thermal non-structural igloo
M Thermal non-approved aircraft container
N Approved aircraft pallet net
P Approved aircraft pallet
R Thermal approved aircraft container
U Non-structural container
H Horse stalls
K Cattle stalls
V Automobile transport equipment
X Reserved for airline internal use
Y Reserved for airline internal use
Z Reserved for airline internal use

The second letter indicates the size of the container.
Letter - Base Dimension - 747 - 767 - 777
A 88 x 125 in Yes Yes Yes
B 88 x 108 in No No No
E 53 x 88 in No No No
F 96 x 117.75 in No No No
G 96 x 238.5 in No No No
H 96 x 359.25 in No No No
J 96 x 480 in No No No
K 60.4 x 61.5 in Yes Yes Yes
L 60.4 x 125 in Yes Yes Yes
M 96 x 125 in Yes Yes Yes
N 61.5 x 96 in No No No
P 47 x 60.4 in Yes Yes Yes
Q 60.4 x 96 in No Yes Yes
R 96 x 196 in No No No
V 60.4 x 61.5 in Yes Yes Yes *
1 88 x 125 in Yes Yes Yes *
6 96 x 125 in Yes Yes Yes

The 3rd letter indicates the shape of the container contours and whether or not it is forklift compatible.. Certain shapes won't fit the beveling of the interior of the aircraft cargo hold or fit the ceiling profile.

MBSDALHOU

Sat May 06, 2017 7:13 pm

JetMatt thank you for that information! Pretty cool to learn how they are designated!

traindoc

Sat May 06, 2017 7:55 pm

I agree, thanks for the enlightenment.

JAGflyer

Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 pm

The logistics of ULDs has always amazed me. How do the airlines keep track of every ULD they have floating around? Heck, in YYZ I've seen ULDs from airlines that do not fly here and never have. Obviously they were transported on other aircraft but why? For example, a few SAS AKH boxes (for the A320) appear in YYZ. Most likely they came over on an AC A320 that flew from LHR-YYT. Considering I've seen them for years, I'm guessing SAS either doesn't want them back so soon or they've considered them to be "lost".

atcsundevil

Sat May 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Those letters are identifying the container type

A means certified aircraft container
K is related to the dimensions of the base
E means no forklift holes

There are five numbers identifying the container

The last two letters are the Airline code who owns the container

:checkmark:

Hence why the ground vehicles used to load the containers are called "K Loaders". Not many things around the world are standardized, but aviation by necessity is very good about standardization. Ensuring all containers are prominently labeled with a standard code system guarantees conformity.

jetmatt777

Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
The logistics of ULDs has always amazed me. How do the airlines keep track of every ULD they have floating around? Heck, in YYZ I've seen ULDs from airlines that do not fly here and never have. Obviously they were transported on other aircraft but why? For example, a few SAS AKH boxes (for the A320) appear in YYZ. Most likely they came over on an AC A320 that flew from LHR-YYT. Considering I've seen them for years, I'm guessing SAS either doesn't want them back so soon or they've considered them to be "lost".

Airlines have tracking programs and they can keep track of where they are that way. Also, as the cans are loaded onto the airplane the specific number and can location onboard is kept track of and inputted into the computer before the flight leaves.

Given that cans are standardized, and since they have the universal lettering program -- they can easily be leased to other airlines for longer periods of time or loaned for one-off occasions. Airlines try and not to loan too many of them or loan them for flights to odd destinations, because getting them back can become logistically challenging. For example, if LH needed to borrow a UA can for its DEN-FRA flight, and once it is in FRA they can either send it back to DEN on their next LH flight or just take it the UA ULD yard in FRA and it will eventually make it back into the UA system. You just want to make sure you keep your cans in cities with a lot of widebody flights.

Sometimes airlines do lose track of cans, and they end up in "boneyards" at some corner of the airport. UA may think it is in LAX according to the last report, but somehow it is sitting in PHX between a hangar and a dumpster and is used as a small hiding place for workers to take a quick smoke. Tracking systems have gotten much better and airlines care a lot more now, so it's unlikely cans will be lost now, but more likely the lost cans you see are from a time when the tracking systems weren't used. It's only as good as the data put into it.

JAGflyer

Mon May 08, 2017 12:38 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
JAGflyer wrote:

Sometimes airlines do lose track of cans, and they end up in "boneyards" at some corner of the airport. UA may think it is in LAX according to the last report, but somehow it is sitting in PHX between a hangar and a dumpster and is used as a small hiding place for workers to take a quick smoke.

Oh yes, I've seen plenty of cans in strange areas of the airport. There are a few ancient BWIA ones at YYZ which would have been from when they operated L1011s.

shuttle9juliet

Sun May 14, 2017 10:17 am

FGITD wrote:

There are all sorts of uld types, with different designations. AKH , AKN, PAG, PMC, and many many more.

In general for ULD identification, the type comes first (AKE) followed by an ID number, followed by the airline code. So for example, BA might have AKE02345BA

At BA we use AKEs on the 767

trijetsonly

Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 am

shuttle9juliet wrote:
FGITD wrote:

At BA we use AKEs on the 767

But that's a waste of cargo space.

Even worse, it requires the use of an additional cargo lateral imbalance control (CLIM) what may reduce the maximum allowed takeoff weight.