Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kitplane01
Topic Author

Foreign Airline Security Rules

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:08 pm

The US government, to a certain degree, dictates to foreign airports and foreign airlines the security they must do overseas to fly to the US. For example, the US government describes the type of security screening that happens overseas for flights coming to the US.

Do other governments do this? Does Israel, Singapore, and Mexico have rules that mandate what happens in overseas airports for flights destined to their country, or is the US special in this way?

-Just Curious how this works ...

a340crew

Re: Foreign Airline Security Rules

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 pm

I guess you have never walked by the boarding area for a flight going from the US to TLV.

But yes the first one that comes to mind is flights from the US to TLV. They have a lot of additional security protocol.

LGAviation

Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm

a340crew wrote:
I guess you have never walked by the boarding area for a flight going from the US to TLV.

But yes the first one that comes to mind is flights from the US to TLV. They have a lot of additional security protocol.

With Israel though I have a feeling that some requirements are more airline based than government mandated. I once boarded a PC flight to TLV out of SAW and literally nothing was out of the ordinary. The flight next to us was bound for BEY which made for a pretty interesting waiting lounge.

To add to the list, Australia bound flights certainly usually incur an additional screening focussing on a manual inspection of cabin baggage for liquids which I found is quite ironic given that Australia is one of the few countries to not impose any restrictions on liquids on domestic flights.

aklrno

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:47 pm

When in SFO terminal G in the evening I've heard announcements requiring passengers on the UA TLV flight must report to the gate about 2 hours before the flight for Israeli government required security checks. I'll be on that flight myself in a few months so I'm getting to SFO extra early. Anyone know if you then have to stay in the gate lounge until boarding or can you go back to the Polaris lounge.?

Cush

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:50 pm

I was on a flight from Dubai to Washington D.C. and the security was insane! I have never been through so many checks in my life.... Then when I got to the gate, they literally made me go through it again, along with a hand search of my entire carry on suitcase. My laptop was totally dead, and they wouldn't let me take it with me unless i could power it on, however, my charger was in my checked baggage.... Ugh what an experience!

zeke

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 pm

The LAG requiemments into Australia seem to be the same as the US.

B777LRF

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:30 am

In short, any national aviation authority may impose rules which any airline serving the territory they regulate must follow. It's just that the US is such a huge and important market, rules imposed by the FAA tend to impact most major international airlines of the world. If, on the other hand, the Phillippines imposed a set of very stringent rules, only a small handful of international airlines would be impacted.

To wit, Mahan Air of Iran are required by Iranian law to carry on-board armed guards. That may run contrary to rules by some NAAs, specifically they had to drop services to a number of European destinations when they were 'found out'. Now, Iranian carriers are few and far between internationally, so not a lot of people would have been impacted by the cancellations. But when the US imposes a 'no lap-top in cabin' rule, millions of people will be impacted on a daily basis.

PS
Please reconsider using the word 'foreign' when referring to non-US airlines. To me, and a very large number of people on this board, US airlines are 'foreign'. Suggest using the phrase 'non-US' instead.