Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
A380MSN004
Topic Author
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:24 am

Hi everyone,

The question may be candid but, is this technically legal to fly passengers in crewrest?
I mean passengers would be at their seats and if they want to rest they can go to the crewrest for couple of hours during the flight.

Thanks for your feedback,
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20645
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 am

Local regs caveat as usual.

Pax would not be allowed to use the crew rest since you need to be safety qualified. Trained in smoke hood use, evacuation routes etc.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
A380MSN004
Topic Author
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Ok thanks. I was wondering why no airlines try to do this before. As for instance on A380 there loads of space available on the cargo for instance.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20645
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
Woodreau
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:44 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

If they let passengers sleep in the crew rest, where do the crew go when they are required to take their rest period?
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.
 
A380MSN004
Topic Author
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.


Interesting. Do you have documents about this project?

I found out the bunk beds Airbus project, they file a patent about it =>
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=2015 ... 6RS=airbus
 
CosmicCruiser
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:01 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:13 pm

If they did can you imagine the fights to see who gets the crew rest bunks! Gee, I remember heated arguments over which jump seat someone wanted!
 
trijetsonly
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.


Interesting. Do you have documents about this project?

I found out the bunk beds Airbus project, they file a patent about it =>
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=2015 ... 6RS=airbus



The offer is called Aeroloft, at the bottom of the following link: http://www.greenpnt.com/Greenpoint_Technologies/Commercial.html#aeroloft.
I've seen it in real 747-8 and it's amazing. Too bad no airline went for it so far.

Image
Image
Image
Image

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/08/photos-first-aeroloft-installed-on-a-boeing-747-8i-business-jet/
Happy Landings
 
A380MSN004
Topic Author
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 pm

trijetsonly wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.


Interesting. Do you have documents about this project?

I found out the bunk beds Airbus project, they file a patent about it =>
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=2015 ... 6RS=airbus



The offer is called Aeroloft, at the bottom of the following link: http://www.greenpnt.com/Greenpoint_Technologies/Commercial.html#aeroloft.
I've seen it in real 747-8 and it's amazing. Too bad no airline went for it so far.

Image
Image
Image
Image

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/08/photos-first-aeroloft-installed-on-a-boeing-747-8i-business-jet/


Thank you Trijetsonly, first time i saw it, very interesting.

The aeroloft has been certified for public transportation aswell or just private operation on 747-8i?
 
User avatar
Horstroad
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Ok thanks. I was wondering why no airlines try to do this before. As for instance on A380 there loads of space available on the cargo for instance.

Crew rests are there for a reason. As the name says they are for the crew to rest. The crew rest is not unused space that could be used otherwise.

The cargo compartments aren't either. Even less on the A380. You only have one deck of cargo compartments for two decks of passengers.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20645
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Woodreau wrote:
If they let passengers sleep in the crew rest, where do the crew go when they are required to take their rest period?


I suppose the OP was wondering about two-man sectors when the crew rest is not used anyway.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
User avatar
Kickert
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:34 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 am

Horstroad wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
Ok thanks. I was wondering why no airlines try to do this before. As for instance on A380 there loads of space available on the cargo for instance.

Crew rests are there for a reason. As the name says they are for the crew to rest. The crew rest is not unused space that could be used otherwise.

The cargo compartments aren't either. Even less on the A380. You only have one deck of cargo compartments for two decks of passengers.

As I understand it, the over cabin crew rest areas just take up a fraction of the available space at the back of the plane. I would imagine on a plane like a 777, you could add dozens of additional "sleep pods."
 
A380MSN004
Topic Author
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.


This project would fit with international regulations? It's more or less the same thing as putting pax on crewrest when it's not used.

Thanks for your feedback
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm

The "official" Boeing video would pop up for me on Youtube.com EVERY time, UNTIL the one time I want it and now I can't find it! But here is someone else who posted it. I don't know how far they got with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYAppQ26E2w. Does anyone know how many economy beds they thought they would be able to fit in?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20645
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:31 am

A380MSN004 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
If memory serves, Boeing had this project where there would be bunks in the crown of the plane. So if you flew business you'd sit in a high density economy seat for take-off and landing, then go up to your bunk.

I'd rather lie in the bunk than sit in an economy seat, but it isn't for everyone. If you're more than mildly claustrophobic you'd probably feel enclosed. You're lying in a large "coffin". If I lie on my back I can easily put my hand on the ceiling, and the head end of the bunk is more spacious than the foot end.


This project would fit with international regulations? It's more or less the same thing as putting pax on crewrest when it's not used.

Thanks for your feedback


Presumably to carry passengers, you'd have to make it easier to evacuate in case of smoke and so forth. It woulnd't fly (heh) if you had to train the pax in smoke hood usage before boarding. :D
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
eidvm
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Certain crew rest area's are fitted with jumpseats that are certified for takeoff and landing, certain airlines allow these jumpseats to be occupied by positioning crew or standby staff travel passengers personally known to the crew where there are no regular seats remaining for them, on shorter flights that don't require the use of the bunks, provided they're given an appropriate safety demo.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20645
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am

eidvm wrote:
Certain crew rest area's are fitted with jumpseats that are certified for takeoff and landing, certain airlines allow these jumpseats to be occupied by positioning crew or standby staff travel passengers personally known to the crew where there are no regular seats remaining for them, on shorter flights that don't require the use of the bunks, provided they're given an appropriate safety demo.


At our company the crew rest seats on some aircraft are certified for take-off and landing, but they can only be used by safety qualified personnel, meaning flight and cabin crew plus a smattering of others.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
User avatar
AirlineCritic
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Possible to fly passengers in crewrest?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:57 am

trijetsonly wrote:


Thanks for this. I knew of the option; I hadn't known it had actually been installed. Seems like a good design for the purpose.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leej and 60 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos