Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OKCDCA
Topic Author

In-Flight Services

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Yesterday I flew AA DCA-DFW-OKC for the third time in the last 2 months. Each time the in-flight services from the FA's has been mixed and so I was curious if someone could explain to me the service expectations/standards not just on AA but some of the other carriers as well? The first time, we received two full services on the DCA-DFW leg (approx 3 hour flight) and nothing on DFW-OKC (30 min flight). Second time, on DCA-DFW, one full service then a coffee and water service and attempt at full service on DFW-OKC because the load was light.

I've been on full WN OKC-DAL flights before and received a full beverage service with the FA's taking orders before we pushed and during taxi. I know there model is different from AA but I'm curious why wouldn't AA implement something similar? Also do labor agreements have any stipulations regarding in-flight service or does the carrier set all the standards?

Appreciate the responses!

Rookie87

Re: In-Flight Services

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Hello OKCDCA,
It's against FAA regulations to be in the cabin performing non safety related duties during taxi i.e taking drink orders.

In regards to inconsistencies, don't quote me but I do believe the second flight was the correct procedure (full beverage service+pick up with juice coffee water offered).
DFW to OKC it's supposed to either be a juice and water service or full service time permitting but again I'm not too sure and hopefully someone else can chime in.

WNCrew

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:25 am

OKCDCA wrote:
Yesterday I flew AA DCA-DFW-OKC for the third time in the last 2 months. Each time the in-flight services from the FA's has been mixed and so I was curious if someone could explain to me the service expectations/standards not just on AA but some of the other carriers as well? The first time, we received two full services on the DCA-DFW leg (approx 3 hour flight) and nothing on DFW-OKC (30 min flight). Second time, on DCA-DFW, one full service then a coffee and water service and attempt at full service on DFW-OKC because the load was light.

I've been on full WN OKC-DAL flights before and received a full beverage service with the FA's taking orders before we pushed and during taxi. I know there model is different from AA but I'm curious why wouldn't AA implement something similar? Also do labor agreements have any stipulations regarding in-flight service or does the carrier set all the standards?

Appreciate the responses!

Hey there from WN!

Each carrier is different and there aren't officially any regulations which dictate "service" per se... only when carts and service items can and cannot be out in the cabin. That being said, WN is unique in that it doesn't utilize carts for it's inflight service (it did for a short 4 months on the -800) but we use trays and we hand deliver everything. There are definitely ups and downs to this type of service. On short-haul flights this can help us to get our service out faster than some of our Competitors because it takes much more time to set up and take out a cart. The downside is that it can be very challenging to take orders (which correct, we aren't supposed to take orders during taxi out) set up the galley during climb with everything sliding off the counter, trying to get everything handed out.... and oddly on short-hauls with FAs up it seems that many Customers need to use LAVS which we don't see as much on other carriers.

Our standards dictate that we attempt to offer full service on all flights regardless of length. Even if there's weather enroute, unless our Pilots tell us not to even make an attempt, we should always try. Sometimes we will start out seated, and once we get up we realize we only have 5-10mins which is not enough time to in an effort to serve everyone something we will quickly pour water for everyone, but again, our direction is always that we start out attempting full service.

BravoOne

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:15 pm

I ride both WN and DL between SEA and LAS, The difference in level of service can be night and day, usually if DL favor. I guess WN treid service carts but decided they did not work for their service model.It can take 20 to 30 minutes to get a beverage on WB if your anywhere out of the 1st five rows where in the same amount time DL has provided drinks and snacks. Simply no comparison in the time it takes.

WNCrew

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:27 pm

BravoOne wrote:
I ride both WN and DL between SEA and LAS, The difference in level of service can be night and day, usually if DL favor. I guess WN treid service carts but decided they did not work for their service model.It can take 20 to 30 minutes to get a beverage on WB if your anywhere out of the 1st five rows where in the same amount time DL has provided drinks and snacks. Simply no comparison in the time it takes.

Is it the same if you're sitting in the back of the cabin on DL? Do you get you drink relatively quickly even if you're seated aft?

BravoOne

Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Back of the bus is never quick regardless, but WN is simply very slow to deliver the drinks. First they take take orders, then go back and fill the orders, then they deliver the drinks. It just suprises me as WN is really good at most thing,