Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kitplane01
Topic Author

Common Use Gates

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:51 am

I just learned that Detroit has common use gates, available to multiple airlines. I always thought th his was a Euorpean thing. How common are common use gates at airports in the US?

VS4ever

Re: Common Use Gates

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:19 am

Terminal E at BOS is technically all common use, although due to the location of the new lounges, the likes of EK and BA do tend to use certain specific gates. The rest are fair game. The other terminals are all shared rather than true common use as in the airlines tend to use the same gates they are assigned to within the terminal.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

hnl808

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 am

HNL and YVR are set-up as common use gates although some carriers have preferred gates and like to utilize the same gates.

Common use gates are very common thought the USA and Canada. ARINC and SITA are the two biggest providers for the computer systems at these common use gates.

KanaHawaii

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:30 am

Technically Honolulu is also common use. However, it would seem that airlines that use certain areas more than others are able to keep their signage in the area. The ticket counters are, though, assigned to airlines.

B777LRF

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am

kitplane01 wrote:
I always thought this was a European thing.

Truth be told, sole-use gates is a US/Canadian thing - the rest of the world use common gates, except where a whole terminal is dedicated to a sole carrier. But those are few and far between; LHR T5 and DXB T3 are among the very few.
Signature. You just read one.

United_fan

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

SNA has / had common use,IIRC
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:04 pm

MYR is completely common-use as well.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

e38

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:56 pm

kitplane01, as other posters have mentioned, common use gates are fairly "common" at many U.S. airports. However, it has not always been that way but has become more widespread in the last ten years or so as computer systems have become more sophisticated and air service has become much more dynamic.

Keep in mind, prior to the deregulation act of 1978, the airlines that served most airports in the United States was fairly constant, unless approved by the Civil Aeronautics Board. Also, the schedules of the airlines was somewhat structured. As a result, airport gates were generally "dedicated" and airlines maintained their own corporate logos in those gate areas. There were, of course, charter (or supplemental) airlines, but at some airports, they had separate terminals and ground operations were handled by third party vendors. At LAX, for example, most charter airlines used the West Imperial Terminal, while at JFK, the supplemental carriers used what I believe was called the North Terminal.

In today's environment, service is much more dynamic and changes frequently--think Allegiant and Swif tAir--whereby they may only serve a particular airport a couple of times a week, or perhaps a couple of times a year.

As a result, Common Use Terminal Equipment (CUTE) became much more common as a way to better utilize gates and provide much more flexibility for airport authorities.

When you mentioned Detroit, I assume you mean the North Terminal, particularly those gates which serve such carriers as Royal Jordanian, Frontier, jetBlue, Alaska, etc.

e38

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 pm

e38 wrote:
As a result, Common Use Terminal Equipment (CUTE) became much more common as a way to better utilize gates and provide much more flexibility for airport authorities.

The part of this argument I’ve never understood is that few or no airports need the flexibility of 100 percent CUTE. How does CDG benefit from CUTE at 2F (other than of charging per-use lets them get more money from AF)?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

JBusworth

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:08 am

I have found that common use gates are prevalent across the US and Europe. Here in Australia, we typically have either whole terminals or specific gates assigned to each airline for Domestic flights, with international flights leaving from common use gates in seperate terminals.

nws2002

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:35 am

Almost every airport in the US has at least a few common use gates. They may not be setup with the CUTE computers and everything, but they are available to all airlines that may need them.

I know gate B4 at TUL was common use, although mostly used by United and Allegiant. I think they moved Allegiant over to the A concourse recently though.